550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marregi

There is no hope to overcome that bottleneck? I´m pretty happy recording raw 1280x426 for 197 frames in fact, while waiting for my BMPCC, but time is going soooo slow :)

renowilliams

So I'm feeling a little stupid here. I'm trying to understand this whole process.
1. Get another sdhc card (sandisk extream 16 gig).
2. Copy .bin developed by MK11174 (thank you) onto memory card.
3. Copy modues by MK11174 (thank you again) into folder within .bin???
4. Shoot RAW footage
Workflow
1. Copy raw files from memory card onto hard drive (what raw file format is this)?
2. import RAW footage into RAWanizer and export as MP4??
3. Use Lightroom to color grade?
4. I use Power Director, so would edit with this.
I'm probably not right about this, so if someone can straighten me out.

mk11174

Hey guys, since I know most of you in here by now, Ill just share this link to this Tutorial I made for anyone interested in compiling themselves, good for beginners that just cant get it going. For windows only though, teaches you how to get going using virtualbox. Hope it comes in handy for someone.  :D

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6425.msg50213#msg50213
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

telecastDaveRI

Thanks for the info mk11174.

I saw you mention the devs in that link. I havent seen any of them post for a while.

I have a little programming experience but by the time I catch up to speed with this, I am sure that someone will have already programmed what needed to be programmed at that point. Wish I could assist them!

Anyway, thanks again!

pavelpp

@mk11174, Thanks for the guide! Going to try it soon

otherman

I've an idea to improve raw recording with "only sd" cameras, but I don't know if it's possible: what about recording on SD, AND on usb (with pc, or android tablet)? one frame on sd, the next to usb, an so on.

pavelpp

even if it was possible, the workflow would get even more complicated...

otherman

There are people thinking on change SD module soldering a new one: this is a too complicated workflow!
You have yet to pass a raw file with raw2dng or similar; whit my idea, the files to process are two. It'll be an option, standard recording to SD only, enhanced recording for SD&USB.
ML is all about "more choices, the better!" yet!

(Sorry for my english, again)

crash-film

hi everyone,

here´s some low and shallow light testing. half of the material was deleted by a mistake and i had just a photo ball head tripod...
yeah.... and it´s a little bit trippy  8)

workflow this time@work:
ACR=>AE (resizer to 1080p)=>dnxhd 10bit=>Media Composer

tackyattack

Quote from: crash-film on June 13, 2013, 01:31:21 PM
hi everyone,

here´s some low and shallow light testing. half of the material was deleted by a mistake and i had just a photo ball head tripod...
yeah.... and it´s a little bit trippy  8)

workflow this time@work:
ACR=>AE (resizer to 1080p)=>dnxhd 10bit=>Media Composer

That was absolutely stunning!!! It's nice to finally see something that isn't just cats, dogs, flowers, cars, or telephone poles! This really illustrates how much RAW can help. Care to share what settings you used on the cam?

notdabod

Quote from: funkysensation on June 11, 2013, 08:13:06 PM
@notdabod
i used a sandisk extreme pro 95 mb/s 32gb to get 240 Frames at 1280x426...

thanks for the post.

sandisk extreme is 45 mb/s
sandisk extreme PRO is 95 mb/s

I'm wondering how big a difference a sandisk extreme vs extreme pro would make?

anyone done any tests?

It's just that costco has a sale on extreme's not extreme pro's.

thanks

qsara

Quote from: notdabod on June 13, 2013, 08:40:20 PM
thanks for the post.

sandisk extreme is 45 mb/s
sandisk extreme PRO is 95 mb/s

I'm wondering how big a difference a sandisk extreme vs extreme pro would make?

anyone done any tests?

It's just that costco has a sale on extreme's not extreme pro's.

thanks

it doesn't matter if you use ducati editions* on 550D, it can handle only 20MB/s data output to the SD card, I'm using both Sandisk extreme 20MB/s & 30MB/s (old series) and new Sandisk extreme 45MB/s there is no difference on bitrate increase / decrease.

here is the test of Sandisk extreme 30 and 45MB/s at USB 3.0 card reader on my site.

http://hepsicekiyor.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/sandisk-extreme-30mbs-hafiza-karti-testi/

http://hepsicekiyor.wordpress.com/2013/05/12/sandisk-extreme-45mbs-hafiza-karti-inceleme/

*they are old, but if they were new, I know they can kick 120MB/s today.

