50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artiswar

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 30, 2013, 01:33:41 AM
Right on looking at the footage you make a lot of sense, pull it back for some more detail.  I can't believe how much DR that camera has, you can pull the sky right back no problem.  Now we can really get creative, and have fun with our grades without worrying about extract noise / Codec breakdowns.  It might have a little less sharpness than the GH2, or G6 but at the end I like that softer image it's looks very filmic.  I have a question you up-res the footage in after effects right.. What dimension did you plug in (4... x 2...)

I was a die hard anti-Canon, GH2 fanboy. Now, having lost my GH2 body, this is a perfect place to start playing. To me, color rendition matters entirely more than sharpness, especially for web delivery.

My workflow was as follows:

1. Process the DNG files through Camera Raw in PS, save the individual files to .tifs.
2. Open Quicktime Pro 7 (insanely useful application), Select "Open as Image Sequence" from the File drop down menu.
3. Export as ProRes 4444 at 4k resolution.

Having worked DI on sets a couple times, I would be interested in creating an Automator app on Mac that creates a folder structure as follows

Master folder for shot
Subfolders labeled "RAW", "DNG", and "TIF"

Have automator run RAW2DNG for each .raw file and have it render the DNGs to each subfolder.

Then manually process each shot through Camera Raw, rendering to 4444s which would sit inside the shot's master folder.

KahL

Gorgeous progress on the 50D.
I'm getting continuous 1592x840 filming at 24fps, for a clean 1920 horiz px upscale. Needless to say, send me over the latest builds when they're all set :-D

Untouched.

Graded and Textured.

artiswar

What's with the small 3px black line on all of the 50D stuff I've seen?

goldenchild9to5

Oooh shoot your the one who made a post about your GH2 being stolen on Personal-View right?  Myself I'm all about the GH2 had a canon before sold it than got my first GH2 now own two.  You right DR, and Color Depth is more important imagine what we can achieve now with a software as powerfull as davinci resolve my head spinning.  Someone will create that software you talking about soon, cause a lot of professionals will be using those hacked canons on projects. 

menoc

Quote from: artiswar on May 30, 2013, 01:51:00 AM
What's with the small 3px black line on all of the 50D stuff I've seen?

Black pixels. They'll get fixed.

LukeJflowers

Where can we download the raw hack?

menoc

Quote from: artiswar on May 30, 2013, 01:43:22 AM
I was a die hard anti-Canon, GH2 fanboy. Now, having lost my GH2 body, this is a perfect place to start playing. To me, color rendition matters entirely more than sharpness, especially for web delivery.

My workflow was as follows:

1. Process the DNG files through Camera Raw in PS, save the individual files to .tifs.
2. Open Quicktime Pro 7 (insanely useful application), Select "Open as Image Sequence" from the File drop down menu.
3. Export as ProRes 4444 at 4k resolution.

Having worked DI on sets a couple times, I would be interested in creating an Automator app on Mac that creates a folder structure as follows

Master folder for shot
Subfolders labeled "RAW", "DNG", and "TIF"

Have automator run RAW2DNG for each .raw file and have it render the DNGs to each subfolder.

Then manually process each shot through Camera Raw, rendering to 4444s which would sit inside the shot's master folder.

It's doable but you'll probably have to do some AppleScript with it.

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: KahL on May 30, 2013, 01:49:05 AM
Gorgeous progress on the 50D.
I'm getting continuous 1592x840 filming at 24fps, for a clean 1920 horiz px upscale. Needless to say, send me over the latest builds when they're all set :-D

Graded and Textured.

First off, Hello everyone! Just registered, I was able to snatch a 50D on ebay for relatively cheap, it's coming in tomorrow and my CF card is coming friday, I'm eager to help out with any testing or workflow solutions.

Secondly, wow, this is great. A little soft as it's not native 1080 but yet the detail kicks the hell out of H.264 to my eyes. Would you mind sharing which card you're using?

LukeJflowers

Where can we download the raw hack?

