550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deleted.account

Quote from: pavelpp on May 30, 2013, 02:43:06 PM
Someone mentioned line skipping. Would it be possible to take use just the center of the sensor to avoid line skipping? Just like GH2 does in EX. Tele Conv. mode ?

It was me mention line skip vs crop, photo mode vs video mode. I'd read a how to by RenatoPhoto on how to do a crop mode using the 5D3 but can't find the post now.

**EDIT** Found It.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5451.0

OOPs no this one. :-)

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 16, 2013, 03:11:00 PM
The beauty of this video is that there is ZERO loss of detail when compared to a photo taken a full resolution.  Of course the photo covers the entire size of the sensor 5760x3840 pix while the video is just a small portion of the sensor in my case I am generating a video of 1920x1080 pix.   There is no down-sampling of the sensor so the image is a 1:1 crop.

Since we are using 1920 pix out of the 5760 pix (width) the zoom factor is 5760/1920 = 3X.

pavelpp

aha, so choosing x5 zoom will do just that, right? Cool! Maybe I will finally get less frames skipped!

mk11174

Interesting results. With new stable build, after disabling the same features from I did in the other builds, the mem was not enough because with the new stable build they added in flexinfo, so I have to turn a few more things off to make raw rec work, but when it does work, I can now get 960x480 stable with no skips. I was only able to get 960x408 before, I also noticed the malloc mem is now 31M / 75M  not 28M / 68M anymore. So we have more me which makes us able to get 960x480 Not sure what was changed that effected our memory, alls I see new is the flexinfo stuff.

Ok, update: Well it is not stable build that changed the memory, U just tried it without an modifications and it shows 28M 68M so whatever gave more memory was one of the features I turned off to get raw rec to work with the new stable source/ aka Nightly build. So now I need to track down what is gave more memory.

The new nightly builds is not helping us much with Raw Rec though since we have to turn off more features to get it to run, so maybe I can stick with the source I have been using and see if I can get more mem from that one this way we don't lose anymore ML features then we already did.

Update:2 Well it seems it is in the source, something changed from the last nightly build, cause wth the last nightly we get lower memory, with the latest changeset we get more memory, so maybe the fix 1% came up with.

Ok, say we can thank 1% for his tweak to exmem which got us more memory to use 960x480 stable, I confirmed afte going back a few changesets to the one he tweaked that it is the one that did it.

Now to add this change to our old source so we dont lose more features.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

NedB

@mk11174: If you need a tester ;) for the build which gives you 960x480 stable, please count me in. Link? Thanks!

Best,

NedB

P.S. All this attention to the "20MB SD Controller limit" makes me think of the days when the idea of getting raw video out of a DSLR was a complete joke. Something tells me this too shall pass and one of the devs or another genius lurking in the shadows will figure out a way of allowing the DSLR's with "slow" SD Controllers to nevertheless approach 1920x1080. Put it this way: I wouldn't bet against these guys!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

pavelpp

mk11174, can you share the build you run stable at 960x480? I did not quite understand what I need besides the latest nightly...

NedB

@pavelpp: You don't need the latest nightly. mk11174 used the latest changeset (even newer than the latest nightly) to compile his latest build, with which he was able to get 960x480 stable. If mk11174 decides to share this build or a variation of it, my experience is that you won't need anything but what he shares (of course your SD card must be bootable). Cheers!
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

pavelpp

@NedB, cool! Meanwhile I ran some side by side tests of my Lumix GH2 with 100Mbps hack ([email protected]) and 550d at 1200x400@18fps raw and I see that Canon is not even close in terms of details.. Maybe I am not doing post processing properly? I convert with raw2dng, then export dng's to 16 bit tiff and then encode with ffmpeg using lossless libx246... One thing I noticed is that my video suffers from magenta

see the result http://l.bitcasa.com/MhTBidmb

gopzchile

Anybody can upload the last version of ML to shoot in raw? Thank!

mk11174

Don't worry, I will share, I am just trying to get as many things activated as possible with the new source, I promise I will upload it soon with all the files you need.

gopzchile

NedB

@mk11174: Thanks a lot for your hard work. We are certainly victims of the old (Chinese?) curse: May you live in interesting times...

