50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammermina

@julian

that will be the neckbrackin problem....

we will see what the future brings;-)

the raw.rec module is a nice plaything at at the moment but nothing else!! exept the 5dm3

JulianH

Why is that a neckbreaking problem. It's not all about resolution. Compare 1920x1080p standard h264 footage to 1592x864 50D raw... guess what I prefer?

GregoryOfManhattan

please post links to color issues in raw recordings - DNGs and jpgs.
are zoom mode recordings looking different?
or if it all looks good, let us know.

menoc

Quote from: menoc on May 30, 2013, 08:12:02 PM
I'd be glad to test the new build. I sent you a PM with my email.

:P   . . Well, silly me . . . it was in my junk folder all this time! Darn Microsoft, they throw away the things you want, and send you the things you don't!

Major props go to GregoryOfManhattan for the prompt response . . . and to the entire ML Dev team for all the help. Much appreciated!!

JulianH

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on May 30, 2013, 11:15:29 PM
please post links to color issues in raw recordings - DNGs and jpgs.
are zoom mode recordings looking different?
or if it all looks good, let us know.
Normal mode colors are fine (working on footage now, will make a lot of DNG's available)
In 5x zoom mode colors are weird (lot of green in the shadows), impossible to correct in ACR properly I think.

menoc

menoc

Quote from: JulianH on May 30, 2013, 11:30:14 PM
Normal mode colors are fine (working on footage now, will make a lot of DNG's available)
In 5x zoom mode colors are weird (lot of green in the shadows), impossible to correct in ACR properly I think.

The halos aren't cool but the green kind of gives it a filmic look . . . I kind of like it!

But play around with it in ACR. It may need some work to get rid of the greens though.

necronomfive

Quote from: JulianH on May 30, 2013, 11:30:14 PM

Can you provide a DNG? Do I see correctly that the native resolution of the frame is 1920x1056 ? Very nice for a "plaything" ! ;-)

father_v

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on May 30, 2013, 07:26:34 PM
50D party may be over - merging with the latest unified, builds are not producing spanned raw files which can be processed with the latest 04a39e3 modules/raw_rec/raw2dng
getting the Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

the party's over already? I just bought a 50D on the offchance this was going to pull through, haha, i guess if it seems too good to be true...

As mentioned previously, this isn't really a bug as it's unsupported, but perhaps in light of the 50D's latent capabilities is there any chance developers will take a look to get raw working again for it?

thanks to everyone for taking it as far as it's come already, unbelievable really.

Andy600

It's still early days! The 'bugs' will be fixed.  ::)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JulianH

Quote from: necronomfive on May 30, 2013, 11:38:03 PM
Can you provide a DNG? Do I see correctly that the native resolution of the frame is 1920x1056 ? Very nice for a "plaything" ! ;-)
You just see the output settings below. I shot at 1600x900. 1920x1056 is possible theoretically, but the 50D can't keep up with the speed needed for that.

menoc

Quote from: CFP on May 30, 2013, 10:13:13 PM
Don't worry, I know what 2K is. And I am very sure that it is not possible for the 50D to record 2K raw videos at any frame rate.

The actual resolution of the 50D's sensor may be 4752 X 3168 (15 Megapixel) but Canon doesn't read the full sensor and downscale it to every resolution we want but simply skips columns and lines to get the LiveView image.

And that's what Magic Lantern's raw video is: The LiveView image.

Since something like 2048 X 1152 (16:9) 14-bit raw video at 24 frames per second would require 95 Megabyte/s write speed, the write speed is not the biggest issue. But I doubt that there's a way to increase the LiveView image's resolution without replacing the Canon Firmware ...

But when you think about it, in stills mode it is indeed a 4K camera. If you shot a RAW stills time-lapse, it would in fact be a 4K RAW sequence.

So, what is the process to grab the full 4K stills frames?? . . . Perhaps a module could be written to hijack the process that reads the sensor and get rid of all the line skipping? I know that we will not be able to do 4K - the write speeds just aren't there - but perhaps we could improve color rendition and problems like moire . . .

Just thinking out loud . . . feel free to debunk me.

artiswar

Quote from: father_v on May 30, 2013, 11:52:41 PM
the party's over already? I just bought a 50D on the offchance this was going to pull through, haha, i guess if it seems too good to be true...

As mentioned previously, this isn't really a bug as it's unsupported, but perhaps in light of the 50D's latent capabilities is there any chance developers will take a look to get raw working again for it?

thanks to everyone for taking it as far as it's come already, unbelievable really.

Honestly the issue Gregory mention seems like an easy fix. It's on the OS side of things. And only for spanned footage.

Andy600

The file spanning issues are still a problem for the 5d3 too and A1ex has been working on them (a lot). There are newer commits specifically related to the issue and changes have been made since Gregory posted his update. There is also a new raw2dng.exe. I could pull Gregory's build and compile with the latest commits but maybe he is already on it? Gregory?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

artiswar

Quote from: Andy600 on May 31, 2013, 12:12:02 AM
The file spanning issues are still a problem for the 5d3 too and A1ex has been working on them (a lot). There are newer commits specifically related to the issue and changes have been made since Gregory posted his update. There is also a new raw2dng.exe. I could pull Gregory's build and compile with the latest commits but maybe he is already on it? Gregory?

