50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simulacro

It would be interesting to see the DOF at f3 at the wide side of the lens

lionelp

Similarly to @Jackeately I remember 16mm lenses being briefly covered in this forum, but I can't find. anything definitive for use in crop mode. I know that flange distance might be an issue. Anyone have anything definitive? Is it theoretically possible to use a wide or moderately wide16mm lens in crop mode on the 50d with an adaptor?
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

brandonmarsh

Here's some random shooting footage, if anybody wants to look at some:

http://vimeo.com/87060692

lionelp

@brandonmarsh I really like the filmic quality of your footage. What was your workflow?
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|

brandonmarsh

Camera - > RawMagic -> AE (ProRess 422) - > Premiere -> Export

I did color correcting w/ Adobe Camera RAW in After Effects. Thanks!

Jackeatley

Quote from: lionelp on February 19, 2014, 03:17:20 AM
Similarly to @Jackeately I remember 16mm lenses being briefly covered in this forum, but I can't find. anything definitive for use in crop mode. I know that flange distance might be an issue. Anyone have anything definitive? Is it theoretically possible to use a wide or moderately wide16mm lens in crop mode on the 50d with an adaptor?

S16 PLs on an adapter would work fine, 16mm PLs would probably work fine (Coverage wise).  If there was a issue with the rear flange being too long, there are modded PL mount 50ds around that where used for timelapses and production stills.  http://www.fdtimes.com/wp-content/uploads//2009/09/canonpl_pic_0403_031web.jpg

C or D mount is obviously a no-go due to registration distance, but work well on the EOS-M.

au8ust

Hi,

The anamorphic preview on the TL seems to be usable onscreen only. Is there any way to enable the anamorphic preview on an external monitor?

1%

Display filters don't want to work with HDMI on the older cams... btw anamorphic was busted for the last couple of days in branch. Should be good now.

au8ust

Ah... I see. Thanks for the reply 1%!

rommex

Quote from: brandonmarsh on February 19, 2014, 03:08:27 PM
Camera - > RawMagic -> AE (ProRess 422) - > Premiere -> Export

I did color correcting w/ Adobe Camera RAW in After Effects. Thanks!

Try de-bayering in Davinci Resolve. That ugly moire on the building will be less prominent. AE produces a lot of artefacts.

Andy600

Quote from: rommex on February 20, 2014, 08:14:18 AM
Try de-bayering in Davinci Resolve. That ugly moire on the building will be less prominent. AE produces a lot of artefacts.

Resolve can be pretty bad when it comes to debayering non-crop video from the 50D. It leaves mosaic artifacts in highlights. You can reduce moire quite well in ACR using the adjustment brush or if it's really bad on some shots I would suggest using Raw Therapee with AMaZE demosaicing and output to 16bit TIFF.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rommex

Quote from: Andy600 on February 20, 2014, 02:51:54 PM
Resolve can be pretty bad when it comes to debayering non-crop video from the 50D. It leaves mosaic artifacts in highlights. You can reduce moire quite well in ACR using the adjustment brush or if it's really bad on some shots I would suggest using Raw Therapee with AMaZE demosaicing and output to 16bit TIFF.

After Resolve 10 release, I re-rendered lots of footage that in AE showed unacceptable aliasing. In 90% of cases, aliasing was significantly reduced. And I don't shoot cropped.

Andy600

Quote from: rommex on February 20, 2014, 02:56:13 PM
After Resolve 10 release, I re-rendered lots of footage that in AE showed unacceptable aliasing. In 90% of cases, aliasing was significantly reduced. And I don't shoot cropped.

Aliasing and moire are different things.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

lionelp

Sorry for  the duplicate post. Trollville on my part.

lionelp

@Jackeately
Quote from: lionelp on February 20, 2014, 03:56:35 PM"S16 PLs on an adapter would work fine,....."
Thanks for the help.

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on February 20, 2014, 02:51:54 PM

I have found ACR to be best when reducing moire and ISO noise. Lately, I've been doing it in Lightroom since it has the same engine and better handling of multiple DNGs.

rommex

Quote from: menoc on February 20, 2014, 10:03:14 PM
I have found ACR to be best when reducing moire and ISO noise. Lately, I've been doing it in Lightroom since it has the same engine and better handling of multiple DNGs.

hi menoc, thanks for your note. honestly, I watch your posts and value them  8) what version of ACE do you use? I may have an older version...

