50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artiswar

It would be really perfect to get spanning to work.

Finally a test:

http://vimeo.com/67713580

Some flicker from ACR Process 2012 but will switch to 2010 to alleviate the issue.

mva

I've been lurking here for a while. (At the moment still not a 50D owner.) I want to say, that's some really nice footage, Artiswar! What resolution(s) did you use?

artiswar

Quote from: mva on June 05, 2013, 06:59:20 PM
I've been lurking here for a while. (At the moment still not a 50D owner.) I want to say, that's some really nice footage, Artiswar! What resolution(s) did you use?

That was all the maximum 16:9 resolution so 1592 x 896. Upscales to 1080p, log look applied in ACR and a quick grade in Premiere. I think the secret to the sharpness I achieved was the Zeiss glass.

eattheblinds

Quote from: Fioritura on June 05, 2013, 09:29:37 AM
Hi eattheblinds,

I had the same problem: the FAT32 filesystem of the 64 GB (KomputerBay 600x) not being accessible via a Transcend USB 3 CF card reader--but through an old Microtrack (at abyssmal "speed"). Possibly it's the size! Trying a 32 GB card soon. Let's see if that solves the issue.

hmmm...i'm using a cheap-o bower usb2.0 reader i bought in chinatown.  i expected it to be the culprit so i bought a USB3.0 off newegg and it should arrive soon.  i wonder if i'll have better luck or if this is a more persistent problem.

komputerbay is getting back to me with tech support.  fingers crossed there's a solution i'll be able to share.

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: menoc on June 05, 2013, 04:01:10 PM
I successfully joined the spanned files. My findings are that the first file (the one with the .RAW extension) is NOT corrupt and the DNGs look good, but the DNGs in the next file start to corrupt. My guess is that at some point after ML writes the first spanned file, either the next file in the sequence is not written correctly, or the DNG's code is not written correctly.

Same exact thing I was seeing with my frames, thanks for the confirmation.

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 05, 2013, 04:17:21 PM
@menoc and @savale spanning is much better on later builds - though i still do see frames like the posted example

Good to hear there's progress being made though. Thanks for the work you're doing.

djfremen

Can anyone confirm if they've broke the hard limit of 60 MB/s with the 50D?

Cumulus

Hello all,
First, THANK YOU to all the devs making this work! :D
I made a comparison video to show the difference between raw and h.264 on the 50D. I wanted to see how far both formats could be pushed. I started by grading the raw, then graded the h264 to match. I was surprised by some of the results!

Workflow:
Raw clips turned to .dng sequences with RAWanizer, then imported into After Effects (which prompts Adobe Camera Raw. Interpret footage: 24p. (Note: if you want to retune raw, Interpret Footage, More Options to relaunch ACR.)
Sequences dropped into AE comp, exported to QT Uncompressed 10 bit 422. (This took 2 hours for an 11 minute sequence, but edited smoothly in Premiere.)
Then edit in Premiere, where the h.264 clips were graded to match. Shadow/Highlight is causing most of the breakup you'll see. A very twitchy effect sometimes.

h.264:
1920X1080
Profile: Faithful
Graded with Premiere CS6:
-Three Way Color
-Shadow/Highlight
-Sharpen
No noise reduction
Cropped to 2.35:1

RAW:
1440x612 (2.35:1)
Graded in
Adobe Camera Raw
with Noise Reduction
Upscaled in Premiere

Note: I was limited to 1440x612 in Raw mode (which is 2.35:1, 35MB/s at 24p) because of the limitations of my CF card- a Lexar 32GB 800x. I now have a Komputerbay 64GB 1000x card which is capable of handling the 50D's current maximum resolution in RAW: 1592x896 (16:9, 57MB/s at 24p).

VIDEO HERE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5jqmgtf4YA

Thank you again, everyone! I'm so grateful for this new format! And I love this forum. So many good people and great information! :)

johansugarev

Not a raw question, but how would you shoot a music video with the 50D? I would love an easy way to record scratch audio.

menoc

Quote from: johansugarev on June 05, 2013, 09:15:10 PM
Not a raw question, but how would you shoot a music video with the 50D? I would love an easy way to record scratch audio.

