50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HHL

OK.  So the 29.97 fps is guess might be a statement, not a setting:

"Write speed needed:  71.3 MB/s at 29.985 fps"  That said, I'm not seeing where to configure the fps or the aspect ratio.  No biggie, I'll keep reading, lol.

JulianH

Try pressing the 'func' button when you are on the menu item for fps override or raw video ;)

Brian@202020

My question is off topic, but I can't find a better place to ask it. With the addition of RAW video on the 50D, the 50D is a tool I might just add to my kit. The only issue is the line skipping causing moire and aliasing artifacts. I know Mosaic Engineering makes some really effective video aliasing filters (VAF) for many of the Canon and Nikon DSLR's. Since the 50D was never intended to do video Mosaic Engineering doesn't make one for the 50D. I see some of their VAF's work on multiple camera's like the same one works on the T2i, T3i, and T4i. I was wondering if anyone knows if one of the other VAF's work on the 50D? For example does the VAF for the 60D also fit the 50D?

JulianH

Probably it would fit in the 50D if it does in the 60D. But they are designed for 1080p video. They don't produce nice results in 720P for example, so most probably the 50D's raw resolution(s) will be trouble.

HHL

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 01:30:18 AM
Try pressing the 'func' button when you are on the menu item for fps override or raw video ;)

Thanks Buddy!  That helped a lot.  Changed resolution, and I got LOTS of frames....lol.  I stopped after a while. 

This one I think means something, lol.  Is there some reason that I can't run any of the benchmarking menu items?  They all "blow up", it locks up the camera.  Is anyone else having this problem?

HHL

Camera R/W Bench mark.  That one crashes for me.  It gets through the Write, Then the Read, then it stops.  I have considered that what it does next is actually a part of the test, but it goes 'blank'.  That doesn't seem correct.  More on this later.

JulianH

Benchmarks have been weird for me as well. Don't seem to end correctly.

HHL

I thought that maybe it was because Live View was auto turning off after 1 min.  Sure enough, that was the setting, however, it still locked my camera.  So, the image on the screen in Live View just stopped/froze.  Had to remove battery.  Indeed, I think this one is official from me. 

On this build from "Gregory of Manhattan", May 28th build, the "Benchmark" for "Camera R/W" is locking up after completing 1 of 9 bench marks.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Cheers Peeps!

ps....I have a Komputar 1000x 64GB card.  Camera only has 23K actuations.

HHL

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 02:01:41 AM
Benchmarks have been weird for me as well. Don't seem to end correctly.

Thanks JulianH.  Confirmed.  Do we just email him to have him a heads-up, or is he reading through this thread on a regular basis?  Anywho....

JulianH

He is reading and I wouldn't be to worried about a benchmark not working. Just check what speeds are reliable when recording. See my results posted a few posts back.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 11:44:57 PM
Can you guys do some speed tests like I did? Curious to see if 1000X cards work faster than my 90MB/s.
Below I quote my previous results. Just ran some tests again, results vary sometimes... added them.

Just shoot at those resolutions a few times till the buffer fills. Make sure you're in 24 fps (it blinks on the screen if it works: 24 fps override), global draw off and hacked mode on (not sure if this makes a big difference but I used it).

Hey julian I'm back with some results still not too familiar with the ML but I tried a couple shots @ different res..

1592 x 960 @ 30FPS ~ 248 frames (Skip)
      1592 x 960 @ 24FPS ~ 1576 frames (Skip)
      1592 x 720 @ 24FPS ~ 2101 frames (4GB Limit) Note: (First recording stopped midway second try was good to go)
      1592 x 540 @ 24FPS ~ 2800 frames (4GB Limit) everytime   

Gonna do some more test tonight but so far that what I got.  Also a couple times @ 1592 x 720 @ 24FPS it got to two (**_) and showed in red 7 Frame skipped, but when I convert using Raw2Dng it it says 1 frame skipped.  Trying to understand the whole process of recording and converting.. the good & bad.  Hope that help to shed some light on the KomputerBay 64GB 1000X card, but from my experience it seems you need to shoot minimum of two test shots before everything runs smooth.  It might be just my card but that's what I got so far from the card, now time to go learn the post production side of things  8) any ideas on how to convert to ProRes 4444 After Affects done seem to have that option from Raw. 

dhallowell19

On a cleaned Komputerbay 64GB card, I did a fresh install of ML and then the newest 50D raw build (5/28) - just to be sure I wasn't introducing any problems with cards that had been used for raw in my 5DMiii.

Still - I don't get write rates anything like what Julian and others seem to be achieving.  Even 1280x720  writes at about 35-40 Mb/s and I start dropping frames after about 400 or so.  Same result whether or not I turn on Hacked mode, I have selected small jpg for still image size, turned off Global Draw.... still I seem to be missing something.   
I'll keep trying and reading the forum and other resources to learn - but I'll appreciate any tips about other things to test or try.

Thanks

pinger007

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 02, 2013, 02:25:10 AM
any ideas on how to convert to ProRes 4444 After Affects done seem to have that option from Raw.

Assuming you have prores codecs installed on your computer, then it's just a matter of exporting your comp as a quicktime.  In the quicktime options, there's an option for you to select a format:  prores, animation, etc.  I prefer the Avid DNxHD codec personally.  :)
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

pinger007

Is there a way to have the depth of field preview selected automatically while shooting raw video?  Right now I'm pushing the live view button to start recording, then I press and hold the depth of field preview button until I'm done with the shot.  It's a pain, but that's what I have to do to if I don't want to shoot wide open.  Is there a work around, or do I just have to adapt my Nikon lenses and use their manual aperture?

