50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark0ki

Quote from: PressureFM on May 27, 2013, 09:57:44 PM
Weird, I looked it through and it doesn't frame skip here. There must be something wrong with your workflow or Vimeo/Youtube does something when re-encoding.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydcioufxct9oz1y/No_Frame_Skip.mov

I think that skipping is because the program and camera is with different frame rates (like 24fps to 25fps or something like that).

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Hokie123 on May 28, 2013, 06:30:04 AM
Hmm, well currently I have a t2i, I plan on shooting RAW for short narrative films. I would use my t2i for everything else.

Getting a 50d now and a black magic pocket camera down the line sounds like a good idea. I could potentially sell the t2i and use the 50d for stills and the pocket camera for non-narrative video. Or I could save for a much more expensive camera such as a 5d mk3 to shoot RAW or the black magic cinema camera.

What path would you recommend?

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is a must.. long recording, no headaches a true S16 Cinema Camera, have you seen Johns Brawley's new video test yet? go check it out.  Now that I know you have a T2i, by the way I use to have one also sold it love that little camera.  If you love the images from the Raw cannons that much, I would sell my T2i cause you are limited as far as shooting Raw on it & use that money to upgrade to the 50D & I would do it fast cause prices will go up fast.  Second scenario Holding on to your T2i for pictures like you said & wait for the Pocket Cinema Camera to come out.  Third scenario buying the 50D test it out if you like it keep it, if not sell it back I guarantee you will make a profit selling it back you can't lose by getting the 50D.  Hope that help you decide cheers..   

handbanana

I was going to pay off my credit card... but now I'm going to use that money to buy a 50D I think. I already have a 60D and 550D, but the RAW video on the 50D won't be matched by those due to the SD cards it seems...

I know that it can record at 720 height, how's the 1080p (or higher) looking? And what are the crop factors so far?

buildbyflying

Hi. new to the board, but I was wondering why all talk is about recording to the CF and not HDMI (wiki says 50d does do hdmi out). Is this also the case on the 5d3? Also, what's the difference between recording to the buffer and the raw_rec?

Roman

Because the HDMI output goes through all of the compression etc as a normal recorded video file, and is 8 bit.

Where as recording to the cf card is 14 bit raw images at a fairly hefty bitrate.

I'm about an hour away from owning a 50D with a battery grip and 4 batteries, only challenge now will be finding a place that sells fast CF cards for less than a billion dollars that ships to New Zealand. :(

goldenchild9to5

I got a very important question how come when I open the DNG files in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) the metadata at the bottom shows :
Adobe RGB (1998) not sRGB : 8bit instead of 14bit  I don't know what's going on.  In Digital Space the cameras are Usually sRGB specially for video, Adobe RGB (1998) is good for print.  I tried numerous other files even files from the 5D Mark III it still shows up with the same data.  I'm soo confused right about now enlighten me.. anybody I thought that It was suppose to be be 14bit Raw. 

Markkedi

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 28, 2013, 03:11:16 AM
Great decision on not selling it, Patience my friend  8) waiting on my card as well.  What card did you get?

Getting my paycheck next wednesday  and I'm thinking of getting a Komputerbay 64GB 1000x card. The best thing is that I traded my 40D few weeks ago to this 50D @ 20k shutter count with just 50 euros :)

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Markkedi on May 28, 2013, 08:50:01 AM
Getting my paycheck next wednesday  and I'm thinking of getting a Komputerbay 64GB 1000x card. The best thing is that I traded my 40D few weeks ago to this 50D @ 20k shutter count with just 50 euros :)

That's a great trade, that means you got another two weeks to to before you do any real shooting. 

JulianH

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 28, 2013, 08:43:16 AM
I got a very important question how come when I open the DNG files in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) the metadata at the bottom shows :
Adobe RGB (1998) not sRGB : 8bit instead of 14bit  I don't know what's going on.  In Digital Space the cameras are Usually sRGB specially for video, Adobe RGB (1998) is good for print.  I tried numerous other files even files from the 5D Mark III it still shows up with the same data.  I'm soo confused right about now enlighten me.. anybody I thought that It was suppose to be be 14bit Raw.
Don't worry. Click that line and you can change the settings to whatever you want. It is the workflow setting, ACR will import your raw to these settings when you click open, save or done. Look at the file info in bridge, you'll see the files are 14 bit.

buildbyflying

@Roman: Thanks for the reply.
I'm waiting on a card myself. Perhaps I'll just rent a sandisk card to see how many frames I can get.

