550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samhodge

Quote from: telecastDaveRI on July 15, 2013, 04:51:07 PM

Sam, your card should be fine. That is strange that you are only getting 8Mb/s in the camera. I have a pny (I believe) 35Mb/s card from some retail chain store (best buy, walmart, I forget...) and it usually getting around 19.5Mb/s. (by the way, don't expect much more than that. If you do switch brands, you don't necessarily have to get anything that is extremely fast as the camera can't output that fast. I assume you have the 550d.

Yes I have a Canon 550D, with a 18-200mm lens.

Yeah seems like it might be a dud card.

It is only doing 6MB/s write in the reader in my iMac.

I have a warranty claim in the SanDisk and they are being pretty helpful.

But now I know how easy it is I am starting to watch the price of a 50D on ebay.

One thing i am interested about is does the EXIF or meta data come across with a RAW recording into the DNG files.

It would be nice to know focal lengths and stuff (ISO, EV etc) of the end images, which could help with turnover of footage, otherwise you are going to need some pretty accurate pen and paper records while you shoot.

sam

3pointedit

I am not near my 550D at the moment, but can we record RAW while in 640 crop? I thought that was 1 -1 pixel crop mode, just wonder if we get better res but I'm not sure if we loose all the pixels around it (640 + ).
550D on ML-roids

glubber

Yes you can record in 640x480 crop, it's almost the same as x5 zoom crop.
The max resolution is a bit higher than 480, but not much (My 550D is not near at the moment too  :P )

BTW: I'm reading the forum almost every day, but somehow i lost track of the newest updates...
Just to be sure:
The latest RAW-build for 550D is in the regular nightlys?
And the newest rad2dng.exe is from marekk over at the 60D-Threat?

Thx
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

JuanIrache

Here's some stubborn testing. I think the results are quite useful, with some issues here and there (moiré, obvious twixtoring...).

I haven't tried upscaling it to 1920 yet (can't keep the res on Vimeo anyway).

maverick891

The last build here was posted on June 26th. No updates since then or is there a nightly thread which I am missing?

lotusexcelle

Just started testing latest build on my t2i.  I've only been able to get about 7 seconds at 1200x400 but that isn't bad, all things considered.  I also did a quick workflow trial run and found it to be insanely clunky - I hope 3rd parties build plugins that make it easier to deal with.  For now it is merely laborious. 

I'm interested (and will be following this thread) in how far the t2i can be pushed in terms of usable 24fps resolution.  I'm also interested in color bit depth - I'm finding information that seems to conflict.  My DNG files are 8 bit?  Is this normal for the t2i output?  Just a minor question and I'm not *really* looking for an answer in this thread. 

I AM however so impressed and excited with what everyone at ML and the others who work on these things... well I'm just about having seizures.  It is mind-blowing to me that hardware can be pushed this far... and what makes it even cooler is that its people that obviously love these cameras, love "tinkering", and love film. 
best raw so far: 1200x400 - 428 frames.
t2i
Leica and Samyang glass

Kim.dh

Quote from: JuanIrache on July 17, 2013, 02:21:27 AM
Here's some stubborn testing. I think the results are quite useful, with some issues here and there (moiré, obvious twixtoring...).

*snip*

I haven't tried upscaling it to 1920 yet (can't keep the res on Vimeo anyway).

Dig the video (two of my favorite cities). What was your workflow?

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: lotusexcelle on July 17, 2013, 08:19:11 PM
My DNG files are 8 bit?  Is this normal for the t2i output?  Just a minor question and I'm not *really* looking for an answer in this thread. 

They are exactly 14 bit of real bit depth. You can treat it as 16 bit because there we go at powers of two, but the real depth is 14 bit
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

JuanIrache

Quote from: Kim.dh on July 17, 2013, 09:57:25 PM
Dig the video (two of my favorite cities). What was your workflow?

Cheers.

Most shots are 1280 1:1.39 ratio 23.976fps and shutter as close to 180º as possible (174º usually) + some cheap ND filters. Extracted with Batchelor (to save time) and imported to After Effects with ACR. No further colour correction.

The wider shots are 1728 at 11.988fps and 90º shutter, twixtored to 50%. I discarded footage with obvious Twixtor artifacts (most of it).

PS. Which cities? Cairo should be there as well, but I stayed at the airport because of the current situation :(.

Kim.dh

Quote from: JuanIrache on July 18, 2013, 03:48:38 AM
Cheers.

Most shots are 1280 1:1.39 ratio 23.976fps and shutter as close to 180º as possible (174º usually) + some cheap ND filters. Extracted with Batchelor (to save time) and imported to After Effects with ACR. No further colour correction.

The wider shots are 1728 at 11.988fps and 90º shutter, twixtored to 50%. I discarded footage with obvious Twixtor artifacts (most of it).

PS. Which cities? Cairo should be there as well, but I stayed at the airport because of the current situation :(.
That's pretty much the workflow I use, except I do the cuts in premiere using a low quality proxy, open it in AE and replace with dngs through ACR.