CaptainOfObvious

User GregoryOfManhattan has asked that those willing to test the newest builds PM him.

GregoryOfManhattan

@CaptainOfObvious and @LukeJflowers current released build is Post #2 of this thread -
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg39086#msg39086
working toward another release.

CaptainOfObvious

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on May 30, 2013, 05:46:40 AM
@CaptainOfObvious and @LukeJflowers current released build is Post #2 of this thread -
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg39086#msg39086
working toward another release.

Thanks, look forward to the next one.

menoc

A little video on the HDMI Monitoring . . .

savale

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 30, 2013, 12:06:17 AM
Nice.. Welcome to the club.  What brand of card do you have?

Thank you! I have a komputerbay 1000x 64gb.

AnotherTim

Quote from: artiswar on May 30, 2013, 06:54:07 AM
http://vimeo.com/67268599

Grading test.

I did a similar grade - great minds think alike! No sharpening on mine though - I think it has a smoother look without.

JulianH

Nice :) Are you guys interested in more DNG footage from the 50D?

I'm planning on shooting something more this evening, would be nice to see your grades on it! I'll upload some DNG sequences. Going to shoot in 16:9 @ 1592x 896, this gives me about 480 frames, or 20 seconds.

Also will do a test with a Nikkor 80-400mm VR II in 10x cropped mode..  ;D I can get 320 frames at 1600x900 :)
What is the actual crop factor in 10x zoom?

novielo

Well, i would be interested at some dng footage.
I realy love the fact (psychologic i'm sure it is) that i can grade in lightroom instead of vegas

AnotherTim

More DNG's as much as you can!

I'm trying to find the best way to work with these files. What is everyone doing for noise & moire? Neat video? Lightroom?

I want to regrade this to get a cleaner look.

savale

Quote from: AnotherTim on May 30, 2013, 01:07:51 PM
More DNG's as much as you can!

I'm trying to find the best way to work with these files. What is everyone doing for noise & moire? Neat video? Lightroom?

I want to regrade this to get a cleaner look.

Lightroom will do the job, but neat video is also really good. But I see some strange thing in your video:

1) Are these a few loops?
2) I see flickering... But this might have to do with issue 1.

JulianH

Probably because of the loops. Beware when editing in ACR or Lightroom, it can cause flickering when you use the shadows/highlight recovery sliders. If you switch to process version 2010 that's solved, but you don't have the same controls.

will upload a big pack of dng's tonight.

savale

Quote from: JulianH on May 30, 2013, 01:43:36 PM
Probably because of the loops. Beware when editing in ACR or Lightroom, it can cause flickering when you use the shadows/highlight recovery sliders. If you switch to process version 2010 that's solved, but you don't have the same controls.

will upload a big pack of dng's tonight.

Good tip! Thx :)

AnotherTim

Quote from: savale on May 30, 2013, 01:33:31 PM
Lightroom will do the job, but neat video is also really good. But I see some strange thing in your video:

1) Are these a few loops?
2) I see flickering... But this might have to do with issue 1.

Yes. I looped it since the clip was quite short. I think the flickering is to do with a brighter part of the sky looping in & out of frame.
Compression seems to be hiding some of the issues, my original export has far more moire. For me that will be the last piece of the puzzle.

BTW i don't have lightroom (got my eye on creative cloud though). I used color finesse in AE, exported to DNxHD for viewing & compressed to H.264 720p for vimeo.

AnotherTim

I've been trying to simultaneously buy a 50d & work out the worst case scenario (which at the time was raw being unusable for some reason).

Can anyone tell me their first hand experience of working with 50d H.264 footage from the latest stable version? Is it exactly the same as rebel H.264 footage.

I'll probably use this as a B-cam more often than for raw video. Is there anything i need to know.

novielo

Quote from: JulianH on May 30, 2013, 01:43:36 PM
Beware when editing in ACR or Lightroom, it can cause flickering when you use the shadows/highlight recovery sliders.

Even if you copy/paste the exact same settings to all of the dng's?