50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artiswar

I hate to post a noob-y question but I haven't found a definite answer.

1. When I record to my Komputerbay cards, the camera stops after 4gbs is reached. How does one enable spanning, even on FAT32?

2. I too get the "This ain't a raw LV rec File" error when using the raw2dng app. Whats the work around on OSX?

JulianH

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 01, 2013, 10:07:19 PM
Found it yes it has CPU Usage and I saw the Shutter Count 18K.  I couldn't find global draw.. What does that mean "Scripts Dir Missing" it shows up every time I boot ML.
Just make a new (empty) folder in the ML folder called 'scripts' and that will be fixed :)
Global draw is on the 2nd menu on the left, top option. Probably best to keep it turned off while recording raw for now.

@artiswar: do you use the latest build? (check first post). What if you try lower resolutions, does it span? It might just run out of buffer at 4GB or something...

artiswar

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 10:13:51 PM
Just make a new (empty) folder in the ML folder called 'scripts' and that will be fixed :)
Global draw is on the 2nd menu on the left, top option. Probably best to keep it turned off while recording raw for now.

@artiswar: do you use the latest build? (check first post). What if you try lower resolutions, does it span? It might just run out of buffer at 4GB or something...

Latest build installed. I do receive the "Scripts dir missing" error at boot. When it reaches just under 4gb it stops, even at lower resolutions. Perhaps a good format would help.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 10:13:51 PM

So Julian your saying not to use Gregory's lastest build yet.  Did you revert back to the build from the 1st page? it's more stable right, gonna try in a couple minutes letting my battery charge.  Tell you the truth I think I might need to invest on a battery grip, and whole bunch of batteries... think mines gave me around 30 - 35 minutes continuously staying on.  It's not bad but on a real shoot gonna need about 3 extras.  Thanks for the tip about Global draw.  One last question even when I put the 24fps override it still spits out 30fps not sure what I'm doing wrong here.  Every time I load it in After Affects it shows as 30fps 

goldenchild9to5

Yeah my global draw setting what On.  That's why all those overlays were displaying on my screen that's probably why I coudn't record for longer time. 

dacssfreak

When you load the footage into after effects, click right on" interpret footage" and then "Main ...". In the window set the assumed framerate to 24 or 23,976 depending on which framerate you actually shot in camera

JulianH

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 01, 2013, 10:34:00 PM
So Julian your saying not to use Gregory's lastest build yet.  Did you revert back to the build from the 1st page? it's more stable right, gonna try in a couple minutes letting my battery charge.  Tell you the truth I think I might need to invest on a battery grip, and whole bunch of batteries... think mines gave me around 30 - 35 minutes continuously staying on.  It's not bad but on a real shoot gonna need about 3 extras.  Thanks for the tip about Global draw.  One last question even when I put the 24fps override it still spits out 30fps not sure what I'm doing wrong here.  Every time I load it in After Affects it shows as 30fps
Gregory's build is added to the first post by Andy600. It's the best built I've used and it's stable for me as long as I don't do anything weird/experimental (playing back a file shot in 5x zoom mode makes the camera crash). Just recording raw works like a charm.

I don't know what you are doing wrong with your FPS override, but you are doing something wrong, it works fine here. Press the func. button when the menu item is selected for more options and set it to exact fps.

artiswar

Okay, successfully recorded at 5gb file on my third go. First time around I got to around 1110 frames when the buffer filled. Now recording stopped at 5gbs with a frame skip. I'm assuming this is because I'm using the highest resolution. The buffer just seems rather inconsistent to me.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 10:48:14 PM
Gregory's build is added to the first post by Andy600. It's the best built I've used and it's stable for me as long as I don't do anything weird/experimental (playing back a file shot in 5x zoom mode makes the camera crash). Just recording raw works like a charm.

I don't know what you are doing wrong with your FPS override, but you are doing something wrong, it works fine here. Press the func. button when the menu item is selected for more options and set it to exact fps.

Just got my KomputerBay 64GB card  ;D now it's time to put this baby to the test.  Gonna download from front page.  Any special formatting for the CF card, or just plain in camera formatting?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on June 01, 2013, 10:58:04 PM
Okay, successfully recorded at 5gb file on my third go. First time around I got to around 1110 frames when the buffer filled. Now recording stopped at 5gbs with a frame skip. I'm assuming this is because I'm using the highest resolution. The buffer just seems rather inconsistent to me.

Nice..

JulianH

Quote from: artiswar on June 01, 2013, 10:58:04 PM
What card and what exact resolution? The first clip recorded in raw, when you just turn on the camera and load the raw module, for me it usually fills the buffer faster. Just try a few consecutive runs and you'll get more stable results.

