550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: xaint on May 31, 2013, 11:27:02 PM
ok: good news: the cache hack is seems to be working, checking now...

Wow xaint ! I cannot believe !!! You are Always ahead ten miles ! Keep me informed about your checks results !  :o
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

laconiccrusader

what does this cache hack can do?

i wanna thanks all the devellopers and for your awesome work!
the 550D is now a top notch timelapse machine :D

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: laconiccrusader on May 31, 2013, 11:37:12 PM
what does this cache hack can do?

It allows to use the raw video feature without disabling other features, like now. So no more need to have two different sd cards (one for raw video and one for all the other ML features). Only one .bin file, only one version ! It allows to have more memory to fit all the ML stuff together with raw video recording option !

sonic

Quote from: xaint on May 31, 2013, 11:27:02 PM
ok: good news: the cache hack is seems to be working, checking now...

Just when I found out how to dump the ROM from the correct address 0xFF010000 X-)

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: sonic on May 31, 2013, 11:55:48 PM
Just when I found out how to dump the ROM from the correct address 0xFF010000 X-)

Good ! Keep on with the good work ! This will be of help for future needs of disassebly for future features and needs ! I added this info to the header post ! Many thanks !

xaint

Ok, now where the hell can i find a magic.sym? :D :D

no matter, problem solved!

hammermina

hello guys

i have read that 550d can use sdxc cards is that right?an will this brings more speed.

" Die Serienbildgeschwindigkeit ist nominell von 3,4 auf 3,7 Bildern gesteigert bei reduzierter Serienbildfolge (6 RAWs bzw. 34 JPEGs gegenüber 9/170 einer 500D). In unserem Test ergaben sich im Schnitt 3,5 B/Sek. bei ebenfalls 6 RAWs in unverzögerter Folge. Gegenüber der 500D konnnte die Wartezeit zwischen zwei Bursts von 10 auf 7 Sekunden gedrückt werden, schnelle SD-Karten vorausgesetzt (mit 30MB/Sek.). Unterstützt werden jetzt auch SDXC-Karten ("eXtended Capacity") mit theoretischen 300 MB/Sek und 2 Terabyte Kapazität. Ersteres dürfte die Wartezeiten zwischen einzelnen Serienbildsalven an der 550D nochmal spürbar verkürzen, derzeit sind aber keine höheren Transferraten als 30MB/Sek. bei den SD-Karten verfügbar."

this is from review 2010

sdxc work on exFat.

what if i want to try to format a card to exfat?

will it work?

pavelpp

Quote from: hammermina on June 01, 2013, 06:58:52 AM
hello guys

i have read that 550d can use sdxc cards is that right?an will this brings more speed.

" Die Serienbildgeschwindigkeit ist nominell von 3,4 auf 3,7 Bildern gesteigert bei reduzierter Serienbildfolge (6 RAWs bzw. 34 JPEGs gegenüber 9/170 einer 500D). In unserem Test ergaben sich im Schnitt 3,5 B/Sek. bei ebenfalls 6 RAWs in unverzögerter Folge. Gegenüber der 500D konnnte die Wartezeit zwischen zwei Bursts von 10 auf 7 Sekunden gedrückt werden, schnelle SD-Karten vorausgesetzt (mit 30MB/Sek.). Unterstützt werden jetzt auch SDXC-Karten ("eXtended Capacity") mit theoretischen 300 MB/Sek und 2 Terabyte Kapazität. Ersteres dürfte die Wartezeiten zwischen einzelnen Serienbildsalven an der 550D nochmal spürbar verkürzen, derzeit sind aber keine höheren Transferraten als 30MB/Sek. bei den SD-Karten verfügbar."

this is from review 2010

sdxc work on exFat.

what if i want to try to format a card to exfat?

will it work?

SD card is not the bottleneck - it's card controller in our camera which limits the write speed.

hammermina

yes i know...:-( but when the controller sees that is an exfat card it will go higher?

i formatet a card in exfat and shoot normal raw burst and i mean its write a littlebit faster as on fat32!

the normal Ml 2.3 runs in exfat on my 550d

but when i will install nightlybuild the comes an error on winrar

Audionut

Quote from: hammermina on June 01, 2013, 08:53:03 AM
yes i know...:-( but when the controller sees that is an exfat card it will go higher?

