50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savale

Here is my first raw test. I use to shoot girls/models, but since there was none available today I used some flowers for my first test ;)

JulianH

Quote from: araucaria on June 03, 2013, 10:52:26 PM
How is battery life doing with raw recording? I heard when recording h264 it drains pretty fast.
I haven't 'counted' it but it runs out pretty fast I think. I'm not very concerned about it, just keep a few spares and my card is full (32GB) before I run out of a battery anyway. You'd need a sh*tload of storage to shoot more than you can last with your batteries.

eattheblinds

hey all, big fan of ML and just registered to help walk me through this new canon raw video revolution.  just picked up a handful of 50Ds and hoping to get some test footage up soon and help with the development. advance apologies for being a noob and the subsequent dumb questions i'll be asking.

CaptainOfObvious

Speaking of dumb questions, trying to figure it out myself but can't. Whenever I transcode my tiffs (from RPP) inside MPEG Streamclip I'm getting a sort of dreamy blurry motion, depsite FPS override being on at 24fps. I'm setting MPEG Streamclip for 24fps aswell I'm not sure what I'm not sure what's going wrong exactly. Anyone else experience this?

rommex

Hey all.

I'm a fan of ML, have used it on my 550D a lot and now am very close to decide to buy a used 50D -- all for the sake of RAW video. I also took part in 1% cam donation -- this is my token contribution to all the HUGE work that's being done here.

I have 2 questions though that bother me:

1. I see all these amazing test videos with 24 FPS. Is there 25FPS? For my work it is crucial.

2. I read the other day about the problem with electronic aperture for EF lens. I would appreciate if someone assures me that I can control my electronic aperture while shooting RAW video.

Thanks a lot people! This community is cool  8)

savale

Quote from: rommex on June 03, 2013, 11:21:26 PM
Hey all.

I'm a fan of ML, have used it on my 550D a lot and now am very close to decide to buy a used 50D -- all for the sake of RAW video. I also took part in 1% cam donation -- this is my token contribution to all the HUGE work that's being done here.

I have 2 questions though that bother me:

1. I see all these amazing test videos with 24 FPS. Is there 25FPS? For my work it is crucial.

2. I read the other day about the problem with electronic aperture for EF lens. I would appreciate if someone assures me that I can control my electronic aperture while shooting RAW video.

Thanks a lot people! This community is cool  8)

Answers:
1) 25FPS will work too, but the lower the FPS the less bandwidth is needed. Make sure you get a 1000x card and you're fine :)
2) I read that also, but I had no problem controlling an EF-S lens. Maybe someone else can help you out... If this is even an issue I am pretty sure it will be fixed one day

rockfallfilms

Quote from: rommex on June 03, 2013, 11:21:26 PM

I've just shot some footage at 25fps and it recorded fine, I'm using a 1000x card, the buffer usage looked pretty similar to 24fps.

I also tried out an EFS lens (Tamron 17-50mm) and found that when I stopped it down the LV image didn't darken much. Even when I stopped down to almost closed, the LV image was still pretty bright.

Manual aperture lenses seem to work fine though.

Chris50d

Hello everyone,
have been doing some testing and i would like to know how is your workflow from shooting to final video.
So, i capture the movie. use raw2dng to convert to dng, open the dng in after effects which opens camera raw and i make my adjustments in a supossed to be (14 bit) file. then when e edit the video im not getting the dinamic range that a 14 bit image should give me. is there any software that makes me able to work with dng's at their full color depth? im using after effects but im sure there is another way around....

dacssfreak

Quote from: Chris50d on June 03, 2013, 11:50:48 PM
Hello everyone,
have been doing some testing and i would like to know how is your workflow from shooting to final video.
So, i capture the movie. use raw2dng to convert to dng, open the dng in after effects which opens camera raw and i make my adjustments in a supossed to be (14 bit) file. then when e edit the video im not getting the dinamic range that a 14 bit image should give me. is there any software that makes me able to work with dng's at their full color depth? im using after effects but im sure there is another way around....

After Effects can handle up to 32 Bit float footage so 14 Bit raw is no problem for AE. Just make sure to change the composition settings to 16 Bits per channel. Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+K to access that menu
(A standard AE composition has only 8 Bits per channel which equals a JPEG picture)

savale

You'll always loose the dynamic range of raw / dng, but make sure you do that in the final stage only. (back to h264/mp4 for internet usage) Only problems I run into myself is the color space in after effects.

@dacssfreak: thanks for that one. The video I posted was 8bit  :o (bit still ok)

nightvision04

I don't think there's a program that will let you work with a preserved 14-bit colour. That's why its important to desaturate /turn down highlights/ turn up shadows when you're importing into After Effects, you'll need to create "log style" images that you can later retrieve your entire colorspace.

