50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsManning

Quote from: simulacro on March 21, 2014, 10:40:36 PM
DSLR Controller not working while raw video is on

Thank you. Said this a few posts back, and it was stated that USB was working after. IT IS NOT WHILE RECORDING RAW (which is what most of us are interested in here)

sync24fps

I've been having issues with shooting long takes in ML Raw on the 50D.  If I go over the 4GB file limit and the clip switches to a zip file to continue the raw recording, when I render the ML RAW files into Cinema DNG, I get strange pink frames with lines all through the image.  The image is not even recognizable.  Any idea why this is happening?  Maybe a setting on my camera?  I tried many of your latest builds and even different cars and different recording resolution but all the same results if I go over the 4GB file limit.  Any help would be great!  I can even post a sample frame so you can see what I mean.  Thanks for your time and consideration on this.

menoc

Quote from: rommex on March 21, 2014, 10:01:39 PM
Hi there. I know about the restrictions, but  I have always had GD on with Histo and recording was continuous in my case. I also turned on Ficus Peaking, and it seems to record OK.

Regarding HDMI out: it does work, however it stresses the processor and it may influence recording. This was confirmed by 1% after I had numerous problems with a Lilliput monitor connected. In my case I had broken frames and switching off the RAW mode, incidentally recording in h.264...

Interestingly, I frequently record with my Lilliput for framing with no problems (although you won't get gray scale preview out the hdmi - doesn't work).

About peaking:  Keep in mind that it mostly depends on what mode you're shooting - most of the time I shoot in crop mode at 1920x960. Even with double buffering and dialog timers off, if I have peaking on, I do not get continuous recording. Global Draw is one of the most taxing processes in ML. I try to use it mostly for pre-record operations.

Jackeatley

Quote from: sync24fps on March 22, 2014, 04:04:03 AM
I've been having issues with shooting long takes in ML Raw on the 50D.  If I go over the 4GB file limit and the clip switches to a zip file to continue the raw recording, when I render the ML RAW files into Cinema DNG, I get strange pink frames with lines all through the image.  The image is not even recognizable.  Any idea why this is happening?  Maybe a setting on my camera?  I tried many of your latest builds and even different cars and different recording resolution but all the same results if I go over the 4GB file limit.  Any help would be great!  I can even post a sample frame so you can see what I mean.  Thanks for your time and consideration on this.

Was global draw switched on while recording? and where you recording .raw or .mlv?

menoc

Quote from: sync24fps on March 22, 2014, 04:04:03 AM

How are you merging the spanned RAW files? Also, which app are you using to render the DNGs?

sync24fps

Hi the global draw was on and recorded in .raw -  Its only if I go over the 4GB limit that I see this problem.  Also using RAW2DNG for 50D only made by Andy.  The files are rendered fine with the RAW2DNG but when they are opened in a program for processing they appear corrupted.

LEVISDAVIS

If you are working with a Mac... There is a high-probability that RawMagic will transcode all of the files appropriately. Apparently some of the Raw converters do not accept spanning of files. RawMagic is available for download in the App store. It is a free download.
Levi S. Davis

riccardocovino

Hi Andy,
I did some recordings this week after upgrading to latest TL and some times the camera freezed, never seen before.
Next week I'll have to do some shoots on a Piper flying just once, so can you tell me which is the most stable version?
I'm really afraid to miss the shots!
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

Jackeatley

Quote from: sync24fps on March 22, 2014, 07:10:18 AM
Hi the global draw was on and recorded in .raw -  Its only if I go over the 4GB limit that I see this problem.  Also using RAW2DNG for 50D only made by Andy.  The files are rendered fine with the RAW2DNG but when they are opened in a program for processing they appear corrupted.

The reason I asked is that both have caused me pink frames or torn frames in the past, try without global draw on and see what happens. On the 50D i've seen speed loss and one or two pink frames when recording with GD on, on the 550D every clip with GD on would get screwed up somewhere, so its something to check.

dogmydog

Quote from: menoc on March 22, 2014, 04:25:00 AM
Interestingly, I frequently record with my Lilliput for framing with no problems (although you won't get gray scale preview out the hdmi - doesn't work).

About peaking:  Keep in mind that it mostly depends on what mode you're shooting - most of the time I shoot in crop mode at 1920x960. Even with double buffering and dialog timers off, if I have peaking on, I do not get continuous recording. Global Draw is one of the most taxing processes in ML. I try to use it mostly for pre-record operations.

+1.
Recording with Lilliput, MLV, with 2 or 3 pink frames only at start (known issue) and the rest runs smoothly.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

dogmydog

Quote from: menoc on March 22, 2014, 04:40:14 AM
How are you merging the spanned RAW files? Also, which app are you using to render the DNGs?

Quote from: Jackeatley on March 22, 2014, 03:10:23 PM
The reason I asked is that both have caused me pink frames or torn frames in the past, try without global draw on and see what happens. On the 50D i've seen speed loss and one or two pink frames when recording with GD on, on the 550D every clip with GD on would get screwed up somewhere, so its something to check.

