550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carniolus

Thanks BrotherD.
Yes I tryed also some other Aspect ratio, but not enough I guess. Thank you very much for the tip with Eyeframe.

zuzukasuma

in a complicated relationship with eos m.

zuzukasuma

Quote from: robinson brothers on September 09, 2013, 05:52:46 PM
Would this help with Up scaling? This news just came out.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-at-ibc-2013/after-effects-cc-detailpreserving-upscale/

actually the software (nuke) way more expensive than complete CC suite. but it can help for resizing RAW footage to full-hd, even CS6 helps to resize it to 1080p
in a complicated relationship with eos m.

jagnje

robinson brothers

No Problem.  I can't wait to try this out and Premiere CC Oct. Update will have native CDNG so you can edit RAW on the timeline and send the project file to speedgrade and back to premiere http://adobe.ly/183tLWJ

synden

Can't find the RAW video option on the ML_550D_Dual_ISO_Aug_25_2013_Update.zip release. Anyone who can help me to enable it?

glubber

Have you enabled the raw modules?
Then you should find it at the bottom line of the Movie menu.
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

synden

Quote from: glubber on September 11, 2013, 01:11:46 PM
Have you enabled the raw modules?
Then you should find it at the bottom line of the Movie menu.

Yeah saw it just after I posted it. Had to load the modules. Lulz. Thanks!

Haeri

Hy everyone. This is my very first post in here so be nice pls;)

I was wondering about the whole RAW on the 550D thing. Is it even worth mentioning? - As I tested it, I was able to record with my 15mbs card somewhere about 900x300  continuously. In the hype of being able to record RAW I was about to buy the Sandisc 95mbs card. But turns out the camera internal writing speed is maxed at 21mbs. this means: The maximum resolution one can get RAW is somewhere about 1152x432. This is .. ehm... very little. So here is my point: Even though the RAW has a slighter sharper image, the H264 can go more than double the resolution (1920x1080) which makes that one RAW-sharper benefit not even worth mentioning.
Now I know that it sounds very harsh and disrespectful to those guys working on this project, which is really the opposite of what I was trying to achieve. In fact I am a big fan and was reading and using Magic lantern since the very first days.
At the end of the day we all have the same goal: to get a better looking image. But from what I can see, the RAW solution does not offer a better image quality in it's current state. So what I am trying to say is: Whats the point in shooting a squeezed VGA resolution Raw? - I know this forum is exactly about trying to make the impossible possible, but from what I have heard, I think that we have reached the limits of the 550D..
Please reply if I am wrong, because I really wish to be so.

Apologies for my bad english.
Haeri

Rewind

Raw is not only about sharpness. It is about color detail and fidelity, dynamic range, post grade possibilities and overall feel.
I've been succesfully shooting 1200x496 (2.4:1 cinemascope) on 550d. This is the quality of an usual blue ray rip. Enough for home made demo-versions of any project.

If you really love what you're doing, you're just doing it with what you have.
Dont complaining, don't hesitate. Just go out and shoot some fu..ing raw, man.

3pointedit

I think that the bigger drawback is crop factor to get away from moire and false colors. I didn't really want a 4/3rds camera  :P

550d raw is great for testing but hard to shoot coverage without access to wide shots.
550D on ML-roids

Soupertrooper

Quote from: 3pointedit on September 12, 2013, 05:03:37 AM
I think that the bigger drawback is crop factor to get away from moire and false colors. I didn't really want a 4/3rds camera  :P

550d raw is great for testing but hard to shoot coverage without access to wide shots.

Widest I have gotten on the 550d is 16mm, with a 10-20 sigma or 10-22 canon. Moire sucks though.

mine85

Obligatory test footage  ;D testing exposure
Info: 550d, 50mm 1.8mm. 1728 x 786, averaging 33 frames on a Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s 32GB auto ETTR

Thanks
5d Mark III, 550d, EF 50mm f/1.8

synden

Quote from: Haeri on September 11, 2013, 06:55:28 PM
Hy everyone. This is my very first post in here so be nice pls;)

I was wondering about the whole RAW on the 550D thing. Is it even worth mentioning? - As I tested it, I was able to record with my 15mbs card somewhere about 900x300  continuously. In the hype of being able to record RAW I was about to buy the Sandisc 95mbs card. But turns out the camera internal writing speed is maxed at 21mbs. this means: The maximum resolution one can get RAW is somewhere about 1152x432. This is .. ehm... very little. So here is my point: Even though the RAW has a slighter sharper image, the H264 can go more than double the resolution (1920x1080) which makes that one RAW-sharper benefit not even worth mentioning.
Now I know that it sounds very harsh and disrespectful to those guys working on this project, which is really the opposite of what I was trying to achieve. In fact I am a big fan and was reading and using Magic lantern since the very first days.
At the end of the day we all have the same goal: to get a better looking image. But from what I can see, the RAW solution does not offer a better image quality in it's current state. So what I am trying to say is: Whats the point in shooting a squeezed VGA resolution Raw? - I know this forum is exactly about trying to make the impossible possible, but from what I have heard, I think that we have reached the limits of the 550D..
Please reply if I am wrong, because I really wish to be so.

