50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulianH

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 06, 2013, 05:31:56 AM
not sure if we are talking about the same thing here - i mean only borders on the Silent Pics
when i shoot Silent Pics with raw_rec module enabled and various aspect ratios, all Silent Pic DNGs are 2064x1106
Ah yeah, I should clarify that. When changing raw_rec resolution the Silent pics always stay the same resolution. There's just the difference between full sensor and zoomed modes.

dhallowell19

Sorry for my ongoing reports about performance that seemed to be lagging the pack -- but *good news --- I finally seem to have hit upon the conditions that will let me shoot indefinitely at '1600' resolution.

Not sure which of these final changes that did the trick, but what I'd done included:
- turning off every single feature (zebras, etc.) in the shooting menus, though I hadn't seen that level of 'turning off' specified, I just went 100% off on everything.
- Even though 16:9 is default, I momentarily chose 3:2, then explicitly chose 16:9.  I know that shouldn't matter - but with early code, we know things like that can matter.

Anyway - now my komputerbay 64 (1000x) card shows about 56-58mb/s and just one or maybe two stars in the buffer, then steady state for at least way longer than before.  Will try some quite long shots after battery is recharged.
Thanks again for the patience and the tips.   Now maybe I can get some test footage and try some other things.

fromdecember

I'm new to the forums.  I've been a ML user with a T2i, sold it for the GH3 and now just purchased a 50d that comes in the mail today!  Thank you to your hard work and hopefully I'll be able to donate some money in the next few weeks after I get paid.

I see a lot of people using the Komputerbay 64gig 1000x cf and I was wondering if any tests have been made with the 50d using Lexar 32gb 1000x cf? 

hijodeibn

Quote from: savale on June 06, 2013, 07:50:33 PM
By the way I could get my hands on the new STM 18-55 IS lens. (for just 60 euro) It's actually really nice for filming. It's really sharp for a zoom lens and the  manual focus is really smooth. I have some extra m42 mount lenses to get a shalow dof when needed, but they lack real wide angle and IS.

You mean CANON EF-M 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 STM IS, well......you can just use it in daylight...indoors you will need at least 3 generators.....My personal option is always to choose a lens starting at least in 2.8.....

arrinkiiii

Quote from: AaronL on June 06, 2013, 08:09:01 PM
So I did a semi bold move on my part yesterday. I traded my 60D which is my main camera for a 50D and $250 cash. I think it was the right move. I just still can't get over the fact that I downgraded(kind of) my camera for the first time in my life. I pray this hack keeps on growing

I already think doing that with my 7D... but then i loose my 60fps =(((

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: AaronL on June 06, 2013, 08:09:01 PM
So I did a semi bold move on my part yesterday. I traded my 60D which is my main camera for a 50D and $250 cash. I think it was the right move. I just still can't get over the fact that I downgraded(kind of) my camera for the first time in my life. I pray this hack keeps on growing

It's a great move, now you have a true Raw Camera in your hands + some money buy yourself two Komputerbay 64GB 1000X cards with that money. 

JIKIJI

got everything ready....

but apparently my live view button doesn't work? It only turns on when i turn on/off my camera?  :-\
I can manually turn it off in the menu but i can't turn it back on again unless i turn it off which makes raw recording not possible?
Am i doing something wrong? Does it has something to do with my lens? its a Tamron 28-300mm...

Fioritura

Quote from: eattheblinds on June 05, 2013, 07:29:01 PM
hmmm...i'm using a cheap-o bower usb2.0 reader i bought in chinatown.  i expected it to be the culprit so i bought a USB3.0 off newegg and it should arrive soon.  i wonder if i'll have better luck or if this is a more persistent problem.

komputerbay is getting back to me with tech support.  fingers crossed there's a solution i'll be able to share.

The 32GB SanDisk Extreme works fine in the Transcend reader that would not let me access the 64GB KomputerBay. Some speed tests tomorrow.

necronomfive

Hello guys,

so, I tried shooting some test footage in 2.35:1, 5x mode (1920x818) today with May 28th build, but there still seem to be some bugs left. I apologise in advance in case these issues have been resolved in the meantime.

Firstly, the framing is not correct. Instead of being in the middle of the sensor, it seems that the image is captured at sensor pixel coordinates X=Y=0.

Another problem is that, although I constantly recorded in 5x mode, the written RAW data is sometimes being interpreted as 1592x678, but the image itself seems to be still 1920x818, with a wrong stride being applied in the raw file.

