50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddmanrich

Quote from: menoc on June 06, 2013, 01:07:37 AM

Set the following:

ISO:  100-200 (actually the ISO Does not matter so much use whatever ISO you need)
FPS override:  23.988 (Don't use 24 exact, use optimized for low light instead)

Canon Menus:

Set Qualiy to: JPEG Large Only - NO RAW

Settings in C.Fn II: Image

High ISO speed Noise Reduction:  Disable
Auto Lighting Optimizer:  Disable
Highlight Tone Priority:  Disable
Long Exposure Noise Reduction:  OFF

Global Draw:  set it to "LiveView" (Turn off peaking and all other global draw settings)

RAW Video Settings:

Raw Video Resolution:  1600 (it will default to 1592)
Raw Video Ratio:  3:2 or 16:9
Sound:  OFF
Hacked Mode: ON

Shoot something for a while . . . . 1600 resolution & 16:9 ratio is the most stable.

Just did my first test using the above settings and Gregory's May 28th build with a Transcend 32gb 100x card. First time I started recording, it stopped after 120 frames. Started it right away again and it recorded till the card was full. Constant 57MB/s.

Nachelsoul

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 07, 2013, 05:16:34 AM
hi all, update on my builds and code for the 50D.

i got my 50D via craigslist in the US on Sunday May 26th, i signed into this forum the next day and did a magic lantern install.
had as many of you been following the various camera raw video forums as well as looking at code commits from the magic lantern core team on bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/ (click on source then naviagte to  Magic Lantern / modules / raw_rec / raw_rec.c  and click "Blame") to see the macro view of the code. 
thought that within a week i'd be able to push a set of code for the 50D into the main magic lantern development "unified" branch, so that further developments are easy to keep in line with the extensive ongoing code work.

today i pushed all the code via a pull request to the core team (took me 10 days not 7 - oh well). once this is accepted, it will make it much easier for anyone to make builds and add on to the 50D part of the project, as it will be in sync. 

a "build" is the set of files you install on your card to run magic lantern.  these have to be generated for each camera, as certain files you see on your card like "autoexec.bin" and "ML/MODULES/MAGIC.SYM" are cameras specific and must be "compiled" for that camera - the 50D.109 in this thread. 

if you're using a build from 28May13 on the 50D you will likely see my computer name on the ML info screen.
going forward, in the very near future, all the code needed to make the 50D record raw video will be in the main "unified" branch.  it is also available in the public repository https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/commits/branch/50DrawNow (the 50DrawNow branch is the one to use, i am also new to using bitbucket and the mercurial version control system, so please ignore the other 50D branch)

anyone is free to make builds with the code going forward.

over the past week, i've been merging code with the main unified branch and making builds.
the builds from the code vintage of May 28 - May 31 seem to have had the highest performance to me with as i now recall a magical build on the 30th which could run at 57MB/s with focus peaking and graphics.

many users are reporting 55MB/s+ performance from the build i released on 28May13.
more recent builds do not match this performance for me. for example with the merge this morning, i didn't have stable recording above 50MB/s - though i did have Silent Pictures, AutoETTR and many other new features running on the 50D.

i'd like to thank everyone on this very helpful forum and the many contributors to magic lantern. i really don't know how a1ex can get so much done - seems like he only sleeps 3 hours a night.
i've learned quite a bit in 10 days.

cheers
Sorry Mr Gregory, but I'm still so dumb :o that I do not know where to find your new builds. Should I find then in the Unified Nightly builds? or Should I compile (something I never did) the code of Bitbucket?. Thanks for attending these newbie questions.

muddmanrich

Quote from: Nachelsoul on June 07, 2013, 11:46:26 AM
Sorry Mr Gregory, but I'm still so dumb :o that I do not know where to find your new builds. Should I find then in the Unified Nightly builds? or Should I compile (something I never did) the code of Bitbucket?. Thanks for attending these newbie questions.

If you're just trying it out for the first time, try the May 28th build. It is mentioned where to find it on the first page, in the first post. Just scroll down. Or go here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg43359#msg43359

JulianH

Thanks a lot Gregory for turning up out of nowhere and getting this far. Awesome :)

Quote from: Nachelsoul on June 07, 2013, 11:46:26 AM
In other words: Gregory worked his ass of the past 10 days to make future developments easier, because from now on (or in the near future) it should be possible to let the development run along with the other camera's - not separate.

For now, use the 28th may build (linked in the first post of this topic, not the second one). The newer test builds aren't interesting for actual use.

Nachelsoul

Quote from: JulianH on June 07, 2013, 01:27:07 PM
Thanks a lot Gregory for turning up out of nowhere and getting this far. Awesome :)
In other words: Gregory worked his ass of the past 10 days to make future developments easier, because from now on (or in the near future) it should be possible to let the development run along with the other camera's - not separate.

For now, use the 28th may build (linked in the first post of this topic, not the second one). The newer test builds aren't interesting for actual use.
Thanks Julian, I am already using the 28May build. Incredible work guys. I would like to keep track of the devlopment. I recnetly bought the 50D mainly because your thread is the most fascinating. The camera is also. I want to compare it with my 5D2. I am very happy cause the cameras looks are very different and give me a lot of possibilities. You were right Julian about the cinematic look of the 50D, with vintage glass has a unique feel. The markIII reigns in RAW world, but the ancient 50D has a lot to say. Thanks all for share your talent.

menoc

Quote from: JIKIJI on June 07, 2013, 08:14:56 AM
it is set on ''M'' mode, I will have to bring it back...
unless there is a way to record raw using a different button?? My live view turns on automatically when you turn on the camera  ???

