50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregoryOfManhattan

necronomfive, menoc, JulianH - thanks for trying the 50D exFat formatting card in computer and make-bootable.
seems clear that it does not work.

i spoke with komputerbay today to see if they had additional information on partition alignment on FAT32.
they did not have immediate information on that.
they had an ML team on site yesterday (someone named Nathan and friends).
they seem to think that one user with a 50D was able to get exFat to work - this is why i asked here.
exFat gives another 20MB/s over FAT32

they suggested formatting a 64GB into 2 32GB partitions to see if that helps the speed.

they also tell me to be sure to "clear your buffers" on the camera - i do not know what this means in practice.

JulianH

Cool to hear Komputerbay is helping with this. Not surprising though, they must have doubled their profits over the past few weeks ;)

@GregoryOfManhattan: I emailed you the pics of the black bars in the DNG's.

The only cases I get black pixels are:

Full sensor mode
1592x1062 - 2 black pixels left, 4 pixels on top
1592x lower height - 2 black pixels left

No black pixels in crop mode

Didn't try _all_ the variations, but I suspect it only has to do with the boundaries, so for example 1440x720 (full sensor) can't be affected anyway?

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: a1ex on May 31, 2013, 12:47:50 PM
Set the skip offsets to 0, set 1024 for black level, then check the black border sizes in Paint (count the pixels). That's it.

important result of tests.
zoom mode color cast is not due to black edges and incorrect values in the raw_update_params() function.
JulianH and I have both produced zoom mode dng, examined them and found no black borders.
(the values in raw_update_parameters are incorrect but not in a way that leaves any black borders on zoom'ed  raw)
also, i did not modify code to lock the black_level to 1024 - let me know if i should have done so.

could something else used in the autodetect_black_level function be inaccurate in zoom mode?

can anyone summarize technically what happens in ML zoom x5 mode for live view recording - there is a lot of code to read through from modules/lv_rec modules/raw_rec and src/raw.c

are other cameras experiencing this issue with recent builds?

methodikalgee

I just got a 50D and a Delkin Devices 32GB UDMA 7 card. I've installed ML and replaced the autoexe.bin w/ the one from this thread (2nd post). I've also added the MODULES folder into the ML Directory. When I start the camera up, I get a "scripts dir missing" message. It allows me to load the modules and start shooting RAW but it stops within the first 2-5 seconds. 

Can anyone help troubleshoot the problem?

dhallowell19

I followed the same steps and had the same experience.  GregoryofManhatten was good enough to offer to send me an updated build through email - and that helped some (write rates more like 35Mb/s versus the 20 or so with those first files) - still I'm trying to figure out why a card that operates at 80-90Mb/s doing raw in my 5Dmiii is so much slower so-far in the 50D. 
Please post any progress and I'll do the same....

Best regards

GregoryOfManhattan

welcome methodikalgee,
please Read the "RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide and FAQ -- READ FIRST" http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

builds are posted to the forum now.

dhallowell19 are you using separate clean cards for each camera? is the 5D3 exFat?

1%

Quotestill I'm trying to figure out why a card that operates at 80-90Mb/s doing raw in my 5Dmiii

Lower UDMA mode supported. Shame if exfat isn't supported... supposedly the spanning works now on 5D2 and this camera looks to be what 6D is to 5D3.. cut down version. So probably no 720P60 (5DII doesn't have this?)

I had issues with FPS override creating slightly different borders on 6D... you have FPS override on all the time.

I guess would have to take a look. We'll see what happens with the donations. I'd prefer a camera to money honestly. btw dumper in debug.c is set for digic V addresses.. noticed this from 550D thread.

artiswar

Quote from: 1% on June 01, 2013, 02:50:29 AM
Lower UDMA mode supported. Shame if exfat isn't supported... supposedly the spanning works now on 5D2 and this camera looks to be what 6D is to 5D3.. cut down version. So probably no 720P60 (5DII doesn't have this?)

I had issues with FPS override creating slightly different borders on 6D... you have FPS override on all the time.

I guess would have to take a look. We'll see what happens with the donations. I'd prefer a camera to money honestly. btw dumper in debug.c is set for digic V addresses.. noticed this from 550D thread.

So then the MKII supports exFAT? I'm interested to know hiw the user Gregory mentioned got exFAT to work.

Does joining the spanned files in Terminal into a single .raw play nicely with raw2dng?

