50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nachelsoul

I have notice that when you nail exposure, the photo and the video result is about half stop underexposed. If I select constant expo in FPS override the exposure result is right with I saw in LV, but It can use only 100-200 Iso before it flickers. Is there something I do not do right?
I am using 27Jun build, FPS override 24p exact fps, ettr ON, exposure simulation ON, manual lens, M mode.
Sorry to go off topic, but hope 1% knows what happen. Thanks.

rommex

Quote from: 1% on July 06, 2013, 10:09:52 PM
Those speeds are just gain.

Turn off movie recording. Now set a shutter like 32" with expo override on. It will get bright, turn down the aperture and look at the wonderful lines of noise on the screen.

Ok, I see, but a very practical situation:

I'm trying to change shutter speed from 1/25 to 1/50, the value gets stuck somewhere at 1/37 and then ISO starts changing, and I get 800eq on the screen while LCD shows 1600.

Now, what should I do next? How must I understand this quirk?
(LiveView On, ETTR disabled, exp. OVERRIDE ON)

v1rt

Is there a tool that is capable of playing the raw file generated by ML? A 640 pixel wide resolution would be fine. I just need to see what I recorded. Didn't want to extract it and post process it just to see what it is.

Thanks!

Rawolution

Ginger HDR for AE can read RAW w/o conversion...

1%

If override is on it shouldn't be touching ISO.

The problem is finding correct shutter timings because canon keeps changing everything... it alters the shutter timer when you change ISO in movie mode so finding the "real" value is hard. I think I finally did.. 1/60 shows as 1/60.

It also likes setting the shutter timer to 1241 and using other parameters to do expo sim.

I guess next build you can try it... really need to set shutter w/ adtg on this camera.

bitbucket is upgrading

#define TG_FREQ_SHUTTER 38760000 // ShutterT (646) * 60000 ISO 100 1/60.0
    //~ #define TG_FREQ_SHUTTER 74460000 // ShutterT (1241) * 60000 1/30 shows 1/60
    //~ #define TG_FREQ_SHUTTER 37230000 // ShutterT (1241) * 60000 1/60/2

rommex

Thank you, 1%

Looking forward to it having been fixed. If you need me to video shoot the monitor with such specific cases, let me know.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on July 07, 2013, 09:58:19 PM
If override is on it shouldn't be touching ISO.

The problem is finding correct shutter timings because canon keeps changing everything... it alters the shutter timer when you change ISO in movie mode so finding the "real" value is hard. I think I finally did.. 1/60 shows as 1/60.

It also likes setting the shutter timer to 1241 and using other parameters to do expo sim.

I guess next build you can try it... really need to set shutter w/ adtg on this camera.

bitbucket is upgrading

#define TG_FREQ_SHUTTER 38760000 // ShutterT (646) * 60000 ISO 100 1/60.0
    //~ #define TG_FREQ_SHUTTER 74460000 // ShutterT (1241) * 60000 1/30 shows 1/60
    //~ #define TG_FREQ_SHUTTER 37230000 // ShutterT (1241) * 60000 1/60/2

Great work 1% getting the right shutter speed would be awesome..  So all this time the 50D wasn't showing the right shutter?  but still the motion & cadence looks so filmic that might be the magic sauce  8) just saying. 

1%

Its fixed enough... but not perfect. 1/30 exists (you weren't hoping for 1/25 in 30fps mode?), 1/30 canon is actually ~1/31 1/25 is 1/30 since you can't have shutters lower than FPS.

When I set the 1/30 actual I get no movement on my laptop screen so it would appear in sync with the screen.

Canon is really doing something weird in modes like AV/TV... neither aperture or shutter is close to real speeds and in movie mode these settings are completely useless. I.e screen darkens when you move the aperture while the aperture doesn't click.

With expo override its a bit better and things move as they should. However the top wheel only moves real shutter when going backwards an tends to skip one adjustment going forward.

rommex

Quote from: 1% on July 08, 2013, 12:00:39 AM
.....you weren't hoping for 1/25 in 30fps mode?......

))) My only hope was 1/50 @25fps - my main shooting setup in 99% cases.

1%

I can get 1/50.5 right now. 1/50 in High Jello.

djfremen

Anyone have a download link mirror to the current build?
Bitbucket appears to be down.
Thanks,

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on July 08, 2013, 12:00:39 AM
Its fixed enough... but not perfect. 1/30 exists (you weren't hoping for 1/25 in 30fps mode?), 1/30 canon is actually ~1/31 1/25 is 1/30 since you can't have shutters lower than FPS.

When I set the 1/30 actual I get no movement on my laptop screen so it would appear in sync with the screen.

Canon is really doing something weird in modes like AV/TV... neither aperture or shutter is close to real speeds and in movie mode these settings are completely useless. I.e screen darkens when you move the aperture while the aperture doesn't click.

With expo override its a bit better and things move as they should. However the top wheel only moves real shutter when going backwards an tends to skip one adjustment going forward.

All that matters it's that it's close.. I don't think we would even see the difference.  On the 5D Mark II you think the Shutter is exact?

