550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notdabod

Quote from: MaKsOZ on June 06, 2013, 08:20:08 PM
Video Test using 550D ;)

Really nice shots! Long shots too! Can you share your set up and workflow?

Thanks for sharing

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: mk11174 on June 06, 2013, 09:51:44 PM
Another build with the help of Xaint

Congratulations to both ! Meanwhile, I updated the head post by adding also this release !
If I can be of help, let me know !

PS: do you will pull your memory improvements to the repo ?  :)
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Pharinen

I will try(i don't promise anything) to do test comparison between 5Xraw, raw and h.264(bitrate 3.0x) tomorrow. Let's see can you guys tell a difference ;)

I will try to match the scene, DOF, colours etc. best as I can.

Why I'm telling this? Because then I have some reason to do this test, other wise I would probably move it tomorrow and then again tomorrow etc. You know what I mean. Now I have social pressure to do this, I can't let you guys down. :D  ::)

E: Comparison will come next week...

MaKsOZ

Quote from: notdabod on June 06, 2013, 10:04:08 PM
Really nice shots! Long shots too! Can you share your set up and workflow?

Thanks for sharing

Sure, I used the 2.35 ratio, 1024x448, Global Draw off. SD card is a Transcend 16gb class 10. Lense is the Kit Lens 18-55 IS II with an ND8 filter.

I used Rawanizer to extract the DNG, then I imported,graded and exported every files in Lightroom 4.
I finally used Sony Vegas to make the final video rendered at 1280x720 24fps.

Chagalj

I can not achieve good results with this. All shots that I take are with too much noise (even with ISO 100) and after I try to use noise reduction in ACR and a bit of sharpening, loaded frames in AE are still noisy. And every frame is a bit different, you can see like a noise movement all across the final render. Dont know if Im doing something wrong here. I tried both kit lense and 50mm 1.8 II.

MaKsOZ

Quote from: mk11174 on June 06, 2013, 09:51:44 PM
Another build with the help of Xaint getting us a bit more memory for recording, I am getting much more frames before skipping now with 1280x432x24p 193 frames to be exact, was only getting 86 before his hack.

This also includes Alex's latest bitbuckit update, gives us more resolution choices looks like and a mem hack but doesnt seem to help our cam at all.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/09bl5v3ovzca5c7/ML_Raw_MemFix.zip

This includes Filemanager as will, you can find in the Debug menu.

Thanks for this upload but unfortunatlely there is not enough choices in 2.35 resolution format. There is no 1024*450 choice, it's 1180 and then the next lower resolution is 980x....
Can you include a resolution in the 1024 range ( so we can record at around 18,5Mbit / sec ? )

Thanks ;)

mk11174

Quote from: MaKsOZ on June 07, 2013, 01:39:50 AM
Thanks for this upload but unfortunatlely there is not enough choices in 2.35 resolution format. There is no 1024*450 choice, it's 1180 and then the next lower resolution is 980x....
Can you include a resolution in the 1024 range ( so we can record at around 18,5Mbit / sec ? )

Thanks ;)
That is the version from the unified, does the tragic lantern version have the size you want, I can do a tragic-lantern build with the mem patch.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

notdabod

on the new build

http://www.mediafire.com/download/09bl5v3ovzca5c7/ML_Raw_MemFix.zip

Getting the following

1280x640 - 56frames
960x480 - 101frames
864x432 - 126frames
768x384 - 222frames

before Getting
960x544 - 71frames

thanks for more frames!!

Rewind

Now i'm getting stable 1280x536 (lovely 1:2.4 cinemascope ratio) at 18 fps, and with some effort and tricky twixtoring, i'm pretty sure i can shoot the whole short film entirely within the RAW workflow.

With all the fine detail, dynamic range, beautiful color reproduction and other flexibilities, we can now get a bunch of really shiny shots, guys.
Another color test: https://vimeo.com/67710667

A couple of tests with motion and slightly moving objects. As you can see, this technique theoretically can handle some more complex motion, so this is promising:

My current workflow:
- movie mode with overlays off
- 1280x536 18fps or 1344x576 15fps
- minimal possible ISO of course (for day outdoors usually i use iso 100-0.3 ml ev = 80)
- shutter speed for filmic look is obviously dictated by 180 degrees rule, so it should be around 1/40 - 1/50 sec. (if you are planning using some time remapping plugins like twixtor, the shutter speed shoud remain the same for natural motion blur, regardless of actual fps you are shooting on).
- Raw2DNG
- Initial and most thorough grading in Adobe Camera RAW
- Importing DNG's directly to AE (my slightly overclocked core i7 930 is enough for short tests, but for longer sequences i will use exporting to 16bit tiffs or smth)
- Twixtor pro to frame rate conversion.

JuanIrache

The last build it's giving me better results for the first 200 frames, but then I get drops more often than before. I'm using a Transcend class10 16gb

pavelpp

Got a crash after first time launch with this build. No issues afterwards, but my fav resolution width 1408 is gone.. Will have to downgrade

Chagalj

Quote from: Rewind on June 07, 2013, 10:10:55 AM
Now i'm getting stable 1280x536 (lovely 1:2.4 cinemascope ratio) at 18 fps, and with some effort and tricky twixtoring, i'm pretty sure i can shoot the whole short film entirely within the RAW workflow.

