50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

menoc

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 06:03:46 PM
Agree. Although the benchmark in the camera doesn't seem to end correctly (for me) and doesn't save the results.

Also, in live view, the benchmark is not showing the max of your card, the card controller can be the limiting factor. So it can be interesting to check with a USB 3 reader what the card is capable of, I think.

Try the pre-May 28th build to benchmark. You should get a .BMP in the root of your card with the benchmark results.

BTW, major props for the 50D to 1% . . . I'll send some contribution your way . . .

Fioritura

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 05:42:54 PM
Just a basic HAMA USB 3.0 reader. On Windows, don't know how that works for MAC. Should be no problem, card reader = card reader... it's just usb... as far as I know.

That's what I thought, but the card usable by the 50D is not readable by the Mac OS: Unrecognized File System. Might a different card reader work? I am able to access the card through a M-Audio Microtrack, at an abyssmal speed...

Regards,

Andrew

menoc

Lexar Professional 600x (32GB or 64GB) is a good alternative. Rock solid  - been using it for over a year and a half now. Never had problems with it. But if you must know, here are the speed comparisons with my Komputerbay 64GB 1000x card:

Lexar Professional 32GB 600x

Komputerbay 64GB 1000x:

JulianH

Looks good. That Lexar 600x is definately faster than my Sandisk 90MB/s. Would be interesting to see Komputerbay 600x results.

64GB 600X for 57 Euro seems to be the best deal in Europe. (ebay link).
Cheaper per GB than 128GB 600X at 99 Euro.

menoc

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 06:49:49 PM
Looks good. That Lexar 600x is definately faster than my Sandisk 90MB/s. Would be interesting to see Komputerbay 600x results.

That's a great deal. I paid almost $200 for the Lexar when I first bought it . . .

goldenchild9to5

Everybody please make your donation to @JulianH he took the risk and got a 50D package for 1% now let's take the initiative and repay him back with whatever you can.  Email him he will forward you a link with all details about package. 

John-Jo

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 06:49:49 PM

Quote from: a1ex on May 19, 2013, 09:41:14 AM
CF shootout:

SD shootout:

I've only used the log files created outside LiveView, so the results should be comparable.

Am I read this right? Is that a Komputer Bay 600x card waaaayy down at about 30Mb/s????? No idea what the "no name chip log" bit means.....
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

closetoheaven

Hey there,

I tested the latest nightly build and it´s awesome! Thanks a lot guys!

Issue´s which arised during raw recording:
- The buffer is full after 129 frames (recording at 24fps, 15XX x 720, sandisk extreme 60 mbits/sec). Is that the card´s buffer which is full or the camera´s buffer? I already ordered a komputerbay 1000x. Hope this solves the problem. I´ll let you know.
- Another issue I found was that the exposure changes after hiting the record button (not exclusivley in raw mode). The camera adjusts the exposure by itself when I point the lens on dark or bright areas. Anybody knows how to fix that? Does it have to do with the new exposure lock functions?

cheers

John-Jo

Quote from: closetoheaven on June 02, 2013, 07:53:05 PM
Hey there,

I tested the latest nightly build and it´s awesome! Thanks a lot guys!

Issue´s which arised during raw recording:
- The buffer is full after 129 frames (recording at 24fps, 15XX x 720, sandisk extreme 60 mbits/sec). Is that the card´s buffer which is full or the camera´s buffer? I already ordered a komputerbay 1000x. Hope this solves the problem. I´ll let you know.
- Another issue I found was that the exposure changes after hiting the record button (not exclusivley in raw mode). The camera adjusts the exposure by itself when I point the lens on dark or bright areas. Anybody knows how to fix that? Does it have to do with the new exposure lock functions?

cheers

Hey Closetoheaven.

"You need to turn all overlays off (even native Canon overlays), keep liveview exposure simulation on and set photo mode to jpeg only"  this could help get it going. also  Is it possible to go to 1280 by 720? Maybe do a benchmark test to check your card speed. Test can be found in the debug menu. Will need 43-44 Mb/s I think to run UP TO 1280 x 720. Higher res than that will need faster cards to record with out stopping / dropping frames.

I have a 50D in the mail and the same cards as you. Sandisk extreme 16 /32g.  They write at about 44.5Mb/s on my 7D. My 8GB Sandisk xtreme was only 40.9Mb/s.   What size is your Card?  CAn you try these settings and post back?
Was hoping to delay dropping more $$$ on cards right away and just use what I have.

Thanks.
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

kretynjakchuj

Hello!
I have been following this thread since it was created. I was just wondering, why my videos on 50d even on 640x480 are a little bit lagging(maybe frame skipping will be more suitable)? Is it because of the card? I am not sure but I think I have lexar professional 233x.
Thanks!

closetoheaven

Quote from: John-Jo on June 02, 2013, 08:12:43 PM

Hey Closetoheaven.

"You need to turn all overlays off (even native Canon overlays), keep liveview exposure simulation on and set photo mode to jpeg only"  this could help get it going. also  Is it possible to go to 1280 by 720? Maybe do a benchmark test to check your card speed. Test can be found in the debug menu. Will need 43-44 Mb/s I think to run UP TO 1280 x 720. Higher res than that will need faster cards to record with out stopping / dropping frames.

