50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joaomoutinho

Andy, later when you have the camera with you, share the specs for me to try out...

In the crop mode, I can only record like, 20secs or so... It used to be working flawlessly with the other "build". Any ideas?
Although, it is pretty nice to be able to see the video on spot! =)

And I dont know, but in the MLV menu - Tag:Text, I cant manage to work with this, I input a name and I go out of this rotation menu an it is always "none" .   Tag:Take turns always "off" to... Dunno =S

Ah, and in the "Magic Lantern RAW converter 1.6" I ran the app for 20minutes and the progress was 0%.
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I clearly need some advise to adapt to this MLV workflow...

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dogmydog

Quote from: joaomoutinho on February 06, 2014, 06:12:43 PM
Andy, later when you have the camera with you, share the specs for me to try out...

In the crop mode, I can only record like, 20secs or so... It used to be working flawlessly with the other "build". Any ideas?
Although, it is pretty nice to be able to see the video on spot! =)

And I dont know, but in the MLV menu - Tag:Text, I cant manage to work with this, I input a name and I go out of this rotation menu an it is always "none" .   Tag:Take turns always "off" to... Dunno =S

Ah, and in the "Magic Lantern RAW converter 1.6" I ran the app for 20minutes and the progress was 0%.
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I clearly need some advise to adapt to this MLV workflow...

Quote from: Andy600 on February 06, 2014, 06:23:51 PM
PM'd you ;)

Andy, please share it on the fórum as well :).
I'm about to start shooting MLV next monday and I'd very much appreciate any advice whatsoever.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

Luzestudio

Hi!
Im making some test in RAW before jumping to real production.
In this clip something happens with the green, the light intensity is "vibrating".
Anyone knows what causes this?
I batch edited the dng in Lightroom and imported them in Premiere as image sequence.
Is this noise?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqg48759hx5iyqm/greens.mp4

(Posted in Dropbox, youtube compress the video so much...)
-----
www.luzestudio.es

Andy600

Haven't seen the video (upload to Vimeo or YT please) but it's either that your frame rate isn't set correctly for your country (use 25p for Spain) or it's caused by Lightroom and ACR. Auto WB, Shadow/highlight recovery and a few other things in LR and ACR are 'intelligent' and will change depending on luminance. It's not intended for processing sequential video frames but you can do something about it. See my signature ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Luzestudio

Quote from: Andy600 on February 07, 2014, 02:11:22 PM
Haven't seen the video (upload to Vimeo or YT please) but it's either that your frame rate isn't set correctly for your country (use 25p for Spain) or it's caused by Lightroom and ACR. Auto WB, Shadow/highlight recovery and a few other things in LR and ACR are 'intelligent' and will change depending on luminance. It's not intended for processing sequential video frames but you can do something about it. See my signature ;)

Here is uploaded to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM-iULAzGpg
-----
www.luzestudio.es

Andy600

It's definitely flickering caused by Lightroom.

crash-film

hi guys!
good to see still movement in the develepment and some final touches.
got some new footage. haven´t changed ML on my cards for months. it just works ;-)
aliasing in the last shot is horrible. but, nothing is perfect...

shot with sigma apo 70-200 mm 2.8 (crop mode up to 600mm. that´s why it´s sometimes a little shaky) and canon 28 mm 2.8

kyrobb

Is Dual ISO working for video with the 50D. I've had issues getting it to work and was told that it may not be working yet for video. Any truth to this?

1%

No way to make it work for video. The registers don't work the same. Same for 5DII and probably 7D

Luzestudio

Quote from: crash-film on February 09, 2014, 03:03:27 PM
hi guys!
good to see still movement in the develepment and some final touches.
got some new footage. haven´t changed ML on my cards for months. it just works ;-)
aliasing in the last shot is horrible. but, nothing is perfect...

shot with sigma apo 70-200 mm 2.8 (crop mode up to 600mm. that´s why it´s sometimes a little shaky) and canon 28 mm 2.8

Looks great! Its a shame how youtube sometimes spoils the quality by his strong compression. Have you tried with Vimeo?
-----
www.luzestudio.es

lionelp

Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

dogmydog

I see developers have come with a solution to pink frames:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10443

Are pink frames the same as corrupted frames (like the 3 first ones in 50D MLVs)?
Or another issue? Also, will this fix work with 50D footage as well?

Thx!
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

1%

dogmydog

Quote from: 1% on February 12, 2014, 03:50:46 AM
We shall see.

Sorry for noobing, but are "pink frames" the same as "corrupted frames" we get on the 3 first frames in 50D MLVs? Or another issue?

