50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

menoc

Quote from: TrueIndigo on June 06, 2013, 01:19:56 AM
Menoc: Use EOSCard tool -- does that mean starting from scratch: make the card scriptable and then copy ML across again?
Many thanks for your help.

Making scriptable does not require starting over. Just insert the card check the option for scriptable and tell it to prepare the card.

1%

QuoteContig = 27M.

This is what is eating at your writes.

dhallowell19

Quote from: menoc on June 06, 2013, 01:07:37 AM

Set the following:

ISO:  100-200 (actually the ISO Does not matter so much use whatever ISO you need)
FPS override:  23.988 (Don't use 24 exact, use optimized for low light instead)

Canon Menus:

Set Qualiy to: JPEG Large Only - NO RAW

Settings in C.Fn II: Image

High ISO speed Noise Reduction:  Disable
Auto Lighting Optimizer:  Disable
Highlight Tone Priority:  Disable
Long Exposure Noise Reduction:  OFF

Global Draw:  set it to "LiveView" (Turn off peaking and all other global draw settings)

RAW Video Settings:

Raw Video Resolution:  1600
Raw Video Ratio:  3:2 or 16:9
Sound:  OFF
Hacked Mode: ON

Shoot something for a while . . . . 1600 resolution & 16:9 ratio is the most stable.

Thanks for the notes - I've done every single thing quite carefully -- and the card tops out at about 44mb/sec -- and drops frames after about 300 with raw resolution set at 1600.

For the komputerbay 1000x  64 GB card, what write rates are others seeing using those settings?   I had a second of that same card which performed exactly the same.  I guess i could have seen two dud cards - but I'm thinking it's something else that has me crawling where others are having better luck.... many thanks for the group's patience and tips...

menoc

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 06, 2013, 01:47:19 AM
Thanks for the notes - I've done every single thing quite carefully -- and the card tops out at about 44mb/sec -- and drops frames after about 300 with raw resolution set at 1600.

For the komputerbay 1000x  64 GB card, what write rates are others seeing using those settings?   I had a second of that same card which performed exactly the same.  I guess i could have seen two dud cards - but I'm thinking it's something else that has me crawling where others are having better luck.... many thanks for the group's patience and tips...

Did you set the ratio to 16:9? . . . Otherwise, format and benchmark the card in Camera and post your results. I have the same card, here are my results. If yours do not look like these, then you have a dud :P:

dhallowell19

@menoc   - Here's something odd, but good, that happened...when I formatted the card in the camera for this run of the tests (even though I'd done that before) -- for some reason the performance numbers jumped from the 30s and 40s to this higher range.  It looks more like your card.
NOW when shooting raw, I'm seeing write speeds in the range of 48-55mb/s  (not 35 or so, like before).  At the raw resolution of 1600 I can get maybe 800+ frames before dropping - lots better than before, but still not continuous.
Are you able to shoot at 1600 with no dropped frames?

Thanks again for the help!

paulforte

My komputerbay 1000x 64GB card is getting consistant 57 MB/s (no max-out) which is great for 1592 x 896, but it does worry me that it won't be enough for 1920 x 1080 if / when that happens.

menoc

Quote from: menoc on June 06, 2013, 01:52:20 AM
Did you set the ratio to 16:9? . . . Otherwise, format and benchmark the card in Camera and post your results. I have the same card, here are my results. If yours do not look like these, then you have a dud :P:

You have something set in your camera. Can you post your melloc?

evanamorphic

Quote from: menoc on June 06, 2013, 01:07:37 AM

Set the following:

ISO:  100-200 (actually the ISO Does not matter so much use whatever ISO you need)
FPS override:  23.988 (Don't use 24 exact, use optimized for low light instead)

Canon Menus:

Set Qualiy to: JPEG Large Only - NO RAW

Settings in C.Fn II: Image

High ISO speed Noise Reduction:  Disable
Auto Lighting Optimizer:  Disable
Highlight Tone Priority:  Disable
Long Exposure Noise Reduction:  OFF

Global Draw:  set it to "LiveView" (Turn off peaking and all other global draw settings)

RAW Video Settings:

Raw Video Resolution:  1600 (it will default to 1592)
Raw Video Ratio:  3:2 or 16:9
Sound:  OFF
Hacked Mode: ON

Shoot something for a while . . . . 1600 resolution & 16:9 ratio is the most stable.

If I shoot at 23.988 (optimize for low light) my camera randomly drops to 22fps while recording.

GregoryOfManhattan

@JulianH - thanks for being so quick to report back key results.

Quote from: JulianH on June 06, 2013, 01:24:18 AM
My results

Full sensor
Silent DNG: 1664x1084
Top 26
Left 74
Right 0
Bottom 0

5x zoom mode
Silent DNG: 2064x1106
Top 26
Left 64
Right 0
Buttom 0

Weird that we get different results here. But I suppose that has to do with the 2064 width I get for Silent DNG's in zoom mode. In Raw video mode 1920x1104 I get 26 black pixel rows on top, zero on the other sides.

i agree - typo in my post for skip left in zoom mode - tests on Sunday matched this.
1664x1084 - (74x26) and
2064x1106 - (64x26)

10x zoom test
Silent DNG: Gives the same image and result as 5x, doesn't seem to change anything.