The controller is limited to a certain speed regardless of how the card is formatted.

hammermina

can we do something on the controller?replace or overclocking...

sorry for this stupid questions am totally a technicnoob:-)

a1ex

Quote from: hammermina on June 01, 2013, 09:04:29 AM
sorry for this stupid questions am totally a technicnoob:-)

Just stop asking them.

mohanohi

DOP, Editor, DIT, PL 5D, Ultra primes, Kowa lens

NedB

@mk11174: With your latest "ML_Wave_BetterMod_Raw Rec" build, I'm getting 1152x432 and also 1216x416 (both at 23.976fps) continuous, quite a step up from your/our previous best of 960x480! So 1280xsomething can't be far away and suddenly we're only uprezzing by 50% to get to 1080p rather than 100%. And all this in only a week or so, amazing.

Also noticing that with the new build I can really go up to (and over a little bit, I think) the 20MB/s mark on a continuous basis, whereas on the older builds, the limit seemed to be about 16MB/s. So there must be much better buffering and/or more memory available with your new build. Hope that doesn't merit a "duh".

My results above were in video mode, with hack on, no sound (obviously). Looking forward to more programming goodness in the coming days. Let me know if there are any tests I can/should do to help the effort. Cheers!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

NedB

@mk11174: Oh, and one more thing. SanDisk ExtremePro 8GB 95MB/s, formatted with exFat and 16384KB cluster size. Have no idea if these details are relevant or useful...
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

mohanohi

Now i am off to purchase SanDisk ExtremePro 8GB 95MB/s ...  :)
DOP, Editor, DIT, PL 5D, Ultra primes, Kowa lens

hammermina

at NedB how you get running exfat?

i tried it but only the officiel 2.3 build works on exfat .when i want to copy the nightlybuild i get an error:-(

NedB

@hammermina: Format the card in Windows, you can choose exFat and also the cluster size ("Allocation Unit Size"). Then to make it bootable, run EOScard (google it). Next step is important: forget about the nightly build. Just use the link provided above in Reply #262 by MK11174. Unrar the contents and copy them as is to your SD card. This worked for me. Cheers!

deleted.account

exfat works fine with 550d, just format the card with eoscard utility, make it bootable, install stable ML through eoscard if you wish then substitute files and folders with MK11147 build.

**EDIT**

Posted sametime as NedB. :-)

hammermina

i tried it the same way but without clustersize...

i will try it in the afternoon:-)

NedB

cinedude

By the way, if anyone is looking to buy SD cards...From what I've gathered, these Sandisk Extremepro cards are using something called UHS to enhance the read/write speed. The 550D isn't compatible with UHS, so it defaults to the maximum read/write speed of a regular class 10 card.

Something to think about if you're off to buy a really expensive card.

EDIT: I'm testing with a class 10 card, seems that the speeds are no where nearing what NedB got...
EDIT 2: Well now I'm running a benchmark test, and the card seems to actually be SLOWER than my class 6 one.  ???

pavelpp

spent a lot of time trying to find this topic. Looks like it has been moved without any notice. Good that I had my history

Here's another test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRFjtxzRPLk

1344x448 (3:1) @ 18fps

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: sonic on May 31, 2013, 11:55:48 PM

Do you have found the disassembly start address of both ROM files ? And what they are ?
Do you have found what is the rom file where there is the stuff we are searching for ? ROM0.BIN or ROM1.BIN ?

mk11174

I was able to get more memory going by adding the cach_hack code, but still believe we need 2 addresess from our firmware to make it work all the way.
By adding this code:
#define HIJACK_CACHE_HACK
#define HIJACK_CACHE_HACK_BSS_END_ADDR   0xFF01109C
#define HIJACK_CACHE_HACK_BSS_END_INSTR  0xFF010134
#define HIJACK_CACHE_HACK_INITTASK_ADDR  0xFF0110A8
#define ML_RESERVED_MEM (1024*1024 - BMP_VRAM_SIZE - 0x200) // see zebra.c, bvram_mirror_start initialization, and boot-hack.c

I think we just need these addresses to make it fit our firmware, if I am right?
#define HIJACK_CACHE_HACK_BSS_END_ADDR   0xFF01109C
#define HIJACK_CACHE_HACK_BSS_END_INSTR  0xFF010134

But whatever this does, it increases our memory in all places but our buffer mem of coarse, and I can enable a few more things but not much cause it still crashes.

Compare my screen cap to your cam and see.

I still cant look through the firmware.

I tried the disassemble.pl but alls that did was give me more files I don't know what to do with.

I do have full version of IDA advanced 6.1 which I did use porting the a3300 but they had idc scripts that found names for all the addresses auto, I am not finding any idc scripts for IDA to work with 550D firmware, if I am wrong, someone please point me in the right place?
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i