Thanks.

Brian@202020

Quote from: JulianH on June 02, 2013, 01:44:28 AM
Probably it would fit in the 50D if it does in the 60D. But they are designed for 1080p video. They don't produce nice results in 720P for example, so most probably the 50D's raw resolution(s) will be trouble.

This is true, they are designed for 1080p, all except the one for the Nikon D800 anyway. That one is recommended for both 1080p and 720p. It would still be good to know if one will fit and even better if someone could test it.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 02, 2013, 03:39:13 AM
On a cleaned Komputerbay 64GB card, I did a fresh install of ML and then the newest 50D raw build (5/28) - just to be sure I wasn't introducing any problems with cards that had been used for raw in my 5DMiii.

Still - I don't get write rates anything like what Julian and others seem to be achieving.  Even 1280x720  writes at about 35-40 Mb/s and I start dropping frames after about 400 or so.  Same result whether or not I turn on Hacked mode, I have selected small jpg for still image size, turned off Global Draw.... still I seem to be missing something.   
I'll keep trying and reading the forum and other resources to learn - but I'll appreciate any tips about other things to test or try.

Thanks

Man sorry your having that much problems with your 50D Since we have the same CF cards (KomputerBay 64GB) here is what I did to get it running good enough but not perfect first of all don't use the may 28th build yet it's not final. 

Step 1:  Download my complete folder hack here:  http://limelinx.com/ca42c  (everything is included for hack in folder) 
Step 2:  Format your KomputerBay card in camera ( should be in first setting option on the 50D Menu ) Takes just a couple seconds
Step 3:  Unzip folder from download link and drag all files to your CF card directory (Leave everything else intact just copy and paste. 
Step 4:  Insert card back in camera go to your firmware update which should be the Third option on your 50D (click on Firmware and update let magic lantern do it's thing should say Success in green should know about this process since your hack your camera already. 

Step 5:  Global Draw off, The Hack Mode I still can't find that myself but I heard it should be on, than go through your regular routine Raw rec on, FPS Override set to 24FPS and I think that should be it. 

One last thing shoot two continuous shots before you really shoot cause for some reason the first two are like a warm up enjoy  8)
If your still having trouble let me know I'll here to help. 

GOD Bless

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 02, 2013, 03:39:13 AM

Thanks

You selected Small JPG myself I'm using Large JPG.  Try to set it on Large JPG which is the first one & put Raw off ( --- )

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: pinger007 on June 02, 2013, 03:41:35 AM
Assuming you have prores codecs installed on your computer, then it's just a matter of exporting your comp as a quicktime.  In the quicktime options, there's an option for you to select a format:  prores, animation, etc.  I prefer the Avid DNxHD codec personally.  :)

It only has Quicktime Uncompress 10bit 422, I'm looking for Quicktime 4444 it's no where to be found. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: pinger007 on June 02, 2013, 03:48:25 AM
Is there a way to have the depth of field preview selected automatically while shooting raw video?  Right now I'm pushing the live view button to start recording, then I press and hold the depth of field preview button until I'm done with the shot.  It's a pain, but that's what I have to do to if I don't want to shoot wide open.  Is there a work around, or do I just have to adapt my Nikon lenses and use their manual aperture?

Thanks.

Manual lenses all the way Nikkor, Nikons are real filmic and sharp @ the same time I have a pair.  Also your using the May 28 build right use this build instead it's more stable http://limelinx.com/ca42c Gregory is ironing out all the glitches, so glad that his taking time to work on it. 

pinger007

That's right.  I'm using the May 28th build right now.  What does the new build offer over the old build?  Will the electronic aperture on the ef lenses engage during the live view shooting?

Also, what adapters do you recommend for Nikon glass?  I need something that offers a secure fit (I use a follow focus and can't have any shifting going on).  I also don't want a permanent solution since I still use my Nikons for my family of GH2s.  :)  Finally, will I need an adapter for each nikkor I own (for convenience), or will one adapter be enough?

Roman

I was reading something the other day, about older manual lenses giving lower contrast than those designed for DSLRs - as the sensor is more reflective than film is, you get reflections going back up and down the lense reflecting off the elements back to the sensor again.

Where as lenses designed for digital cameras have elements designed to reduce this reflection.

In saying this, previously I've been an advocate of using kit lenses for filming - as I've not been able to tell the difference, and usually lose out on image stabilisation etc.

However with raw on 50D, the difference between my Samyang 35mm and the kit lenses is like night and day. Good glass is finally worth while for video, rather than having the image put though a blender before ending up on the memory card.

HHL

Seems like someone was asking about highlight recovery.  Make no mistake people, ....this is RAW.  If you are wondering about highlight recovery, wonder no more.  YES...this is out of focus.  I was in a hurry.  The only purpose of posting these two images is to help anyone wondering about highlight recovery.  Enjoy.  Thanks Magic Lantern!!!  :) 

Roman

Quote from: pinger007 on June 02, 2013, 03:48:25 AM
Is there a way to have the depth of field preview selected automatically while shooting raw video? 

I believe under one of the ML menus there is a 'sticky DOF preview' button - so you can press the button and it holds it down until you press it again. I havent tried it on the 50D yet, but have just been re-reading the ML user guide.

primemultimedia

How easy is it to change the record start button? At the moment with d.o.f. sticky on the record button doesn't work, for me at least.

pinger007

I never saw a dof sticky option in the menus...  I'll give it another look once my battery charges.  Hopefully I can find it and that it works.  On another note, the Raw hack really chews up the batteries...  I've got another two and a battery grip on order.  :P