550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph2007

strange happened to me now.... it seems i cant get the raw video size past 1728 :(

someone have any idea?

i was able to do it yesterday playing with it... (even with 1fps)
damn i still have the raw file in my laptop for 2512x1080 @14fps
now i it keep saying more than 1728 is not supported in video mode :( :(

Rewind

So, guys, is the information of the top post still up-to-date?
Where should I start my investigations to dig into that?
Are there any new clues and ideas how to achieve more memory on ours 550d's?

a1ex

CONFIG_MARK_UNUSED_MEMORY_AT_STARTUP

(dangerous)

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: ph2007 on June 22, 2013, 08:07:58 AM
strange happened to me now.... it seems i cant get the raw video size past 1728 :(

someone have any idea?

You must activate 5x zoom before going to ml menu to select resolution
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

JuanIrache

Quote from: ph2007 on June 22, 2013, 08:07:58 AM

someone have any idea?

The max resolutions that can be read from the 550D sensor are: 1728*1156 in canon's 1080 mode. 2512*1080 in cropped mode. 1728*694 in canon's 720P mode. That's if I'm not missing something, and of course at really low framerates. You must have recorded that bigger file in cropped mode (x5 zoom).

Rewind

In order to use the CONFIG_MARK_UNUSED_MEMORY_AT_STARTUP i have to define it in internals.h, right?

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: Rewind on June 22, 2013, 09:16:44 AM
So, guys, is the information of the top post still up-to-date?
Where should I start my investigations to dig into that?
Are there any new clues and ideas how to achieve more memory on ours 550d's?
Yes it is kept up to date by me, as soon as devs will inform me about their developments or as soon as I see developments on this or other threads

JuanIrache

Does someone a have a recent and complete build of Tragic?

EDIT: solved: http://www.mediafire.com/download/96zgrdjaubamjuh/ML_Fileman_Raw_Tragic.zip I can't use the more recent ones, don't know why.

dlrpgmsvc

Just to be sure: do 550d raw video have a chroma subsamplig 422 or 420 or something else? And do the one of h264 is the same? Many thanks!

marregi

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 22, 2013, 11:41:47 AM
Just to be sure: do 550d raw video have a chroma subsamplig 422 or 420 or something else? And do the one of h264 is the same? Many thanks!

I did some qualifiers in resolve for secondaries and by the quality of the keying (no blocking, compresion artifacts etc) I guess is 422 but I´ve to test it with hair in greenscreen to tell you the truth. Or maybe someone can give us a more detailed explanation about chroma subsampling here..

ph2007

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 22, 2013, 10:07:28 AM

oh that solved it!
haha time to play more~
thanks a lot!

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: marregi on June 22, 2013, 11:48:08 AM
I did some qualifiers in resolve for secondaries and by the quality of the keying (no blocking, compresion artifacts etc) I guess is 422 but I´ve to test it with hair in greenscreen to tell you the truth. Or maybe someone can give us a more detailed explanation about chroma subsampling here..

Ok, I figured out from info around the internet and inside the audio narration of this video : http://www.how-to-diy.org/8OFpfFiXrDDLOY/Raw-%22Video%22-on-Canon-DSLRs-with-Magic-Lantern.html

H264 video is YUV subsampled to 4:2:0
RAW video is YUV subsampled to 4:2:2

Great values !  ;D

NedB

@dlrpgmsvc: I believe you are half correct. H.264 is indeed YUV, subsampled at 4:2:0. But the raw video that ML now delivers is, according to a1ex himself in a tweet to Stu Maschwitz, 14-bit RGGB, that is: uncompressed, not-yet-debayered, 14-bits per pixel data straight from the sensor, with the only intermediate step being Canon's mysterious, black-box reduction (binning? line-skipping? both?) of the sensor resolution of 5184x3456 down to the Live View resolution, which varies by camera and is apparently 1728x974 for the 550D. Though it is true that the sensor array has twice as many sensels (?) for the G channel as it does for R and B, I don't think it's correct to call it either YUV or 4:2:2. IMHO, of course. Cheers!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: NedB on June 22, 2013, 04:37:25 PM
I don't think it's correct to call it either YUV or 4:2:2. IMHO, of course. Cheers!

