50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulianH

If you plan to use it for filming, a high shutter count isn't a big problem, since you won't be using the shutter/mirror. You only use it to enter and exit live view. I wouldn't buy a 50D that has 160000 shots on the shutter... that might break down any time (it might get to 300000 too, you just never know...).

If the shutter 'breaks' that also doesn't necessarily mean you can't use the camera any more. I think most of the time it will result in your photos looking weird, because the shutter is not working/syncing correctly. That shouldn't stop you from taking movies.

Also you can get the shutter unit replaced. I think here in Europe that would cost like €150, depends on the camera/service center. Not sure if they still have spare parts for old models like the 50D...

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 25, 2013, 10:48:00 PM
Not necessarily. It can happen before it reaches 100k  ;D

No one knows how long their shutter will last.

So it's not safe to buy one that's close to 100K.  What would happen when your shutter reaches it's limits does that effect video recording in any way?  Just wanna make sure cause I'm about to make a purchase. 

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 25, 2013, 10:54:19 PM
If you plan to use it for filming, a high shutter count isn't a big problem, since you won't be using the shutter/mirror. You only use it to enter and exit live view. I wouldn't buy a 50D that has 160000 shots on the shutter... that might break down any time (it might get to 300000 too, you just never know...).

If the shutter 'breaks' that also doesn't necessarily mean you can't use the camera any more. I think most of the time it will result in your photos looking weird, because the shutter is not working/syncing correctly. That shouldn't stop you from taking movies.

Also you can get the shutter unit replaced. I think here in Europe that would cost like €150, depends on the camera/service center. Not sure if they still have spare parts for old models like the 50D...

Great info gonna shop around for one with minimal Shutter use thanks you all for answering my questions.. 

Andy600

There is no way to check shutter count in the camera unless ML is installed but you can use this utility: http://astrojargon.net/eosinfo.aspx
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 25, 2013, 11:24:01 PM
There is no way to check shutter count in the camera unless ML is installed but you can use this utility: http://astrojargon.net/eosinfo.aspx

So all those postings on ebay with a shutter # than are just a guess, but shutter doesn't really matter for video recording like Julian said. 

Andy600

It's better to have a shutter that works. It's a camera :D

If shutter count hasn't been taken from ML or another app then it will likely be just an estimate by the seller who is guessing how many shots they took. They guy I got mine from said shutter count was around 12k when it's actually 22k.

My advice would be to ask the seller what they usually shoot. If they say sports, run away. The 50d can shoot 6.3fps raw (photo) and sports photography usually involves a lot of burst shooting. Each time that shutter goes up and down it counts and 6.3x every second is a lot. Anything under 50-60k is probably a safe bet for a 4 year old camera, obviously the smaller the number, the better.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

50d users: What picture size are you using ATM? Raw/Sraw1/Sraw2/Jpeg etc. Try changing it then check shoot_malloc, does it alter available memory?

Does raw video work in raw and jpeg modes?

JulianH

Quote from: Andy600 on May 25, 2013, 11:57:42 PM
50d users: What picture size are you using ATM? Raw/Sraw1/Sraw2/Jpeg etc. Try changing it then check shoot_malloc, does it alter available memory?

Does raw video work in raw and jpeg modes?
I have raw disabled and jpg set to small with lowest quality. Raw video works.
Shoot_malloc total = 212M

Other settings and Shoot_malloc:
Raw = 188M
Raw + JPG = 188M
Sraw1 = 188M
Sraw2 = 188M
JPG L Fine = 212M

Andy600

Thanks Julian :)

Useful info! Can you see what the shoot_malloc reads in jpeg mode with Global Draw on and off?

JulianH

Quote from: Andy600 on May 26, 2013, 12:23:23 AM
Thanks Julian :)

Useful info! Can you see what the shoot_malloc reads in jpeg mode with Global Draw on and off?
Seems to be the same. 212M, on and off. Is that possible?

Andy600

Hmmm  ???

I'm not sure. I'm just starting to get my head around some of the code and looking at where things can be improved (I'm no expert). I think there should be a change.