BartvR

Hi, i'm new with ML raw and i'm having an problem. When i'm recording MLV raw (latest build) with my 50D and post processing this video in After Effects CS6 and then play this video in any player the video plays too fast. Like it's playing at 30fps instead of 24fps.

This is my workflow:

ML settings: MLV rec module enabled, FPS override ON (Exact fps, 24.000), GD On (only cropmks).

AE: Import DNG sequence (framerate 24fps) -> Composition (framerate 24fps) -> Render H.264

I have only a slow cf card at the moment so I can only record for 15 seconds but frame skipping is off.

Does anyone know what's happening here?

Ps thanks to all the developers working on this nice piece of software!

impulse921

Quote from: BartvR on February 21, 2014, 03:50:02 PM
Hi, i'm new with ML raw and i'm having an problem. When i'm recording MLV raw (latest build) with my 50D and post processing this video in After Effects CS6 and then play this video in any player the video plays too fast. Like it's playing at 30fps instead of 24fps.

This is my workflow:

ML settings: MLV rec module enabled, FPS override ON (Exact fps, 24.000), GD On (only cropmks).

AE: Import DNG sequence (framerate 24fps) -> Composition (framerate 24fps) -> Render H.264

I have only a slow cf card at the moment so I can only record for 15 seconds but frame skipping is off.

Does anyone know what's happening here?

Ps thanks to all the developers working on this nice piece of software!

AE likes to import footage at 30fps it seems. You have to manually select the sequence and click the interpret footage button then type in 24fps in the frame rate box. I assume you did this already but just wanted to make sure. Not sure what else would be causing the issue.

Question for anyone out there, do yo guys use the absolute zero sharpness feature in the video hacks menu? I wonder if it can produce better quality for sharpening in post instead of inside the camera. I already have the pic style set to 0 sharpness but I noticed this setting in Magic Lantern says its below canons 0 level. Yay or nay?

BartvR

Quote from: impulse921 on February 21, 2014, 11:46:00 PM
AE likes to import footage at 30fps it seems. You have to manually select the sequence and click the interpret footage button then type in 24fps in the frame rate box. I assume you did this already but just wanted to make sure. Not sure what else would be causing the issue.

Question for anyone out there, do yo guys use the absolute zero sharpness feature in the video hacks menu? I wonder if it can produce better quality for sharpening in post instead of inside the camera. I already have the pic style set to 0 sharpness but I noticed this setting in Magic Lantern says its below canons 0 level. Yay or nay?

yeah I already set the framerate to 24fps indeed..

lionelp

Quote from: impulse921 on February 21, 2014, 11:46:00 PM

No. Don't use it. what are the benefits?

KahL

Hey fellas, long time user of the 50D RAW here now.
Wanted to share some still frames from my latest promo project using this system (can we officially call it "digital cinema" at this point now?):

Shot using Zeiss C/Y 50mm 1.7 and Nikkor AI-S 28mm 2.8

johnhenryrupe

Hi everybody! I'm late in getting to the 50d party. I own a 550d and was shooting RAW with that. But just got me a 50d and, of course, am very happy. One problem, and yes I've been going through the tread but can't seem to find an answer.

-Is there a way to center the crop mode in the middle of the sensor. It seems to record a region slightly to the upper left of center, and after moving the joystick around a little, it seems to jump around to various regions but never dead center. I did a test on my 550d, and it seems to be in the center. Am I missing something or is this the case with the 50d. Not the biggest problem, but i do have a wide-angle adapter for one of my lenses, and the region crop mode uses starts to include that fuzzy area you get on lame wide angle adapters. Having the crop mode region dead center would help.

Sorry if this has already been covered. Oh yeah, I'm using Tragic lantern (andy600 build 2014.2.1), with preview set to auto, and focus box set to center x5 zoom.

You guys rock! and KahL, awesome stills!

1%

To center you have to go into crop (5x) mode and press the joystick only once.

johnhenryrupe

Quote from: 1% on February 23, 2014, 07:21:49 AM
To center you have to go into crop (5x) mode and press the joystick only once.

Thanks for the quick reply 1%! Yeah I've been trying that, going into crop mode (x5), and pushing the joystick in once. It always jumps a little off center, and then with repeated pushings starts to drift around ending up on an edge.