550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mine85

A short 'short' with the intent of exploring Magic Lantern's RAW dynamic range on the 550d. ISO at 800.

5d Mark III, 550d, EF 50mm f/1.8

Adaunn

First test.  Just randomly shot stuff. No resizing no grades other than adobe raw adjustments. Just wish it could just give me a little more vertical resolution. I be a happy camper. Moire a bitch but I can care less at this point. Fun stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfT542OlR_Q

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: mine85 on September 20, 2013, 06:26:00 PM
A short 'short' with the intent exploring Magic Lantern's RAW dynamic range on the 550d. ISO at 800.

Great ! What resolution ? Thanks !  :D
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

mine85

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on September 24, 2013, 12:01:12 PM
Great ! What resolution ? Thanks !  :D

Thanks, I shot at 1728 x 648.
Letterbox & upscale to 1920 x 1080 in Resolve (the default project settings). I was averaging approximately 41 frames per shot on a 32gb Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s

dafassi

Can some one help me.
Why is the video not butter-smooth when panning the camera? And what can i do to make it better (before/after recording)?

Here is the RAW-Shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pT_54mLq0g&feature=youtu.be

Settings:
1920 mode
1152x490
low iso (200-400)
24 fps overwrite
180 degrees shutter
canon 18-135mm 3,5-5,6

recorded on a 80MB/s Class10 SDHC-CARD

jagnje

because it`s a shaky pan?
master your tripod, move slower and more fluid. Otherwise it`s a normal look for 24 fps.

dafassi

No ... maybe my eyes are too sensible :D but its not the shakyness of my hands.
For me it "feels" like a 20fps-clip rendered with 24fps ... like some frames are missing to have a real smooth motion or the motion blur is not correct.

Adaunn

I tried doing 2.5k and got about 20 frames or so. Can't remember. My SD card is a Sony brand maxing out at 19mbs. But I got about one second at 1728 x 1152 at 14 frames. The quality is amazing and I just wish this camera could squeeze a few extra seconds at 24 frames. Neat no matter what. It's been fun but because of the camera's hardware limitations I can't really use it's raw feature for my regular work.

dafassi

Quote from: mine85 on September 20, 2013, 06:26:00 PM
A short 'short' with the intent of exploring Magic Lantern's RAW dynamic range on the 550d. ISO at 800.

WOW like that mine85!

Why is everything so smooth? I mostly have stroboscobic effects. 24p/180° ?

prabhath.mp

Hi All,

Could anyone let me know if the SDHC card mentioned below is compatible for installation of RAW firmware for 550D?

http://www.flipkart.com/item/ACCDAW7EBVCZ87EA

Also, I have a 16GB Class 10 30MBps SanDisk SDHC.

Is that compatible for RAW?

Please suggest some good card that has proven to be worth buying for the propose?

Thanks so much
Knowledge enhances by sharing!
Every moment is a new learning experience!!
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

mine85

Quote from: dafassi on September 26, 2013, 07:42:39 PM
Can some one help me.
Why is the video not butter-smooth when panning the camera? And what can i do to make it better (before/after recording)?

Here is the RAW-Shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pT_54mLq0g&feature=youtu.be

Settings:
1920 mode
1152x490
low iso (200-400)
24 fps overwrite
180 degrees shutter
canon 18-135mm 3,5-5,6

recorded on a 80MB/s Class10 SDHC-CARD

@dafassi Have you tried recording without the fps override?

dafassi

Quote from: prabhath.mp on September 29, 2013, 02:56:52 PM
Hi All,

Could anyone let me know if the SDHC card mentioned below is compatible for installation of RAW firmware for 550D?

http://www.flipkart.com/item/ACCDAW7EBVCZ87EA

Also, I have a 16GB Class 10 30MBps SanDisk SDHC.

Is that compatible for RAW?

Please suggest some good card that has proven to be worth buying for the propose?

Thanks so much

Yes it is! I use the same card with 32GB and it works very good!

Quote from: mine85 on September 29, 2013, 05:42:16 PM
@dafassi Have you tried recording without the fps override?

Nope i never tryed this ... is the relevant for 24FPS in finished movie? I think when i have more frames they will be droped- and when i have less frames the stroboscobic-effect will be more intensive? Wrong?

BUT i have to say- yesterday in the cinema a took a deeper look to the screen and was wondering how much stroboscobic lighting is there!
I never saw this before, maybe because i didnt make 24p shots before :D.

