50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KahL

My latest test, guys.
This shows off the latest 50D build with the raw, untouched images and fully graded images. Also a small comparison between Canon h.264 video and RAW image frames.

BTW, I'm in to donate as well!

necronomfive

Quote from: CFP on May 31, 2013, 08:25:51 PM
And since 1% said that there likely won't be a way to increase it, I would simply stop dreaming and be happy with what we already have :D

Only unhappy guys have the ambition to push boundaries.  8)

When my KomputerBay card arrives hopefully tomorrow, I'm all set for testing and hacking.

hammermina

@ kahl

wonderful colors looks like the seventies are back..

necronomfive

Quote from: KahL on May 31, 2013, 08:56:27 PM
My latest test, guys.
This shows off the latest 50D build with the raw, untouched images and fully graded images. Also a small comparison between Canon h.264 video and RAW image frames.

https://vimeo.com/67415324

BTW, I'm in to donate as well!

I really like that grainy 16mm look. And detail is quite good, leaps and bounds above the H264 video image. I think that from a price<>image quality point, the 50D is by far the best alternative, and a serious threat to the upcoming BMPCC.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: hijodeibn on May 31, 2013, 07:59:26 PM
I totally agree.....1% please give us your paypal account......and please everybody give some money to 1%......he is doing an incredible work for all of us....

Great to know your for it..

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: muddmanrich on May 31, 2013, 08:03:57 PM
Count me in for $20. It's the least i can do.

Great to know your for it.. that's good enough.

goldenchild9to5

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 31, 2013, 08:22:59 PM
Will give it a try!

Also will upload dngs with black bars as soon as I get home.

@GoldenChild: put the camera on jpg to maximize buffer. Turn on exposure simulation in live view menu. Good luck, enjoy and share your footage.

Considering collecting money for devs to buy bodies: Andy and me are looking into that.

Great!!! Thanks for the info JulianH.  Yeah collecting for 1% would be great. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: pbr on May 31, 2013, 08:23:43 PM
I'm in for $20.

(eagerly awaiting my 50d!)

Great to know your for it.. $20 would be perfect.

JulianH

Quote from: necronomfive on May 31, 2013, 09:17:58 PM
I think that from a price<>image quality point, the 50D is by far the best alternative, and a serious threat to the upcoming BMPCC.
I have the BlackMagic Pocket on preorder, since the day it was announced. Seriously thinking about cancelling it so yes, that might be the case ;)

GregoryOfManhattan

any word on exFat on 50D?
i've used osx diskutil to format, but
sh contrib/make-bootable/make-bootable.sh - doesn't work for me.

please let me know if anyone has run exFat on50D.

tonkabike

Count me in for 20.00 for 1%

JulianH

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on May 31, 2013, 09:55:41 PM
any word on exFat on 50D?
i've used osx diskutil to format, but
sh contrib/make-bootable/make-bootable.sh - doesn't work for me.

please let me know if anyone has run exFat on50D.
Emptying my card and going to try it right now.

rue

No success w/ exFat: Tried exFAT on a 8GB SanDisk using Win7 Disk Manager for low level reformat and EOScard to set the boot flag -> Camera complains that the card is either unformatted or not formatted with the camera...

menoc

Quote from: 1% on May 31, 2013, 10:41:02 AM
Has nothing to do with hardware. Check if exfat strings exist in the FW. Either support for the FS is in there or not.

Exfat released in 2009... 50D first release in 2008.. latest 50D firmware released in 2012 and should share the same code base as other cameras. So 50/50.

If your skips are wrong either you'll get darkened/green shadows or pink image. Every mode is slightly different just take a silent pic with 0 skips and count the pixels.

For raw photo.. the skips are in the meta data of the cr2 files... open with photoME. You have to get the right state for it to grab the raw buffer... its probably the 5d2 state.

You should be able to move  the zoom window around.. making it bigger probably not. Otherwise they would have done a full height -> ram and not bothered. They seem to like big image in ram and then lots of transforms to it to get H264/YUV/etc.

I was under the impression that exFat was a hardware issue, apparently not . .  . Haven't read all the posts yet but, has anyone gotten exFat to work on the 50D yet?

JulianH

@GregoryOfManhattan: want me to try as well or is the info from rue enough? I'm on Win7 too.

Quote from: rue on May 31, 2013, 10:32:08 PM
No success w/ exFat: Tried exFAT on a 8GB SanDisk using Win7 Disk Manager for low level reformat and EOScard to set the boot flag -> Camera complains that the card is either unformatted or not formatted with the camera...

necronomfive

Also tried it (with a POS 512MB Kingston CF card), no success!  :(

menoc

Quote from: JulianH on May 31, 2013, 12:14:26 PM
I dont think its possible to set the black level in acr. Ill give raw therapy a try or should i use something else?

You can set the black level in ML menus . . . I think . .

menoc

Quote from: necronomfive on May 31, 2013, 10:43:21 PM
Also tried it (with a POS 512MB Kingston CF card), no success!  :(

Just tried exFat with my card, the camera does not recognize it.

CFP

Are you sure you made it bootable with EOScard? Just formating doesn't work!

If exFat really doesn't work in the 50D, that's sad. Then you'll have to wait until the spanning is optimized.

John-Jo

Quote from: Roman on May 28, 2013, 07:43:35 AM
Because the HDMI output goes through all of the compression etc as a normal recorded video file, and is 8 bit.

Where as recording to the cf card is 14 bit raw images at a fairly hefty bitrate.

I'm about an hour away from owning a 50D with a battery grip and 4 batteries, only challenge now will be finding a place that sells fast CF cards for less than a billion dollars that ships to New Zealand. :(

Let me know if you find decent price on CF card to NZ. I'm in the same boat.... except I will be waiting on 50D for a few days at least!
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

artiswar

Quote from: CFP on May 31, 2013, 11:00:16 PM

If exFat really doesn't work in the 50D, that's sad. Then you'll have to wait until the spanning is optimized.

What's the terminal based method for making exFAT bootable?

JulianH

Quote from: CFP on May 31, 2013, 11:00:16 PM
Just tried on a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III with EOScard (clicked the ML setting). Doesn't work, same error in camera.

artiswar

Quote from: JulianH on May 31, 2013, 11:18:44 PM
Just tried on a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III with EOScard (clicked the ML setting). Doesn't work, same error in camera.

Julian, manually merging the spanned raw files as mention a few pages back doesn't work either?