You also have to enable Live View shoot in the Canon Menus . . .

hijodeibn

Is anyone going to test a Toshiba 1066x card?.....supposed 150Mb/s, not sure if we will see any difference.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: hijodeibn on June 07, 2013, 08:33:04 PM
Is anyone going to test a Toshiba 1066x card?.....supposed 150Mb/s, not sure if we will see any difference.

That might be overkill for the 50D - 1000x is more than capable. 

JIKIJI

Quote from: menoc on June 07, 2013, 06:23:30 PM
You also have to enable Live View shoot in the Canon Menus . . .

I do know that....... my live vew button is faulty.......

JulianH

Sounds unlikely, but I guess it could be possible. Try with the normal Canon firmware, read the manuals etc, make sure you're not overlooking something. Anyway, good luck...

artiswar

In the process of writing a short narrative piece to test a motivated workflow of the 50D. Should be shot and wrapped in the coming weeks.

AaronL

Hey everyone. I just got my card and I'm ready to roll. I just needed to know what the exact setting are i need to operate the fastest and also what build model. I think its the 5/28 one but in that model i cant choose what frame size i want to record at. Anyways thank you in advance for the help

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on June 07, 2013, 10:27:08 PM
In the process of writing a short narrative piece to test a motivated workflow of the 50D. Should be shot and wrapped in the coming weeks.

Awesome can't wait to see it, got a music video shoot this weekend gonna put the 50D to the test as well big workflow but worth it. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: AaronL on June 07, 2013, 10:42:21 PM
Hey everyone. I just got my card and I'm ready to roll. I just needed to know what the exact setting are i need to operate the fastest and also what build model. I think its the 5/28 one but in that model i cant choose what frame size i want to record at. Anyways thank you in advance for the help

Yep Gregory's 5/28 Build is by far the most stable..  Settings are as follow  - 
Canon In camera settings:  Press menu on 50D & Scroll to the 8th option menu than select (C.FnII:Image) Long exp. noise reduction (Off) - High ISO Speed Noise Reduct'n (Disable) - Highlight tone priority (Disable) - Auto Lighting Optimizer (Disable)

Magic Lantern Settings:
Global Draw = (Off) -  Override Exp (ON) - Override FPS (24 Exact FPS / Low Light) all up to you I prefer 24 exact - Hacked Mode (ON) 

That's it have fun with your 50D Post footage when you compile one Cheers..   8)

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: AaronL on June 07, 2013, 10:42:21 PM

One last thing very important format the card in camera, I get the best result from doing that. 

AaronL

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 07, 2013, 11:09:37 PM
Yep Gregory's 5/28 Build is by far the most stable..  Settings are as follow  - 
Canon In camera settings:  Press menu on 50D & Scroll to the 8th option menu than select (C.FnII:Image) Long exp. noise reduction (Off) - High ISO Speed Noise Reduct'n (Disable) - Highlight tone priority (Disable) - Auto Lighting Optimizer (Disable)

Magic Lantern Settings:
Global Draw = (Off) -  Override Exp (ON) - Override FPS (24 Exact FPS / Low Light) all up to you I prefer 24 exact - Hacked Mode (ON) 

That's it have fun with your 50D Post footage when you compile one Cheers..   8)

Thanks man. Whats wrong with the other settings? I was really hopping to shoot some 2:39

JulianH

Found some time to edit my shots I made earlier this week.

Experimented with a new workflow, I wanted something faster than ACR/Bridge, so I used RAWanizer to convert to CineformRAW 444 (about 10 minutes for 21GB of footage), graded the clips in Davincie Resolve Lite 9 and edited in Premiere CS6.

More details (and download option) on vimeo.
Shot with the 28th May build by Gregory.

artiswar

Quote from: JulianH on June 07, 2013, 11:50:05 PM

Experimented with a new workflow, I wanted something faster than ACR/Bridge, so I used RAWanizer to convert to CineformRAW 444 (about 10 minutes for 21GB of footage), graded the clips in Davincie Resolve Lite 9 and edited in Premiere CS6.

On mobile so I haven't have it a watch yet, but transcoding to Cineform, how's highlight and shadow recovery. What's the files size of the Cineform stuff? Thanks for all the hard work.

menoc

Very Nice Julian. Magnificent images.

arrinkiiii

Very good video. Is

djfremen

so I used RAWanizer to convert to CineformRAW 444 (about 10 minutes for 21GB of footage)

Can you post your computer specs Julian. Mac or PC/Hackintosh?

Viente

Thanks Julian! Could you please upload somehwere unscaled original footage?
Im going to buy 50D soon and would like to play with the original raw footage first. Thanks!

JIKIJI

Quote from: JulianH on June 07, 2013, 09:50:21 PM
Sounds unlikely, but I guess it could be possible. Try with the normal Canon firmware, read the manuals etc, make sure you're not overlooking something. Anyway, good luck...

Thanks but I did try with original firmware, had it for a week and tried everything so decided to bring it back today. The button just had no response whatsoever, must be a mechanical malfunction. Anyways ordered a new one, waiting for next week for it arrive.

goldenchild9to5

Julian once again beautiful images man I'm loving the 50D more and more each everyday.  By the way there is a direct way now to get CinemaDNG's from the 50D's Raw files I'll post link. 

goldenchild9to5

Guy's new update their is a converter developed by the RareVision guys the ones who developed 5DtoRGB.  Basically it's a Raw to CinemaDNG converter that means you can import right into Davinci Resolve 9 to edit and color footages that's big.  Here is the link to topic and download link should be the second post

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6218.50