50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simulacro

artiswar

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 08, 2013, 03:25:36 AM
Guy's new update their is a converter developed by the RareVision guys the ones who developed 5DtoRGB.  Basically it's a Raw to CinemaDNG converter that means you can import right into Davinci Resolve 9 to edit and color footages that's big.  Here is the link to topic and download link should be the second post

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6218.50

Any luck processing spanned clips? Highlight and shadow recovery akin to the ACR workflow?

evanamorphic

Quote from: JulianH on June 07, 2013, 11:50:05 PM
Found some time to edit my shots I made earlier this week.

Experimented with a new workflow, I wanted something faster than ACR/Bridge, so I used RAWanizer to convert to CineformRAW 444 (about 10 minutes for 21GB of footage), graded the clips in Davincie Resolve Lite 9 and edited in Premiere CS6.

More details (and download option) on vimeo.
Shot with the 28th May build by Gregory.

Julian, did you get small squared noise patterns when using that workflow? I tried the RAWanizer + CineForm combo and I got some very unusual results...

paulforte

Quote from: araucaria on June 06, 2013, 07:13:08 PM

Has onyone tried out a 600x Komputerbay card? If anyone has and gets continuos rec on 1:1 I will go for that one.

Just got my 600x Komputerbay 32 from Amazon and tested it. No go. Cannot get more than 100 frames, 25.2 MB/s. Gonna return it.  My 1000x's 64 and 32 work well.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on June 08, 2013, 04:56:16 AM
Any luck processing spanned clips? Highlight and shadow recovery akin to the ACR workflow?

Haven't tried but I will.. Yep you can recover Highlight and shadows actually you can put it in Log mode which is nice a flat BMC looking image just tried it, it's very nice.  The other plus also is that Davinci upscales the footage for you automatically & to tell you the truth I can't tell the difference between the original and upscaled version.  Give it a go when you can..

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: paulforte on June 08, 2013, 05:02:40 AM
Just got my 600x Komputerbay 32 from Amazon and tested it. No go. Cannot get more than 100 frames, 25.2 MB/s. Gonna return it.  My 1000x's 64 and 32 work well.

1000X is always a safe bet, sorry it didn't work-out for you with that card now it's going to be another wait to get new one. 

Roman

Okay so I'm sure we're all totally amazed at what the 50D can do, especially since it never came with video for starters!

However, there are still a few realistic ways I think it could be better.
Since I'm not technically capable of programming Magic Lantern in any which way, I thought I'd put together a wish list for futre 50D video features, as follows...

1. A hard upper limit to exposure time, of 1/fps when raw video mode is turned on. i.e. it will not let you shift the exposure time beyond 1/24th of a second if you are shooting 24fps.

2. Tying into the above, exposure time indicated in degrees, 180, 275, etc.

3. Clarification on real exposure time, when fps override is turned on. For example, if you set the camera to 1/250th of a second when at 30fps, and then set fps override to 24fps... Is it still 1/250th? Or is it 1/250th * (30/24) ?    If it's the latter, then updating exposure time to match FPS would be handy. (And make sure the 360 degree exposure time matches fps override, instead of 30fps still)

4. Perhaps far fetched, but there was mention that there could possibly be other native video modes apart from 30fps?
Perhaps would help with the above scenario if there was a native 24fps setting floating around somewhere in the camera already.

5. Sticky DOF automatically working when you hit the record button. As it's quite cumbersome to use electronic lenses at the moment.

6. Not 50D specific, but I find it a real pain to autofocus in video mode, and usually only do it at the start of a shot. So what I tend to do, (if not manually focus0 is turn liveview off, autofocus the camera the 'normal' way, (as this works very quickly) and then switch it back to liveview and go from there. Would it be possible to automate this sequence? Live view off > autofocus > focus confirmation > liveview on? Assuming anyone else would find that handy of course. If that could be automated to a half shutter press or something, it would be freaken sweet.