JulianH

I'm doing an iso/low light test and I just can't believe what I'm seeing... H2 is too good to be true :o
Going to double, triple check and will share the results...

goldenchild9to5

Guy's what card is advisable to use with the 50D? is the 90mb/s cards good enough?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 26, 2013, 12:52:11 AM
I'm doing an iso/low light test and I just can't believe what I'm seeing... H2 is too good to be true :o
Going to double, triple check and will share the results...

That means the low light capabilities is awesome right?

moomilk

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 26, 2013, 01:02:14 AM
Guy's what card is advisable to use with the 50D? is the 90mb/s cards good enough?
That is the question that I'm about at the moment too, so from my thoughts, the fastest CF will be the better, it is only Toshiba 1066x that will be an overkill, as the 50D controller tops near 133Mb/s, so we can speak of around 120Mb/s real world write speed capability, as a result most of current high speed cards should perform near their max. specs.
By the way what 90Mb/s cards exactly were you refering to? By that speed you meant write or read speed? As 90Mb/s read speed cards are usually top at write ~50-60Mb/s only.

Just thought if LV mode is limiting the write speeds, maybe it will be also worth making a RAW video mode not involving the LV at all, for videos with static camera postion that could mean a higher res possibilities.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: moomilk on May 26, 2013, 01:12:19 AM
That is exactly the question that I'm about at the moment too, so from my thoughts, the fastest CF will be the better, it is only Toshiba 1066x that will be an overkill, as the 50D controller tops near 133Mb/s, so we can speak of around 120Mb/s real world write speed capability here as a result most of current high speed cards should perform at their max. specs.
By the way what 90Mb/s cards exactly were you refering to, by that speed you meant write or read speed? As 90Mb/s read speed cards are usually top at write ~50-60Mb/s only.

Just thought if LV mode is limiting the write speeds, maybe it will be also worth making a RAW video mode not involving the LV at all, for videos with static camera postion that could mean a higher res possibilities.

So the 90mb/s card are a no go than, on Amazon the 32gb version is going for $134 trying to keep it within budget with memory cards.

JulianH

Try to get a Komputerbay 1000x 64GB card. They are popular with the 5D3 shooters which need maximum speeds. It is one of the cheapest fast cards. More on mem cards here: http://www.eoshd.com/content/10433/which-compact-flash-cards-for-5d-mark-iii-raw-video

moomilk

Yeah for the price Komputerbay 64Gb seems to be the way to go, the only thing is that they can differ in speed a bit from card to card.
I wonder if Transcend 32Gb 1000x (priced about 120$ now) will be able to perform better, and reach the advertised 120Mb/s write speed.
Anyone seen any benches of it on 5D markII or 50d?

Jehan

Hi all,

I've been skimming through this thread. Am I to understand that the 50d raw video performance are better with the 50d than with the 600d for instance?
If I understood well, you got pretty high resolution for raw videos at 24 fps, much higher than what the 600d is getting currently with ML.

I have been searching the web for which model to buy, and I was getting set on the 600d. But if you had to choose, would you say that the 50d is the one to go with? I can find some 50d at about the same price, or even cheaper than the 600d.
And globally is it the best for raw video in this range of price (so excluding the 5d series which are much more expensive)?
Thanks all for the great work on Magic Lantern! :-)

Andy600

@Jehan - I've got both (600d and 50d) and for raw video there is no competition. 50d hands down! It's really the only one in this price range. Just waiting to test against a 5d2. I think it might beat that too ;)

Andy600

JulianH

Andy600

Good stuff Julian :)

Kudos and appreciation to the devs and of course @smeangol who is working on this port.

BTW Julian, I'm pretty sure the CF will reach about 88MB/s write speed (at least) before maxing out. Might be more, dunno yet.

Anyway, time for some sleep for me. Looking forward to seeing your low light footage!

JulianH

Yes.. sleep indeed. Expect the footage tomorrow with more tests.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 26, 2013, 01:29:43 AM
Try to get a Komputerbay 1000x 64GB card. They are popular with the 5D3 shooters which need maximum speeds. It is one of the cheapest fast cards. More on mem cards here: http://www.eoshd.com/content/10433/which-compact-flash-cards-for-5d-mark-iii-raw-video

Thanks for letting me know.. it's really cheap comparing it to the others Komputerbay it is than.