50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: buildbyflying on June 01, 2013, 10:59:45 AM
I'm testing now. I have some questions:
1. To enable recording, I press live view from the ML menu, then the set button in the back dial? I was able to record video from the live view button itself and I'm a little confused.
2. I'm only given 1080p/3-fps as an option from movie recording mode... the raw shows 0x0; as an aside I'm getting about 70 frames on a 400x Transcend card.

Any suggestions?

JulianH is making a tutorial video for beginners should be up soon.

1%

Heh, I approve but does a1ex approve. You guys can make a paypal somewhere and put money in it then just drop ship me a 50D (body only, maybe power adapter + medium range CF (I only have 2x32gb from my XTI)

JulianH

Quote from: 1% on June 01, 2013, 03:12:46 PM
Heh, I approve but does a1ex approve. You guys can make a paypal somewhere and put money in it then just drop ship me a 50D (body only, maybe power adapter + medium range CF (I only have 2x32gb from my XTI)
I'm on a 50D hunt, I'm willing to buy one and ship it to you (from the Netherlands, you're in the US I heard? have to find out how that works with tax.. can ship as gift + low value I suppose). Then after that is done it would be nice if people could pay me some money back.

AC adapter is harder to find I think. I'll try to find a 50D this weekend, keep you guys posted.

primemultimedia

Hi all,

Fantastic work so far, big thanks to all involved. I own a 550D and my GF owns a 50D. I've been doing some testing on both and so far results and stability have been good even using very early builds. I am going to buy a faster CF card to test since she only has 300x CF cards (and I have 95m/s sony card to test on my 550). I work at a camera shop and I have access to cheap prices on Promaster 1000x 150 MB/s cards (I'm in Australia) so I'm lucky there.

I'll hopefully have time this week to get out and shoot some test shots that aren't just of the inside of my house. Any requests for specific shots or tests?

Also +1 for donating to get 1% a 50D.

I was just thinking the same as you Julian (at the same time lol) my thought was is there anyone that lives close to one of the devs that wouldn't mind lending their body for a while? That is, if it's ok with them :)

1%

No tax for me, no tariffs here, esp on personal packages.

Yep, I'm in the US... also good for only 1 person to have my address. Crappy china adapter would work, doesn't need to be original canon. If not I'll charge the battery, dunno how long it lasts shooting raw. Was OK on 600D/6D.. but then you get stuck with a dead battery wanting to test something.

JulianH

Quote from: 1% on June 01, 2013, 03:28:29 PM
No tax for me, no tariffs here, esp on personal packages.

Yep, I'm in the US... also good for only 1 person to have my address. Crappy china adapter would work, doesn't need to be original canon. If not I'll charge the battery, dunno how long it lasts shooting raw. Was OK on 600D/6D.. but then you get stuck with a dead battery wanting to test something.
I'm going to pick up a 50D + Battery grip + china battery now! Will send you a PM later. Could probably ship it today.

I'm totally ok on investing some money on it but would like to get some funds back from the other peeps here who would like to invest. So lets see how we work that out - but that will be my problem :)

primemultimedia

50D battery is very close to 6D/5D definitely better than 600D

primemultimedia

A/C adapter can be had for  like $16 on ebay. Whoever buys one between 1% and Julian PM me your paypal and I'll give you the money for it, plus donation towards body :D

HHL

First post in this great community.

I'm very happy to join the party.  I only regret that I don't have much time these days.  I'll be a weekend only poster/tester, but I'm thrilled to get to share the excitement that Magic Lantern has brought to indie's everywhere.  Cheers!

Julian H, keep us up to date on how/where to support for the camera you are sending to 1%.  20 bucks in the least I can do to see if we can get even more firepower from the 50D.

I'm staring at 2 boxes that just arrived.  1 has a 50d, the other has a Komp 100x card.  Time to read some ML guides, huh?  :)

I'll share my results when they are available.  Let's have some fun!!!!

JulianH

50D (46K clicks)
BG-E2 grip + AA battery tray
1x original battery
1x fake battery
All cables/charger included.
4GB mem card (not so fast but better than nothing)

Just picked this kit up for 350 euro's. My plan is to send this to 1% - Shipping will be 24,30 euro's or 34,30 (if over 2 kg).

I will try to set up a paypal donation page so people who want to donate can pay me back.
Total about $485 - I'll donate the first $50 so about $435 would be welcome... I will send the camera ASAP (before taking donations) and take the financial risk.

Before proceeding I'll go over the details with 1%. If it doesn't work out, no problem, then I have a back-up 50D ;)

Roman

Awesome stuff! Yep I'll put in some $$$ when you can confirm paypal etc.

I went out today and took some video @720p 30fps without issue... which is great, my TV only goes to 720p resolution so I've not got a burning desire for anything bigger than that, haha. 30fps is a lot more useful to me, so I was pretty happy it could do that without fuss.

I'm just processing all of the files in Lightroom now, but one thing I've noticed is it seems to be a bit of a mission getting the green/magenta balance on the white balance correct. All said and done though, it looks amazing!

Here's a frame from one of the shots, excuse the colours etc just a quick mash around to get something out the door:

http://iforce.co.nz/i/vduu0y4z.i3f.tif

Raw video or not I'm really happy with my 50D purchase...
Got it from a guy who'd babied it since new with 18k shutter actuations, guard on the screen, genuine canon battery grip, 4 batteries, and three (slow) memory cards for $509NZD (about $400 USD) Which is a crazy good deal for what you get.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 03:30:41 PM
I'm going to pick up a 50D + Battery grip + china battery now! Will send you a PM later. Could probably ship it today.