Apologies for my bad english.
Haeri

In other words, it doesn't make any difference if I use a 45mb/s or a 95mb/s sd card? I will still have the same max resolution on the 550D?

EDIT: Does it matter if I have 1080p@24 or 720@50/60 with FPS override? Will the 720 make me get better resolution.
'Cause I can get the right shutter speed with 1080p@24. When I use 720p@50/60 I cant get the 180 degree shutter speed. Any ideas?

kpn

Quote from: synden
In other words, it doesn't make any difference if I use a 45mb/s or a 95mb/s sd card? I will still have the same max resolution on the 550D?

EDIT: Does it matter if I have 1080p@24 or 720@50/60 with FPS override? Will the 720 make me get better resolution.
'Cause I can get the right shutter speed with 1080p@24. When I use 720p@50/60 I cant get the 180 degree shutter speed. Any ideas?

Yeah, it doesn't matter, because 550D internal write speed maxes out at about 21MB/s
When I set 720 in Canon menu and FPS override to 24 I can't set shutter more then 1/40 either. Don't know why.
But that way the image is a little bit squeezed but you can stretch it in AE. I get more frames recorded in 720, the only problem is the slow shutter. No idea how to fix it.

glubber

In theory: YES!
Some are able to shoot more frames with a given resolution by using card xy from brand xyz than me.
I own a 95 mb/s and a 30mb/s from Transcend and a class 10 noname SD-Card. But no significant differnence in performance.

When using 720p be beware that the frame is squeezed in vertical resolution!
In fps override set your desired fps (i.e. 24 fps or 23.976) and choose "low jellow" for 180° shutter.

Edit: I'm not shure if its REAL 180° or somewhere near. I believe the displayed shutterspeed in screenoverlay is wrong.

synden

Quote from: glubber on September 12, 2013, 01:34:51 PM
In theory: YES!
Some are able to shoot more frames with a given resolution by using card xy from brand xyz than me.
I own a 95 mb/s and a 30mb/s from Scandisk and a class 10 noname SD-Card. But no significant differnence in performance.

When using 720p be beware that the frame is squeezed in vertical resolution!
In fps override set your desired fps (i.e. 24 fps or 23.976) and choose "low jellow" for 180° shutter.

Edit: I'm not shure if its REAL 180° or somewhere near. I believe the displayed shutterspeed in screenoverlay is wrong.

Okey, thank you so much for that information. I will try the low jellow also for the 180 shutter.
And what I can see if that if I set the camera to like 720p@60fps I can get higher resolution than if I use 1080p@24fps. Don't know, but the quality for scaling up to 720 or 1080p would be the same? Anyone who have made any tests? Otherwise I will try next week to make some tests and see if I can tell any difference.

EDIT: How much is it squeezed in vertical? How much do I need to correct for it?

buffalohill

Quote from: 1% on June 04, 2013, 07:20:33 PM
Not likely.

Why not?

I've been thinking the same, shouldn't monochrome be about 1/3 of the data stream of color, so in theory you should be able to go at least up to 720p continuous monochrome at 20 Mb/s, right? Maybe higher with some tricks? Any 'official' input from anyone on monochrome RAW on the 550d?

kpn

Aright, I did some tests

Both shots are 1280x544 2.35:1

24FPS @1080 Canon Menu. 172 Frames before skipping.
http://i.imgur.com/YhKlF04h.jpg

24FPS [used Hi Jello Exact FPS to get 180 shutter] @720 Canon Menu. 2364 Frames (!!!) before skipping. Just have to stretch it vertically to get the normal dimensions
http://i.imgur.com/c7JNZe5h.jpg

720 image looks a little bit squeezed even though it's been stretched to the same dimensions. Stretched it 141% vertically. Im blown away by the increase of frames captured and thanks for the tip for achieving 180 shutter.

EDIT: I stretched it by 167% vertically to get the same exact crop as 1080.
http://i.imgur.com/y5BJZGK.jpg

jagnje

Have you viewed the footage taken at 720p raw? I have been playing around with this for the past 2 days and the amount of moire and CA makes it pretty much unusable, but I can take more than 2000fps at 13?? something something resolution. I would only use this shoothing in a dark room...any spikes of light ruin the shot.

carniolus

@kpn - thanks for the test. I am wondering what exactly is Hi Jello Exact FPS and where can I set it? Thanks.

glubber

You have 3 option choosing shutterspeed with FPSoverride:

low light - almost 360° or as slow as it can get)
low jellow - 180° shutter, f.e. 1/48 s with 24 fps
hi jellow - exact fps, possibility to finetune fps and shutterspeed

for more info on shutter angle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_disc_shutter

dafassi

Thank you for sharing your trys!
In 1st View both pics seems to be same.
But when you zoom a little bit you will See color artifacts.
Recording in 720p mode could give you more frames because its squeezed?
When resizing to have correct proportions you will have less quality.