50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogmydog

Quote from: shiv on March 10, 2014, 04:09:48 PM
Well, i have just updated the firmware of the website.. (ML 2.3)
I havent installed any Nightly Builds or the Alpha Builds..
As u can see, i am very new to the ML Raw workflow.. Do i need to install the builds as well?

Nice place to start: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

johnhenryrupe

Hi everybody  :)

Got my very own 50d a few weeks ago, and while sorting things out and testing it, shot this footage. It's been a cold winter here in the great state of Wisconsin, so i decided to do a themed test compilation video. I used various lenses, including the 18-55 canon kit lens, two vintage m42s (a 55mm and 28mm), a 100-300 telephoto, and a cheap-o wide-angle adapter (on the 18-55). Used batchelor and rawanizer. Then ACR to AE. Still getting the hang of color grading (its a can of worms), and I've downloaded Resolve, so I'll start in on that soon. Thanks everyone for all the hard work! And also all the videos posted, good stuff.

simulacro

lionelp

Nice work. What resolution did you use ?
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

johnhenryrupe

Quote from: lionelp on March 11, 2014, 02:30:44 PM
Nice work. What resolution did you use ?

Thanks guys! I shot in 1584x894 (non-crop), and 1920x1080 (crop). Generally the closer up shots are 1920x1080. I used Andy600's latest builds, and after card warm up, had NO issues with recording as long as I felt like it, no drop frames, no bad frames, it totally rocked! In post exported as 1920x1080, scaling up the 1584x894 to match.

Shot with FPS override to 23.976
GD on, with just RAW histogram and focus peaking, Had this set to turn off during recording for the 1920x1080 crop shots.
RAW rec.
And of course...the Komputer Bay 64g 1000x!

menoc

Quote from: johnhenryrupe on March 11, 2014, 03:13:52 PM
Thanks guys! I shot in 1584x894 (non-crop), and 1920x1080 (crop). Generally the closer up shots are 1920x1080. I used Andy600's latest builds, and after card warm up, had NO issues with recording as long as I felt like it, no drop frames, no bad frames, it totally rocked! In post exported as 1920x1080, scaling up the 1584x894 to match.

Shot with FPS override to 23.976
GD on, with just RAW histogram and focus peaking, Had this set to turn off during recording for the 1920x1080 crop shots.

MLV or RAW rec?

johnhenryrupe

Quote from: menoc on March 11, 2014, 04:03:31 PM
MLV or RAW rec?

Still using RAW rec, haven't taken the time to mess with MLV yet. I'm pretty comfortable with the RAW rec workflow. Metadata i can live without or take notes while shooting if need be. Do you have any thoughts on this?

menoc

Quote from: johnhenryrupe on March 11, 2014, 04:11:54 PM
Still using RAW rec, haven't taken the time to mess with MLV yet. I'm pretty comfortable with the RAW rec workflow. Metadata i can live without or take notes while shooting if need be. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Well, MLV is working fine. The only issue for me is that I find it more time consuming to convert MLV if your using OS X (Mac). There's no GUI conversion utility for it on the mac. On Windows, MLV  it is well supported with utilities

Andy600

MLV Mystic? That's a GUI based app and converts .mlv and .raw on the Mac AFAIK

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10466.0
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on March 11, 2014, 07:17:16 PM
MLV Mystic? That's a GUI based app and converts .mlv and .raw on the Mac AFAIK

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10466.0

HA! . . Well, what do you know?  :D . . . that's why we need ya Andy!

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

far.in.out

Hi guys. Could someone please list all the major bugs and limitations that remain to date with RAW recording on 50D? I haven't had the time to read through all the topic yet and I'm sure some things have been resolved. So what should one be aware of when considering buying the cam at this point? Coming from 600D by the way...

...And thanks for your work and effort, much appreciated!
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

far.in.out

One more question. When recording RAW what resolution is output via HDMI (600D? 50D?)? I'm considering using it for framing/focusing/monitoring purposes (portable). I can't decide which is better for this: laptop with EOS Utility or ext HDMI monitor. Any thoughts? What do you use?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

dsManning

Quote from: far.in.out on March 17, 2014, 02:32:42 PM
One more question. When recording RAW what resolution is output via HDMI (600D? 50D?)? I'm considering using it for framing/focusing/monitoring purposes (portable). I can't decide which is better for this: laptop with EOS Utility or ext HDMI monitor. Any thoughts? What do you use?