Here is an example DNG of the wrong image data:

http://www.filedropper.com/m000000

As a reference, here is a DNG with correct image data (roughly the same scene):

http://www.filedropper.com/m000000_1

I think it has something to do with the fact that I constantly switched between 5x and 10x mode to check the focus. But I always started recording when the Live View was in 5x mode.

araucaria

Quote from: JIKIJI on June 06, 2013, 10:33:27 PM
got everything ready....

but apparently my live view button doesn't work? It only turns on when i turn on/off my camera?  :-\
I can manually turn it off in the menu but i can't turn it back on again unless i turn it off which makes raw recording not possible?
Am i doing something wrong? Does it has something to do with my lens? its a Tamron 28-300mm...
have you activated live view?

simulacro

Ok, i sold my 550d to get an almost new 50d. First time you see the detail is nothing compared to h.264. The capacity of manipulate the colors and contrast is just amazing, like photography. The closer to cinema: develop and then edit. Thank you very much!

I bought the camera with a Sandisk Extreme 60mbps and that's what i'm gonna use until i have money for a 1000x. With this card i'm getting around 7 seconds at 1576x880 24p and 6 seconds 25p aprox. Lower resolutions, i can record much more (the only test at 1440 gave me more than 1500 frames)

My first test. I used the may 28th build and this is the result: (24p instead of 23.978)

https://vimeo.com/67842597

JIKIJI

Quote from: araucaria on June 06, 2013, 11:29:49 PM
have you activated live view?

Yes i have enabled it in the menu, Is the live view button supposed to be rock solid? it doesn't click or anything.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: simulacro on June 07, 2013, 01:24:28 AM
Ok, i sold my 550d to get an almost new 50d. First time you see the detail is nothing compared to h.264. The capacity of manipulate the colors and contrast is just amazing, like photography. The closer to cinema: develop and then edit. Thank you very much!

I bought the camera with a Sandisk Extreme 60mbps and that's what i'm gonna use until i have money for a 1000x. With this card i'm getting around 7 seconds at 1576x880 24p and 6 seconds 25p aprox. Lower resolutions, i can record much more (the only test at 1440 gave me more than 1500 frames)

My first test. I used the may 28th build and this is the result: (24p instead of 23.978)

https://vimeo.com/67842597

Great job man footage looks great..  Yeah you definitely need a 1000x card.

djfremen

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 06, 2013, 08:43:23 PMnow my komputerbay 64 (1000x) card shows about 56-58gb/s

MBps = Megabytes per second
Mbps = Megabits per second

AaronL

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 06, 2013, 10:12:03 PM
It's a great move, now you have a true Raw Camera in your hands + some money buy yourself two Komputerbay 64GB 1000X cards with that money.

That's actually the first thing i did. I got the 128gb instead of the 64 and had it overnighted since i couldn't wait. Hopefully it will be awesome weather so i can test it out tomorrow night

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: AaronL on June 07, 2013, 04:34:22 AM
That's actually the first thing i did. I got the 128gb instead of the 64 and had it overnighted since i couldn't wait. Hopefully it will be awesome weather so i can test it out tomorrow night

OOh no email them ASAP I Mean now the 128GB card is way slower than the 64GB KomputerBay version don't know why exactly but it's slower.  Have them change it to two 64GB, it's going to cost you a little bit more but it's worth it.  Go back and read all the previous post everybody been saying the same thing about the 128GB card even Mark III users. 

GregoryOfManhattan

hi all, update on my builds and code for the 50D.

i got my 50D via craigslist in the US on Sunday May 26th, i signed into this forum the next day and did a magic lantern install.
had as many of you been following the various camera raw video forums as well as looking at code commits from the magic lantern core team on bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/ (click on source then naviagte to  Magic Lantern / modules / raw_rec / raw_rec.c  and click "Blame") to see the macro view of the code. 
thought that within a week i'd be able to push a set of code for the 50D into the main magic lantern development "unified" branch, so that further developments are easy to keep in line with the extensive ongoing code work.

today i pushed all the code via a pull request to the core team (took me 10 days not 7 - oh well). once this is accepted, it will make it much easier for anyone to make builds and add on to the 50D part of the project, as it will be in sync. 

a "build" is the set of files you install on your card to run magic lantern.  these have to be generated for each camera, as certain files you see on your card like "autoexec.bin" and "ML/MODULES/MAGIC.SYM" are cameras specific and must be "compiled" for that camera - the 50D.109 in this thread. 

if you're using a build from 28May13 on the 50D you will likely see my computer name on the ML info screen.
going forward, in the very near future, all the code needed to make the 50D record raw video will be in the main "unified" branch.  it is also available in the public repository https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/commits/branch/50DrawNow (the 50DrawNow branch is the one to use, i am also new to using bitbucket and the mercurial version control system, so please ignore the other 50D branch)

anyone is free to make builds with the code going forward.

over the past week, i've been merging code with the main unified branch and making builds.
the builds from the code vintage of May 28 - May 31 seem to have had the highest performance to me with as i now recall a magical build on the 30th which could run at 57MB/s with focus peaking and graphics.

many users are reporting 55MB/s+ performance from the build i released on 28May13.
more recent builds do not match this performance for me. for example with the merge this morning, i didn't have stable recording above 50MB/s - though i did have Silent Pictures, AutoETTR and many other new features running on the 50D.

i'd like to thank everyone on this very helpful forum and the many contributors to magic lantern. i really don't know how a1ex can get so much done - seems like he only sleeps 3 hours a night.
i've learned quite a bit in 10 days.

cheers

GregoryOfManhattan

Julian,
yes this answers the question and the values are committed into code on bitbucket.