So just a few thoughts, anyone else got any other (realistic) suggestions?

djfremen

1. A non-cumbersome way of loading video modules.
2. 2353x1568 @ 23.98 FPS
3. 12-bit HDMI out ;)

John-Jo

Anyone else having issues reviewing images? I used to be able to see the first frame of a raw file, and select and delete. Now i just get "no image"?
Sandisk 32GB
28th build - G. Manhattan

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: First time I was using ML Raw it was an old version... image play back says something about only being enabled in photo mode? was this a change in the 28th may build?

Also just bout go go look for info on file spanning. currently @ 1280 x 720 I can only go up to 2.7GB files. On a slow card hence aonly 1280 x 720. 60mb/s getting about 44.5 mb/s. 720 is only about 37 ish Mb/s... so not the card limiting.
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

dacssfreak

Roman, i dont get the problem with the Sticky DOF. As soon as you Enable Exp. Override it changes the Aperture right after you dialed it in. Where's your problem?

JulianH

Quote from: djfremen on June 08, 2013, 01:08:36 AM
Can you post your computer specs Julian. Mac or PC/Hackintosh?
Windows 7, Core i5 2400, 16GB, GeForce GTX660 (for Resolve), 180GB ssd for OS/programs.

Pretty midrange by now. Nothing extreme,  but enough. Just going to get another 256GB SSD to put the project files on. Now i was working from my normal hdd since my 1st ssd is pretty full.

LEVISDAVIS

... Had the same experience. The first time I shot raw I was also able to view independent clips and delete. In addition, at one point, I was able to adjust through multiple shots and actually choose which file to playback.

... Also, I have now tested three different Canon 50D cameras. One camera in particular, having what appears to be a late model serial number will not record past a 2:1 aspect ratio w/ a 64GB 1000x Komputerbay card. Using the same card, I am able to shoot 5:3 aspect ratio continuously on what appears to be a much earlier model number. It's even recording steady at 64MB/s. Finally, had another 50D that featured a great deal of stuck pixels. I applied a 5 minute manual sensor clean, same technique that repaired the early model 50D model with nearly 40,000 click, however, I was not able to test the camera with the 64GB 1000x. I'm not sure what to do for those who have this issue... Might be an issue for other? It's good to know that this camera was recording 2:1 continously on a Komputerbay 128GB 1000x. Based on these tests, yes, the 64GB 1000x is much faster. However, there may be variations in camera technology within the 50D production period.

Camera settings are specifically reduced for optimal resolution during raw recording... Been following each of our posts and have compiled a number of test shots. Finding the camera to perform stunningly when practicing ETTR (exposure to the right)... Always finding incredible dynamic range and very minimal noise, including ISO 3200.

Having difficulties getting past the built in "screen-like" grid pattern when viewed at %200 or more. It appears to be the foregoing limitation to adjusting the image's sharpness. In many ways, it also creates a "max resolution" appearance to the image. It is a 14-bit image, however, this grid pattern is more of a step back from 14 bit. It's almost as though its a 10-bit limitation?

Can't say enough about how exciting this development is! Seems there is so much room to express cinema photography that it's time to truly say, "This is the way to go!" Way to go everyone! Thanks so much ML Team & Testers!

Canon 50D May 28th Build... Nikon Nikkor AI-s lens kit, Komputerbay 64GB 1000x cards.
Levi S. Davis

bzhwindtalker

Hey guys, I switched my t2I for a 50D (coming in the mail). Do the 50D have a sync beep option in raw video? Having this feature could be very usefull to sync the footage with an external recorder. I know the 50D does not have a speaker but maybe the AF confirm or timer beeps could be used for this?

