Has anyone being using Transcend Card?
http://www.flipkart.com/item/ACCCZ4FFCENSFKG2

32GB SDHC 20MBps Class 10

Is it suitable for RAW?

Please reply.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP
Knowledge enhances by sharing!
Every moment is a new learning experience!!
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

coolerinc

Quote from: prabhath.mp on October 04, 2013, 08:58:31 PM
Hello All,

Is it suitable for RAW?

Please reply.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP

Hi
I'm using Team 20Mbps card class 10 and continuos record works on 960x540 23.97fps
1280 wide provide ~60-65 frames
Next week I'll get SanDisk 32mb 30Mbps eXtreme Pro and test it for speed ^_^
Maybe this info help

telecastDaveRI

Quote from: prabhath.mp on October 04, 2013, 08:58:31 PM
Hello All,

Is it suitable for RAW?

Please reply.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP

It should be fine. I wouldnt get too caught up on brand names or write speeds. As Rewind mentioned, as long as it is around or faster than 20mbps, you are fine. Definitely stick with the class 10 cards though.

Rewind

Quote from: telecastDaveRI on October 05, 2013, 05:16:35 AM
It should be fine. I wouldnt get too caught up on brand names or write speeds. As Rewind mentioned, as long as it is around or faster than 20mbps, you are fine. Definitely stick with the class 10 cards though.

Yes, but... I have one of these Transcends, and it's real writing speed is about 11-12 Mb/s. So my advise is to search the web for speed tests.

3pointedit

Sorry if this has been answered many times before, but why do i get more recorded frames from standard FOV (with aliasing) but fewer frames from the 5x cropped (1:1)?
550D on ML-roids

prabhath.mp

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the reply :)

I ordered for a 32 GB SanDisk SDHC Class 10 20MBps (I have a 16GB of the same variant and I found it useful for RAW).

:) I am finding it difficult for a workflow on Ubuntu 13.04, however! If any of you guys are using Ubuntu 13.04 please provide your suggestions regarding workflow.

I installed WIne and downloaded RAW2DNG.exe (for Windows). But finding it difficult to decipher the RAW file.

Thanks once again.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

BrotherD

Quote from: prabhath.mp on October 05, 2013, 08:15:19 PM
Hi All,

Thank you so much for the reply :)

I ordered for a 32 GB SanDisk SDHC Class 10 20MBps (I have a 16GB of the same variant and I found it useful for RAW).

:) I am finding it difficult for a workflow on Ubuntu 13.04, however! If any of you guys are using Ubuntu 13.04 please provide your suggestions regarding workflow.

I installed WIne and downloaded RAW2DNG.exe (for Windows). But finding it difficult to decipher the RAW file.

Thanks once again.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP
Try raw2cdng version 1.30. Search for it on this site. It's easy to use.

mine85

Some 18-55mm kit lens action  :) lot's of moiré but that's expected.
CinemaDNG grading done in Resolve with Dennis Schmitz' excellent Teal/Orange LUT: http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?4929-NEW-Lut-TealOrange
5d Mark III, 550d, EF 50mm f/1.8

wolf

Very relaxed sound but the video should be longer.  ;)

mine85

Quote from: wolf on October 09, 2013, 04:47:40 PM
Very relaxed sound but the video should be longer.  ;)

Thanks, I know ;D but I thought I'd rough up a short fast test to see how the T2i dng's handle LUTs in Resolve.
5d Mark III, 550d, EF 50mm f/1.8

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: mine85 on October 09, 2013, 02:47:07 PM
Some 18-55mm kit lens action  :) lot's of moiré but that's expected.
CinemaDNG grading done in Resolve with Dennis Schmitz' excellent Teal/Orange LUT: http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?4929-NEW-Lut-TealOrange

At 0:15 the car is hiccupping ! What's the problem ? It's not my player...
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Yoda

Evening friends.

Note:  Im new to the forum, but not to video/audio production.  If I post something, its because I'm either contributing or I have "searched" and do not have the answer.

That said, I've been following this thread for a while, and decided to cross over to the dark side and grab a dev build for the 550D.