Sydney (lived there for five years) and Bangkok (spent a few weeks at Thammasat University) - but back in Oslo now missing the southern climate.

lotusexcelle

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on July 17, 2013, 11:53:29 PM
They are exactly 14 bit of real bit depth. You can treat it as 16 bit because there we go at powers of two, but the real depth is 14 bit

Very much appreciated!  Still kind of stunned this camera can handle this stuff.  Just have to get my workflow nailed down.
best raw so far: 1200x400 - 428 frames.
t2i
Leica and Samyang glass

hdx

Quote from: maverick891 on July 17, 2013, 03:08:59 PM
The last build here was posted on June 26th. No updates since then or is there a nightly thread which I am missing?

This is the version I'm using (I do not have skill to compile source code myself) and it gives me a lot of corrupted DNG's after shooting silent pic timelapse.

Can someone post newer, compiled version?

marregi

I´m using 26th june version with the raw_rec.mo from this 5D2 version http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5533.0 (just replace the raw rec file) , no such a great improvement or longer recording, but the black frames are amazing for framing.

johnhenryrupe

Hello, long time listener, first time caller.

I have a 550D (t2i) and have been messing around with the RAW video. Amazing to say the least. I've been through the forums and still have a few questions maybe someone could clear up.

1. I've been seeing talk about "line skipping" and shooting in "crop mode". Does this apply to the 550d. If so which is better to shoot with as far as the canon video settings (1920x1080 24p/30p, 1280x720 60p, or the 640 modes)? I'm experimenting with the RAW resolutions to find the best it can output to, I like 960x540, and 1280x426 @ 24fps.

2. moire! I'm getting alot, any thoughts?

3. Kinda related to the first question. It seems people are zooming in (x5) in liveview and then recording. Does this apply to the 550d, or the other higher end canons?

Anyway, any input would be great. I'm already getting wonderful results. I've been scaling everything to 720 width and things are going great, but of course I wanna get the best picture as possible.

Thanks and here's some links to tests I have on youtube.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: johnhenryrupe on July 21, 2013, 08:49:06 PM
1. I've been seeing talk about "line skipping" and shooting in "crop mode". Does this apply to the 550d. If so which is better to shoot with as far as the canon video settings (1920x1080 24p/30p, 1280x720 60p, or the 640 modes)? I'm experimenting with the RAW resolutions to find the best it can output to, I like 960x540, and 1280x426 @ 24fps.

Yes, it applies to 550D too. Crop mode (shooting by engaging first 5x zoom mode) is best, because there is no line skipping as in other modes, but it's very zoomed in, so there are pros and cons.

2. moire! I'm getting alot, any thoughts?

You can slightly defocus in post (worse method) or use a filter on the sensor (best method). You can search for "vaf filter" in internet, and on the post where all the cameras ML capabilities are listed: open the spreadsheet and read on the bottom right, near to the legend. Using crop mode (aid method) aids to mitigate the problem. Also, higher the resolution, less the moirè effect.

3. Kinda related to the first question. It seems people are zooming in (x5) in liveview and then recording. Does this apply to the 550d, or the other higher end canons?

Yes, this applies also to 550D and produces "crop mode" results as per answer [1]
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Rewind

Recieved one Vaf-Txi filter recently. It fits perfectly, but that's the only good news ))
When switching on / entering LV mode, shutter pops, camera gives me an Err 20 and stops.

Has anyone the same experience with 550d and vaf-txi ?

johnhenryrupe

dlrpgmsvc

Thanks for the information. Especially clearing up the x5 crop situation. I did end up reading all the 34 pages on this thread and that also answered my questions. Recommend doing the same to anyone that is having issues, definitely worth your time. Didn't mean to repeat questions already asked but the x5 zoom thing just seemed counter-intuitive to me, but hey whatever works! Keep up the fantastic work everyone.

Cheers

Soupertrooper

Quote from: Rewind on July 22, 2013, 04:44:46 PM
Recieved one Vaf-Txi filter recently. It fits perfectly, but that's the only good news ))
When the mirror goes down and hits the filter, camera gives me an Err 20 and stops.

Has anyone the same experience with 550d and vaf-txi ?

You should talk to the company you bought it from. VAF filters are expensive and if they're selling them at high prices they should work without messing with the mirror.

blazraidr

Another test with RAW video. Shot using kit lens 55-250mm, in 5x zoom mode.

720p in 3:1 ratio, recorded at 23.976 fps until buffer filled up. Utilised Auto ETTR to get the most usable data from RAW.

Seb86

@blazraidrout

Can you PLEASSSE explain how you can use the 5x zoom mode while filming Raw video?

I tried it but couldn't figure it out...

ilguercio

Quote from: Seb86 on July 25, 2013, 04:49:36 AM
@blazraidrout

Can you PLEASSSE explain how you can use the 5x zoom mode while filming Raw video?

I tried it but couldn't figure it out...
How? Put in 5x zoom and start recording...
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Seb86

Quote from: ilguercio on July 25, 2013, 04:53:11 AM
How? Put in 5x zoom and start recording...

That doesn't work for me.

I go to "Prefs" and "LiveView zoom tweaks" and disable 10x, so that only 5x is on. Then I load the raw rec module.

Maybe that's the wrong way...

ilguercio

Are you setting LV to be in 5x mode?
I mean, are you magnifying the LV frame?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Seb86

Quote from: ilguercio on July 25, 2013, 05:07:50 AM
Are you setting LV to be in 5x mode?
I mean, are you magnifying the LV frame?

Oh..now I found out. I have to press the "+" button on the camera. :-D