50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VideoSauce

Native ISO is the highest such ISO of a camera, at which the analog signal is not amplified before the conversion in digital.

1%

I get nothing from cartoon look 1 and 2, maybe these don't work. I know 3 does... 50D is an early camera maybe those regs aren't present.

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on August 29, 2013, 09:47:00 PM
@menoc - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isco-Iscomorphot-16-2x-Anamorphic-Cinemascope-Lens-/200956832944?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2ec9f5ecb0 right on the money and a seriously nice lens for video. You'll be able to shoot over 2.5k 16:9 with this. I would buy it myself if I could.

Pair it with a Helios 44M-2 or an old Nikon 50mm (as both flare) and you'll get pure Hollywood ;)

Just got a copy of the KMZ Helios 44M from Ukraine . . . Hope it gets here next week ..  :D

paulforte

Quote from: VideoSauce on August 30, 2013, 04:57:22 PM
Native ISO is the highest such ISO of a camera, at which the analog signal is not amplified before the conversion in digital.

Good to know, thanks.

rommex

Quote from: paulforte on August 30, 2013, 04:54:00 PM
... I shot with it at 200 ....

I beg your pardon, what do you smoke?

ISO 800 is the lowest at BMCC, wake up )

rommex

Quote from: menoc on August 30, 2013, 06:12:01 PM
Just got a copy of the KMZ Helios 44M from Ukraine . . . Hope it gets here next week ..  :D

Amazing. I live in Kiev, Ukraine. No one wants these... ))) I tried them on digital cameras... Ridiculous non-sharpness, CA, etc... Why?

PhilK

I was out today shooting in the mountains and when I got back and transfered the raw files to the PC I noticed this.

-rwxrwxrwx    1 1000     1000    838680768 Aug 30 10:58 M30-1059.RAW*
-rwxrwxrwx    1 1000     1000    789201088 Aug 30 10:59 M30-1060.RAW*
-rwxrwxrwx    1 1000     1000    846102720 Aug 30 11:01 M30-1100.RAW*
-rwxrwxrwx    1 1000     1000    264716480 Aug 30 11:01 M30-1101.RAW*

10:60 ??  Shouldn't this have rolled over to 11:00?

Edit:  Tragic Lantern 27.08 build.

riccardocovino

Quote from: rommex on August 30, 2013, 07:06:53 PM
Friday night. Shot with 50D ML:

I think your video is..
oh, thank you Rommex, thank you ;)
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

menoc

Quote from: rommex on August 30, 2013, 06:59:14 PM
Amazing. I live in Kiev, Ukraine. No one wants these... ))) I tried them on digital cameras... Ridiculous non-sharpness, CA, etc... Why?

Sharpness isn't everything in video. The classic "film look" isn't a tac sharp look, it's somewhat out of focus. And BTW, this lens is basically a cheaper copy of the Carl Zeiss Biotar. These lenses have a certain film look to them and beautiful bokeh.

This guy on flicker shot this with an EOS 7D. Pretty nice I'd say . . .

Helios 44M 2/58mm by Mattia Camellini, on Flickr

rommex

Quote from: menoc on August 30, 2013, 09:20:13 PM
These lenses have a certain film look to them and beautiful bokeh.

I see your point. Nice if it works ok for you )

D.L. Watson

Hey folks, here is a testimonial video I shot in Magic Lantern RAW on my 50D. Everything featuring Casey Faris is raw video.

Shot on a Cine Rokinon 85mm, Files transcoded in resolve in 10bit 4.2.2. Cineform, edited in Premiere PRO, and graded in DaVinci Resolve.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

dogmydog

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 31, 2013, 01:47:43 AM
Hey folks, here is a testimonial video I shot in Magic Lantern RAW on my 50D. Everything featuring Casey Faris is raw video.

Shot on a Cine Rokinon 85mm, Files transcoded in resolve in 10bit 4.2.2. Cineform, edited in Premiere PRO, and graded in DaVinci Resolve.

Kewl Video! Nicely Edited.
Too bad it isnt in 1080p, the compression seems to have degraded the image.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

[email protected]

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 31, 2013, 01:47:43 AM

Next...

1%

Ok, so frame shutter timer doesn't work for overriding, gradual expo isn't very gradual. Took those out.

Have to see what's up with zoom to 5x raw center as that isn't working either.

Also appears that despite using ADTG shutter blanking the camera still doesn't want to do over 110 shutter... I can't find why as everything else seems to be able to and I went back to the dual iso build to see if its that way.. it is. Weird.

