550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk11174

Quote from: shawnwytch on June 08, 2013, 11:21:09 PM
Anyone having the problem when raw is enabled not being able to go from 5x to 10x then back to normal without camera crashing?
Yeah, known issue, just disable 10x zoom in ML live zoom settings, that is what I do.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

MaKsOZ

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: hammermina on June 08, 2013, 07:20:31 PM
@dlrpgmsvc

i didnt overcome the limit yet!!
but my friend the electronic hardware ingeneer says the the problem is by the controller.
we will disasample the controller from the rest and take look what we can do.according to the memory bechnmark the cam is defently faster than the sd controller!
Very very good! Keep me and community informed about future developments on this! Thanks!
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

D.L. Watson

Thanks so much for allowing this feature on the T2i. My video below shows a comparison between H.264 and the RAW shooting indoors through a window.

The flexibility is amazing.

I ended up lowering the fps to increase resolution. I was able to shoot for about 300+ frames at 1600x672 (2.39:1) at 12fps. Twixtor has no problem filling in the missing data. I used Instant HD to bring the footage up to 1920x806.

Ill have to do more tests. I'm hoping there will be a way to unlock the limitations on the write speed on the port - if so - Ill have to seriously rethink a purchase of the Pocket Cinema Camera.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

renowilliams

So how big are the raw files you guys are shooting??

D.L. Watson

Quote from: renowilliams on June 09, 2013, 03:19:24 AM

Over 500mb for 303 frames

Kim.dh

Quote from: D.L. Watson on June 09, 2013, 01:44:43 AM
I ended up lowering the fps to increase resolution. I was able to shoot for about 300+ frames at 1600x672 (2.39:1) at 12fps. Twixtor has no problem filling in the missing data. I used Instant HD to bring the footage up to 1920x806.
What workflow did you use for Twixtoring+Instant HD? I tried using both in AE (Instant HD on a Solid and Twix on the clip), but it rendered without the Twixtoring. So I had to use a twixtored intermediate which I upscaled with Instant HD, but I would like to save some time by avoiding this extra step.

Kim.dh

shawnwytch

Quote from: mk11174 on June 08, 2013, 11:23:12 PM
Yeah, known issue, just disable 10x zoom in ML live zoom settings, that is what I do.

ok thank you i didnt know u could do that. i need to start testing all the new features i still havent mastered the follow focus on the dslr.
or the hdr ill have to go look into the info

shawnwytch

Quote from: renowilliams on June 09, 2013, 03:19:24 AM

huge files 1gb raw is about 200mb of h247

D.L. Watson

Quote from: Kim.dh on June 09, 2013, 04:38:57 AM
What workflow did you use for Twixtoring+Instant HD? I tried using both in AE (Instant HD on a Solid and Twix on the clip), but it rendered without the Twixtoring. So I had to use a twixtored intermediate which I upscaled with Instant HD, but I would like to save some time by avoiding this extra step.

Here is my workflow step by step:

• 1. Import DNG Footage / Interpret at 12fps (or whatever your FPS was)
  • 2. Drag into a 16bit Comp and change Comp fps to 24p
  • 3. Apply Twixtor, set the Source Footage FPS to 12p
  • 4. Precomp that into it's own Comp
  • 5. Add Instant HD: ReSizer onto the new Precomped layer, set to fit to Comp
  • 6. Render to 10bit 444 DNxHD or Cinestyle

Hope this helps! Also, it helps to limit the amount of camera movement and shoot at a higher shutter speed and use the amazing Reel Smart Motion Blur to put natural motion-blur back into the shot.

telecastDaveRI

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 08, 2013, 12:09:06 PM
Please, can you do again a comparison raw vs h.264 BUT with ML bitrate cranked up to maximum ? Or h.264 standard vs h.264 cranked to max with ML vs raw all in one test ! Nobody done this so far, so we can decide if raw is really Worth the work to assemble it ! Keep the comparison method you used in your previous test, also with the slanted stripe running across horizontally ! Many thanks !  ;)

Here is my comparison video (h264 default/raw) - (see video link) I will also attempt to create a video outlining what you requested to blazraidr. It may be nice to have 2 comparisons for consistencies sake.

https://vimeo.com/67975595
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNaxDW_oYy8

Chagalj

Can someone explain what is the difference between 5x crop mode and normal recording? When I set a resolution without 5x crop engaged I get resolution which dont correctly relate to ratios. For instance, ratio is 16:9 and the resolution is 1216x416. And when I convert such footage it is stretched.

