550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuanIrache

Quote from: pavelpp on June 26, 2013, 09:06:34 PM
People using twixtor - is interpolating 18fps to 24 a big deal? Will the result look acceptable?

12 to 24 should be better. I wouldn't use it at all if the image has much movement.

sletts02

Hi all,

I am relatively new to ML and would love to have RAW video on my 550D! Do we have a tutorial on how to install it, or is it the same process as the regular ML that I have?

Is ML RAW video on the 550D stable enough for continous recording (3-5mins)?

This is the kind of video that I would be using it for:

CharlieA56

Quote from: Rewind on June 26, 2013, 09:22:09 PM
Sometimes results are acceptable, even with lots of blurred moving objects, but tweaking the twixtor may be really tricky:
http://youtu.be/tNSh3XctUl0
http://youtu.be/AHLABuolFOY
but i doubt you can shoot the action-movie with this technique )

Can you show us a screen capture of the configuration you're using on Twixtor for this ?
Thanx a lot !
Canon 6D, Canon 60D, Canon T2i & Canon T1i

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: sletts02 on June 28, 2013, 03:06:22 AM
Hi all,

I am relatively new to ML and would love to have RAW video on my 550D! Do we have a tutorial on how to install it, or is it the same process as the regular ML that I have?

follow the instructions on how to install magic lantern and install the 2.3 stable release. then come here and download the latest build from the first post of this thread, decompact it and replace the the files and folders on your camera memory card with the ones you have just decompacted. that is.    yes, it is stable but you have to choose a recording resolution and speed in fps that shows you a green color comment on the camera display bottom line. have fun!
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

sletts02

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 28, 2013, 08:52:12 AM
follow the instructions on how to install magic lantern and install the 2.3 stable release. then come here and download the latest build from the first post of this thread, decompact it and replace the the files and folders on your camera memory card with the ones you have just decompacted. that is.    yes, it is stable but you have to choose a recording resolution and speed in fps that shows you a green color comment on the camera display bottom line. have fun!

Brilliant, thanks for the info! I may have just saved myself $4000+ on the 5D mkIII and new lenses for another year or so. :)

The majority of my videos are viewed at less than 720p anyway so the loss in resolution is no deal breaker. I'll give it a crack tonight or tomorrow.

glubber

Quote from: sletts02 on June 28, 2013, 03:06:22 AM
Hi all,

This is the kind of video that I would be using it for:

To me it looks like you are shooting with a wide angled lens to capture the most possible of the rooms.

So keep in mind, if shooting RAW with the 550D you will have to sacrifice fps (around 12 instead of 24) to get the full sensor size format,
or you must live with a heavy crop of around 960x540 against 1920x1080 if you want to maintain 24 fps!
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

JuanIrache

Quote from: tactzer0 on June 27, 2013, 06:30:56 PM
Not really.  The less frames to interpolate the better.

That's why. When twixtoring from 12 to 24 fps you are interpolating 50% of frames, because all the original ones match a new temporal position. If you twixtor 18 to 24, only 1 or 2 6 original frames will match their new temporal position, and 22 12 won't, so you will have 22 18 interpolated frames.

*Update: I've double checked (18 to 24), and it appears that 6 of 24 (25%) frames will be original. Still not as good as 50% (12 to 24), but much better than other combinations

Rewind

Quote from: CharlieA56 on June 28, 2013, 03:52:30 AM
Can you show us a screen capture of the configuration you're using on Twixtor for this ?
Thanx a lot !
Those my examples are nothing fancy: just standard frame rate conversion using motion-weighted blend and inverse w/Smart blend warping. Interprete your foitage as 18 fps or whatever fps it really was shot, then make comp as desired fps (24 in my case). It just works.

In order to use twixtor with moving objects, you will have to take advantage of foreground/background masks etc.
This tutorial i found on vimeo may be more helpful.

sletts02

Quote from: glubber on June 28, 2013, 09:21:37 AM
To me it looks like you are shooting with a wide angled lens to capture the most possible of the rooms.

So keep in mind, if shooting RAW with the 550D you will have to sacrifice fps (around 12 instead of 24) to get the full sensor size format,
or you must live with a heavy crop of around 960x540 against 1920x1080 if you want to maintain 24 fps!

Yep, you're right! I've just had a quick play and the crop does not work for my style of video - even at 10mm it's not usable.

