50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dacssfreak

Well, Exposure Override does the job for me. Just set it to ON. ML now also controls the Aperture, so there also should be no need to activate the sticky DOF.

Roman

Ahh that's good news about the sticky DOF.  8)

Perhaps I had some weird settings there, prior to starting movie mode which have translated across. I'll try some more to replicate it, and find out where I went wrong.

Roman

Aha! I think I know where I went wrong.

I had exposure simulation OFF from when I was playing around with the camera before... But when I was out tonight I already had liveview/movie mode turned on, so when I went to the exposure menu to check, it just shows exposure simulation mode as MOVIE rather than on or off.

Would it be possible to update the exposure simulation setting title to be 'movie(off)' or 'movie(on)' perhaps?
Or just force it on, when in movie mode?

I cant think why you'd have it off while recording.

dacssfreak

When you set Exposure Override to ON it automatically overrides the exposure simulation. Also disable Movie Mode ... Raw video works without having it enabled.

And turn OFF Exposure Lock and Exposure Presets

a1ex

ExpSim has only 3 values: off, on or movie. Canon movie mode on 50D is fully automatic, no manual controls.

Roman

aahhh I see... I thought I needed movie mode turned on, for the raw video to work. (which is part of where I got stuck)

Makes sense, thanks guys!

I'll give it another try tomorrow.

goldenchild9to5

If you guy's really wanna know what the 50D in capable of them you need to watch this video.  It's by far one of the best video's I've seen from the beloved 50D I don't the 5D Mark III can hang 50D is more filmic.  Check it out guy's let me know what you think. 

rockfallfilms

Just been doing some testing at 1592x896 and 25fps

I can get constant recording with the following settings:

Global draw on
Focus peaking on
Sound mode off
Hacked mode on
ISO 500

If I raise the ISO any further then it skips frames.

araucaria

Has anybody tried silent pics lately? I was wondering what the max resolution in 5x zoom mode is.

Ifani

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 04, 2013, 03:57:58 PM
If you guy's really wanna know what the 50D in capable of them you need to watch this video.  It's by far one of the best video's I've seen from the beloved 50D I don't the 5D Mark III can hang 50D is more filmic.  Check it out guy's let me know what you think. 

it looks great and shows quite well the enormous capabilities of the 50D. nice example you found.
though you can still recognize moire in detailed shots like the first even in 1592 x 724. of course its much better
than in 1280 width which was the max. resolution i was able to test at the moment.
maybe the chromatic aberration remove tool in ACR could help?
has anyone tested it yet?

P.S. shouldn't sound like too much critics, i more than love the look, the 50d produces :D

Ifani

P.S.
@ goldenchild9to5
did you shot "venice beach" or did you found it?, wasn't sure:)
somehow or other, nice you shared it.

AndyNCode

Wonderful works on the hack!

I haven't got a fast card yet. Just got a cheap 600x silicon power, only give me 38m/s. Komputerbay on its long way (10days to AU)!

One question for 1988X1052 in 5x crop mode. Despite of its pinky appearance, actual image seems cover more than the live view display. Is there any possiblity to have a full frame monitoring in crop mode?

Here is a fast test on resolution of my old Tarmon 400/6.3 in 5X mode, 1988X1052, cropped and letter box (basically all black though) to 1920X1080. Noticing the thumbnail is the display from the live view when I shot it, but the actual image recorded is much wider (nearly 2x wider).

Update: Never mind. I found the exact cover here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.msg44398#msg44398
But still, if we can have a actual frame monitoring would be good for tele-shots. I am afraid it's too much to tweak.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Ifani on June 04, 2013, 04:59:04 PM
P.S.
@ goldenchild9to5
did you shot "venice beach" or did you found it?, wasn't sure:)
somehow or other, nice you shared it.

I didn't shoot the video I just found it, to me the images are just perfect.  50D does not produce that much aliasing, or moire from all the test I've done and the lower than 1080p Resolution and the way it processes the images gives it that softness roundness to the image which the 5D Mark III don't have. 

jchristman

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 04, 2013, 03:57:58 PM

Thanks goldenchild, that's my video. I'm amazed at the images that the 50D produces in RAW. Yes, there is still moire; it's especially bad around the houses in the first shot, but overall I'd say moire isn't a big problem. I didn't try the CA tool, but that might take care of some of the color noise.