CFP

Quote from: otherman on June 08, 2013, 12:35:12 PM
I want to make some tests with Avisynth to find best way to remove aliasing, interpolate to 24fps, and upscaling to 1080p, but I've not a fast SD card right now.
I did the "interpolate to 24fps"-part already :D

- Avisynth script for doubling the framerate | Twixtor alternative

I guess the upscaling can be done in Lightroom or ACR und aliasing can't be removed ... But if you have a better solution, please share it :)

shawnwytch

Is there a way to record audio while shooting raw?

shawnwytch

Also sound is automatically disabled on this raw build is there a way to make it record sound when not in raw mode?  I have a big movie shoot today with over 500 people and I'm thinking of going to the stable Ml

JuanIrache

Quote from: D.L. Watson on June 09, 2013, 06:00:11 AM
Here is my workflow step by step:

• 1. Import DNG Footage / Interpret at 12fps (or whatever your FPS was)
  • 2. Drag into a 16bit Comp and change Comp fps to 24p
  • 3. Apply Twixtor, set the Source Footage FPS to 12p
  • 4. Precomp that into it's own Comp
  • 5. Add Instant HD: ReSizer onto the new Precomped layer, set to fit to Comp
  • 6. Render to 10bit 444 DNxHD or Cinestyle

Hope this helps! Also, it helps to limit the amount of camera movement and shoot at a higher shutter speed and use the amazing Reel Smart Motion Blur to put natural motion-blur back into the shot.

the trees' movement looks twixtored to me. Unless the scene is almost steady, I think we will get better results by shooting at the speed we need, even if we have to upscale much more. Especially considering that Canon's compression messes around with the resolution as well (and we didn't know till now). We just need to optimise the upscaling process.

Quote from: shawnwytch on June 09, 2013, 06:59:56 PM
Is there a way to record audio while shooting raw?

Yes, check the Raw menu (I'm not sure if that's working on every build we have). It produces a wav file and can emit a beep for syncing purposes.

(Remember that fps override turns sound off!)

Quote from: Chagalj on June 09, 2013, 01:21:45 PM
Can someone explain what is the difference between 5x crop mode and normal recording? When I set a resolution without 5x crop engaged I get resolution which dont correctly relate to ratios. For instance, ratio is 16:9 and the resolution is 1216x416. And when I convert such footage it is stretched.

5x crop mode gets only a portion of the sensor. So it's equivalent to having a much longer lens on. The other benefit is that the sensor sampling does not skip lines, so unlike other modes, you will get no aliasing.

If you are recording on Canon's 720P mode, the camera skips some more horizontal lines than vertical ones. You will have to stretch the image in post (550D is around 1.67). The benefit is that you can scan a bigger area of the sensor while keeping the data rate (closer to the vision angle of your lens). This will generate more aliasing, though.

deleted.account

Yes this 5x and 10x references and 1:1 crop have been bugging me too. :-)

With the 550D raw builds in video mode 1920x1080, it appears there is no option to disable 5x and 10x, it's one or the other or am I looking in the wrong place?

I've tried disabling the multiplications before enabling raw video, after, before loading modules, after but non seem to disable the 5x and 10x zoom.

So where is the 1:1 crop no zoom? :-)

pavelpp

5x is the 1:1 crop mode. Disabling 10x is under LiveView Zoom Tweaks menu

crash-film

hello!

i´m completely new to this forum. first of all: thank you all for that incredible software!
i did some testshots with my beloved 550D.

setup is in the video specs.

