50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roman

Quote from: wesleydumont on June 05, 2013, 04:58:53 AM
Does this mean that in all modes for 50D ML, there are no manual controls?

No, but that's what I initially thought as I had the settings wrong...

When you are shooting a regular H264 movie with the 50D, there are no manual controls.

When you are shooting a raw video however, you dont even need to be in movie mode... it can sample the frames from the live view screen in photo mode.

So you can set the exposure time and ISO etc as you would for a picture (with exposure compensation turned on) and it operates as per the settings you've put in there.

However I've noticed that if I choose an exposure of say 1/10th of a second when I'm recording at 24fps, it still brightens the screen towards that... which it shouldnt, I dont know what it does to the raw file when you do this.
So just be mindful of setting the exposure length to some amount below the indicated frame rate.

I'm not sure how fps override affects the indicated exposure length though, whether it's accurate for 30fps only.

John-Jo

Tried deleting files in camera - some I could delete but then "no images to display" came up but top LCD said card had only 2 remaining shots. 32 GB Sandisk extreme. Just wanted to make some space for more shooting but failed. Tried to record anyway and would let me get a few frames before it cut out. Got home and it was full CF. Also tried deleting in Canons menu, first time round I was in ML, hitting play, to select, then trash to delete.

Q's:
1: Can you review, not play but just delete in camera with files actually being deleted not just hidden?
2: Is this a known issue or have I got a setting checked /unchecked somewhere?

- don't think I've read it anywhere in this thread, forgive me if it is in here though, just so much data been written into my brain right now I may be the one with dropped frames etc!

Thanks for any input.   :)

Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: artiswar on June 05, 2013, 04:48:37 AM
I think RAW2DNG not recognizing it is due to an error in the footer. Fix the joined file in a hex editor (apparently) and it will read. Too busy with gigs but will test soon.

Does the footer needs to be done on the windows side of things aswell? In bootcamp I joined the files successfully and extracted them to DNG, but all files post spanning (contained in the .r00 file) are corrupted. They're a garbly mess of colors and noise.

Roman, you said you did it successfully, were there any corrupted frames when you extracted to DNG?

Btw I'm using the may28th build.

Nachelsoul

Quote from: necronomfive on June 04, 2013, 11:33:31 PM
Turn optimize for -> exact fps on in FPS Override Menu.
Thanks man. Solved it!!!!

Fioritura

Hi eattheblinds,

Quote from: eattheblinds on June 05, 2013, 02:09:05 AM
and here's my first noob question: i'm trying to put the ML files onto my komputerbay 64gb CF and for some reason i can't even get my macbook pro to read the card.  tried the same card on my gf's mbp and it won't read it either.  is this a dead card or am i missing a step to make the card readable?

NOTE: the other CF card i have (an old/slow lexar that came with the 50D) works/reads just fine and allowed me to install ML 2.3.  haven't bothered to try to install the raw modules/autoexec.bin files on a card this slow.

I had the same problem: the FAT32 filesystem of the 64 GB (KomputerBay 600x) not being accessible via a Transcend USB 3 CF card reader--but through an old Microtrack (at abyssmal "speed"). Possibly it's the size! Trying a 32 GB card soon. Let's see if that solves the issue.

Fioritura

Hi Roman,

Quote from: Roman on June 05, 2013, 05:06:42 AM
When you are shooting a regular H264 movie with the 50D, there are no manual controls.

it does not seem to be so for me. I can set ISO, aperture & fps just fine.

a1ex

ML has manual controls with expo override (see the help).

arrinkiiii

Quote from: a1ex on June 05, 2013, 09:57:05 AM
ML has manual controls with expo override (see the help).

In ML we TRUST   ;D

Nachelsoul

When I open the DNGĀ“s in ACR, I see the images way out of the WB and tint I suppose to shot. Although it is easy to fix in ACR, I was wondering if it is possible to keep the WB values I choose while shooting?. The 5D2, that I also use, do not show that weird tint when imported in ACR. Thanks.

a1ex

Feel free to implement all those matrix multiplications for proper WB info (just look at dcraw/ufraw code)

;)

GregoryOfManhattan

the basic CAM_COLORMATRIX values are and have been same as those in ufraw-0.19.2 for some time.
if these are inaccurate, correcting them should also be done in ufraw.

does any one else perceive the white balance values changing from camera settings during a shot -
particularly on shots with camera movement (or scene change) from bright to dark?

a1ex

That matrix (and others) should be used when converting from kelvin to RGB multipliers. See Temperature_to_RGB from ufraw source code - if you can port that, plug the kelvin value and get the multipliers. No idea about green/magenta shift though.

Quotedoes any one else perceive the white balance values changing from camera settings during a shot -
particularly on shots with camera movement (or scene change) from bright to dark?

I don't remember any confirmation for fixing black level and skip offsets. Did you post the silent pic DNG I've asked for a while ago?

