550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash-film

hey guys!

good to hear from the writing strategy.
i thought about something like this by myself. but more in a way of interlacing the image and writing it in blocks to the card.
maybe storing it randomly on the card, so the card can be written on with a constant speed continuously?

i don´t know how the dng files are actually contained as one file. if they are in sequence or already randomly stored.
is it possible to generate a mft type list in that container to restore the correct sequence in the unpacking process on the computer?

or maybe a kind of pre record strategy. you could arm the raw recording process=>buffer gets filled and rewritten for an "optimal" amount and circles for 10 seconds. then kills itself to prevent heat and to safe battery.
then you hit the fire button and the card can take the optimal data stream.

what´s the h264 coder doing? in the 50D it has to be activated to get raw recording.

this is just theory. and of course i don´t know if anything of this is possible or even already implemented.

would love to help with coding, but my coding days started and stopped with the C64...

and i did some more practice tests. wondered, what the also increased motion resolution (compared to interframe based h264. means, h264 dumps not just color and detail information by macro blocking but also motion information which is stored in vectors)

so here you have it: horrible resolution and a nightmare of aliasing but a synthesized 200 fps camera (shot 50fps)

qsara

50D + ML = 55D, 550D + ML = 555D, Chuck Norris of DSLRs' :)

a1ex

Yes, writing out of order will help a little with buffer fragmentation. But we have to change the file format too (add a tag for each frame), so it will break the converters.

It's on the list for next major file format update.

Ivoprod

Just Imagined what if Camera could have around 2 gb or 4 gb buffer size , and then doesn't metter what card we have just record until the limit in desired resolution and fps and , wait until it gets on card !

how real is buffer stratch ? and if canon will do it , how high will grow price of the same 550d like camera?
5D Mark iii, Sandisk Extreme PRO 32 GB 1067x, Transcend 64GB 1000x,

qsara

Quote from: Ivoprod on June 20, 2013, 09:04:39 AM
Just Imagined what if Camera could have around 2 gb or 4 gb buffer size , and then doesn't metter what card we have just record until the limit in desired resolution and fps and , wait until it gets on card !

how real is buffer stratch ? and if canon will do it , how high will grow price of the same 550d like camera?

1D X has it, but its forbidden to touch :)

frontloop

Quote from: qsara on June 20, 2013, 12:14:08 PM
1D X has it, but its forbidden to touch :)

AND its forbidden to sell it for $500 ...

qsara

dlrpgmsvc

The new and latest xaint build version with better buffers is ready to download : the headpost is fresh updated !  8)
Thankyou xaint, from all of us !  ;)
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

mk11174

Anyone wanting to try out Alex's experimental variable buffer Raw Record, this build is all updated and has AUTO ETTR, File Manager and Pic View Module as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hgiq49uyo3uk7pl/ML_550D_June_20_2013_Update.zip
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

MaKsOZ

Quote from: mk11174 on June 20, 2013, 05:57:15 PM
Anyone wanting to try out Alex's experimental variable buffer Raw Record, this build is all updated and has AUTO ETTR, File Manager and Pic View Module as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hgiq49uyo3uk7pl/ML_550D_June_20_2013_Update.zip

Thanks a lot, it's working even better than Xaint build !!! Amazing !!

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: mk11174 on June 20, 2013, 05:57:15 PM

Wow ! We are among a head-to-head contest here ! what buffer strategy will win ? time will tell !

In the meantime, also your build was put on the headpost ! Many thanks mk11174 !
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Rewind

My results with variable buffering compared to xaint's build 1x8Mb + 4x16Mb method:

res            fps               fr.xaint          fr.variable     boost       

1280x536   23.976 fps      164               236               44%
1280x536   23 fps            184               276               50%

1280x512   23.976 fps      196               303               54%
1280x512   23 fps            238               364               53%

1152x482   23.976 fps      739               1157             56%

Screenshots:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

A1ex, this theory actually works indeed.

mk11174

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 20, 2013, 06:19:40 PM
Wow ! We are among a head-to-head contest here ! what buffer strategy will win ? time will tell !

In the meantime, also your build was put on the headpost ! Many thanks mk11174 !
No contest, lol!! Those 2 both put there heads together to come up with this I think, those guys are awesome for sure!