Other observations
Not sure if all relevant, but I'll notice them just in case.

Raw video speeds look the same to me as the 28May build. But my card is the bottleneck around 59Mb/s max (Sandisk 90MB/s 32GB).
Shoot_Malloc_total seems to have grown. It reports 219M, I thought it was max. 212M with the other build. Contig = 27M.
bloat and now contig = 27M will kill speed

- try 10x zoom
Recording raw video in 10x zoom gives garbadged results, just funky lines. But it looks like it's actually doing something different than in 5x.

- move the zoom box to various positions top,left, center, bottom
right  (didn't JulianH report that thee borders changed when he did a
raw video pan?).

I don't think I reported this, didn't have this experience. Didn't test it with the 05June build yet.

- turn on raw_rec and try at various aspect ratios - i'm not even sure this will give images of different resolutions, if it does check for black borders.
It does give different resolutions. No surprise with the black borders here. With max image size it's the same as in silent DNG and when cropping down to other aspect ratios the black lines disappear (when they are cropped out by lower height).
not sure if we are talking about the same thing here - i mean only borders on the Silent Pics
when i shoot Silent Pics with raw_rec module enabled and various aspect ratios, all Silent Pic DNGs are 2064x1106

any other official testers take a crack at the NULL build to measure Silent Pic borders?

for anyone else, don't worry about this - Silent Pics (from the Shoot Menu) will be coming soon.

Roman

I'll try it when I get home, and report back.

paulforte

How can I access the zoom mode on the 50D? Is this part of the May 28th build? Thanks!

Roman

You just press the normal liveview zoom button, Same as zoom for normal live view without ML.

It's near where your right thumb is, top right hand side of the camera.

madmats

Quote from: djfremen on June 05, 2013, 08:59:41 PM
Can anyone confirm if they've broke the hard limit of 60 MB/s with the 50D?

My Lexxar 1000x 32GB card peaks at 63 mb/s, but runs stable at 59 mb/s.

Roman

Nah, for me writing is at 57/58mb/s max while recording.

Higher in read/write tests, but there's a bottlneck elsewhere currently by the looks.

paulforte

Max 57/58 here. KomputerBay 32 / 64 1000x

John-Jo

Quote from: Cumulus on June 05, 2013, 09:08:29 PM
(Note: if you want to retune raw, Interpret Footage, More Options to relaunch ACR.)

Thanks for that tip   ;)   

The 2 batteries I got with my 50D have gone from holding charge for 10 mins to zero. New battery turned up today from TradeMe (NZ) seller: "realwholesale": clearly advertised as 50D bat. Shame its is 3 times the size of the 50D battery!  Back to waiting by the post box.
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

riccardocovino

Quote from: paulforte on June 06, 2013, 09:02:47 AM
Max 57/58 here. KomputerBay 32 / 64 1000x

so a Komputerbay 600x UDMA6 (min write speed 60) could be enough? It costs 1/3 than the 1000x!
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

paulforte

Quote from: riccardocovino on June 06, 2013, 10:22:58 AM
so a Komputerbay 600x UDMA6 (min write speed 60) could be enough? It costs 1/3 than the 1000x!

It could be! I'll try it and see, but its cutting it very close and there's no room for growth if they get 1080 going

John-Jo

I use Sandisk 60Mb/s and is fine for 1280 x 720, but only about 190 frames of 1576 x 880. But if it truly is MINIMUM of 60Mb/s.. maybe, but as paulforte says future proofing may be the way to go.
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

dhallowell19

Quote from: menoc on June 06, 2013, 04:19:51 AM
You have something set in your camera. Can you post your melloc?

malloc is 153K

Thanks again for the ongoing problem-solving help -- it'd be great to get to the bottom of this. 

Best
D

savale

according this benchmark it will work...

http://www-cameraextensionpole.blogspot.nl/2013/05/komputerbay-64gb-professional-compact.html

Chris50d

Guys, im getting considerably faster speeds by using an external monitor :) try it.. the buffer doesnt fill no where near like it used to when not using an external monitor.... got a 9mb/s speed improvement and a non filling buffer :P this was tested with a sandisk 60mbs max constant speed was 45mb otherwise would be 36 mbs

Roman

Not for me...

When going to external monitor at a higher resolution than my card can allow for, I get 224 frames with external monitor vs 337 frames without.

Without it I'm getting max of 60.1 / 60.2mbps, when I plug in the HDMI cable I get 54-55mb/s. I tested a few times to be sure.

In saying this, I might have different camera settings to you currently.

Can you please give full details like: photo mode or video mode, live view on/off, fps you are recording at, raw or jpg setting, etc etc?

If you can tell me the exact settings, I'll try to repeat my test using those too.

kretynjakchuj

Stupid question but how do you record? I set this raw_rec module on and after that it says to press livescreen button to start. But when I hit it, nothing happens. Sorry for this noob question

dhallowell19

Quote from: kretynjakchuj on June 06, 2013, 02:15:48 PM
Stupid question but how do you record? I set this raw_rec module on and after that it says to press livescreen button to start. But when I hit it, nothing happens. Sorry for this noob question

Did you also go to the camera menu and select/enable Raw recording?  The default is OFF.  After loading the module you have to further turn on Raw in the other menu.