I took out CPU usage too as a1ex said it slowed down write for him... maybe we'll see an MB more? Thoughts?

D.L. Watson

Quote from: dogmydog on August 31, 2013, 03:09:19 AM
Kewl Video! Nicely Edited.
Too bad it isnt in 1080p, the compression seems to have degraded the image.

Thanks! We sent Rampant Design a 1080p version so I'm not sure why only a 720p, highly compressed version is all that is available.

Quote from: [email protected] on August 31, 2013, 03:26:01 AM
Next...

Well, since you are so eager to see what I have in store next, here you go:

A RAW 50D short film entitled DICHOTOMY. These are some ungraded screenshots. My colorist will be completing the color-grade in Resolve tomorrow. Hopefully will be up by Sunday or Monday.

Ill be posting a tutorial showcasing my workflow on the film as well.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on August 31, 2013, 03:49:43 AM
Ok, so frame shutter timer doesn't work for overriding, gradual expo isn't very gradual. Took those out.

Have to see what's up with zoom to 5x raw center as that isn't working either.

Also appears that despite using ADTG shutter blanking the camera still doesn't want to do over 110 shutter... I can't find why as everything else seems to be able to and I went back to the dual iso build to see if its that way.. it is. Weird.

I took out CPU usage too as a1ex said it slowed down write for him... maybe we'll see an MB more? Thoughts?

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that exposure transitions were very smooth when ETTR was introduced.  ???

re: shutter. I can get up to 1/140 with FPS overide at exact 24p and up to 1/4200 high jello. With FPS override off it goes up to 1/5900. The ADTG shutter thing you mentioned in the ADTG post doesn't seem to get above 1/60 and actually goes to negative values like 1/-3 (never seen that before)

re: disabling task mon. Probably not a bad idea if we get some gains in write speed because we'll need the extra for .mlv

re: snap to 5x raw center. Yes, it's not working correctly and still requires pressing the joystick for framing.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Just changing the reg isn't going to work, the value in there has to be calculated... it should be doing this because of:

#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM   (*(uint16_t*)0x404B5A2C) // ADTG register 105F
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM (*(uint16_t*)0x404B5A30) // ADTG register 1061
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_READ   (lv_dispsize > 1 ? FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM : FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM)
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_WRITE  (lv_dispsize > 1 ? &FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM : &FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM)

All the other cameras go to like 1/2k+ with FPS set to 23.976

Gradual Expo is a different feature than ETTR, its supposed to smooth expo changes in LV/H264,etc.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on August 31, 2013, 06:36:42 AM
Just changing the reg isn't going to work, the value in there has to be calculated... it should be doing this because of:

#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM   (*(uint16_t*)0x404B5A2C) // ADTG register 105F
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM (*(uint16_t*)0x404B5A30) // ADTG register 1061
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_READ   (lv_dispsize > 1 ? FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM : FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM)
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_WRITE  (lv_dispsize > 1 ? &FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM : &FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM)

All the other cameras go to like 1/2k+ with FPS set to 23.976

Gradual Expo is a different feature than ETTR, its supposed to smooth expo changes in LV/H264,etc.

Yep, I'm not much help with this. Over my head  ;D
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dogmydog

Quote from: riccardocovino on August 30, 2013, 08:53:54 PM
I think your video is..
oh, thank you Rommex, thank you ;)

Nice...
Saw it on the iPad, highly compressed artifacts tho. How did you stabilize the shots?
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

Andy600

@1% - Been going through more ADTG regs and the camera was getting hot (not unexpected) but I noticed that temperature warnings are masked by ML. Is there a way to indicated over-temps in the ML overlay or let the Canon one show through?

BTW, for anyone reading this and worrying about their 50D overheating etc. Don't! (unless your shooting in the desert or something). We're doing things you wouldn't normally do when shooting so the overheating is expected to some degree. 

1%

It really needs the warning when FPS becomes 22 and you're trying to record.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on August 31, 2013, 05:43:14 PM
It really needs the warning when FPS becomes 22 and you're trying to record.

Yes, that would be useful

1%

I added the warning (I guess won't help if you're shooting 30fps but who is), see if it trips when your camera overheats. I'm trying to record raw but I've only overheated like 2 or 3 times ever.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on August 31, 2013, 07:16:40 PM
I added the warning (I guess won't help if you're shooting 30fps but who is), see if it trips when your camera overheats. I'm trying to record raw but I've only overheated like 2 or 3 times ever.

Cool :) I'll try and get it to overheat.