With all the fine detail, dynamic range, beautiful color reproduction and other flexibilities, we can now get a bunch of really shiny shots, guys.
Another test: https://vimeo.com/67710667

Looks great. Can you describe your workflow, please? Do you shoot in picture or movie mode, at what shutter speed and ISO? Raw2DNG to AE? When do you grade, in ACR or after you import dngs to AE?

mk11174

Quote from: pavelpp on June 07, 2013, 11:19:28 AM
Got a crash after first time launch with this build. No issues afterwards, but my fav resolution width 1408 is gone.. Will have to downgrade
See my newest post

mk11174

Anyone having hard time deciding which record module they like best out of Magic Unified vs the Tragic version, this will help you.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9v3l9lxfnmvbffg/Raw_MODULES.zip

Just use my latest bin to make sure your up to date on everything, but go into the ML/Modules folder on your card and delete raw_rec.mo and add these 2 files that are in this zip. You will have 2 new option within Magic Lantern.

When you decide which you like best, just delete the other module or just keep both, your choice.

e-man

Quote from: mk11174 on June 07, 2013, 12:02:40 PM
Anyone having hard time deciding which record module they like best out of Magic Unified vs the Tragic version, this will help you.

Just use my latest bin to make sure your up to date on everything, but go into the ML/Modules folder on your card and delete raw_rec.mo and add these 2 files that are in this zip. You will have 2 new option within Magic Lantern.

When you decide which you like best, just delete the other module or just keep both, your choice.

For me tragic if that one was with more resolution options.
here is my test.
in 720p mode got 1088x416 25fps continius

there are some pixels wrong is there any explanation why so? maby 720 mode?

but with the one from notdabod
i can get 1244x360 25fps at 720 mode

Canon 5d III with Sandisk SD and computerbay 1000x CF
Lens - MIR-10A, MC zenitar 50mm f1.7, Helios 44-2, soligor 35mm f2.8

dlrpgmsvc

Excuse my silly question, but: how to record raw in 1:1 crop mode, so no line skipping ? And how to record raw in no-crop mode (with line skipping??) ? Do "no crop mode" equals to line skipping entering into play ? many thanks !  ::)

JuanIrache

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 07, 2013, 02:36:14 PM
Excuse my silly question, but: how to record raw in 1:1 crop mode, so no line skipping ? And how to record raw in no-crop mode (with line skipping??) ? Do "no crop mode" equals to line skipping entering into play ? many thanks !  ::)

I'm not sure I understand the question but: In crop mode (5x, press focusing zoom on the camera and record from there) there is no line skipping. When the camera is not zoomed in (no-crop mode?), Canon's firmware reads some lines only.

Quote from: mk11174 on June 07, 2013, 12:02:40 PM

The more resolutions are available for our slow cameras... the better. Thanks!

pooli

Hi, I don't understand. downloaded here is the new raw2DNG
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/raw2DNG.exe
converts with stripes  :(

my old Converter makes it better!

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: tactzer0 on June 07, 2013, 08:15:43 PM
I got no love in "Share your videos" so I'll post it here as well.  I was trying to see if it's worth upscaling footage that's 1024x448 to 1080p or 1920x840 and here was my result.

The video you posted is 1920x840 (there are horizontal black bands in the upper and lower part): can you post a real 1920x1080 upscalig, just to taste it ? Many thanks !  ;)

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: Rewind on June 07, 2013, 10:10:55 AM

Another color test: https://vimeo.com/67710667

Marvelous !  ;)

Alex546

Thank you for the new version!
I get 1280x544 with 24 fps with Tragic RAW in 720p mode.

dlrpgmsvc

A very stupid question :

Testing raw video...
In Canon video mode i cannot set the shutter speed, ML bottom display says that it's fixed to 1/6 sec !
In Canon photo M mode I can set the shutter speed, ML bottom display says it's the value i'm setting, but at all effects it's overridden to 1/6 sec, and this is visible in the lv simulation and also in the playback !

Why !   :o

update : it's because i set fps override equal to 5fps... but why i cannot set a 1/1000 sec shutter speed with 5fps ? it should be perfectly legal...

glubber

@pooli: i made the same experience today, that an older version of raw2dng works better than the newest build for my 550D footage. But i'm not sure it's an result of other parameters (green and red pixels) so i stick for the old one for now.

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 07, 2013, 08:41:33 PM
The video you posted is 1920x840 (there are horizontal black bands in the upper and lower part): can you post a real 1920x1080 upscalig, just to taste it ? Many thanks !  ;)

1920x840 is 1:1.875 aspect ratio, where as 1920x1080 is 1:1.78. So to get a heigth of 1080 the width must be cropped from 2025 to 1920. ;)

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 07, 2013, 10:28:41 PM
A very stupid question :

Testing raw video...
In Canon video mode i cannot set the shutter speed, ML bottom display says that it's fixed to 1/6 sec !
In Canon photo M mode I can set the shutter speed, ML bottom display says it's the value i'm setting, but at all effects it's overridden to 1/6 sec, and this is visible in the lv simulation and also in the playback !

Why !   :o

update : it's because i set fps override equal to 5fps... but why i cannot set a 1/1000 sec shutter speed with 5fps ? it should be perfectly legal...

Ha! Just as i was quoting you, in order to give You a hint about FPS override, You gave yourself the right answer. LOL
Its not possible to vary shutterspeed in normal way while using FPS override. You can choose some variation of shutterspeed in Advanced options of override: opt for low light = 360°, low jello = 180°.
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

sharpshooter

For some reason this isn't working very well for me...
Apparently my Samsung 16GB Class 10 SDHC is below average in terms of speed.

I've tried every build posted here, and the more I test it the more I get shots only made of weird frames like this one I posted before:

How can this be ? At the first shots it worked just like expected, but now regardless of what build I try or settings, at this point 90% of all shots just end like that  :-\