crash-film

Quote from: tackyattack on June 13, 2013, 02:52:27 PM
That was absolutely stunning!!! It's nice to finally see something that isn't just cats, dogs, flowers, cars, or telephone poles! This really illustrates how much RAW can help. Care to share what settings you used on the cam?

thx!!!

the settings where:
tragic lantern raw module, mem hack on, 1152x432 @ 23,9 fps, transcend class 10 32 GB,  1920x1080 24 fps video mode, no 5x zoom (it always stops after 70 frames in zoom mode)
tested several cards. even a lexxar 400x can´t do more resolution....

and the best settings of all..... in a few days the nearly new 50d arrives. so i gave up extensive testings on the settings and concentrated on the images  ;D

and a message to the developers:
thanks again. just a few days before the raw "hack" got public i explained to a friend of mine why it´s just a merketing thing, that you can´t buy a camera for € 3000 that records 2k raw. now nobody can say anymore, it´s impossible for that money.
and THIS is, what truly matters!!

ljubex

Hi everyone,

I've made a small test of ML RAW video on 550d. It was recorded in 1024x352 at 24 fps. Didn't do the upscale to 720p. Generally, I'm impressed with increase in dynamic range and sharpness over h.264, but the workflow and low resolutions are big issues. Workflow was raw2dng>After Effects>Premiere Pro.

renowilliams

Can I get a link to you bin file MK11174 please.

3pointedit

ljubex, that looked really nice. I think that we 550D owners have to accept that, for us, RAW is all about better color and less compression noise. If you can live with that it's great. But we can't have everything.

I love some of the color you got in those street shots and the water looked quite crisp and sharp. It is just a shame that we can't squeeze anymore bit rate for more resolution.

But the colors are amazing aren't they!?
550D on ML-roids

mk11174

Quote from: renowilliams on June 14, 2013, 01:27:19 AM
Can I get a link to you bin file MK11174 please.
Should all be on the 1st page of this thread
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

pavelpp

I guess anamorphic lens is the only way we could get more resolution with 550d?

Kornowski

Quote from: crash-film on June 13, 2013, 10:12:31 PM
the settings where:
tragic lantern raw module, mem hack on, 1152x432 @ 23,9 fps, transcend class 10 32 GB,  1920x1080 24 fps video mode, no 5x zoom (it always stops after 70 frames in zoom mode)

Sorry for my naivety, but could you explain how you got the memory hack on the tragic build? Also, is the 'no 5X times' just disabling the 5X from when the zoom button is pressed to check focusing?

Footage looks great though, the water looks so good!

internetjoke

I just want to say at first i was a bit disheartened by the limit on the 550d. I have really been considering selling up and getting a 50d but looking at the recent updates (tragic lantern) I actually feel that the 550d possesses a cinematic feel that the cf cards models do not have.

I actually prefer the quality of the 550d over the 50d

Some of these example videos on here now almost look like technicolour from the 1950s!

renowilliams

Ok Guys

I've shot some raw footage at 1152x656 @ 29.97. I have used raw2dng to get the dng files. I imported those files tp After Effects, made some minor changes, then saved as a premier pro project file.

Then I opened Premier, imported the project, then rendered the file out. When I look at the resulting video it just looks like a still and not video.

What am I missing here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ph2007

Quote from: mk11174 on June 12, 2013, 09:44:41 PM
Hey guys, since I know most of you in here by now, Ill just share this link to this Tutorial I made for anyone interested in compiling themselves, good for beginners that just cant get it going. For windows only though, teaches you how to get going using virtualbox. Hope it comes in handy for someone.  :D

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6425.msg50213#msg50213

strange.. i downloaded the pre-build VMbox ML .zip
the MagicLantern.vdi zip was corrupted.
virtualBox wont able to boot in to linux.
ive downloaded 6times for now, tried DAP, downloadHelper firefox and firefox default downloading.

anyone success opening it?
btw im using winrar and win7 default unzip. on 64bit system.

Audionut

Quote from: internetjoke on June 14, 2013, 07:59:26 PM
I actually prefer the quality of the 550d over the 50d

Raw is raw.  How people grade and encode their footage are 2 totally different things that aren't affected by the raw output of different cameras (resolution limits excluded).

Audionut

Quote from: ph2007 on June 15, 2013, 03:55:41 AM
strange.. i downloaded the pre-build VMbox ML .zip
the MagicLantern.vdi zip was corrupted.

IIRC, there is a md5sum included in the download to check integrity.