550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleeperNinja

Quote from: tactzer0 on June 05, 2013, 07:25:57 AM
My first try at RAW video with 5x zoom and kit lens zoomed all the way out to 18mm.

Description: 1:1 crop from sensor so there's no aliasing or moire from line skipping. Recorded @ 1024x448 and upscaled with Instant HD to 1280x560.  Minor color correction and sharpening in ACR.  Shot with the crappy kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm).

Any one else getting the pink corrupted frames more in 5x mode?  Is there any way to get the box to display right in 5x mode?

Update: As soon as I posted this here, YouTube removed the 720p option...

Update 2: YouTube removed the 720p option at 1280x560 so I resized this one to 1646x720 in After Effects in High Quality hoping YouTube would keep the 720p option this time.  Embed code linked to new video.

I grade in Camera Raw, then import tiff files into Quicktime Pro--when I export from Quicktime Pro (ProRes4444), I have the option of maintaining the aspect by letterbox--you could preserve the 720p option by doing that.

You could even just open the cropped video, and use the same process to add the bars.

BrotherD

Quote from: keba on September 01, 2013, 01:53:32 PM
Dear telecastDaveRI,
I do have same request as NedB. Hope that you can share a bit about your success. Thanks!

BTW, while recording using live view i can zoom 5x but 10x make my camera crash immediately, so how can we do the proper focus without zoom in and how to back to normal view after 5x zoom (as above 10x crash)

Keba hit the menu button to exit the 5x mode.

Derrick

xmikefloodx

I just got a little something together finally

http://youtu.be/7UpIWQIiaN0

i really hope someone makes a controller to get a higher write speed into the t2i

jagnje

did anyone use magic bullet instant HD with raw video yet? probably yes... :)

synden

Too lazy to look through all 41 pages. Anyone who can be a nice boy/girl and link download for a full working RAW video ML for 550D? Also a quick little guide. Or is it just to install like the regular ML? Thanks guys :)

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: synden on September 07, 2013, 11:27:26 AM
Too lazy to look through all 41 pages. Anyone who can be a nice boy/girl and link download for a full working RAW video ML for 550D? Also a quick little guide. Or is it just to install like the regular ML? Thanks guys :)

... Even too lazy to read the first post ?  :'(
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

synden

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on September 07, 2013, 12:13:37 PM
... Even too lazy to read the first post ?  :'(

I read the first page and downloaded MK11174's latest build with DUAL ISO. Was just wondering if that one works, if it's stable and how long and good clips you get? And if it's just to install it like the regular ML build without RAW? Is there any installation guide?
Would appreciate if people could say which build they use for their videos and so on :)

jagnje

I was in the same boat as you 3 days ago and I downloaded the same build and it all works just as the previous version.
Haven`t tried the dual iso yet, and can`t really comment on lenghts of the raw, because I just did a couple of test shots. But so far, for what I film(skateboarding) raw will probably not be something to use all the time. The crop, kills it. Othervise it looks good, just as long your not glued to the screen, step a couple steps back and it looks better than h.264 full HD.
But as I said, crop, no playback, not being able to erase clips on camera and the fact that a 16gb card would be filled in a couple of minutes are the drawbacks. I was scouting the net the other day and saw that someone developed a software for 550d to record 2 and 4k video, but it seem that it was a hoax. That would be something I would be interested in very much and 120fps :)
daydreaming :D
Short...I would use raw to show off to friends, as far as youtube and vimeo goes, most will not notice the diference. At least not for the type of filming I do.

telecastDaveRI

Quote from: synden on September 07, 2013, 12:25:16 PM
I read the first page and downloaded MK11174's latest build with DUAL ISO. Was just wondering if that one works, if it's stable and how long and good clips you get? And if it's just to install it like the regular ML build without RAW? Is there any installation guide?
Would appreciate if people could say which build they use for their videos and so on :)

The build mentioned in the video is a little old, but you can download the newest one from the first post as mentioned.

synden

Quote from: jagnje on September 07, 2013, 03:47:17 PM
I was in the same boat as you 3 days ago and I downloaded the same build and it all works just as the previous version.
Haven`t tried the dual iso yet, and can`t really comment on lenghts of the raw, because I just did a couple of test shots. But so far, for what I film(skateboarding) raw will probably not be something to use all the time. The crop, kills it. Othervise it looks good, just as long your not glued to the screen, step a couple steps back and it looks better than h.264 full HD.
But as I said, crop, no playback, not being able to erase clips on camera and the fact that a 16gb card would be filled in a couple of minutes are the drawbacks. I was scouting the net the other day and saw that someone developed a software for 550d to record 2 and 4k video, but it seem that it was a hoax. That would be something I would be interested in very much and 120fps :)
daydreaming :D
Short...I would use raw to show off to friends, as far as youtube and vimeo goes, most will not notice the diference. At least not for the type of filming I do.

