550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzhwindtalker

Hey guys, here's my test, recorded at 1024*382 (max stable for me) Seems to be a lot of dropped (0KB) frames, it's not a bad tripod issue^^
EDIT : cant' find how to embeed vimeo, so I reuploaded to YT.

Raw2Dng > Ligthroom > Premiere
Browsing througth the footage took ages with my laptop!
https://vimeo.com/67499166
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

JohnBarlow

Can we have a feature to input custom aspect ratio and frame size via an editable data file?

It seems to me this would remove the need to beg for custom settings to be hard coded, which is a practice that has not worked for me ever, so far :)

Thanks

xaint

That's why I needed a low-level formatting:  :-\

dpiximaj

16fps @ 1280x640 RAW  https://vimeo.com/67514522  Thanks to mk11174!  Really quite amazing!

hammermina

iam shooting a short testfilm at 1280*544 at 18fps in 1080p mode....the images are amazing!!!

i recomend not to upscaling from 960 that ruined the wonderfull image...go down in framerates:-)

i put all my hope in a stable 1280*544 on 24fps maby a 10bit mode can fix that.

Chagalj

Quote from: dpiximaj on June 02, 2013, 10:00:06 PM
16fps @ 1280x640 RAW  https://vimeo.com/67514522  Thanks to mk11174!  Really quite amazing!
Beautiful shots! Shot one more, preferebly from the tripod.

mk11174

Thanks for all the comments and credit guys, but really Alex and the Devs deserve 100% of the credit for coming up with the idea and building this awsome module, I just helped get it to us faster. Thanks again! Hope you are having as much fun as me playing with a new module, it always makes you feel like you have a new camera everytime you get to play with a new feature from ML.  :D
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

shawnwytch

Do u think it looks more like we won't see 1080 at 24fps I may just sell this. And upgrade I've been holding off. Raw made me freeze

telecastDaveRI

You definitely are getting a lot of the credit mk11174, especially over on YouTube (I've seen your name mentioned a couple times - including on my video). But regardless of what part you play in the process, we all appreciate you putting them together for an easy download for us!!

I really thought we would be limited by the buffer/write speed of the 550D but it's amazing what the devs have been able to juggle to get the camera to write to the card so efficiently!

Anyway, I'll back away from posting now so that the devs can converse about what additional memory allocation we can squeeze out of these!

V1t0

A funny test on a slow Sandisk Extreme class10 SDHC 30MB/s (in reality 18-20MB/s write)
So the max size in continuos recording was 832x480 at 24p, i know, it is small resolution and it is a stupid test, but it was incredible the amount of information in grading  :o
I need to try with a faster SD to see higher resolutions!

https://vimeo.com/67526475

mk11174

Quote from: shawnwytch on June 03, 2013, 02:23:01 AM
Do u think it looks more like we won't see 1080 at 24fps I may just sell this. And upgrade I've been holding off. Raw made me freeze
Being that it is because of the sd controller card being the limiting part, I don't think we will ever get 24p at 1080 it is just a hardware limitation we can't overcome.

telecastDaveRI

Quote from: mk11174 on June 03, 2013, 03:38:56 AM
Being that it is because of the sd controller card being the limiting part, I don't think we will ever get 24p at 1080 it is just a hardware limitation we can't overcome.

How much more success do we anticipate? Do we believe we can get the shoot_malloc total any larger than it is, or is that exactly what the devs are investigating? (please don't misinterpret what I mean. I am not impatient. I am just making sure that we are all being realistic about how far we can push these devices before it doesn't have an impact) Do we believe that a lower bit rate will add any significant increase to write speed or is that like apples and oranges?

Also, I still see mention of people looking for faster cards, but am I correct in assuming that unlike the Mark 3, we are limited anyway because of the sd controller, so just that we are all on the same page, my 35MBps card should be sufficient then, correct? PS I mentioned in my last post that I would try to not post to free the forum up of clutter....I apologize :)

JuanIrache

Well, according to this bitrate calculator and considering the 22mbps buffer limit, we should be able to get stable 1280*544 24p. (Assuming we can use 10bit) That allows to export 2.35:1 720P video without any upscaling or frame interpolation (with black bars). That's bloody amazing, especially considering that the original purpose of Magic Lantern was to skip the audio auto-levels on the MarkII!

http://web.forret.com/tools/video_fps.asp?width=1280&height=544&fps=24&space=raw&depth=10

Crop mode is also a huge milestone. I'm not sure if it can be sent back to H264 video, to use it when Raw is not necessary.

Also, does somebody know if low res Raw will be able to get the full sensor by skipping lines? I mean, keep the vision angle regardless of the resolution.

Cheers!

otherman

what about send video data to USB, instead of SD card? Is it possibile?
I'm thinking of an app (on PC or on android tablet) recording the raw video; our DSLRs send liveview on USB, than it is theoricaly possible in some way.

(Sorry forma my english, it's not my language)

Thanks all the Devs for this amazing work!

cbmk

Quote from: otherman on June 03, 2013, 10:17:48 AM
what about send video data to USB, instead of SD card? Is it possibile?
I'm thinking of an app (on PC or on android tablet) recording the raw video; our DSLRs send liveview on USB, than it is theoricaly possible in some way.