Yes, you are perfectly right ! It is simply RAW, so no YUV represented yet, and no chroma and/or luma subsampling at all, right !

Chagalj

1280x512  2.5:1 ratio 23,976 fps ----------   310 frames!!! This is usable!!!
Sandisk Pro 95MB/s

pavelpp

Guys, is there a guide for noise reduction? I am getting a lot of noise by default, even at ISO100 :(

shawnwytch

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 22, 2013, 10:07:28 AM

so when u go into 5x mode and u change the raw resolution, the bar that pops up showing u what your recording  area is. Is it showing u the real form factor. I notice its there when your in normal mode, does it adjust for if your in normal mode or 5x mode.
or is it guessing?

deleted.account

Quote from: Chagalj on June 22, 2013, 06:58:33 PM
1280x512  2.5:1 ratio 23,976 fps ----------   310 frames!!! This is usable!!!
Sandisk Pro 95MB/s

My thoughts exactly, out with cam today and getting 360 - 390 frames each time, same settings and card as your's. Rewinds recent build.

At those frame numbers I found still needed to be careful when to start and sometimes missed the moment, drop out ending premature, then had to wait for whatever the bar thingy is at the top of the LV to write to the card before starting next shot, so thinking better to maybe switch off stop at skip and just skip frames to keep some sort of continuity, if this is at all possible with latest developments? Assume the log file logs dropped frames for help at edit time?

Only other thing I haven't sorted yet is having got into the habit of 5x & 10x zoom for focus help when not using raw, now find 10x crashes the camera, obviously well known, but how to get out of 5x once in it? Pressing the minus zoom button doesn't seem to do anything once in 5x.

dougie

Quote from: y3llow on June 22, 2013, 10:48:10 PM

Only other thing I haven't sorted yet is having got into the habit of 5x & 10x zoom for focus help when not using raw, now find 10x crashes the camera, obviously well known, but how to get out of 5x once in it? Pressing the minus zoom button doesn't seem to do anything once in 5x.

just turn the dial out of video mode then back in

deleted.account

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: shawnwytch on June 22, 2013, 09:46:42 PM
so when u go into 5x mode and u change the raw resolution, the bar that pops up showing u what your recording  area is. Is it showing u the real form factor. I notice its there when your in normal mode, does it adjust for if your in normal mode or 5x mode.
or is it guessing?
never tested it with your requested precision, if you have time to test it, i'm interested in your results, thanks

mk11174

Quote from: y3llow on June 22, 2013, 10:48:10 PM
Just go into ML Prefs menu and goto LiveView zoom tweaks and turn off 10x zoom when you plan to use Raw Record, this way you wont use 10x by accident.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

JuanIrache

Quote from: pavelpp on June 22, 2013, 09:39:38 PM
Guys, is there a guide for noise reduction? I am getting a lot of noise by default, even at ISO100 :(

A certain amount of noise in dark areas is unavoidable. Maybe you are keeping the shadows too bright in post. ACR does a nice job reducing noise, and also ETTR should help in many cases. If you really wanted bright shadows, you could try filming HDR, but that's a whole extra workflow on top of RAW.

Quote from: shawnwytch on June 22, 2013, 09:46:42 PM
or is it guessing?

That area is not useful in cropped mode. The recorded image is actually larger than what you see in the whole live view. You can compose the frame by selecting ML or Hacked preview in the Raw menu.

dlrpgmsvc

what are the technical reasons for which we cannot use 10x crop mode for raw video recording just to help finding a solution?

Ivoprod

Quote from: dougie on June 22, 2013, 11:09:36 PM
just turn the dial out of video mode then back in

Just press MENU and back to live view
5D Mark iii, Sandisk Extreme PRO 32 GB 1067x, Transcend 64GB 1000x,