Jason

hijodeibn

Thanks goldenchild, that's my video. I'm amazed at the images that the 50D produces in RAW. Yes, there is still moire; it's especially bad around the houses in the first shot, but overall I'd say moire isn't a big problem. I didn't try the CA tool, but that might take care of some of the color noise.
Jason

Indeep I liked it....very filmic images......probably with Luxury line lens you could reduce even more the moire and get fantastics images......I just wish i had my camera to do some test with my LOMO lens......a little bit more of patience!!

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: jchristman on June 04, 2013, 06:18:05 PM

Jason

No problem Christman was such a beautifully shot video I had to post  8)  By the way do you use the "Hacked Mode On" or you just leave it on off.  Lastly what FPS did you set you AE Comp to?  24fps, or 23.976fps  Keep those video's coming..

goldenchild9to5

Guy's let's keep the donations flowing we are only $25 away from achieving goal, Let's go 50D community.  Developer @1% is counting on us to make it happen & also developer @Gregory.  For more info Please contact @JulianH he will forward you all the info thank you. 

John-Jo

Hey team.
50D finally arrived this afternoon.  ;D CF card is Sandisk Extreme 32GB 60Mb/s. With this in mind I just went for a 1280 x 720 workflow. Just wanted to try and get my head round it all. Have included the video below, not to show what this camera can do as others have done that far better!!! This is my first go at the whole thing. Pretty exciting times! Currently in a cast and on crutches but hoping to get out and about to get some decent footage tomorrow.

Was running fine at these settings. Can not get Komputer bay sent to NZ. Looking round for others.

For now, here is a beer for all the hard working Magic Lantern crew! Can't send beer through the post to 1% but lets get that card to him!

https://vimeo.com/67630114
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: John-Jo on June 04, 2013, 07:23:33 PM
Hey team.
50D finally arrived this afternoon.  ;D CF card is Sandisk Extreme 32GB 60Mb/s. With this in mind I just went for a 1280 x 720 workflow. Just wanted to try and get my head round it all. Have included the video below, not to show what this camera can do as others have done that far better!!! This is my first go at the whole thing. Pretty exciting times! Currently in a cast and on crutches but hoping to get out and about to get some decent footage tomorrow.

Was running fine at these settings. Can not get Komputer bay sent to NZ. Looking round for others.

For now, here is a beer for all the hard working Magic Lantern crew! Can't send beer through the post to 1% but lets get that card to him!

https://vimeo.com/67630114

Congrats John.. Great video look good @ 720p looks like a commercial.  You forgot to mention @Gregoryofmanhattan he put in a lot of work on this lastest build that we are currently using.

paulforte

I've been having a great time with a KomputerBay 32GB 1000x CF card - being able to shoot continuously at max resolution. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for my new KomputerBay 1000x 128GB card. It typically stops recording around 250 frames every time. Seems to max out at 48 MB/s where as my 32GB card runs smoothly at around 57 MB/s. - Are the 128GB cards known to be bad? Or could it be that I'm doing something wrong?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: paulforte on June 04, 2013, 08:08:48 PM
I've been having a great time with a KomputerBay 32GB 1000x CF card - being able to shoot continuously at max resolution. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for my new KomputerBay 1000x 128GB card. It typically stops recording around 250 frames every time. Seems to max out at 48 MB/s where as my 32GB card runs smoothly at around 57 MB/s. - Are the 128GB cards known to be bad? Or could it be that I'm doing something wrong?

The KomputerBay 128GB seems to be slower don't know why but it is.. 

menoc

Quote from: paulforte on June 04, 2013, 08:08:48 PM

Yes. The 128GB cards are slower. You should have gotten 2 64GB 1000x . . . Send it back for refund or exchange maybe?

paulforte

Quote from: menoc on June 04, 2013, 09:02:36 PM
Yes. The 128GB cards are slower. You should have gotten 2 64GB 1000x . . . Send it back for refund or exchange maybe?