I have a 50D in the mail and the same cards as you. Sandisk extreme 16 /32g.  They write at about 44.5Mb/s on my 7D. My 8GB Sandisk xtreme was only 40.9Mb/s.   What size is your Card?  CAn you try these settings and post back?
Was hoping to delay dropping more $$$ on cards right away and just use what I have.

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply!
My card is 16GB. I will test your recommendations tommorow and post my results.

cheers

ashtrai

Don't forget to contribute to the payment of the camera JulianH purchased for 1%. He's stuck his neck out for us and any contribution is welcomed.

Send him a PM to get more details.

PhilK

Quote from: ashtrai on June 02, 2013, 09:15:44 PM
Don't forget to contribute to the payment of the camera JulianH purchased for 1%. He's stuck his neck out for us and any contribution is welcomed.

Send him a PM to get more details.

I've PM'd him.  It's a great thing he's done for the 50D ML community and he shouldn't have to carry the cost on his own!

goldenchild9to5

By the way guy's I'm getting phenomenal results with the new Build May, 28 from Gregory on the KomputerBay 64GB card.  full recording to 4.28GB @ 1592 x 896 just got one hick-up for the first recording.  I also learned a trick Put resolution to 1600 not 1920 it records smootly no problem no drop frames, the hack automatically places it to 1592 x 896.  loving it.. smooth recording thank you ML @Gregory and all the other developers.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: kretynjakchuj on June 02, 2013, 08:25:42 PM
Hello!
I have been following this thread since it was created. I was just wondering, why my videos on 50d even on 640x480 are a little bit lagging(maybe frame skipping will be more suitable)? Is it because of the card? I am not sure but I think I have lexar professional 233x.
Thanks!

Need faster card..

JulianH

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 02, 2013, 09:31:26 PM
By the way guy's I'm getting phenomenal results with the new Build May, 28 from Gregory on the KomputerBay 64GB card.  full recording to 4.28GB @ 1592 x 896 just got one hick-up for the first recording.  I also learned a trick Put resolution to 1600 not 1920 it records smootly no problem no drop frames, the hack automatically places it to 1592 x 896.  loving it.. smooth recording thank you ML @Gregory and all the other developers.
That's great news! 1592X896 @ 24 fps continuous recording? Can you confirm that? Post a picture of the camera doing it :) I really can't squeeze it beyond 450 frames at this resolution. Tried setting it to 1600 instead of 1920 but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

artiswar

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 09:36:23 PM
That's great news! 1592X896 @ 24 fps continuous recording? Can you confirm that? Post a picture of the camera doing it :) I really can't squeeze it beyond 450 frames at this resolution. Tried setting it to 1600 instead of 1920 but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Confirmed.

goldenchild9to5

Guy's we need everybody to contribute towards @JulianH purchase of a 50D for developers 1% he was kind enough to take that risk anything that you can give will help, like a posted before a $10 + is great got a long way to recover his expenses.  Let's make it happen guy's send him an email he will send you the info for donation we need everybody, we have the power to make the 50D shine with those contributions.

artiswar

Got to 14gbs before I got bored.  :P

One clip to "warm up the card" and I'm off running. Also on the Komputerbay 64GB

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 09:36:23 PM

Yep 1592X896 @ 24 fps continuous recording with no problem  ;D  Cool gonna take a picture while recording I'll post as soon as possible.  For some reason with Res set to 1600 instead of 1920 to me seems to make a difference, but it automatically set's it to 1592 x 896 anyways. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on June 02, 2013, 09:50:33 PM

One clip to "warm up the card" and I'm off running. Also on the Komputerbay 64GB

Nice.. but can you convert the files with Raw2Dng program, or windows version?  when I get to 4.28GB mines stops but I can't convert files.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on June 02, 2013, 09:46:29 PM
Confirmed.

It has been confirmed  ;D  great job Artiswar, but how did you get to 15GB guess card needs to warm-up gonna try also.  One more thing what settings do you have in camera? 

JulianH

Quote from: artiswar on June 02, 2013, 09:50:33 PM

Nice! But what build is that? I got 6 buffer stars on Greg's 28 may built. How come you have only 3 with a faster card.. interesting :)

@goldenchild9to5 how many dots do you get for the buffer? Mine shows like <**....>

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 10:05:06 PM
Nice! But what build is that? I got 6 buffer stars on Greg's 28 may built. How come you have only 3 with a faster card.. interesting :)

@goldenchild9to5 how many dots do you get for the buffer? Mine shows like <**....>

Same as @Artiswar (*..) 3 Stars not 6.  If you want I can zip a copy of my build for you to try, let me know Julian. 

artiswar

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 10:05:06 PM

I was curious to that as well.

Camera setting have hacked mode on, 1600 resolution picked, jpg L in Canon menu.

No CF reader around right now but I'm planning on merging the spanned clips in Terminal, adding the footer in a hex editor, and hoping for the best.