50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

My understanding is that the stars are representative of chunks (31 - 32mb) of buffer data. The 50d has @2x that of the 600d which shows 3 stars, so I'm hazarding a guess that there could be some memory savings to be had somewhere to increase this to maybe 5 or more = bigger frame sizes. I think it would be important for the 1:1 crop mode... but then again, what do I know LOL  ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 28, 2013, 09:31:13 PM
My understanding is that the stars are representative of chunks (31 - 32mb) of buffer data. The 50d has @2x that of the 600d which shows 3 stars, so I'm hazarding a guess that there could be some memory savings to be had somewhere to increase this to maybe 5 or more = bigger frame sizes. I think it would be important for the 1:1 crop mode... but then again, what do I know LOL  ;)

It might be Andy.. let's wait and see how things pans-out. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: blackroom on May 28, 2013, 07:47:50 PM
thanks Julian! i can record long now at 24p, never quite reach 4 gigs but thats another issue.

Great you got things running now.  Report back & let us know if your getting to the 4GB limit with the Komputerbay 64GB card...

johansugarev

Hello. I am not sure if this is the right topic, but I have a few questions to ask.
I am about to buy a used 50D in order to shoot raw video, I understand it is the best choice for those who cant afford a 5D2?
1.Does it record well in 24fps? That is the framerate I plan on shooting in, and want to sync audio to it, so accuracy is key.

2. Also, could I shoot raw at 30fps and slow it down to 24fps in post? Not caring about audio sync here.

3. How does raw recording affect the camera body? Does it overheat?

4. How is it on the camera's battery? I plan on using a battery grip, so how much recording time will I get on two fully charged batteries?

5. How big are raw files. Like MB/min.? How much am I going to be able to fit in a 64gb cf card?

6. Is the KOMPUTERBAY 64GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1000X 150MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 7 a solid choice as the only cf card I would buy?

Thank you very much. I would appreciate any info that might be useful. I currently have a 550D so I guess the upgrade is worth it?

Dunc101

Quote from: Andy600 on May 27, 2013, 08:35:43 PM
@Dunc101 start here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=991.0 (I recommend using the VM compiler unless you're comfortable building your own. I tried the Windows one (cygwin) but the VM one is much better.

Get a Bitbucket account and fork from the unified build: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern and read up on Mercurial if you haven't used it :http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Tutorial

Clone the repo locally.

@coutts has the stubs for 40d (but I have no clue as to what you would do with them)

That's where my knowledge ends I'm afraid.

I can pull changes, do minor code adjustments and compile but beyond that I'm a complete novice. The code is usually well commented so it's a case of going through it and trying to understand it a little piece at a time.

Porting the 40d will be a much harder thing than what I am capable of so good luck if you attempt it. There is already a port for the 50d and a developer working on incorporating the new features. I'm concentrating on understanding what these new additions do and looking for bugs.

@Andy600

Thanks very much this is great.
I am a novice too but my as well try.
@coutts any idea what to do with the stubs?

Cheers
D

Andy600

@Dunc101 - The 40d was/is (maybe) being ported. It looks as though updates stopped a couple of months ago but you might want to try compiling this to see where it's up to: https://bitbucket.org/jplxpto/magic-lantern/commits/all ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JulianH

Quote from: johansugarev on May 28, 2013, 11:17:21 PM
Hello. I am not sure if this is the right topic, but I have a few questions to ask.
I am about to buy a used 50D in order to shoot raw video, I understand it is the best choice for those who cant afford a 5D2?
Keep in mind this is very experimental. Don't make any conclusions yet.

1.Does it record well in 24fps? That is the framerate I plan on shooting in, and want to sync audio to it, so accuracy is key.
- Yes, you can use fps override and film at 24.000 fps exactly. 1592x720 works without problems for me at 24 fps.

2. Also, could I shoot raw at 30fps and slow it down to 24fps in post? Not caring about audio sync here.
- Probably you could, but 30 fps takes more data so you'd have to lower the resolution. I didn't try anything at 30 fps yet.

3. How does raw recording affect the camera body? Does it overheat?
It doesn't. The camera has less work to do

4. How is it on the camera's battery? I plan on using a battery grip, so how much recording time will I get on two fully charged batteries?
- Don't know exactly. Pretty sure you can fill 64GB before draining two batteries...

5. How big are raw files. Like MB/min.? How much am I going to be able to fit in a 64gb cf card?
- Depends on the resolution. 1592x720 24p is about 50MB/s = 3GB per minute.

6. Is the KOMPUTERBAY 64GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1000X 150MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 7 a solid choice as the only cf card I would buy?
It should be. It's working fine for a lot of 5D3 users and that camera is much more demanding than the 50D. No guarantees though.

No need to go wild with the bold tag btw.. and welcome :)

menoc

HDMI Monitoring works while recording RAW. Just tested it with my llilieput monitor.

JulianH

Fixed the frame skipping on my previous anamorphic video. The image sequences were imported as 25 fps and my project was 24 fps. Simple as that. Re-uploaded the correct file:

arrinkiiii

Quote from: menoc on May 29, 2013, 12:44:02 AM
HDMI Monitoring works while recording RAW. Just tested it with my llilieput monitor.

