50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 08, 2013, 06:01:25 PM
Great work Gregory.. gonna give it a go right after my video shoot with your awesome May, 28th Build  8)  I also see that you enabled ETTR on the new one.. How can I enable ETTR on the May 28th build?

hey goldenchild9to5,
been an amazing week in ML coding history and ETTR and AutoETTR is part of the story.
you have to get the latest edition to get all of the ETTR goodness (say goodbye to AutoISO if you liked that).

wiping a card and resetting camera to see if  my new unified build can run well for me.

sounds like rockfallfilms is getting good results with it.

rockfallfilms

Quotebeen an amazing week in ML coding history and ETTR and AutoETTR is part of the story.
you have to get the latest edition to get all of the ETTR goodness (say goodbye to AutoISO if you liked that).

Is AutoETTR enabled in the latest 50D unified build?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 08, 2013, 06:09:17 PM
hey goldenchild9to5,
been an amazing week in ML coding history and ETTR and AutoETTR is part of the story.

wiping a card and resetting camera to see if  my new unified build can run well for me.

WOW!!!  ;D Great work man you don't sleep hugh.. So that means with your new build ETTR and Auto ETTR is an option (Auto ISO) gone Lol..  that's amazing work man I didn't think it would advance soo fast, and your May 28th Build set the bar way high but it seems you have surpassed your own threshold.  Got one last question with the new ETTR modes advances does that help eliminate those nasty noise patterns from the Images? specially present in low light off course. 

menoc

Getting a solid 56 mb/s at 1600/16:9, 3:2 is also good (about 4 stars) at 62 mb/s . . . shooting with global draw on " ALL Modes" (everything else off). Will try Auto ETTR, seems to be awesome!

CaptainOfObvious

Doing some stress testing to see what's stable and not. Seems totally stable with global draw off at 1592x896. What's even better is that I can shoot with Raw histogram and zoom box (but only periodically turning it on and off to check focus, if kept on it will fill the buffer) and it seems relatively stable.

a1ex

Raw histogram is a low-priority task, so it should be OK. Zoom is one of the most CPU-intensive overlays, try to avoid it.

CaptainOfObvious

Good to know, thanks a1ex. Yeah when I turn on the zoombox, I can see the buffer start to fill, however when I turn it off it goes back down, where as focus peaking just fills the buffer very quickly. So you wouldn't recommend periodically using magic zoom just to check focus quickly and turning it back off?

Oh and RAW Zebras while recording seems like a no go, quickly fills buffer.

a1ex

These are high priority tasks, because they refresh quickly. The priority was tweaked so they don't affect Canon's H.264 recording, but raw recording needs pretty much all the resources it can get.

On 5D3 I notice a 2-3 MB speed drop with raw zebra and peaking enabled, but the task scheduler on 50D/5D2/500D is quite a bit behind 550D and newer cameras.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: a1ex on June 08, 2013, 06:40:14 PM
Raw histogram is a low-priority task, so it should be OK. Zoom is one of the most CPU-intensive overlays, try to avoid it.

New unified build very stable without Global Draw on just recorded a 9GB file only stays on 1 star amazing..

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 08, 2013, 06:09:17 PM
hey goldenchild9to5,

Reporting back, Just gave the new Unified build a test run man oh man extremely stable just recorded past 9GB had to stop it only stays on (*.....) pans aperture adjutments don't effect it at all nice work man.  The only drawback is when I enable Global Draw buffer fills-up very quickly it was the same in the may, 28th build so it's no big deal for me I think I might have to shoot video on this new build  ;D   I'm gonna keep testing it.  One last thing how do you access the ETTR modes can't seem to find it in the menu. 

JulianH

Just read the whole Auto ETTR topic. Didn't look into it before since I always shoot manual for video anyway, but this looks rather interesting. Curious what the results will be, going to give it a try!

rawmania

@Julian
Hi Julian
May you tell here how is possible ( in 28 build, 50d, M (manual) mode) to have in the LCD the ACTUAL exposure?
I have always a kind of constant exposure in LCD whatever the shutter, iso or T stop i set.
Regards and go 50d!

rommex

Hello people,

A couple of days I made a decision to go for 50D. Couldn't resist this RAW monster :)

I loaned a fast x1000 card and did my first test shoot.

But I was surprised (in a bad way) with moire. Is it something to leave with? Or can you suggest any solution?

Thanks!

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: rommex on June 08, 2013, 08:44:46 PM
Hello people,

A couple of days I made a decision to go for 50D. Couldn't resist this RAW monster :)

But I was surprised (in a bad way) with moire. Is it something to leave with? Or can you suggest any solution?

Thanks!