Trombom

Hi, so why my final RAW VIDEO in canon t2i appear very cropped ? and this can be for my sd card speed? i use a "transcend sdhc class 10 32gb", i put the config: 640x360px but i cant get 1280x720px with no cropping, so what i need to have the exactly view i have in my viewport? Thanks, help!

a1ex

You need to use a fisheye lens ;)

There is another way though. Find the menu item that says "raw video" and switch it to "off".

Or, even better, start the camera without Magic Lantern. It's not targeted at beginners.

telecastDaveRI

Quote from: a1ex on June 20, 2013, 07:09:26 PM

There is another way though. Find the menu item that says "raw video" and switch it to "off".

Or, even better, start the camera without Magic Lantern. It's not targeted at beginners.

Best response ever   :)

MaKsOZ

LOL

mk11174

CFP

Quote from: Trombom on June 20, 2013, 07:04:45 PM
Hi, so why my final RAW VIDEO in canon t2i appear very cropped?
Because that's the way it works.

The raw videos are the LiveView images. And if you use a resolution that is smaller than 1734 X 1155 that's just a crop of the whole image ;D

qsara

I think I've made a huge mistake by selling my other 550D to get EOS M. 550D's RAW has better aliasing and nice dof if you use 50 1.8, well, I hope that buffer adjustment imported to eos m too, otherwise I'm not using it anymore rather than h264

jagnje

Quote from: crash-film on June 20, 2013, 02:31:30 AM
hey guys!

good to hear from the writing strategy.
i thought about something like this by myself. but more in a way of interlacing the image and writing it in blocks to the card.
maybe storing it randomly on the card, so the card can be written on with a constant speed continuously?

i don´t know how the dng files are actually contained as one file. if they are in sequence or already randomly stored.
is it possible to generate a mft type list in that container to restore the correct sequence in the unpacking process on the computer?

or maybe a kind of pre record strategy. you could arm the raw recording process=>buffer gets filled and rewritten for an "optimal" amount and circles for 10 seconds. then kills itself to prevent heat and to safe battery.
then you hit the fire button and the card can take the optimal data stream.

what´s the h264 coder doing? in the 50D it has to be activated to get raw recording.

this is just theory. and of course i don´t know if anything of this is possible or even already implemented.

would love to help with coding, but my coding days started and stopped with the C64...

and i did some more practice tests. wondered, what the also increased motion resolution (compared to interframe based h264. means, h264 dumps not just color and detail information by macro blocking but also motion information which is stored in vectors)

so here you have it: horrible resolution and a nightmare of aliasing but a synthesized 200 fps camera (shot 50fps)

Nice shots. Do I undesrtand corectly...you shot this in 50fps and slowed it down to 25%?

notdabod

Quote from: Trombom on June 20, 2013, 07:04:45 PM
Hi, so why my final RAW VIDEO in canon t2i appear very cropped ? and this can be for my sd card speed? i use a "transcend sdhc class 10 32gb", i put the config: 640x360px but i cant get 1280x720px with no cropping, so what i need to have the exactly view i have in my viewport? Thanks, help!

This happened to me as well the first time. I couldn't figure out why things are so cropped then I saw the crop marks and I realized it's how we can shoot raw by making it cropped.

Come on guys give them a break it's not like there's a manual for the stuff.

Rewind

Is there any possibility to try some other resolutions, say 1200x500 (1:2.4) ?

crash-film

hey jagnje,

i recorded it in 50 fps. interpreted as 25 fps or slowed down to 50% gives you a flawless 1/2 speed real slow motion.
if you slow it down by another 50% using sth like twixtor or the foundrys kronos or the retime component of saphire plug ins or any other software using optical flow you can get a real good 1/4 speed interpolated slomo.

but it´s important to shoot with the highest shutter speed possible. the less motion blur you have in your images the better the motion flow based image interpolation works. you can even lower the software slow motion to 25% and still get medium to good results.
but the algorithms really start to struggle with those speeds and warping becomes more and more visible (see the close of the fountain).
it also depends on the image content.

it´s more something to play with than with real value

Trombom

Thanks for nothing.