50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Well 50D is stateside... but not in my hands yet. I want to work on stuff like this... ie getting 50D up to speed with its brother the 5DII, display filters, etc.

Also want to see how far I can push H264 with infinite write speed and huge buffers :)

menoc

Quote from: 1% on June 08, 2013, 04:33:54 PM
Well 50D is stateside... but not in my hands yet. I want to work on stuff like this... ie getting 50D up to speed with its brother the 5DII, display filters, etc.

Also want to see how far I can push H264 with infinite write speed and huge buffers :)

uhhh . . . . I'm salivating at 60-120fps H.264 :)

1%

I wish... the IC doing the encoding can't handle over 36.. I can't break physics. But probably 200MB/s H264 and hopefully native 24/25P. This is one of the only cameras that will probably do *GOOD* all-I.

5d2 has no 720P.. I'll look tho.

rockfallfilms

Tried to shoot some stuff earlier, the 1st couple of shots were fine and recorded at 59mb/s then the write speed dropped to 45mb/s and the buffer filled quickly. I can't seem to get it back to recording at 59mb/s

I've formatted the card in the camera etc, anyone else noticed a sudden drop in write speeds?

I'm using 28th build shooting at 1592x896 on 64gb komputerbay card.

menoc

Quote from: 1% on June 08, 2013, 04:58:46 PM
I wish... the IC doing the encoding can't handle over 36.. I can't break physics. But probably 200MB/s H264 and hopefully native 24/25P. This is one of the only cameras that will probably do *GOOD* all-I.

:( Bummer . . . . maybe at 720 or even 640p- I'll take 640p/60

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 08, 2013, 02:25:54 PM

should load on top of my 28May13 build, smeangols or ML 2.3 -
re-format card
delete ML Config
replace AUTOEXEC.bin
replace MODULES folder

First off, thanks for the update! I seem to be having problems though, I replaced autoexec.bin and the modules folder but when booted up inside my camera trying to load the raw module I get the error:
"A:/ML/MODULES/MAGIC.SYM': File does not exist"

So when I take the MAGIC.SYM file from the May 28th build and place it into the modules folder I then get this error:
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'WAV_StopRecord'
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'vram_clear_lv'
[E] Failed to link modules

If I made a foolish error in replacing those files I apologize in advance.

menoc

Quote from: CaptainOfObvious on June 08, 2013, 05:15:34 PM
First off, thanks for the update! I seem to be having problems though, I replaced autoexec.bin and the modules folder but when booted up inside my camera trying to load the raw module I get the error:
"A:/ML/MODULES/MAGIC.SYM': File does not exist"

So when I take the MAGIC.SYM file from the May 28th build and place it into the modules folder I then get this error:
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'WAV_StopRecord'
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'vram_clear_lv'
[E] Failed to link modules

If I made a foolish error in replacing those files I apologize in advance.

Yes. Exactly the same here . .  . had to revert to 28th build.

GregoryOfManhattan

double checked armed and fully operational - so yes active and moving during raw_rec

on 28May13, i could record 57MB/s with Graphics Draw on with Histogram, Waveform -
pic.twitter.com/g3ACzE2Ux9
(should have had Exp Simulation On ).

could there be a more simple solution - it seems that this lack of canon_gui deactivation occurred during code changes the past week?

for example, poking around in changes
hg diff -r caffd8a src/| grep canon_gui
see that UNAVI_FEEDBACK_TIMER_ACTIVE  is not defined in platform/50D.109/consts.h
this week the logic in src/gui_common.c is  changed using UNAVI_FEEDBACK_TIMER_ACTIVE
i just tried a quick edit to gui-common.c to force the call to   canon_gui_disable_front_buffer();
that doesn't help the frame rates - though it does turn off the visible canon gui.

so issue appears more complicated.

menoc

Quote from: 1% on June 08, 2013, 04:58:46 PM

Question:  Would all-I help with moire??

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: menoc on June 08, 2013, 05:17:14 PM
Yes. Exactly the same here . .  . had to revert to 28th build.

hold on - MAGIC.SYM must match the AUTOEXEC.BIN
must be bad upload.

GregoryOfManhattan

CaptainOfObvious and Menoc thank you for bug report.