Quote from: JulianH on June 06, 2013, 08:41:39 PM
Ah yeah, I should clarify that. When changing raw_rec resolution the Silent pics always stay the same resolution. There's just the difference between full sensor and zoomed modes.

DNGs files from the Null build at regular and zoom mode linked below for reference.
http://50.56.67.113/ml-06June13/51170003.DNG

http://50.56.67.113/ml-06June13/27170022.DNG

http://50.56.67.113/ml-06June13/27170002.DNG

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 07, 2013, 05:37:43 AM
Julian,
yes this answers the question and the values are committed into code on bitbucket.
this should settle the "skip" values for the 50D.

DNGs files from the Null build at regular and zoom mode linked below for reference.
http://50.56.67.113/ml-06June13/51170003.DNG

http://50.56.67.113/ml-06June13/27170022.DNG

http://50.56.67.113/ml-06June13/27170002.DNG

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 07, 2013, 05:16:34 AM
hi all, update on my builds and code for the 50D.

i got my 50D via craigslist in the US on Sunday May 26th, i signed into this forum the next day and did a magic lantern install.
had as many of you been following the various camera raw video forums as well as looking at code commits from the magic lantern core team on bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/ (click on source then naviagte to  Magic Lantern / modules / raw_rec / raw_rec.c  and click "Blame") to see the macro view of the code. 
thought that within a week i'd be able to push a set of code for the 50D into the main magic lantern development "unified" branch, so that further developments are easy to keep in line with the extensive ongoing code work.

today i pushed all the code via a pull request to the core team (took me 10 days not 7 - oh well). once this is accepted, it will make it much easier for anyone to make builds and add on to the 50D part of the project, as it will be in sync. 

a "build" is the set of files you install on your card to run magic lantern.  these have to be generated for each camera, as certain files you see on your card like "autoexec.bin" and "ML/MODULES/MAGIC.SYM" are cameras specific and must be "compiled" for that camera - the 50D.109 in this thread. 

if you're using a build from 28May13 on the 50D you will likely see my computer name on the ML info screen.
going forward, in the very near future, all the code needed to make the 50D record raw video will be in the main "unified" branch.  it is also available in the public repository https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/commits/branch/50DrawNow (the 50DrawNow branch is the one to use, i am also new to using bitbucket and the mercurial version control system, so please ignore the other 50D branch)

anyone is free to make builds with the code going forward.

over the past week, i've been merging code with the main unified branch and making builds.
the builds from the code vintage of May 28 - May 31 seem to have had the highest performance to me with as i now recall a magical build on the 30th which could run at 57MB/s with focus peaking and graphics.

many users are reporting 55MB/s+ performance from the build i released on 28May13.
more recent builds do not match this performance for me. for example with the merge this morning, i didn't have stable recording above 50MB/s - though i did have Silent Pictures, AutoETTR and many other new features running on the 50D.

i'd like to thank everyone on this very helpful forum and the many contributors to magic lantern. i really don't know how a1ex can get so much done - seems like he only sleeps 3 hours a night.
i've learned quite a bit in 10 days.

cheers

Thank you so much for all your work Gregory you sacrificed 10 days of you life coding just so we all can enjoy the Raw Capabilities of the 50D, thank you once again.  Will definitely follow your Bitbucket..

JIKIJI

guess i'll have to return my body , my live view button doesn't do anything so i cant record raw on it :(

briwil

Quote from: JIKIJI on June 07, 2013, 07:17:31 AM
guess i'll have to return my body , my live view button doesn't do anything so i cant record raw on it :(

Sorry to hear it.

Roman

50D Live view only works in certain camera modes - make sure you've got it set to 'M' on the dial.

JIKIJI

it is set on ''M'' mode, I will have to bring it back...
unless there is a way to record raw using a different button?? My live view turns on automatically when you turn on the camera  ???

simulacro

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 07, 2013, 02:57:37 AM
Great job man footage looks great..  Yeah you definitely need a 1000x card.

Thanks. I know, but i got bankrupt with this investment... my little savings went to the camera. At some point i think i'm going to be able to make a 6,5 seconds shots videos haha