50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

menoc

Quote from: Greg on May 25, 2013, 03:21:52 AM
dng has a black frame, resolution should be 1590x1060

. . . I'm guessing the top and Left black frames?

smeangol

I created a fork of magic lantern featuring the Raw video for 50D - how to merge with the main project?
https://bitbucket.org/smeangol/magic-lantern

Andy600

@araucaria - I think the latest raw_rec module selects height based on selected aspect ratio.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

araucaria

Quote from: Andy600 on May 25, 2013, 12:03:11 PM
@araucaria - I think the latest raw_rec module selects height based on selected aspect ratio.
Thanks andy, but will it let you choose the horizontal resolution and select the hight following the aspect ratio?

@menoc What spped benchmark values are you getting with the komputerbay in liveview/movie mode rather than in playback?

JulianH

Managed to trade my old 5D for the 50D and cash :)

I got raw recording working. Did a benchmark of Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB 95MB/s in live view, but it doesn't seem to close the benchmark properly. I can't seem to find a log of bmp of the results. Where should it be?

Maximum seems to be around 50MB/s for continuous recording (with my card).

My results (how can I determine exactly at which frame skipping starts?):
Shot at 24 fps (didn't find a setting for 23.975..)

1592x1062 - frame skipping after about 50 frames (67.7MB/s)
1592x840 - frame skipping after about 480 frames (53.5MB/s)
1592x720 - no frame skipping (44.3MB/s)

1320x1062 - frame skipping after about 300 frames (56.1MB/s)
1320x960 - frame skipping after about 1200 frames (50.7MB/s)
1320x840 - no frame skipping (44.3MB/s)

1280x1062 - frame skipping after about 250 frames (54.4 MB/s)
1280x960 - no frame skipping (49.2MB/s)

The 50D did crash 2 times during my tests. Think it happened just after I pressed recording. Nothing happened, screen would stay on, had to take the battery out.

Big thanks to all of you amazing people making this possible. Shooting raw video on a 5 year old dslr... it's still hard to believe!  ;D

JulianH

Sample footage! shot some boring bricks to test for moire. Looks pretty good to me. I have the feeling it's better than the 5DII... Would have to check in a direct comparison though.

Download here (WeTransfer)

Some exported sequences and some DNG files to play with. All the info in the readme.txt.

1592x840 @ 24 fps - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 @ f/8
1280x960 @ 24 fps - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 + Kowa B&H 2x anamorphic - Stretched to 2560x960 in Premiere
And a sharpened 1920x720 version of that last one.

Andy600

Thanks Julian :)

Looking good. I had a suspicion the 50d might beat the 5d2 in terms of aliasing because of the smaller sensor size and that looks to be the case. I think there are still some bugs to iron out with black point etc but great to know it's working for you. I feel like a stuck record but my CF still isn't here so can't do anything. Frustrating excitement :D

I think these shots are good enough to prove the 50d is probably second only to the 5d3 for raw video even though the frame sizes are smaller than the 5d2.

The anamorphic lens seems to work very nicely and I think raw dimensions can be pushed even further.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JulianH

No problem! Let me know if you or someone else want me to do some other tests. I'm not a coder but not completely stupid I think.

A bit more resolution would be nice. 1592x840 without skipped frames would be perfect for 1920x1080p I think. Pretty sure it's more detailed than native 1080p on Canon dslr's. Stable 1280x1062 would be nice for 2x anamorphic and for 1,5x anamorphic something like 1536x960 would be awesome. But I'm not complaining at all with the current possibilities!

Can understand your excitement. When I heard of this raw hack, I had to try it. The 5D3 looks great, but out of my budget. I would consider the 5D2, but not cheap either and the quality isn't perfect. Not that the 50D is perfect, but for this kind of money it's amazing to have the possibility to shoot raw.

I have a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera on pre-order, but I'll seriously consider cancelling it if the 50D turns out to be usable. For me it's just a hobby anyway.

Now I just need some new badges for my camera..  :P

Andy600

Ha! Love it...  ;D

I'm not a coder either but I can compile and pull changes. I can also understand some of the less technical updates that are being done by the developers so I'm going to make a fork on Bitbucket and will try to sync with @smeangol. I will only upload things I have tried myself and we should keep the first post in this topic for updates. Eventually we will submit changes to be reviewed by the devs for the unified build.

