50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savale

I can imagine the algorithm decides to do something with highlight recovery / black levels depending on the situation. If there is some sort of flickering this might be emphasized by the algorithm...

KahL

I have a question regarding the h264 VIDEO of the 50D (not raw frames). In the Canon menu, I have "Exposure Simulation" clicked to "on" to eliminate the auto-exposure in Live View. However when I try to record the video, it automatically jumps BACK to auto exposure, which immediately ceases once I stop recording. I'm sure it's because I'm late to the 50D party but, how can I fix this issue?

menoc

Quote from: KahL on May 30, 2013, 03:28:03 PM
I have a question regarding the h264 VIDEO of the 50D (not raw frames). In the Canon menu, I have "Exposure Simulation" clicked to "on" to eliminate the auto-exposure in Live View. However when I try to record the video, it automatically jumps BACK to auto exposure, which immediately ceases once I stop recording. I'm sure it's because I'm late to the 50D party but, how can I fix this issue?

Set the camera to "Manual (M)" mode and set "Exposure Overwrite" to ON in ML menus.

KahL

Quote from: menoc on May 30, 2013, 04:59:13 PM
Set the camera to "Manual (M)" mode and set "Exposure Overwrite" to ON in ML menus.
D'oh!
Well'p that helped. Thanks man :)

CaptainOfObvious

Anyone else using a RPP workflow? To be more specific I'm doing:

Raw2dng ->RPP w/ Blur chroma, Auto WB and 5 Sharpening (to 16bit Tiff) ->MpegStreamClip (to ProRes444). Pretty happy with the results, but RPP's interface leaves a lot to be learned.

artiswar

I'd love more DNGs. As far as flickering, it seems to be from the looping. I'll have cam in hand tomorrow so I'll get some tests up as well.

seifer

I don't know too much about this but would it be possible to capture in 12-bit raw instead of 14-bit (I think this is right) that is currently being recorded? That way you should be able to capture higher res with less buffer usage, and maybe make 1920 a captureable res without dropping frames.

GregoryOfManhattan

has anyone been able to process spanned .raw .r01 .r0... files generated on the 50D?

JulianH

I'm going out now to shoot. Will make a nice collection of DNG's to play with. Have a nice idea to make a grading collaboration video to show off 'the power of raw' as well :)

@Gregory: How should I process the spanned files with raw2dng? just drag and drop like other files? I thought I read somewhere I should do something else, but can't find it...

GregoryOfManhattan

50D party may be over - merging with the latest unified, builds are not producing spanned raw files which can be processed with the latest 04a39e3 modules/raw_rec/raw2dng
getting the Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

artiswar

How were spanned files from the MKII being processed? I find it hard to believe there isn't a work around.

GregoryOfManhattan

@JulianH - cut before span - no shots longer 4G

latest raw2dng is supposed to be able to start from the first .RAW and continue through .R01, ...
not working with 50D files.
(also tried making a 16G cat of all of the .R files - that didn't work either.)

not sure that this is a "bug" we can report as  50D raw is not supported.

looks like something is slightly off for the 50D when the span happens.
you can get pink noise version of your images if you raw2dng the last .R0_ file
you may be able to recover the first file with the footer fix.

safest for now to not shoot longer than 4G

artiswar

goldenchild9to5

New 50D video posted on vimeo

GregoryOfManhattan

referring to a code merge with current code from the unified branch

hg merge unified

building and using the very latest raw2dng

$./magiclantern/magic-lantern/modules/raw_rec/raw2dng /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/M30-1055.RAW
Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

did try the "cat" command to join the raws - but this should not be required with the current raw2dng

will need more time and help from others to resolve the file spanning.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on May 30, 2013, 07:53:01 PM
referring to a code merge with current code from the unified branch

hg merge unified

building and using the very latest raw2dng

$./magiclantern/magic-lantern/modules/raw_rec/raw2dng /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/M30-1055.RAW
Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

did try the "cat" command to join the raws - but this should not be required with the current raw2dng

will need more time and help from others to resolve the file spanning.

Thank you for all your work & efforts to try getting the 50D unified, and file spanning.

menoc

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on May 30, 2013, 07:19:45 PM
has anyone been able to process spanned .raw .r01 .r0... files generated on the 50D?

I'd be glad to test the new build. I sent you a PM with my email.

artiswar

Gregory, if I can get a hold of those .raws I'd be glad to start working on it. SoShareIt should be able to handle those sizes.

dhallowell19

I have raw working fine on the 5DMiii - but I'm new to the 50D and probably making a naive mistake in the setup.

1. I have the regular 50D ML setup right on the 50D
2. I used the 'autoexec.bin' file for the 50D, from one of the first posts in this thread, to replace the autoexec file that was in the regular ML setup.
3. I copied the MODULES folder from the link in that same 50D post near the top of this thread.

I get a message along the lines of  'Scripts folder missing', but I can load the modules and the raw menu items work in the 50D

BUT - even when shooting at, say, 1280 x 720, using a 1000x Komputerbay 64GB card,  data rate peaks at about 20Mbits/sec and frame skipping happens in about 10 seconds.  I'm sure I've screwed something up.  I don't mind learning on my own and waiting a while to get things working - but I'd appreciate any tips that you might offer.

hijodeibn

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on May 30, 2013, 07:26:34 PM
50D party may be over - merging with the latest unified, builds are not producing spanned raw files which can be processed with the latest 04a39e3 modules/raw_rec/raw2dng
getting the Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

Hello guys, I have just been reading this forum since a few days and I am astonished with all the work you have done and the results you are getting with this camera.......I just got a 50d yesterday and I should be receiving it in a few days.

My congrats to Gregory, Andy, Julian and the rest for all the time and efford they are putting in this task.......and I hope the party is not over yet....I am still dreaming with 2K RAW on the 50d......

CFP

Quote from: hijodeibn on May 30, 2013, 09:27:24 PMI am still dreaming with 2K RAW on the 50d
Well, stop dreaming. 2K is impossible.

Not because the write speed is to low but because the 50D's maximal resolution is 1592 X 1062 (Without crops). You can't get 20 Megapixel from a 12 Megapixel sensor and you can't get 2K from a 1592 X 1062 LiveView image.

But higher framerates than 24 frames per second might be possible in the future.

hammermina

hello quys

i am strugelin withe the latest build on my 550d reachin 1280*480 19fps....

now..what you think will it be possible to get a horizontel of 1920 or near that on the 50d in the future.

otherwise i will safe my money for a 5dm3;-)

Dannington

2k (or 3k or 4k) refers to the horizontal resolution of the image, not the overall pixel count.  The sensor on the 50d is over 4k wide.  Is it the live view buffer you're talking about?

I'm really looking forward to someone giving the 40d a good go as it's sensor is lower res but still over 3k wide (and i've got one).

JulianH

The live view in full sensor mode is restricted to 1592 wide. In cropped mode it's wider, maximum 1992. As far as I understand there is no way it's resolutions are going to get any wider than that.

CFP

Don't worry, I know what 2K is. And I am very sure that it is not possible for the 50D to record 2K raw videos at any frame rate.

The actual resolution of the 50D's sensor may be 4752 X 3168 (15 Megapixel) but Canon doesn't read the full sensor and downscale it to every resolution we want but simply skips columns and lines to get the LiveView image.

And that's what Magic Lantern's raw video is: The LiveView image.

Since something like 2048 X 1152 (16:9) 14-bit raw video at 24 frames per second would require 95 Megabyte/s write speed, the write speed is not the biggest issue. But I doubt that there's a way to increase the LiveView image's resolution without replacing the Canon Firmware ...