50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

No. First I've heard of it and as the article says it's just a rumor and there are plenty of those flying around at the moment. I might have been referring to our Cinelog camera profile update that was just released?!
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rommex

Quote from: Andy600 on February 28, 2014, 12:47:08 AM
No. First I've heard of it and as the article says it's just a rumor and there are plenty of those flying around at the moment. I might have been referring to our Cinelog camera profile update that was just released?!

Oops, missed it. Would be so kind to point?

joaomoutinho

hi guys,

there are so many ways of convert from RAW to Dng , I am testing all the ways, even MLV (that take to long to convert to be usable in a tight workflow).  RawTherapee and Batchelor seems to be the most efficient, but, I could never achive to match the andy600 quality, and thats my goal. To get images with that quality!

One other thing, when I shot, the VF in the 50d was looking nice, with light as I intended to be, and the ETTR meter was telling me that it was the right exposure (the one I wanted), when I got home, and put the images in davinci (after converting the mlv files to DNG in the MLV converter), they turned allmost black, and I dont know what happend here... But is really annoying!

And for the last, I was shooting MLV and the last 3 clips where recorded in h.264! =(      really bad situation!    I know that the camera is not that "young" and I am not complaining, the only thing I would like to know, is if there are some tips or tricks to work around this problems...

I love the way 50D look. It as a really cinematic feel to it (when you are able to process images like Andy600 does)  - Andy600, I would pay for a "50D record, workflow and tips" book.
I am serious!

Andy600

I'm flattered. I haven't got time to write a whole book but I can offer advice when I'm here ;)

I never finished my 50D guide because, apart from the time and effort involved in writting it, things were moving so fast with raw development that it was becoming outdated as fast as I could write it. If I do find some free time I'll see what needs adding/changing (i.e. MLV, ETTR etc) and try to finish it but not promising anything.

Anyway, It sounds like you are shooting and exposing correctly. Is it only Resolve that makes your DNGs look dark? How do they look in another app?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

simulacro

Maybe Joao applied the bmd film curve. From what i've seen here, that log curve makes look thing darker. Apply Cinelog or Visionlog

JIKIJI

Can anyone tell me what fps settings i need to record RAW video on the 50D so i can lip sync music for a music video shoot? I did a test shoot and couldn't get it right.

lionelp

JIKIJI:

In what was formerly NTSC countries 23.976  and in PAL countries 25 FPS.
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

goldenchild9to5

Hey guy's just stopping by the forum and letting you guy's know what I've been up to with the 50D.  Before I continue I would like to thank the whole team of Magic Lantern @a1ex @1% @Andy600 @gregoryofmanhattan and many many others for all their hard work of the RAW Hacks.  Here is a commercial that I just shot for this brand new company called: Reyo all shots where on the 50D all I can say is I love my 50D enjoy it guy's also got a couple more video's on the way..  Side note it was all shot on one of Andy's old RAW Hacks working flawlessly haven't moved up to the new Hacks yet. 

inflow

Little test of my diy display turntable for video and 360 degree photo. Shot on 50d with x3 crop mode and cheap canon 50mm 1.8 lense
https://vimeo.com/87959265

joaomoutinho

I AM having issues with the credit card, so I didn't bought cinelog. But I think it is about the log. Still, it isn't quite as well exposed as I have seen while shooting. Maybe have to change the parameters of the EFV...

Have to try it out

Andy600

Quote from: joaomoutinho on March 03, 2014, 06:37:08 AM
I AM having issues with the credit card, so I didn't bought cinelog. But I think it is about the log. Still, it isn't quite as well exposed as I have seen while shooting. Maybe have to change the parameters of the EFV...

Have to try it out

Can you send me a single frame (DNG). I'll check it with my Resolve setup.

dogmydog

Hey Andy, just checked your uploaded a new Tragic Lantern Update!
Which are the most relevant changes in this one? Is there a place I can check them out?