Quote from: telecastDaveRI on September 07, 2013, 06:09:05 PM
The build mentioned in the video is a little old, but you can download the newest one from the first post as mentioned.

Okey, thanks guys. I will try to install the latest one. Just pop it in and try it and follow a video tutorial for install. Do I need to care about the text on the first page:
"Current state-of-the-art :

Problem : Raw video recording works, finally !...." about all the steps and so on?

SleeperNinja

That was a tad hostile.  ;D

If you produce to blu-ray, you have to produce a full 1920x1080 frame, and the suggestion solves the youtube problem, as well. I understand your dismay with letterbox, but I suggest withholding your judgment until you understand why such things exist, rather than making noob comments to someone who is here to help you.
Quote from: tactzer0 on September 06, 2013, 05:33:09 AM
I found out later that YouTube just says 480p but if you view the stats it'll say 1280x536 or w/e but anyway... I HATE EVERYTHING about what you just said.  Letterboxing is the fucking worst shit you can do.  It fucks up everything because you can't assume aspect ratio.  NEVER add black bars. Thanks anyway lol

RenatoPhoto

Before this heads in the wrong direction, please remember to cool your engines and keep personal stuff to PM, emails or other personal communication device.  Do not put it on this board to keep the thread useful.
Thanks
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Adaunn

Might as well register. I was getting ready to sell this camera till I went forth and tried ML. Installed it with really no issues and I'm loving it. Can't shoot much till my new fast SD card shows up. I went with the Sony SDHC, 45mbs card. Should be enough and the price was just right.

carniolus

Hello guys!

I am new here. I`ve decided to test out one of my cameras and in this case EOS 550d. I made a short movie and it is my first test of making Raw video. I`ve squeezed out a max from this camera at the moment. Here are some data:

Lense; Sigma 30 mm f/1.4
SD Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s

Settings;
Aspect ratio; 1728x864; 2:1
Shooting in 23,976 Full HD mode

I had no bad frames. The big issue here is that in this settings I can get out only 24 frames and than camera stops shooting. I slowed the footage down to 60 % of original.

I`ve recorded arround 60 videos and with DOS extration method I have a couple of hours of work just to extracting these files. Is there some other - faster method than this? I would be very glad for any kind of information...

Somewhere I`ve noticed  that writing speeds of SD card system in EOS 550d is max to 30 MB/sec. Is this true? In this case I will have to wait for some stable version of ML for my Canon 7D to do RAW with 1000x CF card. Because in this case it is not appropriate to work serious.

Here you can see my work:

I did not put a lot of effort to editing this work, but anway what do you think?  :)
Cheers from Slovenia!

jagnje

I was under the impression that raw playback works on a 550d...mine doesn`t. Does it work with any of the builds?

jagnje

I only got raw, ettr and dual iso modules to enable? am I missing it in some submenu?
edit: ok, figured it out :)

buffalohill

Tis might be a stupid question, but taking into account the limitations of the d550, would it be possible to shoot 1080p RAW in black and white? Is there such a method available? Could it be implemented? I'm interested in B/W filming and if possible, then the d550 could be ideal. From my limited technological understanding I'd assume that the data stream would be ~ 1/3 of that of color, so at least 720 RAW should be possible continuously, no? Any thoughts...?

jagnje

I fuguered out that playback is in raw menu. With file manager can you delete files as well?

jagnje

BrotherD

Quote from: carniolus on September 08, 2013, 08:28:46 PM
Hello guys!

I am new here. I`ve decided to test out one of my cameras and in this case EOS 550d. A make a short movie and it is my first test of making Raw video. I`ve squeezed out a max from this camera at the moment. Here are some data:

Lense; Sigma 30 mm f/1.4
SD Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s

Settings;
Aspect ratio; 1728x864; 2:1
Shooting in 23,976 Full HD mode

I had no bad frames. The big issue here is that in this settings I can get out only 24 frames and than camera stops shooting. I slowed the footage down to 60 % of original.

I`ve recorded arround 60 videos and with DOS extration method I have a couple of hours of work just to extracting these files. Is there some other - faster method than this? I would be very glad for any kind of information...

Somewhere I`ve noticed  that writing speeds of SD card system in EOS 550d is max to 30 MB/sec. Is this true? In this case I will have to wait for some stable version of ML for my Canon 7D to do RAW with 1000x CF card. Because in this case it is not appropriate to work serious.

Here you can see my work:

I did not put a lot of effort to editing this work, but anway what do you think?  :)
Cheers from Slovenia!

Very nice composition and images! Have you tried any other settings? I shot a music video Friday with some settings recommended on this site: menu, 720, Magic Lantern frame override 23.97, 1200x344. I like having many shooting option with ML.

I use Eyeframe. Open, drop raw files in, give it "20" seconds to ask for file location for the dng's and tiff's. Select folder. Pictures of tiff's show up in box. If you need proxies click convert and select type of proxy from pull down menu. I think Eyeframe is fast but I have not compared it to another program or an expert on the "best" program to use.