I'm totally ok on investing some money on it but would like to get some funds back from the other peeps here who would like to invest. So lets see how we work that out - but that will be my problem :)

Julian thank you for taking the initiative to buy 1% a 50D, Everybody all Donations to @JulianH now we getting the ball really rolling.  Let us know how you wanna receive payments.  Got one question does your 50D heat-up when shooting raw?  Did some preliminary test late last night with my slow card 30mb/s after about 10 - 15mins the 50D body gets real warm temperature hovers around 55 degrees from the 39 degrees @ start-up.  Does anybody experience the same thing, or is that normal. 

JulianH

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 01, 2013, 04:27:23 PM
Julian thank you for taking the initiative to buy 1% a 50D, Everybody all Donations to @JulianH now we getting the ball really rolling.  Let us know how you wanna receive payments.  Got one question does your 50D heat-up when shooting raw?  Did some preliminary test late last night with my slow card 30mb/s after about 10 - 15mins the 50D body gets real warm temperature hovers around 55 degrees from the 39 degrees @ start-up.  Does anybody experience the same thing, or is that normal.
I'll test it but 55C shouldn't be a problem something to be worried about I think. It's normal the camera gets warmer when live view is on because the sensor is powered all the time. Try if you see any difference if you just leave live view on without recording raw - or record h264.

ashtrai

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 04:23:18 PM

50D (46K clicks)
1x original battery
1x fake battery

Just picked this kit up for 350 euro's. My plan is to send this to 1% - Shipping will be 24,30 euro's or 34,30 (if over 2 kg).

I will try to set up a paypal donation page so people who want to donate can pay me back.
Total about $485 - I'll donate the first $50 so about $435 would be welcome... I will send the camera ASAP (before taking donations) and take the financial risk.

Before proceeding I'll go over the details with 1%. If it doesn't work out, no problem, then I have a back-up 50D ;)

Great initiative Julian! I will be contributing to the donations as well.

1%

Thanks. This is awesome.. will email when I get on the other PC.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 04:29:49 PM
I'll test it but 55C shouldn't be a problem something to be worried about I think. It's normal the camera gets warmer when live view is on because the sensor is powered all the time. Try if you see any difference if you just leave live view on without recording raw - or record h264.

Great idea gonna test today.. let me know your 50D's Temp readings after 15-20 mins of running live view. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 04:23:18 PM

50D (46K clicks)
1x original battery
1x fake battery

Great finding Julian that's a great price.. was that on ebay?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Roman on June 01, 2013, 04:24:54 PM
Awesome stuff! Yep I'll put in some $$$ when you can confirm paypal etc.

I went out today and took some video @720p 30fps without issue... which is great, my TV only goes to 720p resolution so I've not got a burning desire for anything bigger than that, haha. 30fps is a lot more useful to me, so I was pretty happy it could do that without fuss.

I'm just processing all of the files in Lightroom now, but one thing I've noticed is it seems to be a bit of a mission getting the green/magenta balance on the white balance correct. All said and done though, it looks amazing!

Here's a frame from one of the shots, excuse the colours etc just a quick mash around to get something out the door:

http://iforce.co.nz/i/vduu0y4z.i3f.tif

Raw video or not I'm really happy with my 50D purchase...
Got it from a guy who'd babied it since new with 18k shutter actuations, guard on the screen, genuine canon battery grip, 4 batteries, and three (slow) memory cards for $509NZD (about $400 USD) Which is a crazy good deal for what you get.

Looking good.. Yeah 720p should be good enough & also for quick slowmo's.  Yeah let's all donate to @JulianH he just got the 50D body for 1%

JulianH

I'll let you guys know about the donations when everything is set and talked about. Don't worry about it for now.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 04:59:08 PM
www.marktplaats.nl - the Dutch eBay :)

When I'm buying another 50D body I'm gonna have to contact you.  Do they ship to the US?

JulianH

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 01, 2013, 05:03:57 PM
When I'm buying another 50D body I'm gonna have to contact you.  Do they ship to the US?
They don't have buyer protection like eBay, it's really a Dutch thing where people just put stuff up, have a mail or phone conversation and pick up the stuff on location. I also bought a lot of stuff by just paying and hoping it would arrive (never had problems) but that is a risk.
Wouldn't advise this route if you are in the US.

buildbyflying

Count me in as well. I'm amazed at how quickly these things are progressing.
I was able to work around the menu a bit, (and I'm looking forward to a 50D starter video) though I'm still having some difficulties with menu options.
I've got several raw files at about 160mb each and a pair of mov files... though I'm not entirely sure how I got one or the other.
Right now I just can't figure out how you are getting the aspect ratio changes... I'm not getting any options. I get one option out of raw and in the movie mode. Also, frame rates are 30p and 2.something-or-another.
Anyway, looking forward to seeing where this is going.

JulianH

@buildbyflying: press the joystick or the func. button on the menu items for FPS and raw video to change the settings!

methodikalgee

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on June 01, 2013, 10:06:14 AM
Nice... Thanks for sharing great job.  At what res did you shoot on?  I see a lot of frame drops, and a couple pink frames.  What card did you use to shoot?

Shot on a Delkin 32gb 1000x UDMA 7 CF Card.I'm only getting 40mb/s write, but it says it goes up to 80mb/s. I will try a build by GregoryinManhattan today to see if that write speed goes up.

Shot at 1592x720 and upscaled to 1920x1080