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 01, 2013, 11:10:05 PM
Just got my KomputerBay 64GB card  ;D now it's time to put this baby to the test.  Gonna download from front page.  Any special formatting for the CF card, or just plain in camera formatting?
Start with plain format, works for me. The card should be plenty fast for the 50D. Good luck!

pinger007

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 01, 2013, 10:34:00 PM

After Effects is showing 30fps because that's what the default After Effects preferences are when importing an image sequence.  You need to go into preferences under the "edit" tab to change this setting to your desired default.  On the other hand, you can always right click on the image sequence in the project window after you've imported it, and select "interpret".  A new window will open that allows you to change the fps.

Hope this helps.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: pinger007 on June 01, 2013, 11:38:03 PM
After Effects is showing 30fps because that's what the default After Effects preferences are when importing an image sequence.  You need to go into preferences under the "edit" tab to change this setting to your desired default.  On the other hand, you can always right click on the image sequence in the project window after you've imported it, and select "interpret".  A new window will open that allows you to change the fps.

Hope this helps.

Thank you soo much great explanation of what's really going on.  I'm a noob to After Effects, more of a Premiere Pro avid.   

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 11:27:22 PM
What card and what exact resolution? The first clip recorded in raw, when you just turn on the camera and load the raw module, for me it usually fills the buffer faster. Just try a few consecutive runs and you'll get more stable results.
Start with plain format, works for me. The card should be plenty fast for the 50D. Good luck!

No problem gonna do a plain in camera format.. 

JulianH

Can you guys do some speed tests like I did? Curious to see if 1000X cards work faster than my 90MB/s.
Below I quote my previous results. Just ran some tests again, results vary sometimes... added them.

Just shoot at those resolutions a few times till the buffer fills. Make sure you're in 24 fps (it blinks on the screen if it works: 24 fps override), global draw off and hacked mode on (not sure if this makes a big difference but I used it).

Resolution test with GregoryOfManhattan's build, using Hacked mode.
Sandisk 32GB 90MB/s CF

3:2 @ 1592x1062 ~ 135 frames ~ 200 frames
5:3 @ 1952x956 ~ 270 frames ~ 280 frames
16:9 @ 1592x 896 ~ 480 frames ~ 440 frames
1.85:1 @ 1592x860 ~ 850 frames ~ 950 frames max.
2:1 @ 1592x796 - No skipping!

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 11:44:57 PM
Can you guys do some speed tests like I did? Curious to see if 1000X cards work faster than my 90MB/s.
Below I quote my previous results. Just ran some tests again, results vary sometimes... added them.

Just shoot at those resolutions a few times till the buffer fills. Make sure you're in 24 fps (it blinks on the screen if it works: 24 fps override), global draw off and hacked mode on (not sure if this makes a big difference but I used it).

Will test in another 30 minutes battery almost finish charging.  I'll post all results.. res 1592x1062 is crop mode right? so new to all of this. 

artiswar

I'm seeing the same numbers essentially. I skipped 2:1 and went for 2.20:1, though. 5 and 10 gb clips recorded successfully.

goldenchild9to5

Where do you find the hacked mode? can't see it.

pinger007

Might be a bit off-topic, but has a solution for the pink colorcast been found?

Thanks.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

ashtrai

Is the Lexar 1000x overkill for the 50D? I'm thinking about getting the Komputerbay 32GB/64GB card but unsure about the cards not functioning after a while.

hijodeibn

Quote from: JulianH on May 29, 2013, 12:50:49 AM
Fixed the frame skipping on my previous anamorphic video. The image sequences were imported as 25 fps and my project was 24 fps. Simple as that. Re-uploaded the correct file:

Julian, by the way, what is the wider lens that you can use with the Kowa B&H 2x anamorphic before it vignettes?.......

artiswar

Quote from: ashtrai on June 02, 2013, 12:22:24 AM
Is the Lexar 1000x overkill for the 50D? I'm thinking about getting the Komputerbay 32GB/64GB card but unsure about the cards not functioning after a while.

This question will be up in the air for a while.

Juilan, any idea why I would be getting that "aint a LV raw file" with something around 3gbs?

1%

Footer is missing... check with a hex editor for RAWM at the end.

Probably 1000x cards will be overkill.. look up the max supported UDMA mode and see.

johansugarev

I am about to buy a CF card tomorrow for my new 50D. Help me choose between Komputerbay 64gb1000x or 128gb600x. Are there any issues with running ML on a 128gb card? Is 600x enough? I think the 50D is UDMA6 compatible, so is there going to be any benefit from 1000x card?

HHL

Okie dokie.  No images worth sharing at this time, but here's an update and some questions.

1.  Battery drain:  I'm burning through a battery in mere minutes.  I'll bet this means something....and probably not good.  (Not that it's a problem for everyone else, or that they should worry....just likely a flag that I did something wrong in the install.

2.  It's showing on the camera as 29.97 fps.  I'm aware that RAW mode is not video mode, two different things.  Just wondering. 

3.  I'm only getting 145 frames.

Also, I'll read through this to see where the frame aspect ratio is, because I haven't found it in my adventures so far.  I'll read through the thread, someone else has likely asked....