50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roman

Perhaps the difference is that it turns global draw on or off when you've plugged in the monitor?

If I have HDMI plugged in and global draw off, I get 50mbs

If I unplug HDMI, I get 54-55

If I turn global draw on, I'm banging on 60-61.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Roman on June 06, 2013, 02:49:50 PM
Perhaps the difference is that it turns global draw on or off when you've plugged in the monitor?

If I have HDMI plugged in and global draw off, I get 50mbs

If I unplug HDMI, I get 54-55

If I turn global draw on, I'm banging on 60-61.

Guy's I don't know I'm getting upwards of 63 - 64mb/s on my Komputerbay 64gb 1000X card

dacssfreak

Although my card (Transcend 16Gb 1000x) performs pretty similar in the benchmark i get ~47 MB/s while Recording RAW. I dont get this. I tested soo many settings and none of them are leading to any performance increase

dacssfreak

1%

rockfallfilms

When shooting 1592x896 @ 25fps I get 59mb/s pretty constantly with my Komputerbay 64gb 1000X card

Global draw on, HDMI unplugged.

rockfallfilms

QuoteAlthough my card (Transcend 16Gb 1000x) performs pretty similar in the benchmark i get ~47 MB/s while Recording RAW. I dont get this. I tested soo many settings and none of them are leading to any performance increase

It's rated faster than mine, maybe you have something still turned on in one of the menus?

hijodeibn

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 06, 2013, 04:42:16 PM
Guy's I don't know I'm getting upwards of 63 - 64mb/s on my Komputerbay 64gb 1000X card

mmm!!!!.......I guess it is all related on how lucky you are to get right CF card from Komputerbay

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 06, 2013, 05:15:07 PM
When shooting 1592x896 @ 25fps I get 59mb/s pretty constantly with my Komputerbay 64gb 1000X card

Global draw on, HDMI unplugged.

I'm getting the same results and @ times even higher..  I think it's all about the settings & in camera formatting plays a big part of it also. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: hijodeibn on June 06, 2013, 05:22:32 PM
mmm!!!!.......I guess it is all related on how lucky you are to get right CF card from Komputerbay

To tell you the truth don't think it's the card, cause those cards are capable of handling way more write speeds than 60mb/s it should be no problem for those cards.  Have to set your camera the right way as far as settings goes. 

eattheblinds

regarding issues i'm having getting my komputerbay card to read on my mac:

Komputerbay Tech Support
4:15 AM (4 hours ago)

to me

Hello,

The card is possibly corrupted.

From what we know the 50D is limited to FAT32 but your Mac is not. (your Mac possibly tried to read the card as exFAT instead of FAT32 seeing that it is a 64GB card - lot of customers have done this.)

It can be uncorrupted using a PC using SD Formatter's free software to format the cards. The Mac version has some bugs and as such we donot recommend it.

Also - we do not know if the bower USB2.0 CF Reader #CRCF is compatibnle with UDMA 7 cards.

Have you tried any formatting apps on your Mac?

Thank You
Tech Support
CS

kretynjakchuj

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 06, 2013, 02:32:00 PM
Did you also go to the camera menu and select/enable Raw recording?  The default is OFF.  After loading the module you have to further turn on Raw in the other menu.

Yes I enabled it nad it shows that it's on. Could tell me how do you record it? Maybe, I'm doing something wrong.

Roman

Once the raw video mode is enabled, you can close out of the window and press the live view button. Then press it again to start recording, press it again to stop.

kretynjakchuj

Quote from: Roman on June 06, 2013, 06:08:52 PM
Once the raw video mode is enabled, you can close out of the window and press the live view button. Then press it again to start recording, press it again to stop.

It works, thank you! Jesus, I feel so ashamed...

paulforte

Here's a video I shot yesterday, walking about my neighborhood - https://vimeo.com/67793246 - I used Lightroom for most of the grade, in that I exported a few presets into ACR and then used ACR.

savale

Quote from: paulforte on June 06, 2013, 06:41:43 PM
Here's a video I shot yesterday, walking about my neighborhood - https://vimeo.com/67793246 - I used Lightroom for most of the grade, in that I exported a few presets into ACR and then used ACR.

Nice film look! Now get some stabilizer :) By the way I'm sorry, I had plans to join developing, but things changed a little here so I have little time :(

paulforte

araucaria

Just got my 50d with grip. I've been trying with some Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB card. On full res I get 98frames with global dram off and 109 frames with global draw on. Around 300-400 on 720p.

Zoom mode looks pretty bad, but I think that's the cameras limitation.
Has onyone tried out a 600x Komputerbay card? If anyone has and gets continuos rec on 1:1 I will go for that one.

Thanks to all of you who made this possible, I'm having a lot of fun!

briwil

I like this a lot.
Nice work!

paulforte

Quote from: araucaria on June 06, 2013, 07:13:08 PM
Has onyone tried out a 600x Komputerbay card?

I have one on its way. Will report back.

goldenchild9to5

Very nice video like the look a lot..

savale

By the way I could get my hands on the new STM 18-55 IS lens. (for just 60 euro) It's actually really nice for filming. It's really sharp for a zoom lens and the  manual focus is really smooth. I have some extra m42 mount lenses to get a shalow dof when needed, but they lack real wide angle and IS.

AaronL

So I did a semi bold move on my part yesterday. I traded my 60D which is my main camera for a 50D and $250 cash. I think it was the right move. I just still can't get over the fact that I downgraded(kind of) my camera for the first time in my life. I pray this hack keeps on growing

artiswar

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 06, 2013, 04:42:16 PM

I think the highest I've achieved is ~67mb/s. I could be mistaken but that was in the 3:2 aspect ratio.

JulianH

Quote from: AaronL on June 06, 2013, 08:09:01 PM
So I did a semi bold move on my part yesterday. I traded my 60D which is my main camera for a 50D and $250 cash. I think it was the right move. I just still can't get over the fact that I downgraded(kind of) my camera for the first time in my life. I pray this hack keeps on growing
You did the right thing probably :) the sd controller in the sd card cameras seems pretty limited. Don't think there is a way to overcome this. So for raw video, the 50D should have a big advantage (like it has right now).