There is a ton of fine line detail in those shots, I'm not surprised. Look for the money this camera shooting RAW is insanely good, no doubt about it. With that being said it's far from perfect, I personally think it's aliasing (even more so than the moire it exhibits) is pretty darn poor.

What resolution did you shoot at?

artiswar

Hello people,

Thanks!

Have you sharpened this?

a1ex

The only good fixes for aliasing are crop mode or the Mosaic filter (which afaik doesn't fit on the 50D).

rommex

As per questions to my frames:

- I have not applied sharpness
- I shot with the max resolution for 50D - that was the main idea behind loaning a fast card
- one frame is 100% crop and the other is enlarged to 1920x1080

GregoryOfManhattan

beyond 1k - my 08June13 build is a cinema camera - getting stable 2000x720 14bit raw video - wow!

~/bin/raw2dng /Volumes/transfer/ML-TEST/M08-1349-combined.RAW
Resolution  : 2000 x 750
Frames      : 6979
Frame size  : 2625536 bytes
Frame skip  : 1
FPS         : 24.000
Processing frame 1 of 6979...
Vertical stripes correction:
  1.000  1.000  0.994  0.991  1.000  1.003  0.997  0.994
Processing frame 4679 of 6979...

shooting GD enabled (had to turn off everything)
Hack mode
stable @62.5MB/s

note, it is possible to get your 50D into a very weird state as i did this morning and have it show the Canon GUI.
if you see things like that - reset everything and go through the checklist of settings (which i wish were edited into the first post of this thread)

goldenchild9to5

Hello people,

Thanks!

I'm not sure how your getting all that Moire must be a setting, or setting maybe the way your converting your Raw to DNG.  My 50D has little to none moire & aliasing, don't get me wrong it's present but not like what I'm seeing here.  Let me know your conversion process after shooting. 

a1ex

Cool, that's almost 2K.

Can you get a screenshot with the latest changeset? I've modified the speed calculation routine to include only the time used for writing to card (idle time is displayed separately, if any).

There's also a minor speed optimization, but it doesn't seem to make any difference on 5D3.

P.S. What's the point in quoting a huge image 5 times?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 08, 2013, 09:03:44 PM
beyond 1k - my 08June13 build is a cinema camera - getting stable 2000x720 14bit raw video - wow!

~/bin/raw2dng /Volumes/transfer/ML-TEST/M08-1349-combined.RAW
Resolution  : 2000 x 750
Frames      : 6979
Frame size  : 2625536 bytes
Frame skip  : 1
FPS         : 24.000
Processing frame 1 of 6979...
Vertical stripes correction:
  1.000  1.000  0.994  0.991  1.000  1.003  0.997  0.994
Processing frame 4679 of 6979...

shooting GD enabled (had to turn off everything)
Hack mode
stable @62.5MB/s

note, it is possible to get your 50D into a very weird state as i did this morning and have it show the Canon GUI.
if you see things like that - reset everything and go through the checklist of settings (which i wish were edited into the first post of this thread)

In what mode are you getting (2000x720) ?  is it on 5X or 10X mode, or regular 16:9 aspect ratio?   I was just reviewing some footage that I just shot with the new Unified build it seems that the shadows are really getting crushed, I'm seeing less detail in the shadows than in the May 28th Build.   

rockfallfilms

Quote from: a1ex on June 08, 2013, 08:53:38 PM
The only good fixes for aliasing are crop mode or the Mosaic filter (which afaik doesn't fit on the 50D).

I emailed Mosaic Engineering to ask if they might make a filter for the 50D. Not heard back yet but who knows, maybe if everyone does it then it may make them consider it?

contact "at" mosaicengineering.com

rommex

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 08, 2013, 09:09:40 PM
I'm not sure how your getting all that Moire must be a setting, or setting maybe the way your converting your Raw to DNG.  My 50D has little to none moire & aliasing, don't get me wrong it's present but not like what I'm seeing here.  Let me know your conversion process after shooting.

I do hope there something in the conversion, or else my investment is futile.

I did Raw2DNG -> Import to AE CS5.5 -> Save Frame

JulianH

Moire and aliasing... Heavily  dependent on the shooting situation of course. For the anamorphic video I made, everything at f/8/11/16 a few shots were useless. Still, I got plenty of high detail shots without much problems.

After that I haven't experienced moire so bad as with that example. Could it be dependent on the build as well or is that impossible? Shot mostly lowlight lately at bigger apertures so it makes sense it showed up less.

I think it's pretty workable and you can get around it in most situations. Will experiment more with high detail settings.

One thing I do for sure is disabling sharpening when converting the dngs. I do add it but only after resizing to my desired resolution.

rommex

Quote from: JulianH on June 08, 2013, 09:25:19 PM

One thing I do for sure is disabling sharpening when converting the dngs. I do add it but only after resizing to my desired resolution.

Julian, how do I do that? thanks