ALL audio with the 50D has to be done externally. You may have to slate. Many options out there . . .

GregoryOfManhattan

have sent out the following email to a dozen registered testers
hi 50D testers,
per a1ex request, we need to confirm the black borders on DNGs generated in Silent Pics mode.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg46436#msg46436

i have made a special build to do this - it's not intended for general shooting and most .raw files will have the black borders and crazy colors.
it is to put the camera in Silent Picture mode, take single silent pictures, and get the exact pixel count of any black borders.
this build has set the borders to 0 - hence the name  NULL-05June13

if you haven't loaded new builds onto an existing card before, be careful, format it first and delete the ML config file.
not all of us need to do this, so whoever has time tonight should give it a go and report results on the forum.

the values that look correct to me are:
default image size -
top 26
left 74
right 0
bottom 0

in 5x zoom mode
top 0
left 74
right 0
bottom 0

please shoot some Silent DNGs and report back  any discrepancies.

it may be helpful to confirm that nothing changes in the other cases:
- try 10x zoom
- move the zoom box to various positions top,left, center, bottom right  (didn't JulianH report that thee borders changed when he did a raw video pan?).
- turn on raw_rec and try at various aspect ratios - i'm not even sure this will give images of different resolutions, if it does check for black borders.

the code assumes that these values are always the same, so if they are not there will be black borders.
this build may be slower that 28May13
file spanning will work.
.raw files will all have the black border issue.
weird things may happen with HDMI.

please refer back to forum post and provide credit in any public video.

regards,

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 05, 2013, 03:26:18 PM
mentioned on another thread - have Silent Pics and took 2 DNGs after setting skips to 0 - one default, one zoom mode.
inserted measured skip values into src/raw.c now in unified branch.
tested zoom and regular video no longer have wild black point (fixable in gimp or RPP).
zoom mode test video - https://vimeo.com/67680036 ( ufraw-batch -a ) color slightly magenta - roses were a little less pink to my eye.

i see some cameras have different skip values for mv1080 and mv720 - which i don't think apply to 50D.

is there value in testing this further -
zoom at different aspect ratios?
zoom with box top left vs. center (wonder about this because of some comments on color changes when using raw panning)?

please let us know how much additional testing should be done and i will send a zero skip build to some of the experienced testers.

Rolfe Klement

Complete noob question. I have posted a HOW to 50D  draft guide before but need help on this one section

"ML has manual controls with expo override (see the help)."

I cannot get this to work. I get a message saying cannot lock the aperture. All my test videos prove this. I want to lock the camera to ISO 160, F4 and 24fps. I get weird exposure and colour shifts -  this might be a bug issue. can do the FPS override using the exact FPS so that works - but not the other bits. I have EXP lock set to AV, 150
EXPO - PRESETS OFF
Expo override ON
Camera in M mode

Can someone explain step by step how this should be done. I am probably doing something silly  8)

thanks a mill!

novielo

Quote from: eattheblinds on June 05, 2013, 02:32:50 AM
yes, my camera reads the card and i'm able to format it in the camera.  but when i plug the card/card reader into my mbp...nothing.  even when i look into the system profiler there's no card. when i look on disk utility, again...no card.

And if you plug the camera to your mbp with a usb cable?

I'm just thinking out loud....
Could it be possible to use the raw in dxo?
I got it with the film pack, i don't know if it could render that many image at the same time ?
But a movie developed like a polaroid or velvia would be, like sh*t :)

Nachelsoul

Has anybody experience better performance with the Canon setting: silent mode1 for live view shooting?. I feel it faster, maybe not much, do not know if it could alter performance (¿¿¿). One of the advantages of this setting is that you can put safely PL mount lenses, and this option for the 50D RAW could be super cool.

UPDATE: Don´t try it. Crash when recording (in mode 2)

John-Jo

Quote from: araucaria on June 05, 2013, 02:12:07 PM
How many frames did you get before skipping?

Btw, looks very 16mm ;)

Thanks!

Don't think I got over about 192 frames before buffer got full. The card is too slow- but just wanted to play with this resolution.

Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

TrueIndigo

Finally I have my CF card (KomputerBay 64 GB 1000x). I loaded ML for the first time ("Success! BOOTDISK flag is enabled" etc). Going into the M menu I highlight "Load modules now..." but I can't load anything. Pressing the Set button doesn't do anything, so I can't load the Smeangol module. Any ideas what's gone wrong? Thanks.

menoc

Quote from: TrueIndigo on June 05, 2013, 11:25:27 PM
Finally I have my CF card (KomputerBay 64 GB 1000x). I loaded ML for the first time ("Success! BOOTDISK flag is enabled" etc). Going into the M menu I highlight "Load modules now..." but I can't load anything. Pressing the Set button doesn't do anything, so I can't load the Smeangol module. Any ideas what's gone wrong? Thanks.

Is your Camera in M mode? . . . Did you turn LiveView ON? . . . Did you add the Modules directory to the ML directory? . . . Did you make the card scriptable?

JulianH

Quote from: TrueIndigo on June 05, 2013, 11:25:27 PM
Use the 28May build by Gregory. It is linked in the first post of the topic!
You have to scroll down in the movie tab to enable raw shooting (after loading the modules).

dhallowell19

I'm happy to see the progress being made - some nice footage being posted.  I'm still trailing behind with a 1000x komputerbay 64gb card that won't seem to run at more than about 45mb/s -- meaning that 1280x720 is the best I can capture with no frame drops.
I'm running the 5/28 build -- and I think I've done all the things I see you all doing to smooth performance:
- FPS override for 24fps (optimize for exact)
-Global Draw on for LiveView
- Hacked Mode ON

While I don't expect things to be the same as the 5dm3 envt - that same card runs at 75+mb/s in that camera raw.

Am I right to be thinking that others with the same card are getting continuous capture at 1592x896? (or maybe you are dropping frames and just posting short shots that worked?)
Thanks for any tips

TrueIndigo

Thanks for the quick replies.

Menoc: was the camera in M mode -- yes. In live view -- yes. Added the modules to the ML folder -- yes (the Smeangol modules). Did I make the card scriptable -- no. Please tell me how to do that.

JulianH: Use the 28may build by Gregory -- yes, that is the one I'm using (50-2013May28build.zip). Scroll down the movie tab to enable raw shooting -- yes, because I can't load the modules, they are not yet listed in the movie tab.

I made an empty "scripts" folder within the ML folder as it was mentioned this stops the warning about no scripts. Would that make a difference?

menoc

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 06, 2013, 12:50:50 AM
I'm happy to see the progress being made - some nice footage being posted.  I'm still trailing behind with a 1000x komputerbay 64gb card that won't seem to run at more than about 45mb/s -- meaning that 1280x720 is the best I can capture with no frame drops.
I'm running the 5/28 build -- and I think I've done all the things I see you all doing to smooth performance:
- FPS override for 24fps (optimize for exact)
-Global Draw on for LiveView
- Hacked Mode ON

While I don't expect things to be the same as the 5dm3 envt - that same card runs at 75+mb/s in that camera raw.

Am I right to be thinking that others with the same card are getting continuous capture at 1592x896? (or maybe you are dropping frames and just posting short shots that worked?)
Thanks for any tips

Set the following:

ISO:  100-200 (actually the ISO Does not matter so much use whatever ISO you need)
FPS override:  23.988 (Don't use 24 exact, use optimized for low light instead)

Canon Menus:

Set Qualiy to: JPEG Large Only - NO RAW

Settings in C.Fn II: Image

High ISO speed Noise Reduction:  Disable
Auto Lighting Optimizer:  Disable
Highlight Tone Priority:  Disable
Long Exposure Noise Reduction:  OFF

Global Draw:  set it to "LiveView" (Turn off peaking and all other global draw settings)

RAW Video Settings:

Raw Video Resolution:  1600 (it will default to 1592)
Raw Video Ratio:  3:2 or 16:9
Sound:  OFF
Hacked Mode: ON

Shoot something for a while . . . . 1600 resolution & 16:9 ratio is the most stable.

menoc

Quote from: TrueIndigo on June 06, 2013, 01:04:53 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.

