50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulianH

Great news: the Camera is fully funded, thanks to donations from the following ML users:

JulianH (ML)
Andy600 (ML)
Novosibirets (ML)
Savale (ML)
dhallowell19 (ML)
Menoc (ML)
Goldenchild9to5 (ML)
Hijodeibn (ML)
ashtrai (ML)
Rue (ML)
PhilK (ML)
Blackroom (ML)
Paulforte (ML)
John-Jo (ML)
Primemultimedia (ML)
Bper****
HHL (ML)
Roman (ML)
Buildbyflying (ML)
Frerichs (ML)
rockfallfilms (ML)
xaled (ML)
Anonymous (ML)

Big thanks to all of you. I took a risk on just buying the camera and shipping it... But I didn't doubt you would be willing to share the costs with me. The response has been great!

There's even $20 'left over' - I have proceeded this into the funds for a CF card. I'll talk to 1% what will be the best way to get a card to him. No worries about that. We can even discuss the specific card, type etc. I've set the goal at $120 which should be enough.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 03, 2013, 06:23:18 PM
Great news: the Camera is fully funded, thanks to donations from the following ML users:

Big thanks to all of you. I took a risk on just buying the camera and shipping it... But I didn't doubt you would be willing to share the costs with me. The response has been great!

There's even $20 'left over' - I have proceeded this into the funds for a CF card. I'll talk to 1% what will be the best way to get a card to him. No worries about that. We can even discuss the specific card, type etc. I've set the goal at $120 which should be enough.

He needs a fast card, Let's make it happen keep us updated.. 

goldenchild9to5

Hey guy's here is a quick test 50D Resolution blew me away.. 

WorkFlow: After Effects (ACR) exported to a Flat Log ProRes 4444 File / Into Premiere Pro CS5.5 for editing / Into Resolve 9 for so simple color adjustments nothing major / Back into Premiere Pro little bit of sharpening and exported out to H264 1080p voila..
KomputerBay 64GB 1000X CF Card

rockfallfilms

Finally got my card and just did a quick test:

1320x742 - continuous
1440x810 - 800 frames
1592x896 - 200 frames

All 24 fps

Komputerbay 64gb 1000x

I'm getting slower than other people so I may have something still turned on in the canon menus. Do you guys turn off histogram/wave form etc?

This is with global draw set to liveview

Also when you run the benchmark how do you get a screen print?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 03, 2013, 07:29:14 PM
Finally got my card and just did a quick test:

1320x742 - continuous
1440x810 - 800 frames
1592x896 - 200 frames

All 24 fps

Komputerbay 64gb 1000x

I'm getting slower than other people so I may have something still turned on in the canon menus. Do you guys turn off histogram/wave form etc?

Also when you run the benchmark how do you get a screen print?

Yep turn all of those off, make sure you put your 50D on JPG (Large) mode and turn off Raw.  In Magic Lantern menu turn off Global Draw, turn Hacked Mode (ON)  One more thing what build are you using?  you need to be on the @Gregory's May 28th build that's the most stable one so far, go back 1, or 2 pages from this post I posted a link of full build download and install.  Make sure you format your card in camera.  Let me know if everything went smoothly. 

JulianH

Check this post by Menoc for settings to disable in the Canon menu's:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg45086#msg45086

Use Gregory's May28th build, it is linked in the first post of this topic! (last update).

rockfallfilms

Yeah I'm using the build you mentioned.

I just did another test with everything switched off and it now runs continuously at 1592x896. I wonder how Julian is getting continuous with global draw on??

Here's a quick screengrab:

JulianH

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 03, 2013, 07:53:31 PM
Yeah I'm using the build you mentioned.

I just did another test with everything switched off and it now runs continuously at 1592x896. I wonder how Julian is getting continuous with global draw on??

Here's a quick screengrab:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6HUSFpmHmZEbFlhdmxEZ2RmSVE/edit?usp=sharing
I wonder too.. but it really works for me.

Just checked again:
GD off, 1592x896, recording around 52-53MB/s, skips after about 500 frames.
GD on, 1592x896, recording around 56-57MB/s, keeps running. After 12GB I got bored and stopped, it just keeps going.

Anyway, the development of the 50D is still early. The fact that it can run like this (and even better for other users with faster cards than my Sandisk 90GB/s) proves that there are good things to come :) IMO it already works like a charm, even with all the bugs and errors in the code.

Your screengrab doesn't work, it's not public.

rockfallfilms

Which card are you using?

Just been out and filmed something in the garden, going to see how it turned out! Strangely I've got a .R00 file in with the RAW's

Link should work now.

necronomfive

Finally, my KomputerBay 32GB card arrived!  ;D

Just shot a few tests @1592x896. Buffer always stayed at one star, no big deal, camera and CF card bored as hell!

But important: turn on hacked mode! Otherwise, it won't work!

More experiments following...

pinger007

Quote from: necronomfive on June 03, 2013, 08:51:10 PM
Finally, my KomputerBay 32GB card arrived!  ;D

Just shot a few tests @1592x896. Buffer always stayed at one star, no big deal, camera and CF card bored as hell!