My setup:

Camera:  Rebel T2i, Sandisk 32GB Class 10 card that writes theoretically at 30 mps.
Computer:  2010 Mac Mini dual proc 2.33Ghz, 8GB RAM
Software:  RAW2DNG Utility, Adobe Lightroom 5, FCPX 10.0.0.9, ML build 11174 (noted on the first page of this thread, last entry on the builds section)

So, I was able to "record in RAW", but only at 960x540 at 14 FPS...but it stopped automatically after 10 seconds.   Booooo.....

My question is this:  What settings must I use for the RAW recording module to get 960x540, so I can record continuously at 24FFPS without stopping?

I set the FPS over ride to 14 FPS just to start, using "EXACT FPS" option in the sub menu.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to record 2-3 minutes.

The rest is easy.  I was able to export using RAW2DNG utility, import into Lightroom, and take advantage of all the RAW editing options in Lightroom.  Exporting was just as easy, as well as adjusting in FCPX.

If anyone has answers this this problem, I'd appreciate it.  What I'd like to do to give back, is once I know I can record without stopping, write up a small tutorial on the whole process so folks can follow along, soup-to-nuts, and be able to achieve similar success. 

Im very familiar with the 2.3 ML Stable package, but if we can understand the settings required for RAW....it would be so awesome.

Thanks all.  If anyone has questions on Lightroom 5 or FCPX working with this material, please hit me up.

Cheers,

Yoda
550D
Lenses:  18-55mm IS, 40mm 2.8 USM, EF-L 17-40mm USM f4.0, 50mm f1.4 USM, 50-250mm IS
Software:  FCPX, Logic Pro 9, Adobe Lightroom 5, Motion 5, RAW2DNG, EOS Utility
Hardware:  Rode NT-1A, Mac Mini, Yamaha RX-V3800, Paradigm Studio v5 Towers (biamped), Green Screen

BrotherD

Quote from: Yoda on October 11, 2013, 05:02:37 AM
Evening friends.

Note:  Im new to the forum, but not to video/audio production.  If I post something, its because I'm either contributing or I have "searched" and do not have the answer.

That said, I've been following this thread for a while, and decided to cross over to the dark side and grab a dev build for the 550D.

My setup:

Camera:  Rebel T2i, Sandisk 32GB Class 10 card that writes theoretically at 30 mps.
Computer:  2010 Mac Mini dual proc 2.33Ghz, 8GB RAM
Software:  RAW2DNG Utility, Adobe Lightroom 5, FCPX 10.0.0.9, ML build 11174 (noted on the first page of this thread, last entry on the builds section)

So, I was able to "record in RAW", but only at 960x540 at 14 FPS...but it stopped automatically after 10 seconds.   Booooo.....

My question is this:  What settings must I use for the RAW recording module to get 960x540, so I can record continuously at 24FFPS without stopping?

I set the FPS over ride to 14 FPS just to start, using "EXACT FPS" option in the sub menu.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to record 2-3 minutes.

The rest is easy.  I was able to export using RAW2DNG utility, import into Lightroom, and take advantage of all the RAW editing options in Lightroom.  Exporting was just as easy, as well as adjusting in FCPX.

If anyone has answers this this problem, I'd appreciate it.  What I'd like to do to give back, is once I know I can record without stopping, write up a small tutorial on the whole process so folks can follow along, soup-to-nuts, and be able to achieve similar success. 

Im very familiar with the 2.3 ML Stable package, but if we can understand the settings required for RAW....it would be so awesome.

Thanks all.  If anyone has questions on Lightroom 5 or FCPX working with this material, please hit me up.

Cheers,

Yoda
550D
Lenses:  18-55mm IS, 40mm 2.8 USM, EF-L 17-40mm USM f4.0, 50mm f1.4 USM, 50-250mm IS
Software:  FCPX, Logic Pro 9, Adobe Lightroom 5, Motion 5, RAW2DNG, EOS Utility
Hardware:  Rode NT-1A, Mac Mini, Yamaha RX-V3800, Paradigm Studio v5 Towers (biamped), Green Screen
Yoda, I just did a quick settings test of 960x540, fps override 23.97 and 16x9 framing. The results were continuous shooting. In your camera scroll to raw video, click the Q button (next to WB) then change the framing. You will see the write speed, in green letters, change at the bottom of the screen. Mine read 960x540 (16x9), in white letters and 20.7 MB/s at 23.97 in green letters.