The intersting question is- why does this come? Is it the lighting of objects, is it the aperature setting, is it dof?
Yes i know it has to do with the camera sensor- i mean what is the trick to reduce this effect?

I found out that edges from objects has much less strobosobic effect when there is less light in the background.
This would me, i need a way to have a stronger motionblur on intensive contrasted-areas. Is that right?
How to reduce this effect? Specialy in the scene i attached- what could i do better EXCEPT using a TRIPOD?

THANKS!

Rewind

@dafassi, this stroboscopic effect you are talking about is inavoidable in 24fps shooting. It is always there in all the movies. But! You will almost never see the scene like yours in movies. It is always there is an Object in the scene which stays in frame and picks all your attention. All the pans DP doing are done with some purpose. There are no just pans in movies. It's always a following the object in foreground. And the foreground is the place, where the action happens.
Directing of photography is an art. You obviously just can't pan whatever you want.
24fps is an art. An art of capturing just the information you need as a director, and not All of the information. The less is more of some kind.

But what you can do to avoid this effect is just increase the fps. Use 30 fps for example, it will be much better, but it will look like video, not like film anymore.

dafassi

Rewind thank you!
Thought the same when i saw the movie in the cinema yesterday.

Great- the eos550d is a movie-camera :D, thanks to the ML-Team for that wonderful thing!

prabhath.mp

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply.
Does 550D support a 64GB (or more) capacity SDHC card for recording RAW?

Which brand is optimum/reasonable.

Thanks again
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

Alex546

Thank you for the raw module :)

Please enjoy your new colors:
(No color correction)

SD Card: Transcend SD HC 32 GB
1920p mode
FPS override:23.9 fps
Raw Res: 1344x610 (Upscaled with Instant HD)
max 96 frames

prabhath.mp

Hi Alex,

Could you please provide more information about your SDHC card that was used to record RAW video (I know it's Transcend, however, I could not find details about class; MBps and others) :)

The results are awesome. Also, could you let me know if 550D supports 64GB memory card for recording in RAW?

I am particularly looking for the model in this link: http://www.flipkart.com/item/ACCDAW7EBVCZ87EA

Quote from: Alex546 on September 30, 2013, 01:28:41 PM

Thank you for the raw module :)

Please enjoy your new colors:
(No color correction)

SD Card: Transcend SD HC 32 GB
1920p mode
FPS override:23.9 fps
Raw Res: 1344x610 (Upscaled with Instant HD)
max 96 frames

dafassi

This is my 1st RAW-Clip.
To give you the best quality i uploaded the 200MB-File to my homepage.
I know- its shaky handeld.

http://df-vfx.de/?post_type=videogallery&p=111

Loading may take a while if you have low speed conections.

prabhath.mp

Hi All,

Does 550D support 64GB card? http://www.flipkart.com/item/ACCDAW7EBVCZ87EA

In most posts I have only come across 32GB Memory cards; please could anyone advise?

After reading information in this thread, I understand that the camera's hardware does not support write speed beyond 20MBps. So according to my understanding, any SD Card that has speed greater than or equal to 20MBps should give optimum results (please correct me if I am wrong here) :)

The one I am considering to purchase is a SanDisk Ultra SDXC 64 GB 30MB/S Class 10 Memory Card (please follow link above).

Would appreciate all your help/advice/suggestions in this regard.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP

Bangalore, India

Klask

Hi All)
Who know, what t2i maximum write speed?
I have SanDisk Extreme Pro card with 90MB/s write speed and 95MB/s read speed, but during the record i take bufferoverload and 20MB/s max speed..

Rewind

Quote from: Klask on October 02, 2013, 05:35:50 PM
Hi All)
Who know, what t2i maximum write speed?
I have SanDisk Extreme Pro card with 90MB/s write speed and 95MB/s read speed, but during the record i take bufferoverload and 20MB/s max speed..
You answered your question. By the way, take a look at this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0

Klask

coolerinc

Hey, guys
does 550D support UHS-I cards?
What is the best SDHC for Raw Video to buy? Which parameter is more important (read/write speed)?
I look on these cards:
SanDisk SDHC HD Video 32GB eXtreme Class 10 read/write :30/30 (cost 50 euro)
Kingston SDHC 32GB Class 10 read/write :60/35 (cost 42 euro)

prabhath.mp

Hi All,

Hope you're well.

I still haven't been able to decide on best (effective/efficient) SD card for 550D.

Could anyone please help me?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,
Prabhath MP

Rewind

Whatever card with write speed faster than 20Mb/s will work fine.