First unified build for 50D raw video -
https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/08June13-50D-UNIFIED.zip

so now you can replace MODULES folder with this one.
you don't need FILE_MAN or BOLT_REC they are optional new modules i was looking at today.

for raw recording you must have an
AUTOEXEC.BIN and its matching
ML/MODULES/MAGIC.SYM and of course the
ML/MODULES/RAW_REC.MO module.

GregoryOfManhattan

@1% any thoughts on the canon gui issue and recording frame rate slowing down over the past week of code updates?

have put up a build from the unified branch with all of the current code, so if there is any tests which could be done before you have the camera, just ask and the 50D users can try things out and post results.

1%

Will have to test and see why its getting enabled. I'll put them up as I make em. The only thing I can benfit from is getting the rom so I can start disassembling it.

a1ex

Just look at CONFIG_KILL_FLICKER ifdefs and you'll see why it's getting enabled.

JulianH

Quote from: a1ex on June 08, 2013, 03:04:37 PM
90MB on write speed? that puts it in the same league as 5D3...
We only see those speeds with benchmark in playback mode. In LV it benchmarks lower.
I don't know the cause of that or the difficulties behind it, would it be possible to speed up writing in LV? The camera seems capable of it..

Can't wait to try the new build. First thing when I get home later today :)

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 08, 2013, 05:35:00 PM

https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/08June13-50D-UNIFIED.zip

you don't need FILE_MAN or BOLT_REC they are optional new modules i was looking at today.

That did it! Thanks GregoryOfManhattan

On another more depressing note, just as user rockfallfilms has experienced my card has seem to suddenly drop in write speeds, from about 57-60mb/s to 45-48ish, buffer fills quickly and recording stops. That's at 1592x896, I'll try some lower resolutions and report back in.

EDIT: Oh god I'm a dummy -_- forgot to reenable fps override after updating to newest build. Sorry for the false alarm.

rockfallfilms

QuoteTried to shoot some stuff earlier, the 1st couple of shots were fine and recorded at 59mb/s then the write speed dropped to 45mb/s and the buffer filled quickly. I can't seem to get it back to recording at 59mb/s

I've formatted the card in the camera etc, anyone else noticed a sudden drop in write speeds?

I'm using 28th build shooting at 1592x896 on 64gb komputerbay card.

I repartitioned the card in my mac and then reformatted in camera, write speed is now back up to 59mb/s. The card must have corrupted somehow.

a1ex

Most likely CPU or DMA is overloaded with something else; disabling certain stuff (Canon GUI, maybe LiveView display) helps.

On 50D only, to disable Canon GUI, enable Global Draw.

What changeset are you running? There should not be any drops in write speeds, unless you have enabled zebras or focus peaking or who knows what other CPU-intensive stuff.

menoc

Terrific work Greg. ALL is good.

rockfallfilms

QuoteWhat changeset are you running? There should not be any drops in write speeds, unless you have enabled zebras or focus peaking or who knows what other CPU-intensive stuff.

Global draw etc off. the first 3 files were fine at 59mb/s then the write speed dropped on any further files i tried to record.

Formatting in camera didn't change anything but repartitioning and then formatting put the write speed back to 59mb/s

rockfallfilms

@GregoryOfManhattan

Thanks for getting the 50D into the unified build:

Just did a test and got 57mb/s constant, only 1 buffer star and no Canon overlays.

Global draw off
24fps
1584x892

Seems to be working for me.

dacssfreak

Quote from: Roman on June 08, 2013, 01:22:05 PM
Right you are! Sorry didnt realise that's what it did, haha.

Im glad I could help  ;)

goldenchild9to5

Great work Gregory.. gonna give it a go right after my video shoot with your awesome May, 28th Build  8)  I also see that you enabled ETTR on the new one.. How can I enable ETTR on the May 28th build?

GregoryOfManhattan

that is great news rockfallfilms - let me go through my settings then, i keeps changing so many things and finding creative ways to break my camera - i'll go back to defaults and go through my checklist.

FYI when a1ex asks what changeset we are running - you can see it at the bottom of the ML Help tab
file - https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/08June13-50D-UNIFIED.zip
is:
Mercurial changeset: 68208a7efac3 (unified)

rockfallfilms

Ah right, I wondered what that meant  :)

With global draw on I get 45mb/s.