Can't answer your resolution question, but have you tried EOS Utility while the RAW or MLV module is active?  Seems that on the 50D USB output is broken when a RAW recording module is loaded.  I try it every few builds to see if something in the changelog fixed it, but no luck so far.  I have a Nexus 7 with DSLR Controller that I would love to use with my rig (I sometimes do for framing, just shut off MLV or RAW and the image comes back) but that has the same USB issues as connecting to EOS Utility.  Good luck!

menoc

Quote from: dsManning on March 17, 2014, 11:35:29 PM
Can't answer your resolution question, but have you tried EOS Utility while the RAW or MLV module is active?  Seems that on the 50D USB output is broken when a RAW recording module is loaded.  I try it every few builds to see if something in the changelog fixed it, but no luck so far.  I have a Nexus 7 with DSLR Controller that I would love to use with my rig (I sometimes do for framing, just shut off MLV or RAW and the image comes back) but that has the same USB issues as connecting to EOS Utility.  Good luck!

50D Native ratio is a 4:3 image with side columns ( resolution is 1080p - at least that's what my monitor reports ). . . although, resolution I think depends on the monitor . . . but the aspect ratio you can always change in the ML menus.

Jbowdach

Quote from: far.in.out on March 15, 2014, 09:34:08 AM
Hi guys. Could someone please list all the major bugs and limitations that remain to date with RAW recording on 50D? I haven't had the time to read through all the topic yet and I'm sure some things have been resolved. So what should one be aware of when considering buying the cam at this point? Coming from 600D by the way...

...And thanks for your work and effort, much appreciated!

I would REALLY appreciate this as well, as Im considering upgrading from 550d\600d and would like to know the hiccups to expect. Does USB output work (for DSLR controller)? DOes audio work with MLV? Do we have on-screen audio levels while recording? Does peaking work while recording? JUst want to know what we are getting into before we jump onboard :)

Many thanks to all

menoc

Quote from: Jbowdach on March 21, 2014, 06:40:39 PM
I would REALLY appreciate this as well, as Im considering upgrading from 550d\600d and would like to know the hiccups to expect.   

Many thanks to all

QuoteDoes USB output work (for DSLR controller)?

I've heard that it does. But have not tested it myself.

QuoteDOes audio work with MLV? Do we have on-screen audio levels while recording?

There is no audio on the 50D. But you can implement the dual system (external recorder)

QuoteDoes peaking work while recording?

Yes, but no recommended if you want continuous recording. GD is recommended to be off during recording.

QuoteJUst want to know what we are getting into before we jump onboard :)

It has lovely images but you have to give it light (especially indoors). But also remember - it is RAW! So light sometimes is not that big of an issue.

Outdoors:
http://vimeo.com/davidequatela/peopleinfrankfurt

Jbowdach

Thank you very much for the answers! Seems like a very usable camera for RAW atm, minus the focus peaking. DOes HDMI out work, so if I can an external display for focus peaking (or the USB and my tablet via DSLR controller) :)

menoc

Quote from: Jbowdach on March 21, 2014, 09:14:50 PM
Thank you very much for the answers! Seems like a very usable camera for RAW atm, minus the focus peaking. DOes HDMI out work, so if I can an external display for focus peaking (or the USB and my tablet via DSLR controller) :)

HDMI Out works. I use it with my Lillieput.

Jbowdach

Quote from: menoc on March 21, 2014, 09:18:07 PM
HDMI Out works. I use it with my Lillieput.

Thank you for the confirmation. 50d seems like the ideal "affordable" RAW camera to those who can handle beta testing. Also seems like the perfect upgrade from my t2i\t3i :) thanks!!

rommex

Quote from: Jbowdach on March 21, 2014, 09:20:24 PM

Thank you for the confirmation. 50d seems like the ideal "affordable" RAW camera to those who can handle beta testing. Also seems like the perfect upgrade from my t2i\t3i :) thanks!!

Hi there. I know about the restrictions, but  I have always had GD on with Histo and recording was continuous in my case. I also turned on Ficus Peaking, and it seems to record OK.

Regarding HDMI out: it does work, however it stresses the processor and it may influence recording. This was confirmed by 1% after I had numerous problems with a Lilliput monitor connected. In my case I had broken frames and switching off the RAW mode, incidentally recording in h.264...

Quote from: Jbowdach on March 21, 2014, 09:20:24 PM

Jbowdach

Thank you for chiming in about the possible HDMI issues. Im currently using a display on my Nexus 7 tablet using USB out and DSLR controller, so this may be okay, but I greatly appreciate the info  :)

simulacro

DSLR Controller not working while raw video is on

Jbowdach

Quote from: simulacro on March 21, 2014, 10:40:36 PM
DSLR Controller not working while raw video is on

Aw man, thats a huge disappointment. Makes focusing quite difficult w/o 100% reliable HDMI or DSLR controller. Guess ill need to test and experiment,