Rename the raw spannned files to .001, .002, in this order, then use FS Joiner Splitter. Then use Andy's raw2dng to process the raw +4GB files.
I had only corrupted frames when tried to process spanned raw files without using this method 1st.

Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

Jbowdach

so recording MLV raw video and splitting it will have an empty wav file, im assuming?

far.in.out

OK. So I got myself a 50D. Few questions so far.
How do you do your framing on an external HDMI mon? Cropping doesn't seem to be applied here.
What is the optimal build currently? Link?

To answer one of the previous questions - 50D outputs 1080i on my monitor, or at least that's what it reports... Fills almost entire screen (1920x1080).
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

lionelp

Quote from: far.in.out on March 26, 2014, 12:17:57 AM
OK. So I got myself a 50D.
What is the optimal build currently? Link

Most current is usually optimal:

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/     

or TL

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic_Lantern_for_50D_Andy600Build.2014Mar03.50D109.zip

The warnings posted elsewhere on this thread apply.
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

menoc

Quote from: far.in.out on March 26, 2014, 12:17:57 AM
OK. So I got myself a 50D. Few questions so far.
How do you do your framing on an external HDMI mon? Cropping doesn't seem to be applied here.
What is the optimal build currently? Link?

To answer one of the previous questions - 50D outputs 1080i on my monitor, or at least that's what it reports... Fills almost entire screen (1920x1080).

As I said, 50D outputs 1080 through hdmi but the native image will be a 4:3 image. To get it to display a 16:9 image, you have to set it in the ML menus. Some monitors, such as my Lilliput have a "Camera Mode"  that crops and zooms a 4:3 feed to fit the monitor's 16:9 LCD screen - know your equipment (or research it) before you buy it.

I'd recommend Andy's Tragic Lantern version:

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic_Lantern_for_50D_Andy600Build.2014Mar03.50D109.zip

menoc

I have now moved on to MLV recording. 8)

a1ex

@Andy600: feel free to create a thread in the Raw Video section, for Magic Lantern (not for Tragic Lantern). This section will be shutdown, as announced last week.

Third party builds are no longer accepted on this forum, so please contribute your changes to the main repository.

far.in.out

Still, I don't get it. When You use external HDMI mon, when you're shooting RAW how do you frame a shot? On internal monitor there's cropping on the screen so you see exactly what will be in the final frame. On ext HDMI mon I don't see any cropping. Am I missing something?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

Andy600

If the 50D maintains 1080i HDMI resolution while shooting raw I'm getting a monitor :) This question was raised several times and I was under the impression that HDMI output on the 50D drops in resolution when you hit record and/or replicates Liveview. As for framing, I guess you could stick some anti-glare film on your monitor and cut out or mark the frame boundaries.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

@a1ex - yes I know. I haven't added anything since the announcement and I'm going to lock this thread myself after my final post. I think Albert already has a 50D thread for Magic Lantern so I'll point users to that.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

To all 50D Tragic Lantern users.

First, thank you all for contributing to this thread, one of the biggest on the forum. I'm sure, like me, you learned a few things here but apologies to new 50D users who might have found it difficult to find answers among the 180+ pages.

I am now locking this thread ahead of the changes being introduced to the forum. You can read what, why and how these changes affect things here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11080

I completely understand the reasons behind the coming changes but I want to add a personal thank you to 1% for maintaining this third-party mod, bringing features to the 50D and other cameras that may not have made it to the main Magic Lantern builds. As I have always pointed out, I only compile the code that 1% commits to his Bitbucket repository. The 'Tragic Lantern for the 50D' builds are derived from the code maintained by the main developers (a1ex, g3gg0 and others) but tweaked, pushed and pulled by 1% for the 50D.

I personally have never experienced any major issues with Tragic Lantern on the 50D (and originally on the 600D) but, as I point out when notifying you of new builds, Tragic Lantern does not have all the built-in safety fallbacks of Magic Lantern and there is always the potential for irreversible damage to be caused to your camera.

So, third party modifications are no longer being supported in the forum which means we can no longer discuss Tragic Lantern. I will continue to upload TL builds to my Bitbucket repository for the foreseeable future but I suggest 50D TL users begin the transition to using Magic Lantern nightlies http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/ as the builds I upload will not be supported in any way. Questions about Tragic Lantern will be met with silence and may even result in a ban from the forum so you have been warned. If you choose to download and use a Tragic Lantern build you do so on the strict understanding that you cannot ask for support on this forum!

As suggested in the thread linked to in the first line of this post, it would be helpful to the developers for users to provide bug reports for Tragic Lantern here: https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/issues?status=new&status=open.

To report or request 'missing features' that may be in Tragic Lantern but not in the Nightly builds please use this topic: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10593.0

To discuss Magic Lantern 50D builds please use this topic: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9852.0

Thanks for your understanding!

Topic locked by Andy600