Roman

Also another thing, unless someone who's actually got one can confirm to the contrary,

The 50D does HDMI out, as in, you can view pictures on the TV or whatever. As best I know it's not possible to use an external monitor in a configuration which would allow recording an HDMI stream from the sensor, either way.

novielo

First post on the forum
(I've been using ml for quite some times now. On a t3i. For video mainly, time lapse, zebra, long time exposure, etc)

I played with the dng and i'm realy impressed.
The workflow is a bit slower but for 30 minutes of works for 12 seconds, from downloading the dng's, to lightroom and finaly vegas. It's not that bad at all considering that i have to color grade anyway because i use cinestyle when doing some videos.

Of course no audio can be a little of a bummer for some. But hey, will you use this camera alone? I don't think so. Having 2 cams to work with is great anyway. I'm working on a videoclip right now and this new tool will be amazing!
The t3i to sync with pluraleyes and the 50d for filmic in between shots.... Yummy

If any of you whants to see what s**t i do lol :
http://youtu.be/5z70iMgtNtQ

Viente

Exactly. Combination of h.264 for shallow DOF shots and RAW for chroma key and landscape shots is great workflow for me.

Andy600

Oh lordy...

It's hot news on EOSHD, Petapixel, Canon Rumours, Nofilmschool.com and loads more DSLR blogs but now some giants, namely Cnet and Engadget have picked up on it:-

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/28/canon-50d-gains-video-recording-through-magic-lantern-raw-hack/

http://www.cnet.com.au/canon-50d-takes-raw-video-thanks-to-magic-lantern-339344418.htm

The ML Devs deserve huge credit! @Smeangol specifically for his work on porting the raw features to the 50d!
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Hokie123

Quote from: Viente on May 28, 2013, 04:22:25 PM
Exactly. Combination of h.264 for shallow DOF shots and RAW for chroma key and landscape shots is great workflow for me.
what do you mean by using h.264 for shallow DOF,can it not be achieved shooting raw?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 28, 2013, 04:26:42 PM
Oh lordy...

It's hot news on EOSHD, Petapixel, Canon Rumours, Nofilmschool.com and loads more DSLR blogs but now some giants, namely Cnet and Engadget have picked up on it:-

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/28/canon-50d-gains-video-recording-through-magic-lantern-raw-hack/

http://www.cnet.com.au/canon-50d-takes-raw-video-thanks-to-magic-lantern-339344418.htm

The ML Devs deserve huge credit! @Smeangol specifically for his work on porting the raw features to the 50d!

Now it's in the open big media is covering it.  I don't think ebay will have any more 50D's demand is going to go way high.. 

Viente

Quote from: Hokie123 on May 28, 2013, 04:40:37 PM
what do you mean by using h.264 for shallow DOF,can it not be achieved shooting raw?

I mean sometimes if you need a longer footage its not a problem to shoot in old mode on not so detailed shots.

novielo

Quote from: Hokie123 on May 28, 2013, 04:40:37 PM

Wondered the same thing. Dof doesn't realy cares about h.264 ;)

Edit instead of trolling: got it, you ment convenience vs beauty :)

savale

Cool stuff. I think the 50d will be a nice raw camera. I own a 5d2, but looking for a good alternative for shooting raw only and think I might have found one :)

blackroom

hello and big thanks to everyone involved!
question, how do i enable 24p? i can only switch from 30fps to 2.5fps. also tried advanced mode. i've tried stable release and current nightly build. even with 64gig 1000x KomputerBay card i can only get about 300 frames at 1592x720.
i know the cards may vary and i have yet to try low level formatting card.
thanks for any help!

JulianH

Hey Blackroom, welcome to the 50D club!

Press the joystick when you are navigated onto the 'FPS override' item. There you can select the framerate. Took me a while to figure that out as well ;) Please share your tests and footage!

blackroom

thanks Julian! i can record long now at 24p, never quite reach 4 gigs but thats another issue.

JulianH

You can't record continuously at 1592x720 24 fps with the KomputerBay card? That sounds weird as I can with my Sandisk 90MB/s 32GB.
Did you turn off all the overlays? Press the info button till you get a clear screen without any info.

How long can you record? I can record till 4GB (then it stops) without problems. The buffer never goes over 2 stars (out of 4).

Andy600

Hmmm 4 stars  ??? I think it should have more than that.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JulianH

It never showed me more than 4 stars I think.

While recording 1592x720 it looks like this: (*...) sometimes it goes up to (**..) but then drops again to (*...)
With higher resolutions like 1592x840 it quickly goes to (**..) and (***.) and then starts to drop frames.