(Sorry forma my english, it's not my language)

Thanks all the Devs for this amazing work!

No, the mini-USB 2.0 is actually slower than the SD controller, so just trying would be pointless. What could be interesting, however, is to try (if possible) making the HDMI clean 10 bit 1080p 16:9, and record externally to something like 10 bit Prores. It definitely would not be raw, but still miles better than the in-camera H.264.

mrwolf

Quote from: JuanIrache on June 03, 2013, 07:54:14 AM
Well, according to this bitrate calculator and considering the 22mbps buffer limit, we should be able to get stable 1280*544 24p. (Assuming we can use 10bit) That allows to export 2.35:1 720P video without any upscaling or frame interpolation (with black bars). That's bloody amazing, especially considering that the original purpose of Magic Lantern was to skip the audio auto-levels on the MarkII!

http://web.forret.com/tools/video_fps.asp?width=1280&height=544&fps=24&space=raw&depth=10

Nice tool, so if the limit is 22MB/s and we if we could adjust the size per px would these be the maximum resolutions the 550d could theoretically do @ 24p?

Ratio  Horizontal px  Vertical px  Bit Rate (MB/s)

Its pretty crazy what the ML team have been able to do thanks to all the devs for making this happen!

edit: Ignore my witterings I see the somone else mentioned the limit is 21.3MB/s.

dlrpgmsvc

@xaint and @mk11174 : do one of you already made a pull request about the new and last (and only one...  ::) ) modification ?   ;)
Do the old hack mods pull requests where already deleted or reversed ?
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

mk11174

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 03, 2013, 12:05:30 PM
@xaint and @mk11174 : do one of you already made a pull request about the new and last (and only one...  ::) ) modification ?   ;)
Do the old hack mods pull requests where already deleted or reversed ?
One of the other guys did it but it is all updated, the module everyone likes is from tragic-lantern though, not the unified, that is the only thing that can't change. But the one from the unified seems to be working nicely, there adding things to it but we can't use the features cause of no Stubs yet for 550D, nothing to increase our speed or anything, something with the playback.

pavelpp

One more sample from today 1408x480 @18fps

https://vimeo.com/67575591

So.. several bugs to report.
1) Deleting raw files does not work properly and I can't switch from one raw file to another for in camera playback
2) 10x zoom kills camera, so would be nice to have it disabled by default.
3) Something weird going on with aperture and shutter settings. I can't get the logic here, but they seem to be changing when I switch to 5x. Also exposure visually seems to be different after camera restart, though the aperture and shutter settings remain the same. Why are they shown in red btw? Shutter setting seems to have almost no effect, when I change it from 200 to anything up to 4000, only aperture affects the amount of light..Maybe I am missing something?
4) When I extract dng's they seem to be at a smaller resolution compared to settings in camera, why is it so? For example for 1408x480 video dng's are 1392×464.

xaint

Quote from: pavelpp on June 03, 2013, 05:53:54 PM
One more sample from today 1408x480 @18fps

http://youtu.be/bleWVuDiqtE

So.. several bugs to report.
1) Deleting raw files does not work properly and I can't switch from one raw file to another for in camera playback
3) Something weird going on with aperture and shutter settings. I can't get the logic here, but they seem to be changing when I switch to 5x. Also exposure visually seems to be different after camera restart, though the aperture and shutter settings remain the same. Why are they shown in red btw? Shutter setting seems to have almost no effect, when I change it from 200 to anything up to 4000, only aperture affects the amount of light..Maybe I am missing something?
4) When I extract dng's they seem to be at a smaller resolution compared to settings in camera, why is it so? For example for 1408x480 video dng's are 1392×464.

3) FPS override maybe?

pavelpp

@xaint, yes, fps override is constantly on at 18fps, so I am not changing it..

a1ex

Try the constant exposure option - it will not extend the shutter speed range, but will adjust ISO to compensate for that.

Pharinen

Quote from: pavelpp on June 03, 2013, 05:53:54 PM
Yeah, I have noticed the same.

notdabod

I started shooting raw yesterday on my t2i. Wow it's a new camera!

I'm a raw shootist for life. No going back.

I am only getting 70 frames at a time at 960-544, but still it's shockingly better then 1920-1080 smashed by h.264.

Thanks so much for everyone's hard work to make this happen.

mk11174

Here are 2 builds with the new Filemanager there working on. I added the Stub for SeekFile to get it going.

This is the build with Tragic-Lanterns more res option Raw Rec module:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/96zgrdjaubamjuh/ML_Fileman_Raw_Tragic.zip

This is the Magic-Lantern build with the regular Raw Rec module:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/411wvydehbwfxcw/ML_Fileman_Raw_Unified.zip

Anyone wondering the differ between the 2 builds, they are both from the Unified branch, the only differ is, the tragic one uses the Rec module from Tragic-Lantern, it just has differ options that most of you seem to enjoy, even new options now from the last build. And the Magic build has the Raw_Rec module that is with the Unified build, less options but for me seems more stable, but did not do alot of testing so don't quote me on it, both are cool though.

The main thing is, both have the new file manager that can be used to view all the raw videos you made, not just 1 like in the module menu.