50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulianH

It was definitely worth it Smeagol. Big thanks for your efforts! I can understand the focus is mostly on the 5D3 and other popular cams, but the 50D really is a little monster that deserves some attention :)

You coud try RAWanizer to batch your DNG's into video's maybe? (Windows).
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5557.0

Not sure if it will come out nice, when I open the DNG's I have to fix the white balance first so the proxies I made before with RAWanizer were way off. It's been updated since, going to try again :)

Andy600

@Smeangol Welcome back :)

I totally agree with Julian. There is quite a buzz about the 50d now thanks to your port of the raw video features and Julian's weekend test shots. A lot of people are looking at the 50d as the lower budget alternative to the 5dmk3 which means a bigger 50d community. Great work!

I'll do my best to help iron out some of the bugs. I'm understanding the code more so hopefully I'll be able to contribute towards some improvements and minor bug fixes but it is working and looking good! :) It might be worth checking out the alternative raw module that's in development for the 5d2 as the 50d has a lot in common with it: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5655.0

I'm also a fan of the Rawanizer app. It's by far the best (and fastest) way to get the raw files ready for editing.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JulianH

Finally! Graded, exported, edited, uploaded...

Details on Vimeo. Make sure to download the original file. Let me know what you think!

smeangol

Oh RAWanizer just looks like i was looking for :) THX

@JulianH: The anamorphic Adapter seems to be a nice workaround for 4:3 'ish resolution of the 50D - looks good - tell me .. where did you film the trainstation scenes? Looks very familiar to me :)

JulianH

Everything was shot around the Central Station of Den Haag, Netherlands :)

arrinkiiii

Quote from: JulianH on May 27, 2013, 12:38:58 AM

Details on Vimeo. Make sure to download the original file. Let me know what you think!

Impressive video, nice work  :D

Did you find any moire? And if yes can be a software or raw to dng's ?? If the 50D got so big issues with moire whats it's possible to do to work around with this problem?

JulianH

Thanks!

Found plenty of moire and aliassing. Download the video. See for yourself... I left out the worst shots, like that screenshot I posted above. But as you can see, the final result can be pretty decent I think. I didn't do any correction for moire.

Most of this was shot at f/8-f/16. It would help to shoot at bigger apertures so not everything is in focus...

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 27, 2013, 12:38:58 AM

Once again beautiful video.. 50D lives on the images are soo clean... In a couple spots I saw some frame skipping am I right? and a little motion blur in two of the shots. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: smeangol on May 27, 2013, 12:51:06 AM
Oh RAWanizer just looks like i was looking for :) THX

@JulianH: The anamorphic Adapter seems to be a nice workaround for 4:3 'ish resolution of the 50D - looks good - tell me .. where did you film the trainstation scenes? Looks very familiar to me :)

Welcome back smeangol..

JulianH

Yeah, added a note on the frame skipping. It's probably my fault with making the image sequences, had some trouble with that... Didn't experience frame skipping during recording, but will upload a DNG sequence tomorrow so others can have a look!

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 27, 2013, 01:39:33 AM
Yeah, added a note on the frame skipping. It's probably my fault with making the image sequences, had some trouble with that... Didn't experience frame skipping during recording, but will upload a DNG sequence tomorrow so others can have a look!

Nice.. footage looking aswesome did you experience any motion blur at all doing recording, or it might of been the transcoding once again right?  Once again appreciate all your efforts Julian, @smeangol we need you back  ;D

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 27, 2013, 01:39:33 AM

Forgot to ask you you don't use (Raw2Dng) software any longer?  What's the difference between the new one you posted and Raw2Dng?

JulianH

What do you mean by motion blur? I'm filming at 24 fps with 1/50 shutter. There is supposed to be motion blur in moving things. That makes it look filmic ;)

RAWanizer uses Raw2DNG. It's just does more things!

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 27, 2013, 01:51:03 AM
What do you mean by motion blur? I'm filming at 24 fps with 1/50 shutter. There is supposed to be motion blur in moving things. That makes it look filmic ;)

RAWanizer uses Raw2DNG. It's just does more things!

You soo right Julian, Love those images it is so filmic.. Got another question should I order my 64GB Komputerbay from EOSHD source (Ebay) , or on Amazon found them there as well.  If you ordered one where did you get your's from?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 27, 2013, 01:37:00 AM
Once again beautiful video.. 50D lives on the images are soo clean... In a couple spots I saw some frame skipping am I right? and a little motion blur in two of the shots.
Just watched it on a 50 inch screen Wow all I can say is (Movie) Like. 

goldenchild9to5

Just ordered a Komputerbay 64GB directly from them through Amazon, shipping was free.  Have you guy's noticed how the suddenly increased the price by $8 Huuh!!! Does the ML Raw hack have anything to do with it.. "Absolutely" I won't be surprise if they increase it again, cause comparing it to the other brands there is a major price difference. 

PressureFM

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 27, 2013, 02:52:27 AM
You soo right Julian, Love those images it is so filmic.. Got another question should I order my 64GB Komputerbay from EOSHD source (Ebay) , or on Amazon found them there as well.  If you ordered one where did you get your's from?

I bought mine on eBay but the package came in a flat Amazon cardboard package.

JulianH

500MB DNG sequence

If you want to play with the DNG's... (and see if you can get it working without frame skipping ;))

apefos

Is it possible to give a try on 1440 x 810 ?

it will be around 49MB/s and probably no skip frames, the best resolution for 16:9 video in the 50D.

1366 x 768 would a good option for 16:9 too, around 44MB/s

Each camera/card combo deserves more width options to get the best possible resolution without skip frames, so have 1280, 1366 and 1440 width will be good to find the best possible resolution without skip frames for each user.

thanks

JulianH

There's no 1440 or 1366.

Options in the build i'm using:

Width: 640, 720, 960, 1280, 1320, 1920 (this resets to 1592 automatically).
Height: 320, 360, 480, 540, 720, 840, 960, 1080 (this resets to 1062).

Would be nice to have some more resolutions. Especially something between 1320 and 1592. Is this possible?

Just realised I should try 1320x840 with 1.5x anamorphic. That would make 1980x840 = 2,36:1 :)

Dunc101

Hi guys,
Would it be possible to try all this out on the 40D.
I have one happy to test with.

Cheers
D

Andy600

I'll try compiling a new raw module with more values. I know it's hit and miss as to whether they will work. Still working blind here (no CF :( )
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

@Dunc101 - Sorry, not possible yet. We need a dev with a 40d to port the changes as it's much harder to do without having the actual camera to hand in order to test every change. It might be looked at after the 50d is sorted.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 27, 2013, 09:39:56 AM
500MB DNG sequence

If you want to play with the DNG's... (and see if you can get it working without frame skipping ;))

Thanks for posting julian.. will play with images.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: PressureFM on May 27, 2013, 09:37:42 AM
I bought mine on eBay but the package came in a flat Amazon cardboard package.

So they are all from the same source than, that makes sense now.