Kim.dh

Quote from: crash-film on June 10, 2013, 02:02:06 AM
hello!

i´m completely new to this forum. first of all: thank you all for that incredible software!
i did some testshots with my beloved 550D.

setup is in the video specs.

Very nice! What resolution and fps did you shoot at, and what pp workflow did you use? You've got a lot more detail in those shots than I have been able to get.

dpiximaj

1280x432@22fps, ISO 160, Tamron [email protected] conformed to 23.976 in AE & uprez MB Instant HD(not instant) to 1920x648 w/frame blending. Instant HD scales nicely in the diagonals looks very nice - just ever so slightly softer, takes alot of cycles to render.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qAbkOhb3rU&feature=youtu.be

JoshuOne

this is from the 500D, I hope you all dont mind me putting it in this forum. I shot it at 12fps to gain higher resolution in camera. Thanks again mk11174 for the bin with Modules, btw can anyone tell me if the Auto ETTR is a module or if I would have to plead for a bin with it enabled for the 500d? Thanks for your time.

funkysensation

Hey guys here are two tests of the ML Raw Module:

from last week in Istanbul 960x480@24fps upscaled to 720p (ML_960x480_Raw_Rec from mk11174). Please download the HD Version (vimeo hd limit is reached)

and from Rhein in Duesseldorf 1280x426@24fps (latest built) got 240 frames continuously.

Thank you guys for your excellent work on 550D.

crash-film

Quote from: Kim.dh on June 10, 2013, 02:26:38 AM
Very nice! What resolution and fps did you shoot at, and what pp workflow did you use? You've got a lot more detail in those shots than I have been able to get.

Shot entirely in 1152 x 432 @ 23,976 fps 14 bit  (RGB) RAW
Transcend 32 GB Class 10 (mem hack enabled)
shown bitrate whilst recording: up to 19,5 MB/s after a few seconds "warm up"

Flow:
- rawanizer=> dng
- canon raw software => tiff ( "grading" done completely in raw then exported as 12 bit tiffs)
- Quicktime => dnxhd 10bit
- editing/scaling in lightworks

this is a very slow workflow. i chose it because it gave me the most speed in developing the RAWs (since i´m used to photo raw since years) and maintained the image quality through the rest of the process. no furthermore color adjustments happened in the editing process.

i´m still waiting for a workflow to generate DNGs, that can be imported straight into resolve and treat the files as native camera raw.  can´t resolve do 14 bit DNGs? it just opens the preview jpegs....

in the future a special ML RAW camera specific LUT (picture profile to address CA and maybe aliasing) for recording and a resolve specific RAW setting (debayering and optimized color matrix) would be the absolute killer-killer icing on the cake feature.

lenses used:
- canon 28 mm  f 2.8
- canon 18-55 mm f 3.5-5.6
- canon 50 mm f 1.8
+ ND 4  Filter (Cokin)

i always used an aperture above f 5 an below f 14 to achieve the best possible sharpness and mostly exposed for the highlights. exposing the highlights till they´re not overexposed and then adding one f-stop more turned out to be always recoverable while developing. sometimes even more.
shadows and blacks are pushed till a nearly flat image is achieved. then fine tune with curves to get contrast and adjust gamma. here and there some color tweaks, minor sharpening, noise reduction.
activate CA reduction and edge defringing. no further lens corrections. there should be no lens distortion or vignetting since the huge crop factor.

but there are some limitations:
you can´t go to the maximums when pushing or squeezing luminance or contrast color channel wise. ( in ACR this is the place where you can read such things as "aquas" or "magentas" )
when using extreme settings you´ll get ugly noise. not visible in a still, but very noticeable in moving image sequences.

in my opinion color resolution always beats pixel resolution. sharpening and scaling algorithms benefit so much from the added image information. also the much better motion resolution is incredible (the reason why twixtor or nukes kronos can achieve much better interpolated images)

i hope, this information is sufficient for now  :)

and i hope some skilled people are able to address the memory controllers limitations physically. maybe a way to replace it with a faster one or to convert the data lines into IDE or even SATA.... well.....i´m just dreaming   ;D