But important: turn on hacked mode! Otherwise, it won't work!

More experiments following...

While every camera/card is different, I'm able to get 29+ GB non-stop recording @ 1592x896 24p with my 32GB KomputerBay card without having hacked mode on.  I do, however, need hacked mode when shooting at 1920 resolution in 5X mode.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

CaptainOfObvious

Got my CF card in today Recorded 1329frames (stopped myself, seemed very stable) 1592x896 24fps on Komputerbay 64gb 1000x Card. Global draw On but no histograms or focus peaking. Transcoding the footage right now, but so far things are seemingly going off to a good start.

JulianH

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 03, 2013, 08:31:08 PM
Which card are you using?

Just been out and filmed something in the garden, going to see how it turned out! Strangely I've got a .R00 file in with the RAW's

Link should work now.
Sandisk Extreme 90MB/s 32GB.
R00 (and R01 etc.) you'll get when your recording is larger than 4GB. It will split up the files.

Link is working, good job on the dishes! ;)

hijodeibn

What do you think guys?, is it Komputerbay 64 GB 1000x the way to go?.......

rockfallfilms

What settings are you guys using in liveview? I have a manual lens on the camera and when i change aperture it changes brightness in liveview as it should.

I must have the wrong setting somewhere because when I increase the ISO it has no effect and the spot meter doesn't move. Even if I put it on ISO auto nothing changes.

I checked the ISO and it's working fine through the viewfinder, just not in liveview.

Any ideas what I've got wrong?

JulianH

Just another test video. Trying to wrap my head around the low light performance of this beast.
Shot with Sigma 30mm f/1.4 at 1/50 H1 (ISO 6400 equivalent) at 1592x864. Upsized in Premiere to 1080p (just scaled 121%).

Pushed the exposure in ACR two stops up, so equivalent = ISO 25.600. Added a bit of luma and color noise correction to taste, kept sharpening low.

Here's a screen grab, edited and unedited

pinger007

Quote from: hijodeibn on June 03, 2013, 09:49:55 PM
What do you think guys?, is it Komputerbay 64 GB 1000x the way to go?.......

Reading through the forum you'll see that the KompterBay 1000X 32gb and 64gb are great cards.  I get flawless recordings on my 50D and 5D Mark III with both flavors.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 03, 2013, 09:59:27 PM
What settings are you guys using in liveview? I have a manual lens on the camera and when i change aperture it changes brightness in liveview as it should.

I must have the wrong setting somewhere because when I increase the ISO it has no effect and the spot meter doesn't move. Even if I put it on ISO auto nothing changes.

I checked the ISO and it's working fine through the viewfinder, just not in liveview.

Any ideas what I've got wrong?

Have you tried exposure override in ML's exposure menu?

EDIT: override not lock, sorry.

savale

@JulianH:

It's a proof you should try to avoid these high iso's because of the noise and color issues. BUT it's also a proof that if you have little choice the footage is still very usable :) (or you can use the noise as creative effect) Thanks

CFP

Have you seen this: 50D RAW vs C100 | Vimeo?

SHIT! That really blew my mind! ;D

I said it a few times already but it's true: Magic Lantern is the best thing you can download from the internet.

It's a free firmware add-on that turns your 5 year old 50D (A camera that was build for photography only!!!) into a 5.000 € BEAST!

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 03, 2013, 10:02:48 PM

Just another test video. Trying to wrap my head around the low light performance of this beast.
Shot with Sigma 30mm f/1.4 at 1/50 H1 (ISO 6400 equivalent) at 1592x864. Upsized in Premiere to 1080p (just scaled 121%).

Pushed the exposure in ACR two stops up, so equivalent = ISO 25.600. Added a bit of luma and color noise correction to taste, kept sharpening low.

Here's a screen grab, edited and unedited

Great test man.. Amazing ISO 25,600 Wow looks like it's day time 50D is official a beast of a camera  ;D

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: CFP on June 03, 2013, 10:19:42 PM
Have you seen this: 50D RAW vs C100 | Vimeo?

SHIT! That really blew my mind! ;D

I said it a few times already but it's true: Magic Lantern is the best thing you can download from the internet.

It's a free firmware add-on that turns your 5 year old 50D (A camera that was build for photography only!!!) into a 5.000 € BEAST!

Yeah.. that video is amazing the 50D images looks better than the C100 even upscaled.  The C100 is $6K right Canon 50D $500 with Raw recording.  I think we are gonna see a lot of C100's on ebay soon. 

rockfallfilms

Quote from: CaptainOfObvious on June 03, 2013, 10:11:45 PM
Have you tried exposure override in ML's exposure menu?

EDIT: override not lock, sorry.

Thanks for that, I've turned it on and now the ISO dial is having an effect. Do you have exposure sim on or off?

araucaria

How is battery life doing with raw recording? I heard when recording h264 it drains pretty fast.

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 03, 2013, 10:51:14 PM

Thanks for that, I've turned it on and now the ISO dial is having an effect. Do you have exposure sim on or off?

Had it off at first, but for a clip I just shot I turned it on because I think I read that it's recommended? Just got my card today so I'm figuring out all the small details aswell.