John-Jo

My first 1920 x 1080 test on line.
https://vimeo.com/67720156

Shot at 1576 x 880. 24 fps. 0.9 bit rate. Canon 50mm F/1.8. Sandisk Extreme 32GB 60Mb/s.
raw2dng>AE: scaled and light grade. 16 bit. scaled by 122% to 1920x1080> exported as ProRes 422HQ>FCP7 Light grade / cut.
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

araucaria

Quote from: John-Jo on June 05, 2013, 01:54:11 PM
My first 1920 x 1080 test on line.

Shot at 1576 x 880. 24 fps. 0.9 bit rate. Canon 50mm F/1.8. Sandisk Extreme 32GB 60Mb/s.
raw2dng>AE: scaled and light grade. 16 bit. scaled by 122% to 1920x1080> exported as ProRes 422HQ>FCP7 Light grade / cut.
How many frames did you get before skipping?

Btw, looks very 16mm ;)

closetoheaven

Hey guys,

I received my Komputerbay 32GB 1000x card today. Now, everything runs stable. It records until the card is full. Except for some times, when the buffer was filled just after 1 second. No idea what the reason for that may be.
The problems I am facing right now are on a post production site.
1. I have the impression that raw2dng.exe is not able to convert files bigger than 2GB. Can anybody confirm that? Is there a way to get around this? Any alternatives to this program?
2. I can record over 4GB without a problem. The problem however is, that the files are packed into a .WINrar file, which I can not access for whatever reason. Any solutions for that?

Another thing: Who do I have to contact in order to donate ML?

Best regards!

Roman

It's not a winrar file - It's just that R00 R01 etc are also file extensions that spanned .RAR files use.

In this case instead its first .raw, then .r00, then .r01, etc.

Basically you need to merge the files back into one, using a dos command or similar in before you can decode them to dng files.

closetoheaven

Thanks for your reply! Can you give instructions on how to do that?

Do you have a way to convert .raw files with a file size bigger than 2GB?

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: a1ex on June 05, 2013, 01:20:50 PM
I don't remember any confirmation for fixing black level and skip offsets. Did you post the silent pic DNG I've asked for a while ago?
mentioned on another thread - have Silent Pics and took 2 DNGs after setting skips to 0 - one default, one zoom mode.
inserted measured skip values into src/raw.c now in unified branch.
tested zoom and regular video no longer have wild black point (fixable in gimp or RPP).
zoom mode test video - https://vimeo.com/67680036 ( ufraw-batch -a ) color slightly magenta - roses were a little less pink to my eye.

i see some cameras have different skip values for mv1080 and mv720 - which i don't think apply to 50D.

is there value in testing this further -
zoom at different aspect ratios?
zoom with box top left vs. center (wonder about this because of some comments on color changes when using raw panning)?

please let us know how much additional testing should be done and i will send a zero skip build to some of the experienced testers.

menoc

Quote from: CaptainOfObvious on June 05, 2013, 06:38:05 AM
Does the footer needs to be done on the windows side of things aswell? In bootcamp I joined the files successfully and extracted them to DNG, but all files post spanning (contained in the .r00 file) are corrupted. They're a garbly mess of colors and noise.

Roman, you said you did it successfully, were there any corrupted frames when you extracted to DNG?

Btw I'm using the may28th build.

I successfully joined the spanned files. My findings are that the first file (the one with the .RAW extension) is NOT corrupt and the DNGs look good, but the DNGs in the next file start to corrupt. My guess is that at some point after ML writes the first spanned file, either the next file in the sequence is not written correctly, or the DNG's code is not written correctly. I also tried adding the footer to the second file in the sequence and renaming it with the .RAW extension. raw2dng recognizes it and it extracts all the DNGs properly but they all look corrupt as in the second example below. This leads me to believe that there is something in the code to write the DNG that is causing the corruption. Here's an example of the DNGs:

Here's a link to the original DNGs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bg9wu6ykuprui77/001715.dng
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6gyg4hvsbqeicwf/001716.dng

This is the last DNG in the first file in the file spanning sequence (M04-1458.RAW):

This is the first DNG in the second file in the file spanning sequence (M04-1458.R00):

Here's what the header of the good DNG looks like:

And here's the header of the corrupt DNG:

savale

Known issue that needs to be fixed...

GregoryOfManhattan

@menoc and @savale spanning is much better on later builds - though i still do see frames like the posted example

menoc

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 05, 2013, 04:17:21 PM
@menoc and @savale spanning is much better on later builds - though i still do see frames like the posted example

Do tell . . . Is there a better build than the May 28th for the 50D?

. . . I guess not for the 50D

muddmanrich

Been a lurker on this thread for a while but I've just received my 50d + Transcend 32gb 1000x card today and would love to help with testing once I get everything up and running.

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: a1ex on June 04, 2013, 03:33:55 PM
ExpSim has only 3 values: off, on or movie. Canon movie mode on 50D is fully automatic, no manual controls.

on 50D, doesn't Exp. Override permit manual operation, per the 2.3 user guide - http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#exposure-override ?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 05, 2013, 06:19:36 PM
on 50D, doesn't Exp. Override permit manual operation, per the 2.3 user guide - http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#exposure-override ?

Yes we have manual controls Exp. Override permits that.  I found that out last night after playing around with the camera.