Looks like it will have to be upgrade time :(

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: tactzer0 on June 28, 2013, 05:51:43 PM
With the latest builds I'm getting a decent amount of time at 23.976fps around 720p quality.

1280x536: 10 seconds @ 23.976 fps
1200x502: 17 seconds @ 23.976 fps
1152x482: 36 seconds @ 23.976 fps

So for the standard 2.39:1 ratio, the crop isn't that bad.  I'm sure you can get more time if you use the 2.42:1 or 2.5:1 ratios too.

Try to check the option to tolerate frame skipping, and tell me the results: only one frame lost every 10 or 36 seconds shouldn't be noticeable at all ! Let me know !
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Rewind

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 28, 2013, 06:54:38 PM
Try to check the option to tolerate frame skipping, and tell me the results: only one frame lost every 10 or 36 seconds shouldn't be noticeable at all ! Let me know !
It is obviously enough, with this buffering strategy, you will get a whole bunch of skipped frames after the first one :)

sletts02

I had a play with my steadicam and RAW today. Unfortunately due to the crop the shakiness is not useable for me. Maybe if we can squeeze out 720p in the future it could be a goer?

Rewind

It seems that latest "small hacks" doesn't work on 550d, right?
This option gives me an error at 0. expected e3a00032, got 100
should we completely disable it in our builds?

jamesonblade

EDIT: **False alarm, thankfully.

I thought I bricked my camera. I succesfully recorded and edited a raw .dng file at 1152 x ~~ continuously in 3:1. Somehow my camera was turning on even though the battery was nearly totally dead- The screen should have displayed the "change the battery pack" dialogue like it normally does once a camera is past a charge able to sustain basic camera functions-

There was no signal running to the viewfinder, but the shutter, when depressed, would make the flash pop up in any dial setting and fire off rapidly.

Scared me for a minute. So, another happy ML user here.

Kim.dh

Quote from: jamesonblade on June 29, 2013, 08:47:58 PM
There was no signal running to the viewfinder, but the shutter, when depressed, would make the flash pop up in any dial setting and fire off rapidly.
Maybe it needs a psychologist?

Chungdha

I tried it out finally with the Sandisk extreme pro 95mbs 32gb it can do 1152x482 and 23fps continuesly

ddelreal

The work to this point has been amazing! I wonder though, have we hit a brick wall?

sletts02

I'm using raw2dng.exe on Windows 7. It works great, EXCEPT when a file 'cuts out' during recording (I guess ran out of memory). Is this normal?

The .RAW files are still >100mb so there is data there - is there any way to get that data out?

Kim.dh

There is instructions on how to merge the extra file with the first raw file on the forum, use the search function.

telecastDaveRI

Quote from: sletts02 on July 03, 2013, 12:36:54 PM
I'm using raw2dng.exe on Windows 7. It works great, EXCEPT when a file 'cuts out' during recording (I guess ran out of memory). Is this normal?

The .RAW files are still >100mb so there is data there - is there any way to get that data out?

There's no way I know to recover these. However, make sure your camera is not set to power off after maybe 30 seconds or so. I experienced that early on and then realized it only powered off after I was successful and a minute had passed. I just assumed it was too much for the camera to handle....but then I realized that I had the camera to power down the display after a minute.

sletts02

Quote from: Kim.dh on July 03, 2013, 04:23:20 PM
There is instructions on how to merge the extra file with the first raw file on the forum, use the search function.
I tried searching but couldn't find a fix - can you please link me / give search terms.

Quote from: telecastDaveRI on July 04, 2013, 05:36:36 AM
There's no way I know to recover these. However, make sure your camera is not set to power off after maybe 30 seconds or so. I experienced that early on and then realized it only powered off after I was successful and a minute had passed. I just assumed it was too much for the camera to handle....but then I realized that I had the camera to power down the display after a minute.

Brilliant! The auto-off 30 seconds was my Achilles! I wondered why it stated continuous but was cutting out regardless, very helpful cheers!

JuanIrache

I'm on a trip testing the Raw functionality in real situations.

The only thing I miss is the option (that other builds have) of turning GD off automatically when you start recording. Other than that, I'm quite optimistic about the results I'm getting at 1280 2.39 23.976fps and 1728 2.39 11.998fps (crossing fingers for Twixtor).