Thank you!
PS: Just bought the cinelog. I'm running out of space and will try to convert my DNGs using your dcp, wish me luck :D
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

Andy600

Quote from: dogmydog on March 04, 2014, 04:55:25 PM
Hey Andy, just checked your uploaded a new Tragic Lantern Update!
Which are the most relevant changes in this one? Is there a place I can check them out?

Thank you!
PS: Just bought the cinelog. I'm running out of space and will try to convert my DNGs using your dcp, wish me luck :D

I think the latest changes are the same as those shown in the nightly changelogs. 1% is now committing code to the Unified build. Tragic is still different but slowly converging with Unified. If there are any significant changes/updates to Tragic Lantern I'll list them in the builds.

Thanks for your Cinelog purchase. I'd wish you luck but honestly, you won't need it ;) If you have any questions about using it just msg or email me.

1%

The main relevant thing is dialog timer disable isn't in main and I don't think it can get accepted.

Supermac

Hey guys,

Here's a micro short I shot entirely with Raw on the 50D for the Vimeo weekend challenge. I felt a bit creative over the weekend and thought it would be nice to do something other than a test. Very tricky lighting for the camera here but it held out well I think. Overall budget was £2.50 for some candles I bought from ASDA!

dogmydog

Quote from: Supermac on March 05, 2014, 10:58:48 PM
Hey guys,

Here's a micro short I shot entirely with Raw on the 50D for the Vimeo weekend challenge. I felt a bit creative over the weekend and thought it would be nice to do something other than a test. Very tricky lighting for the camera here but it held out well I think. Overall budget was £2.50 for some candles I bought from ASDA!

Nice vid! Fast and simple.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

roopepal

So, I just updated to the latest nightly build. The thing crashed when simply trying to turn on liveview. Here's the log, don't know if it's just something that happened when updating or something, but here we go anyway. http://pastebin.com/xue2GWDH

ayshih

Quote from: roopepal on March 07, 2014, 03:47:30 PM
So, I just updated to the latest nightly build. The thing crashed when simply trying to turn on liveview. Here's the log, don't know if it's just something that happened when updating or something, but here we go anyway. http://pastebin.com/xue2GWDH

I've just tested the last few nightly builds, as well as Andy's latest build, and I don't encounter any issues with turning on LV.  What is the Mercurial changeset on the build you are using?  If you do a clean install (i.e., don't preserve any settings), do you still have problems with LV?  Can you try the latest nightly build?
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

dsManning

Is there anyone else out there shooting Silent Pics?  I'd say over 60% of mine get some sort of distortion, be it off-colour, pink lines, or reorganized pixels.

1%

I always had to disable dialog timers to take silent pics.

dsManning

Quote from: 1% on March 09, 2014, 06:48:48 AM
I always had to disable dialog timers to take silent pics.

Thanks!  Works great now.  Never thought to disable during shooting, only filming.  Now if only the cropped mode were centered, this lens would be great on the 50D.

Thanks 1%

shiv

Hi guys, I just bought a second hand 50D, wanted to try out some raw video.  I have already installed the ML firmware on it, but some how in my ML menu there are only TWO reording modes ( 1920x1080, 30fps and 640x480 30fps) and it dsnt say RAW video anywhere..

Am i doing something wrong? i dont think these are Raw frame sizes..

Can anyone help :)

cheers
S

ayshih

Assuming that you've installed a recent build, you need to enable either the raw_rec module or the mlv_rec module.  Then there will be a "RAW video" item on the Movie tab of the ML menu for turning on and configuring raw recording.  The MLV format has added metadata compared to the RAW format.

shiv

Well, i have just updated the firmware of the website.. (ML 2.3)
I havent installed any Nightly Builds or the Alpha Builds..
As u can see, i am very new to the ML Raw workflow.. Do i need to install the builds as well?

ayshih

ML 2.3 from the website is the stable release, but it's a year and a half old and is missing features like raw recording.  If such features are important to you, you can install a nightly build.  While the nightly builds are not "stable" in the formal sense, they are decently well tested, and you are unlikely to encounter any major issues.  Of course, please report any issues that you do have, either on the 50D thread or on Bitbucket.