Indeed - thanks. Just saw this post as well - http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5391.msg34356#msg34356 - I'll return the 128 and go for the 64s.

Rolfe Klement

Dear All

This is amazing. Huge thanks to everyone working on this!! I am a newbie here and was thinking about creating a summary help document for 50D users. I have had a interesting 5 days getting this working. My background is film cinema and this whole canon ML and Canon ML RAW is all new to me. So hopefully my ignorance can help write a better document for complete newbies to 50D RAW. Please amend  / correct which I have had to figure out from reading various posts all over the place. Again I expect I have made some basic errors but this is draft 1...and if this has been done before then apologies.

Get a 50D - ideally with low shutter count - submit a picture from the camera to a site (search google for shutter count websites) to get the shutter count
Get fast CF cards (link here for reviews) but ideally a 4 x 64GB 1000x card
Format the card in camera
Copy the latest build for 50D to your computer drive -  link here to latest build (not sure of best..) - (Note - Each CF card you use in the camera needs the build software since ML seems to reference the code on the CF card -  is this correct?)
Copy the files to the CF card (Note for mac OSX users - The fast CF cards needs a USB3 reader -  even if your machine only has USB2 ports. If you use USB2 readers with the fast cards then it endlessly mounts and dismounts - even in Disk Utility)
Put CF card with ML software into camera
Update firmware on camera - using standard canon menu
reboot camera - do this by power off and on
Press the TRASH button (this takes you into ML controls) on camera to check it has loaded correctly (click through messages using the wheel, set and mouse, centre mouse hold (figure out what does what -it is easy-ish)
The ML interface build should have a M tab - enable the modules and set to auto load -  you should see a RAW modules
Reboot camera
Set camera to no RAW and S JPEG using standard Canon controls - this helps buffer sizes and makes ML video better going forward
Click TRASH - you are now in ML in video
Go to ML video tab -  enable RAW (It might give you weird frame sizes - don't worry)
Go into Live View -  press TRASH - amend RAW frame / fps settings by holding the mouse click button down for a few seconds
Set the frame rate to 24 or 25
Make sure camera battery is at least 20% - ML seems to go wonky on me sometimes below 20%
disable global draw -  is this valid?
(note each time you reboot you need to set the RAW settings again -  this is irritating but you learn how to do it quite quickly - is this correct)

Now this is where I get hazy - my film background says I need to light meter then set and lock exposure and ISO in camera and then adjust lighting to keep a constant F stop because otherwise the inconsistent DOF is distracting to audience (and it keeps my HMI rental companies in business :-)...
but the 50D seems to not easily allow me to lock F stop with canon standard lenses when shooting video... My newbie question here is "What is the easiest way to lock the camera with a canon lens to F4 at ISO 160 and 24fps - irrespective of reboots or mad changes in scene brightness?"

Is this why most videos using D50 and ML RAW do not use canon lenses. It seems you need a manual lens - I imagine there is a way to lock the F stop on a canon lens but i can't figure it out yet :-) - There seems to be some way using the * button but I can't always get it to work

Once you got footage
Download to computer - using USB3 reader for MAC OSX
Convert RAW sequence to DNG - I use RAW2DNG - drag and drop and builds directory in same place as RAW file - which is why I put it on a separate video hard drive
select all images and open in Photoshop CS5. This opens the RAW tool
Select all images
Tweak to taste - set exposure and colour temp - this is where it is amazing!!
Save as TIFF sequence - left hand menu
Cancel out of RAW CS5 tool then close Photoshop
Then bring into Resolve and grade!
Then be amazed at footage!!

Thanks

Rolfe Klement
creativesunshine.com

7thRest

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 04, 2013, 07:03:08 PM
Guy's let's keep the donations flowing we are only $25 away from achieving goal, Let's go 50D community.  Developer @1% is counting on us to make it happen & also developer @Gregory.  For more info Please contact @JulianH he will forward you all the info thank you.

Count me in, PM the details please
50D ML RAW, 60D ML