1%

Its probably better, it is on 6D, 600D, etc. In photo mode you're fine but as a video camera  the LV image is what you're actually recording. The shutter is just image blanking so can be checked with something that flashes at set frequencies.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on July 08, 2013, 03:56:35 AM
Its probably better, it is on 6D, 600D, etc. In photo mode you're fine but as a video camera  the LV image is what you're actually recording. The shutter is just image blanking so can be checked with something that flashes at set frequencies.

Got it now great explanation.. How would you say the 50D and 5D Mark II compares in image quality, I'm loving both images over the 5D Mark III. 

a1ex

You can compute exact shutter speeds from ADTG blanking register. No need to guess TG_FREQ_SHUTTER - you get the sensor duty cycle (0-100%), scale it with 1/FPS and that's it.

(and this proves that my previous hypothesis about NTSC TG_FREQ_SHUTTER was wrong on all cameras).

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: a1ex on July 08, 2013, 06:27:38 AM
You can compute exact shutter speeds from ADTG blanking register. No need to guess TG_FREQ_SHUTTER - you get the sensor duty cycle (0-100%), scale it with 1/FPS and that's it.

(and this proves that my previous hypothesis about NTSC TG_FREQ_SHUTTER was wrong on all cameras).

So that means you got the Shutter to work as it should  8)

riccardocovino

Any news on the beep on rec issue?
That's still the only easy solution when you cannot clap hands or boards..
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

1%

QuoteYou can compute exact shutter speeds from ADTG blanking register

I've had no luck finding the address of the register in other cameras.. I can't even find it on 5D3.. I see the XX5F and XX61 which look like they have shutter but either get 1/0 when I use those or just one immobile 1/fps shutter. 5E and 60 addresses from 5D3 don't work.

Quote(and this proves that my previous hypothesis about NTSC TG_FREQ_SHUTTER was wrong on all cameras).

Not exactly wrong but not really right either... they seem to be off by some amount even when calculated from the shutter timer. i.e. 1/48 is 1/47 on 6D. on 50D 1/48 doesn't turn green, etc.

KahL

Finally finished up the fashion film short that I posted still frames from a few pages back. This was done on a previous build (that kept crashing w/ my DP4 EVF plugged in) and gave some great results. It's fully colored as well, but if I get enough requests, I'll post up the uncolored version from the DPX LOG export (with and w/o the base Kodak LUT).

a1ex

Quote from: 1% on July 08, 2013, 04:16:45 PM
I've had no luck finding the address of the register in other cameras.. I can't even find it on 5D3.. I see the XX5F and XX61 which look like they have shutter but either get 1/0 when I use those or just one immobile 1/fps shutter. 5E and 60 addresses from 5D3 don't work.

For 5D2:
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM   (*(uint16_t*)0x404B4110) // ADTG register 105F
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM (*(uint16_t*)0x404B4114) // ADTG register 1061

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: KahL on July 08, 2013, 06:12:51 PM
Finally finished up the fashion film short that I posted still frames from a few pages back. This was done on a previous build (that kept crashing w/ my DP4 EVF plugged in) and gave some great results. It's fully colored as well, but if I get enough requests, I'll post up the uncolored version from the DPX LOG export (with and w/o the base Kodak LUT).

Great video Kahl like the mood, and cinematography.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: a1ex on July 08, 2013, 06:22:37 PM
For 5D2:
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM   (*(uint16_t*)0x404B4110) // ADTG register 105F
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM (*(uint16_t*)0x404B4114) // ADTG register 1061

So that means you found them for the 5D Mrk II..

JBTML

Hello All,

First off thanks for the hard work/community of this forum, really amazing. 

So just got a nice low shutter 50D and loaded up the June 28th build and it's working but a bit strange.  I can only shoot about 400mb of footage before it stops recording. Could this be buffer issues that I could tweak? In addition I just can't seem to be able to change the resolution size beyond the raw default. I have tried but my gray menu says "N/A" and even when I hit function I can't seem to trigger anything new.

I'm sure within the 84 pages of posts the answers are there (and I have looked) but any simple newbie advice would be great.

One thing to know:I picked up the Komputer Bay UDMA7 card that is 128G.  Could this be the problem? Maybe the it should be 64 or maybe UDMA6?

Thanks again in advance

J

krashnik

Quote from: JBTML on July 08, 2013, 09:49:29 PM
One thing to know:I picked up the Komputer Bay UDMA7 card that is 128G.  Could this be the problem? Maybe the it should be 64 or maybe UDMA6?

The 64GB Komputer Bay is faster than the 128.  Also, it is hit or miss with each card, so you can return it if it doesn't do well, however, settings like GlobalDraw & others may be interfering with your speed, too.  Rule of thumb - turn everything off before recording.  Hope this helps.

krashnik

Here's my latest footage of a Bikini Commercial using 50D Raw with June 28th build.  I'm using a 16GB SanDisk Extreme Cards as I knew I wouldn't be shooting more than a few seconds at once.  It worked out well. Edited in After Effects. Lens: Tamron F2.8 17-50mm + Canon f1.8 50mm.