If any program is close to working with native RAW, it's Resolve, but they're not quite there yet.

Hope that helps.
Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

JulianH

There's no need or sense to want a 14 bit final file I think. The whole advantage of raw is the freedom you have when grading. The final result can have way less dynamic range if you push the contrasts, or you can compress the highlights and brighten the shadows to get as much as DR as you want. You'll never see the whole 14 bits on a screen anyway. The power is in the 'hidden' data, the fact that you can lift up shadows or darken highlights without destroying the image.

blackroom

was just corresponding with the mosaic engineering guys about the 5D2 VAF.
they're interested in getting a 50D to test out, we might find out soon if the 6D filter could work.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: blackroom on June 04, 2013, 12:13:46 AM
was just corresponding with the mosaic engineering guys about the 5D2 VAF.
they're interested in getting a 50D to test out, we might find out soon if the 6D filter could work.

Don't think the 50D needs it, to me the image is fine I have little to none Aliasing and moire in my footage. 

goldenchild9to5

Guy's only $53 to go.. please get your donations in, if you haven't yet contact @JulianH for details.

hijodeibn

Quote from: savale on June 03, 2013, 11:04:02 PM
Here is my first raw test. I use to shoot girls/models, but since there was none available today I used some flowers for my first test ;)

Looks OK for a first test.....and I would love to see some RAW in girls/models.....please include the resolution you are shooting :)

hijodeibn

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 04, 2013, 12:53:55 AM
Guy's only $53 to go.. please get your donations in, if you haven't yet contact @JulianH for details.

This community rocks.....almost there guys.....lets complete the last step!!!

JulianH

Went out for some shots earlier, didn't have the time to process everything and to make an edit, but I wanted to show some shots anyway. Going to try some new workflows with more of the footage later.

Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8, after sunset. High iso.

Ungraded, straight conversions from raw (bit of noise reduction and less sharpening)
Upsized in Premiere to 1080p. Added sharpen 20 in Premiere.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 04, 2013, 12:53:55 AM

Waiting that my money enter in my paypal account  :'(   (3 days)

ble55ed

I'm thinking of buying a 50D, I see you said High ISO but how high? I can't take my T2i over 1250 without a lot of noise

artiswar

Quote from: arrinkiiii on June 04, 2013, 01:57:10 AM
Waiting that my money enter in my paypal account  :'(   (3 days)

Likewise. The growth of this is phenomenal.

JulianH

Quote from: ble55ed on June 04, 2013, 01:57:44 AM
I'm thinking of buying a 50D, I see you said High ISO but how high? I can't take my T2i over 1250 without a lot of noise
It's hard to tell what iso the camera is really using in live view... I can't tell any more. I've put it on H1, H2, (6400, 12800) but it might be less actually. If I take a picture at the same setting, it's brighter than the live view image. Anyway, it was dark and i shot at f/2.8 1/50s and it looks pretty good to me.

Do buy a 50D. It's worth it for the resolution alone.

araucaria

Quote from: JulianH on June 04, 2013, 02:18:37 AM
It's hard to tell what iso the camera is really using in live view... I can't tell any more. I've put it on H1, H2, (6400, 12800) but it might be less actually. If I take a picture at the same setting, it's brighter than the live view image. Anyway, it was dark and i shot at f/2.8 1/50s and it looks pretty good to me.

Do buy a 50D. It's worth it for the resolution alone.
Your sunset sky made me happy, I've always had problems with sky colors in h264. Can't wait to get the 50d.

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: araucaria on June 04, 2013, 02:26:13 AM
Your sunset sky made me happy, I've always had problems with sky colors in h264. Can't wait to get the 50d.

Being able to isolate colors with MUCH more accuracy is a breath of fresh air compared to the usual h264 you get out canon. The image just doesn't fall apart immediately I love it.

HOWEVER, does anyone know why I'm having these frame rate problems? ML RAW says I'm shooting at 24p, when I convert to dng with RAW2DNG it reads as 24p, but if I try to transcode into any codec or even drop raw Tiffs right onto my timeline I get playback as if it's 12fps, then I have to retime it by 2x just get close. Has anyone else experienced this?

artiswar

Quote from: CaptainOfObvious on June 04, 2013, 02:50:37 AM
Being able to isolate colors with MUCH more accuracy is a breath of fresh air compared to the usual h264 you get out canon. The image just doesn't fall apart immediately I love it.

HOWEVER, does anyone know why I'm having these frame rate problems? ML RAW says I'm shooting at 24p, when I convert to dng with RAW2DNG it reads as 24p, but if I try to transcode into any codec or even drop raw Tiffs right onto my timeline I get playback as if it's 12fps, then I have to retime it by 2x just get close. Has anyone else experienced this?

Where are you processing the TIFF sequences?