Read through this thread's 44 pages and you will get answers and be blessed by all the work the Magic Lantern team and others have put into shooting raw!

Rewind

Quote from: Yoda on October 11, 2013, 05:02:37 AM

First, you should perform the card benchmark.
Go to ML menu — Debug — Benchmarks — Card R/W benchmark (5 min)

For me it's obvious, your card is too slow.

Yoda

Tried the benchmark.  Camera shuts off after a few frames.  Looks like a bug to me.

Did some research....the 550d has a hardware limit of 20mps.  The card I got says it can write up to 30mps, and it's a class 10.

What is the latest build that is stable?  I'm hesitant to grab the last "nightly build".  Can anyone share which build is working for them?  Also, what card they are using?

Also, if you have a theory....please provide some context in terms of being able to me dre the value of your theory.  Otherwise...ur just guessing.  System Engineers like myself have little fanfare for such bullocks.

Cheers,

Yoda

Yoda

Scratch my comment on debug.  My auto off was set at 30 seconds.  Terribly embarrassing.

I'll post the results after.

Yoda

Yoda

Quote from: BrotherD on October 11, 2013, 07:36:09 AM
Yoda, I just did a quick settings test of 960x540, fps override 23.97 and 16x9 framing. The results were continuous shooting. In your camera scroll to raw video, click the Q button (next to WB) then change the framing. You will see the write speed, in green letters, change at the bottom of the screen. Mine read 960x540 (16x9), in white letters and 20.7 MB/s at 23.97 in green letters.

Read through this thread's 44 pages and you will get answers and be blessed by all the work the Magic Lantern team and others have put into shooting raw!

What card r u using?

My benchmark is running....and the results are consistent thru 5/9 tests so far.

Write speed = 8.9-9.1 MB/s
Read speed = 20-21.1 MB/s

Disappointing to say the least.  From this thread....it sounds like I need something in excess of 20 MB/s.

Anyone use an SDXC card?  Obviously CF won't work.

Cheers again,

Yoda

glubber

"Write speed = 8.9-9.1 MB/s"

are you reffering to the 2nd last row in the benchmark?
I have the same SD-card as below and never had problems with recording raw-videos in 960x540.

Btw. u can use the latest nightly w/o fear  ;D

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/550D.109/67/artifact/platform/550D.109/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Oct11.550D109.zip

Quote from: ecek2 on May 15, 2013, 08:49:21 AM

EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

Yoda

When running the bench mar, it goes thru 9 phases.  At each stop it show my Read Speed and Write Speed for each block the test runs on.  Usually the write speeds were 9.1 MB/s, and read speeds around 20 MB/S.

I also wonder (although doubt) if when using Exposure Override is ON, if any of the additional ISO/Aperture/White Balance settings could contribute to buffer over load causing a crash?

Either way, Im a fan of nightly build now, and will download the latest after Im done with work.  Tech by day, Tech by Night, lol.

Sidenote:  If any of you have never used RAW2DNG for Mac, it is an awesome utility and works lightning fast.  Free to obtain.

Sidenote2:  Post grading DNG files in Adobe Lightroom 5 is equally as fast.  Exported in uncompressed TIFF.

Sidenote3:  IF anyone needs help importing/exporting in FCPX, please message me.  I was able to do this fairly easy, and since color grading is already done, the export process with rendering OFF (meaning NO optimized media) was suprisingly efficient and fast.

Sidenote4:  Found some 5DMK2 camera for $800 on ebay.  Shutter life is 350K actuations.  Since the frame size is much better on these cameras, for those who can afford it, it might be a good idea to invest in one since it's full frame, and a fraction of cost of new 6D.

Cheers.

Yoda

prabhath.mp

Hi All,

Hope you're well

I tired to record RAW on lower resolution and it worked fine. But when I increased resolution, it records few frames and stopped.

What is the optimum setting to record continuously with a little extra resolution?

fxPPC

As lon as you are using a card that can do 20 MB/sec (the limit of the camera) you can do:

16:9  960x540  (this is pushing the camera to its max. don't count on more than 3-4 minute takes)

anything larger and the running time your takes can be plummets.
---------------------------------
5D3, 7D, 550D. Rokinon Cine DS set, Canon L set, wide range of Russian and Contax-converted (Leitax modified) glass.