1%

MKII is supposed to not support exfat, thats what I heard but obv, can't test. Firmware would tell for sure or if its disabled.

Joining the files in terminal is supposed to work.

artiswar

Quote from: 1% on June 01, 2013, 03:06:12 AM
MKII is supposed to not support exfat, thats what I heard but obv, can't test. Firmware would tell for sure or if its disabled.

Joining the files in terminal is supposed to work.

Thank you. Cards and body in hand finally. No glass yet. I'm gonna play with some exFAT formatting and spanning this evening.

menoc

Quote from: artiswar on May 31, 2013, 08:39:58 PM
What I'm most interested in at this point is getting spanning to work. I'm more than satisfied with the images produced thus far. Just want to be able to roll a long clip.

I think that's a good idea. It will speak very well for the hack and will put it on a different level . . .

menoc

Quote from: KahL on May 31, 2013, 08:56:27 PM
My latest test, guys.
This shows off the latest 50D build with the raw, untouched images and fully graded images. Also a small comparison between Canon h.264 video and RAW image frames.

BTW, I'm in to donate as well!

Nice! Question:  Did you use a profile? Did you add grain in ACR?, or some other means?

artiswar

Quote from: menoc on June 01, 2013, 03:53:27 AM
I think that's a good idea. It will speak very well for the hack and will put it on a different level . . .

Precisely. I have a script waiting to be shot and Zeiss glass in route. Even if it requires a stint in terminal to get the spanned clips out, that'll due.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on June 01, 2013, 03:10:19 AM
Thank you. Cards and body in hand finally. No glass yet. I'm gonna play with some exFAT formatting and spanning this evening.

Congrats..

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: artiswar on June 01, 2013, 04:15:18 AM
Precisely. I have a script waiting to be shot and Zeiss glass in route. Even if it requires a stint in terminal to get the spanned clips out, that'll due.

Nice.. Zeiss is the way to go..

CaptainOfObvious

Hopefully we can get some method of file spanning to work, I hope it's something that can be done otherwise you only get about a minute of stable maximum-res 50D RAW right?

By the way I'm totally down to donate aswell, we have people contributing their time here for something that only benefits us and I have no problem in helping out.

methodikalgee

Just wanted to share this test video w/ you guys.  Don't judge me on the subject matter, or the non stabilized hand held shots, or the choice of music, or the different white balances in each shot LoL

Anyway, I don't know how good YouTube is w/ compression but it looks pretty close to my original file if you ask me. (Will update w/ a vimeo link as soon as it's available.)

goldenchild9to5

Guy's I have a question does the 50D warm-up when using the hack? my temp reading started at 39 degrees and after about 10 minutes it went up to 55 degree.  I have a 30mb/s card just not enough to shoot Raw only getting 51 frames..  today I'm getting my new card  8)

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: methodikalgee on June 01, 2013, 09:06:45 AM
Just wanted to share this test video w/ you guys.  Don't judge me on the subject matter, or the non stabilized hand held shots, or the choice of music, or the different white balances in each shot LoL

Anyway, I don't know how good YouTube is w/ compression but it looks pretty close to my original file if you ask me. (Will update w/ a vimeo link as soon as it's available.)

Nice... Thanks for sharing great job.  At what res did you shoot on?  I see a lot of frame drops, and a couple pink frames.  What card did you use to shoot?

buildbyflying

I'm testing now. I have some questions:
1. To enable recording, I press live view from the ML menu, then the set button in the back dial? I was able to record video from the live view button itself and I'm a little confused.
2. I'm only given 1080p/3-fps as an option from movie recording mode... the raw shows 0x0; as an aside I'm getting about 70 frames on a 400x Transcend card.

Any suggestions?

rommex

JulianH

I'm doing a 'shoot raw on your 50D' video tutorial for first time ML users. This should answer most questions. Hope to have it online in a few hours.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 01:26:11 PM
I'm doing a 'shoot raw on your 50D' video tutorial for first time ML users. This should answer most questions. Hope to have it online in a few hours.

Thanks you Julian  :)

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on June 01, 2013, 01:26:11 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about a tutorial is really needed including with settings .  Does your camera warm-up a bit when recording Raw?  Mine does warm-up not overly hot but it get's warm. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: rommex on June 01, 2013, 11:06:20 AM
I'm in for $10 for 1% too

Great... still waiting on 1% to approve.