Mods - Can you please move this thread to the new ports board? (I know technically the 50d is part of the unified ML but there is still a lot to do)

ilex

...And wath's about the humble, older and Ugly Duckling 40D  :'(

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 25, 2013, 07:21:09 PM
Sample footage! shot some boring bricks to test for moire. Looks pretty good to me. I have the feeling it's better than the 5DII... Would have to check in a direct comparison though.

Download here (WeTransfer)

Some exported sequences and some DNG files to play with. All the info in the readme.txt.

1592x840 @ 24 fps - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 @ f/8
1280x960 @ 24 fps - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 + Kowa B&H 2x anamorphic - Stretched to 2560x960 in Premiere
And a sharpened 1920x720 version of that last one.

Great Video JulianH the images coming out of the 50D looks great.. also like your new logo ML + C lol..  Looking for a 50D right now gotta get my hand on one.  From your experience with the 50D thank it's real close to the 5D Mark III?

Andy600

Quote from: ilex on May 25, 2013, 09:23:35 PM
...And wath's about the humble, older and Ugly Duckling 40D  :'(

It seems a possibility but the whole 40d port needs resurrecting by someone.

Andy600

@goldenchild9to5 sorry, I know you asked this to Julian but it's an easy question to answer. In terms of colour yes, resolution no but it's looking as good, if not better than the 5d2 because of moire and aliasing.

1%

Lol 50Dc... yep everyone is peeing on 1DC right now.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 25, 2013, 09:34:47 PM
@goldenchild9to5 sorry, I know you asked this to Julian but it's an easy question to answer. In terms of colour yes, resolution no but it's looking as good, if not better than the 5d2 because of moire and aliasing.

Good enough answer for me.. on par with 5D2 without Aliasing and Moire I'm in..

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on May 25, 2013, 09:38:40 PM

The 1DC is surely getting a beating from all those Hacks.. 

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on May 25, 2013, 09:38:40 PM

The 1DC images look great but I know what I'd rather have atm (and what I can afford... stupid bloody price!). TBH, like nearly everyone else, anything I shoot will only ever end up on Vimeo or Youtube and maybe some low-level public access TV if I'm lucky :D

...but still, it's all fun isn't it!? 

Andy600

@goldenchild9to5 - I never said it was without moire and aliasing. ATM we don't know for sure. There IS some present in the samples JulianH posted but not as much as most of the 5d2 tests I've seen.

BTW TV has coped with moire, aliasing and the dreaded interlaced format for many years. You can simply avoid shooting the things that are prone to it or shoot with a shallower DOF to blur out the culprits ;)

CFP

Quote from: Andy600 on May 25, 2013, 09:46:32 PM
...but still, it's all fun isn't it!?
Yes! And raw videos make about 263.45 times more fun than H.264 ;D

Poor guys that bought a Nikon because of the dynamic range ...

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: CFP on May 25, 2013, 09:54:02 PM
Yes! And raw videos make about 263.45 times more fun than H.264 ;D

Poor guys that bought a Nikon because of the dynamic range ...

Right about that..

goldenchild9to5

Got a question for everybody on this post what does that mean "18492 actuations on the shutter" some are even Higher like 160876 actuations on the shutter does it matter for Raw video?

Andy600

That's shutter count (the amount of times the shutter has opened and closed). 100k is the projected life of most Canon DSLR shutters.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 25, 2013, 09:51:06 PM
@goldenchild9to5 - I never said it was without moire and aliasing. ATM we don't know for sure. There IS some present in the samples JulianH posted but not as much as most of the 5d2 tests I've seen.

BTW TV has coped with moire, aliasing and the dreaded interlaced format for many years. You can simply avoid shooting the things that are prone to it or shoot with a shallower DOF to blur out the culprits ;)

So true the viewers don't care about all that, they just wanna see a great story told..

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 25, 2013, 10:28:58 PM
That's shutter count (the amount of times the shutter has opened and closed). 100k is the projected life of most Canon DSLR shutters.
so after 100K the camera will breakdown? 

Andy600

Not necessarily. It can happen before it reaches 100k  ;D

No one knows how long their shutter will last.