Yoda

Ok, just bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDXPA-032G-AFFP/dp/B007NDL56A

I'll report back on write speed from benchmark and real life test.  #excited

Yoda

Yoda

Success!

Maxed out write speed at 19.9 MB/s, read speed at 21.1 MB/s.

Was able to record 960x540 16:9 for days.

Tonight I used the EF 50mm 1.4 USM lens for a low light test, but tomorrow, I will take out my 17-40MM EF-L for some wide screen shots in the sunshine by the park.  With the zoom, I should be able to get some nice pics, and in addition, perhaps try some 2.35:1 shots to get some near anamorphic videos.

Fyi, Best Buy is doing price matching.  This card I bought was listed at $97.99, and it is on B&H Photo for $60.67.  Got $30 off.  Good stuff.

Cheers.

Yoda

Yoda

Here is my first video from RAW.  Be sure to watch on "1080P" mode.  Video can be watched at full screen resolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVrrXbsbJiU

Workflow:

Shot at 960x518 2.35:1 ratio, 23.997fps.  RAW file converted to DNG files via RAW2DNG.  Files imported into Adobe Lightroom 5.  Processed one frame, then "sync'd" to rest of frames to have consistent post-processing/color grading.  Exported all frames (all 1879) to .TIFF format.  Created FCPX project at SD 960x540, 23.997fps.  Imported frames into event & project.  All frames set to duration of 00:01.  Created compound clip for grouping.  Exported to "Master File" at Prores 422.  Created 2nd FCPX project at 1080p, 23.997 fps.  Imported "Master File" and resized to 60%.  Exported to 1080p H.264 codec, uploaded to Youtube.  Voila!

I will say this video, shot at ISO 1050, Aperture 1.4, Shutter speed 1/24 (359 degree), had tons of noise prior to processing in Lightroom.  Regained so much of the shadows, and increasing the clarity/vibrancy, using "Luminance" to reduce noise helped tons.

That said, for this one minute video, FCPX was the biggest RAM hog and slow to operate.  My system is dual core,  2.33GHZ with 8GB RAM.  Not the greatest, but not too shabby for a 2010 Mac Mini.  Still beats purchasing an EOS C-100.

As a lesson learned, I might try to export DNG files to .JPG next time.  .TIFF files are huge.  1897 frames with .TIFF amounted to 5GB in files that had to be imported into FCPX.  Grr.....

No sound carried over though.  Will have to explore a mobile sound setup for the future.

Cheers,

Yoda

Yoda

Something for folks to consider.  It is possible to use a 1280x720p workflow with the 550D.  The camera CANNOT record 1280x720p continuos at 24fps, but it CAN record 1280x426 at 24fps (3:1 aspect ratio) for just over a minute.

This is really awesome, because recording in a 3:1 or a 2.67:1 aspect ratio provides the ability to essentially record native anamorphic.  When the RAW file is converted to image sequences, you have a bunch of DNG files at 1280x720.  These files, which in turn, are then imported into an editor like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere, will natively display in "anamorphic"....IF YOU SET YOUR PROJECT to 1280x720p.  This is HUGE...because it means no rendering of any "letterbox" type of effects, and you aren't losing video like you would with a letterbox effect.

Also, for those with slower computers, I highly recommend using .JPG vs. .TIFF when exporting after the color grading in your photo software (e.g. Lightroom, Photoshop, etc).  I exported a set of DNG files to.JPG at 80% quality, and each file came to 637kb.  This is great for the import/stitch process when using your movie software...as the file footprint is not nearly as huge (i.e. less RAM used, faster computer and export processing).  But...the trade off is some loss in image quality (not lots but some).  Still....native anamorphic with color grading IMHO is better than using .h264 standard codec with 720p on the camera board.

If you have the guts and patience, then using .TIFF is the only way to go.  The image quality is top notch.  Just takes a while to render during the import process (regarding your movie software).

For rich folks, Im sure a Mac Pro quad core with 16GB RAM would eat this stuff up alive. 

Cheers.

Yoda