If it's already done, did someone test it in a project?
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

JulianH

LEVISDAVIS, interesting theory. I guess it could be possible that canon has used different cf card controllers over the years.

novielo

Now that was a surprise:
Went to the post office yesterday to pick up the 50d i ordered from soith korea.
First, it took only 4 days from there to canada!
Went back home hoping that everything would work as it should on the camera, that the battery get a decent amount of time to work with, etc. The camera looks like it hass been refurb, minor signs of use, almost like new.
Checked the current firmware on the card ... Ish.... 1.0.3 damn the cam is freaaking old...
I installed ML unified on an old cf card I had.
Whent to see how many shutter actuations: 2k.... What?? Cool!!!

Now today I'm going to get a card reader to install raw recording on a 16gb 1000x lexar.
My card reader built in a mpc1000 usb 1.1 just can't take something that big. It's long tedious and simply doesn't work

Roman

Whoa 2k shutter count! Nice. I was pretty happy with 18k, which is still quite low for a 5+ year old camera.

Quote from: dacssfreak on June 08, 2013, 11:17:57 AM
Roman, i dont get the problem with the Sticky DOF. As soon as you Enable Exp. Override it changes the Aperture right after you dialed it in. Where's your problem?

Right you are! Sorry didnt realise that's what it did, haha.

GregoryOfManhattan

so let it be written (commit  8118ed9)
so let it be done. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQnxlHZsjY if you don't know the movie)

it is official - 50D raw video is now part of the unified branch of Magic Lantern.

Giovanni C reviewed and merged the code this hour.
there was some question about leaving Silent Pictures enabled by default and Silent Pics are in.

in terms of the 50D playing nice with the latest modules, users mk11174, Chucho and Coutts provided key information.

this code matches the build i posted yesterday
https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/07June13-50DrawNow-bbf358d.zip
which has Silent Pics, AutoETTR and all the newest ML code (up to around 20130607-1200 UTC time).

sent out an email to the testers yesterday and haven't heard reports of disastrous occurrences (there have been 70 downloads).

should load on top of my 28May13 build, smeangols or ML 2.3 -
re-format card
delete ML Config
replace AUTOEXEC.bin
replace MODULES folder

WARNING: may not record faster than my 28May13 build.  so if you are shooting a music video this weekend, you may not want to "upgrade".  it's easy to switch back anyway.

hope this helps.

a1ex

WARNING: may not record faster than my 28May13 build.  so if you are shooting a music video this weekend, you may not want to "upgrade".

Huh?!

GregoryOfManhattan

with latest merged code, i am not getting steady recordings at the same rates as code from last week.
can recod stable raw video, but not for example continuous 1920x720 until the card is full.
have only tried with one komputerbay card.
hoped to get more feedback.

a1ex

The benchmark code wasn't touched since then...

90MB on write speed? that puts it in the same league as 5D3...

Is ML properly disabling Canon GUI while recording raw? (to check, enable Canon histogram, it should freeze or disappear while recording)

GregoryOfManhattan

do you mean this Canon gui
https://twitter.com/GregoryOnRoad/status/343361207354396672/photo/1
?

love that histogram - cuold be helpful for exposure though i'd only be recording at 10 frames/ second

a1ex

Yes. Does Canon histogram stop updating while shooting raw video?

Canon histogram is not relevant for exposing raw btw. Use ML raw histogram for that.

GregoryOfManhattan

went outside - couldn't easily post photo
now witness the firepower of this armed and fully operational (canon gui)
https://twitter.com/GregoryOnRoad/status/343361207354396672/photo/1

yes the canon gui is active during raw video recording

GregoryOfManhattan

for those following along at home, the empire strikes back and the canon gui is showing up during raw recording in my recent build.
you do NOT want the canon gui during raw recording as it will slow it down.
ideally you'd want to use magic lantern histogram and spot exposure during raw recording.
(waveform is based on YUV not raw so it may not be entirely accurate during raw recording)

a1ex

Active and moving? that's not quite good.

The only easy solution that I see right now is to try globaldraw on and all other things disabled.

Or... hack the CONFIG_KILL_FLICKER code so Canon GUI can be disabled from some other tasks too. Not sure what is the best way to implement this; maybe a reference counting like LV RAW mode from raw.c.