In 1% we trust :). Ty for your patience.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

1%

Supposed to stop GD related pink frames and silent pic corruption.

Jackeatley

Hi Guys, Thanks so much for all your hard work, i've been watching and reading for a few years now, i've never felt the need to register because I just search the forum for an answer to my question, but in this case my searching has failed, one thread came close to answering, i didn't want to post on zombie threads or make new ones so i'll ask here.

I've been really digging 50d crop mode, so much so that I occasionally use lenses that don't cover the sensor but look nice as crops.

my problem has arisen trying to use an old B4 mount TV lens, i've got it mounted properly and it looks good, but I can't for the life of me work out how to (or if i can) properly centre the focus box. I'm ok cropping out a small vignette in post, but obviously i'm loosing the wide end of my lens, and if I use the nice smooth servo zoom it obviously zig zags off at an angle because the crop isn't centered to the lens. I've tried digital dolly but the joystick just stops working.

I've seen other threads which allude to the box never getting centered but I can't work out what the actual deal is.

I know its a strange thing to want to do, but can anyone help me?

Cheers

PS I don't seem to have this problem on the 550d, but obviously I can only shoot 15 frames before the buffer fills.

kyrobb

Quote from: 1% on February 09, 2014, 07:27:02 PM
No way to make it work for video. The registers don't work the same. Same for 5DII and probably 7D
So Dual ISO video is a lost cause on the 50D? No possible way it could ever work?

1%

maybe something else similar to dual ISO but the way it works now, no.

riccardocovino

@ Jackeatley
Hi, I'm curious to know how you mounted the B4 lens, 'cause I have a fuji zoom lens and would like to work with it!
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

Jackeatley

Quote from: riccardocovino on February 13, 2014, 01:06:28 PM
@ Jackeatley
Hi, I'm curious to know how you mounted the B4 lens, 'cause I have a fuji zoom lens and would like to work with it!

Adapter from a ebay store from Singapore.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181227040910

Obviously works but i'm having a issue with centering the crop, known to work well on the HD crop mode on the 600d.

rommex

Quote from: Andy600 on February 06, 2014, 04:27:26 PM
Use the MLV module. You can tag .mlv in camera ....

Hi Andy,

thanks for your invo about the MLV workflow. I just tried it today.

MLV Converter is a very good program. Didn't find any problems in the workflow.

However I couldn't find how to tag clips in-camera. I was clicking the "free text" but somehow didn't figure out how to actually enter the tag.

Could you please help, as always? )

THNX

UPDATE Also in your latest TL build GD suffers in MLV recording. Keeping GD On, if you record MLV video, everything is fine. But then switch RAW off, record some h.264, and switch RAW back on, making sure GD is ON. GD will be deteriorated -- some info is gone, the black upper stripe is gone.... raw_rec behaves well in this regard.

riccardocovino

Quote from: Jackeatley on February 13, 2014, 09:46:40 PM

Obviously works but i'm having a issue with centering the crop, known to work well on the HD crop mode on the 600d.

I don't have the 600d so I have no idea if the crop factor is the same of the 50D raw crop mode. If it's the same and 2/3" lenses cover it without vignetting that's great!
Unfortunatly the seller you pointed doesn't ship to italy, and other canon/B4 adapters start from 200 euros!
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

simulacro

Quote from: Jackeatley on February 13, 2014, 09:46:40 PM

Can you post some footage to see how the lens behaves with the crop? apart from curiosity, thniking about getting one of those lenses.

I tried centering the crop in liveview with no success. I did a test with an image on the center of the frame. Without moving the focus box with the "q" toggle, leaving it on the center of the frame, if you hit record, the image isn't centered; it's partially off-center to the left. Then I moved the focus box with the toggle 5 times to the left, hit record, and the image appears in the same spot than the centered one. The last one, from the center of the image, moved the rectangle with the toggle 5 times to the right and this time the footage looks off-center to the right. Funny.

Jackeatley

I can post some DNGs tomorrow when its light again in the cold dark UK.

But what i can tell you is that if we can centre the crop the wide end would cover 2000x1080, but at present it causes a hefty vignette at either side, my lens a canon 9.5-143mm will however cover this at 130mm and up with no vignette.

Highest res I can currently get at the wide end is 1728x972 but you can work at single focal lengths only, any zooming and the centering causes the lens to zoom off centre and looks very nasty, zooming out is sometimes OK but doesn't really look right.

But for long tele and wide crop mode it works well for now, and you get a fairly compact cine style lens thats parfocal and constant aperture, normally quick too, mines f1.8. Slight downside being that its really only useful from f3 down due to the softness and aberrations.