Menoc: was the camera in M mode -- yes. In live view -- yes. Added the modules to the ML folder -- yes (the Smeangol modules). Did I make the card scriptable -- no. Please tell me how to do that.

JulianH: Use the 28may build by Gregory -- yes, that is the one I'm using (50-2013May28build.zip). Scroll down the movie tab to enable raw shooting -- yes, because I can't load the modules, they are not yet listed in the movie tab.

I made an empty "scripts" folder within the ML folder as it was mentioned this stops the warning about no scripts. Would that make a difference?

Use EOSCard tool in Windows, or Macboot in OSX.

TrueIndigo

As a matter of interest in the Debug menu I checked the shutter count, which says: "ok = 379+66". Can you tell me what that actually means as a shutter count (there are two figures). The seller said the camera was hardly used...

TrueIndigo

Menoc: Use EOSCard tool -- does that mean starting from scratch: make the card scriptable and then copy ML across again?
Many thanks for your help.

menoc

Quote from: TrueIndigo on June 06, 2013, 01:17:13 AM
As a matter of interest in the Debug menu I checked the shutter count, which says: "ok = 379+66". Can you tell me what that actually means as a shutter count (there are two figures). The seller said the camera was hardly used...

Your shutter has been actuated about a little over 400 times.

JulianH

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 05, 2013, 10:06:07 PM
have sent out the following email to a dozen registered testers
hi 50D testers,
per a1ex request, we need to confirm the black borders on DNGs generated in Silent Pics mode.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg46436#msg46436

i have made a special build to do this - it's not intended for general shooting and most .raw files will have the black borders and crazy colors.
it is to put the camera in Silent Picture mode, take single silent pictures, and get the exact pixel count of any black borders.
this build has set the borders to 0 - hence the name  NULL-05June13

if you haven't loaded new builds onto an existing card before, be careful, format it first and delete the ML config file.
not all of us need to do this, so whoever has time tonight should give it a go and report results on the forum.

the values that look correct to me are:
default image size -
top 26
left 74
right 0
bottom 0

in 5x zoom mode
top 0
left 74
right 0
bottom 0

please shoot some Silent DNGs and report back  any discrepancies.

it may be helpful to confirm that nothing changes in the other cases:
- try 10x zoom
- move the zoom box to various positions top,left, center, bottom right  (didn't JulianH report that thee borders changed when he did a raw video pan?).
- turn on raw_rec and try at various aspect ratios - i'm not even sure this will give images of different resolutions, if it does check for black borders.

the code assumes that these values are always the same, so if they are not there will be black borders.
this build may be slower that 28May13
file spanning will work.
.raw files will all have the black border issue.
weird things may happen with HDMI.

please refer back to forum post and provide credit in any public video.

regards,

My results

Full sensor
Silent DNG: 1664x1084
Top 26
Left 74
Right 0
Bottom 0

5x zoom mode
Silent DNG: 2064x1106
Top 26
Left 64
Right 0
Buttom 0

Weird that we get different results here. But I suppose that has to do with the 2064 width I get for Silent DNG's in zoom mode. In Raw video mode 1920x1104 I get 26 black pixel rows on top, zero on the other sides.

10x zoom test
Silent DNG: Gives the same image and result as 5x, doesn't seem to change anything.

Other observations
Not sure if all relevant, but I'll notice them just in case.

Raw video speeds look the same to me as the 28May build. But my card is the bottleneck around 59Mb/s max (Sandisk 90MB/s 32GB).
Shoot_Malloc_total seems to have grown. It reports 219M, I thought it was max. 212M with the other build. Contig = 27M.

- try 10x zoom
Recording raw video in 10x zoom gives garbadged results, just funky lines. But it looks like it's actually doing something different than in 5x.

- move the zoom box to various positions top,left, center, bottom
right  (didn't JulianH report that thee borders changed when he did a
raw video pan?).

I don't think I reported this, didn't have this experience. Didn't test it with the 05June build yet.

It does give different resolutions. No surprise with the black borders here. With max image size it's the same as in silent DNG and when cropping down to other aspect ratios the black lines disappear (when they are cropped out by lower height).