Continually blowing minds. Good on all of you guys.

Andy600

I'm looking through the source files and it looks as though the 50d hasn't actually been added to something important so it isn't calibrated correctly (if at all). It looks like it's guessing or assuming settings from other cameras to get it's black point and I suspect this will have a lot to do with magenta or green casts. I could be wrong but it looks like raw.c needs some work.

Scrub that. I wasn't looking at Gregory's changed raw.c. Just looking over them now to see if I can spot anything.

CFP

@ menoc:

Another way to get higher resolutions:

Use 5X crop mode. Capture first frame, move the AF-box, capture second frame, move the AF-box, capture third frame, move the AF-box, fourth frame, reset the AF-box to the first position and repeat the whole thing.

In post just merge the 4 frames together - On the 50D you would get almost 4K!

But I don't see this working at 24 frames per second.

And the file spanning thing should be solved soon. Btw. why aren't you just using exFat like on the 600D and 5D Mark III to record over 4 GB in one file? Doesn't that work on the 50D?

And the green tint is a black level issue. Should bee easy to fix that.

necronomfive

Quote from: menoc on May 31, 2013, 12:06:01 AM
But when you think about it, in stills mode it is indeed a 4K camera. If you shot a RAW stills time-lapse, it would in fact be a 4K RAW sequence.

So, what is the process to grab the full 4K stills frames?? . . . Perhaps a module could be written to hijack the process that reads the sensor and get rid of all the line skipping? I know that we will not be able to do 4K - the write speeds just aren't there - but perhaps we could improve color rendition and problems like moire . . .

Just thinking out loud . . . feel free to debunk me.

From what I have gathered so far, the ARM CPU in all Canon EOS is not fast enough to do any kind of real-time processing on the image data (like scaling, or bit reduction). The other problem would be that at 4K resolution, DMA probably puts a heavy burden on the SDRAM bandwidth, limiting other bus masters which access the memory area.

But what I still need to understand is why the maximum resolution increases in live view when the zoom mode is being used. I understand that Magic Lantern is currently using the default Canon register settings for the DIGIC4, which controls the downsampling of the sensor image data before it's written to SDRAM for Live View. The different screen sizes are a result of a EDMAC copy with different size parameters from that area.

The question now is: how flexible is DIGIC4 in downsampling the sensor data before it's written to SDRAM?

Sorry if I sound like a total noob, but I'm still reading my way through the sorce code and the reverse engineered register list.  :-[

artiswar

Quote from: CFP on May 31, 2013, 12:25:38 AM
@ menoc:

Another way to get higher resolutions:

Use 5X crop mode. Capture first frame, move the AF-box, capture second frame, move the AF-box, capture third frame, move the AF-box, fourth frame, reset the AF-box to the first position and repeat the whole thing.

In post just merge the 4 frames together - On the 50D you would get almost 4K!

But I don't see this working at 24 frames per second.

And the file spanning thing should be solved soon. Btw. why aren't you just using exFat like on the 600D and 5D Mark III to record over 4 GB in one file? Doesn't that work on the 50D?

And the green tint is a black level issue. Should bee easy to fix that.

That would be a neat work around.

I'm assuming no exFAT due to the CF slot limitations.

1%

Re: File splitting;

Are you sure this camera doesn't support exfat? I have no large file problems on SD cameras. A1ex fixed card full footer writing or at least appears so.

father_v

@andy600 - 'bugs' perhaps not the greatest term when talking about nightly builds - apologies.

as a longterm ML user but development rookie i guess i wasn't sure what constitutes official ML support & whether that extends to the 50D.... you'll hear no complaints or demands from me, the work you've all done is amazing.

anyway cam arrived today & fast card should be here end of week so will get going with whatever limited testing I can offer - cheers!

Andy600

The 50d is NEVER going to get 4k 24fps video EVER. It's just not capable. Even if the devs managed to get something like 8bit motion jpeg working it would still not be powerful or fast enough to handle that much data. The maximum dimensions are dictated by the raw sensor data that feeds LV. In other camera bodies (i.e. the 600d) changing the jpeg/raw mode could alter frame sizes but that is not implemented in the 50d and I don't know if it ever will be or if it will have any effect. The biggest frame dimensions we will get are what it stated on page one of this topic. What we need is normal and crop modes working as well as possible within the confines of CF writing speed limits. 

artiswar

Quote from: 1% on May 31, 2013, 12:32:31 AM
Re: File splitting;

Are you sure this camera doesn't support exfat? I have no large file problems on SD cameras. A1ex fixed card full footer writing or at least appears so.

Would this be a rewrite somewhere in the source or a format on a PC for the card?

Andy600

Quote from: father_v on May 31, 2013, 12:33:43 AM
@andy600 - 'bugs' perhaps not the greatest term when talking about nightly builds - apologies.

as a longterm ML user but development rookie i guess i wasn't sure what constitutes official ML support & whether that extends to the 50D.... you'll hear no complaints or demands from me, the work you've all done is amazing.

anyway cam arrived today & fast card should be here end of week so will get going with whatever limited testing I can offer - cheers!

Don't thank me ;) I haven't really done anything yet :D