Very nice @menoc  :D raw and hdmi output, sweet  :D

goldenchild9to5

Great News thanks for posting..  ;D

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 29, 2013, 12:50:49 AM
Fixed the frame skipping on my previous anamorphic video. The image sequences were imported as 25 fps and my project was 24 fps. Simple as that. Re-uploaded the correct file:

Fluid motion now..

blackroom

Yeah i'm getting 1 to 2 stars now that i'm recording at 24p but recording stops around 2.5 - 3gigs and live view shuts down. the stars don't start to increase before it shuts down either.
all displays and global draw is off, this is happening with the same KomputerBay cards on my 5d2 as well. any recommendations on utilities for low level formatting? win7 won't do fat32 at 64gigs, i guess i could try linux or on mac disk utility?
thanks again everyone!

update: ok i just shot 4 gigs finally, it's not consistent. and another question, is it normal that after recording stops and live view shuts down, u have to reload the raw_rec module?

JulianH

Sounds like you got back luck with the card.. :( can you benchmark it in a USB3 reader? return it for another one?
Another check: did you disable raw in the Canon menu's? Put the camera on jpg - that will give you the biggest buffer.

johansugarev

@JulianH Hey thanks very much for your reply. Sorry about all the questions, been way too excited researching this raw thing the past couple of nights and finally decided it's worth getting a 50d.

Andy600

I thought this would be the case but couldn't be sure without trying it so big thanks for proving it Menoc :)

This is actually big news! I will update the 1st page

Andy600

@JulianH - Your updated footage looks great! It had to be something so simple LOL ;D

Andy600

How many of you know that the 50d was actually the first camera to use the DIGIC 4 processor? http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/capturing_the_image/digic_processing.do

GregoryOfManhattan

have merged a set of edits to enable 50D to record raw video with today's commits 7183:8ba641e4a5ef
hoping to get more stability than i experienced with the build in Post#2 of this thread.
with that autoexec.bin and modules, i can hit 4GB limit, but have frequent crashes.

with the latest code, there are now many more resolution options combined with aspect ratio selection.

in tests with the latest unified code, i can get hundreds of frames at the 1592x896 (57 MB/s) on komputerbay 64G card

adjusting resolution down to less than 50 MB/s , 40 or even 30 and i'm still not hitting the 4GB limit -
seems to stop a little past 1400 frames the tests i've made and ML crashes the resulting files yield Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

stopping recording before 1400 frames works at the moment and the raw files can be processed.

fun to be able to edit and install software on your camera.

in terms of code modifications, in modules/raw_rec/raw_rec.c 
don't know the coding convention in magic lantern to handle the case of the 50D, where there is no audio, in module code - so just deleted the if (sound_rec == 1) sections since i was getting an undefined symbol on  WAV_StartRecord

KahL

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on May 29, 2013, 06:32:05 AM
have merged a set of edits to enable 50D to record raw video with today's commits 7183:8ba641e4a5ef
hoping to get more stability than i experienced with the build in Post#2 of this thread.
with that autoexec.bin and modules, i can hit 4GB limit, but have frequent crashes.

with the latest code, there are now many more resolution options combined with aspect ratio selection.

in tests with the latest unified code, i can get hundreds of frames at the 1592x896 (57 MB/s) on komputerbay 64G card

adjusting resolution down to less than 50 MB/s , 40 or even 30 and i'm still not hitting the 4GB limit -
seems to stop a little past 1400 frames the tests i've made and ML crashes the resulting files yield Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

stopping recording before 1400 frames works at the moment and the raw files can be processed.

fun to be able to edit and install software on your camera.

in terms of code modifications, in modules/raw_rec/raw_rec.c 
don't know the coding convention in magic lantern to handle the case of the 50D, where there is no audio, in module code - so just deleted the if (sound_rec == 1) sections since i was getting an undefined symbol on  WAV_StartRecord

How can we go about grabbing this?

blackroom

Quote from: JulianH on May 29, 2013, 01:21:30 AM
Sounds like you got back luck with the card.. :( can you benchmark it in a USB3 reader? return it for another one?
Another check: did you disable raw in the Canon menu's? Put the camera on jpg - that will give you the biggest buffer.

yes thanks.
i read somewhere (not sure where now) how write performance improves, like the camera needs to warm up or something? seems to be the case, the first few shots when i start filming are all 3-4 stars and end within a few hundred frames.  a few minutes later i turn it back on, format in camera and try again and its solid 1 star for 4 gigs. i dunno! i'll test my old Lexar 600X next:)

i benched with Crystal Disk Mark and got this:
komputerbay 64gig 1000x
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2

Sequential Read :   140.503 MB/s
          Sequential Write :   113.864 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    63.013 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :    23.002 MB/s

Digital Corpus

Ok, call me ignorant. I've followed the 5D3 thread, and I've searched this thread. Why is the resolution limited to 1592 x 1062? I noted another user stating that the resolution is bumped down to this when trying to select 1920x1080. Also, why is the default fps at 30?

In terms of pixels a second:
1592x1062*30 = 50,721,120
1920x1080*24 = 49,766,400

In other words, in terms of bandwidth, 1080p @ 24 fps is "easier". Again, call me ignorant :)

Aside from that, congrats to the achievement.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

Roman

The default FPS is 30, because that's what liveview works at. (Because it never had video, it never had a need to specify anything else for this)

However you can just leave FPS override turned on and leave it at 24.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Roman on May 29, 2013, 10:30:01 AM
The default FPS is 30, because that's what liveview works at. (Because it never had video, it never had a need to specify anything else for this)

However you can just leave FPS override turned on and leave it at 24.

Makes sense  :D

P337

Thanks for the test! 

Is the 50D HDMI outputting 480p like the 5D2, 550D, 600D and 60D when recording?  Or does it stay at 1080i when using the RAW recorder?