Cheers!

telecastDaveRI

I had a thought recently that I am unsure will have an impact.

I know the most recent stable build of ML latern has a bitrate adjustment. So instead of 14, my assumption was that we could adjust that to .7x (which if my math is correct is a little less than 10).

Does it not work that way? Or with smaller data rate will there be more chance of dropped frames? (I know if I don't encode my videos with a large enough data rate, there is/was a chance of "skipping")

Just a thought/query. Forgive me if any of my information is wrong or if this is off-track.

NedB

@telecastDaveRI: As far as I know, the bitrate adjustment in ML applies to the final H.264 encoding, and wouldn't apply at all to getting raw video out of the DSLR. In other words, the data rate for raw (at 14-bit) is what it is, proportional to the dimensions of the video. The raw hack doesn't do any processing (other than cropping) of the camera-provided raw feed, so there is no place in this chain of events to apply the .7x throttle you are suggesting. Apparently other devs and assorted brainiacs are working on reducing the number of bits of raw data written to the SD card from 14 to 12 or 10. This would have a slight effect on the bitrate (either 12/14, about 15% less, or 10/14, about 29% less), and get us from the currently stable 960x408 (or 480, as mk11174 has just informed us) up to the next step or so on the ladder (1120xwhatever). So if we are willing to accept less color fidelity, we can get a slightly sharper picture. Cheers!

telecastDaveRI

Very well explained NedB - I wasn't sure.

Here's to hoping they can figure it out. At the end of day, it doesn't matter if we can record raw video on these cameras at 1080p, for example, as they were never designed to do that anyway. It is just amazing that we can do it at all!!

That being said, it still does give us something to strive for!! ya never know...

and thanks again for the info.

mk11174

I kept on as many things as I could with the updated source with the flexinfo added, I wanted us to have the most recent updated source so I just made that one work for us, we will have the main features, at least the things I think we need with Raw Rec, if we want other features, those really have nothing to do with Raw Rec so best to use another Bin without Raw Rec.

If 960x480 does not work for you first try, dont give up, it usually works 2nd try and on.

Hacked mode does not seem to help.

Use Video mode, works best.

I notice wav recording does work in Raw Rec, it does create wavs fine even though we get a crash report, but this doesnt seem to be with Raw Rec, cause I see we get same error just trying to Record wav file in the Audio Menu without Raw Record on at all. I just kept recording with crash on screen, it still made new wav files, but probably best to not even use it, use a portable audio recorder like whats best for FPS feature.

The only Direct Draw feature that seemed to effect Raw Rec at 960x480 was focus peaking, but not always.

I see they still did not make a way to save Raw Rec settings like how other settings are saved.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9agq38cf5mafb3c/ML_960x480_Raw_Rec.rar

hammermina

nice one mk11147;-)

i got 1280*480 19 fps without skipping...now my batts run out >:(

i put all my hope in a 12 or 10 bit mode.

big applaus for you developing guys!!!

tomorrow i will make more test.

antoinecormier

Thanks again mk11174 !

Would It be possible to use this build with the previous raw rec (ML_Raw_fps_ETTR contains it !) ?
It had some pretty cool features (such as deleting RAW videos, and first and foremost, It had much more resolutions choices !).
It could be awesome, if the new build would let us do 1100ish resolution without having to use FPS override..

I've tried to use the new .bin with the previous raw rec but the module wasn't able to load.

I might be misunderstanding. Don't blame me ! :)

Have a nice day/night all !

(and once again, I apologize for my pretty weak english  :-[ )

pavelpp

telecastDaveRI

@pavelpp 720p @12fps....continuous? (I assume)

pavelpp

1 skipped frame in the beginning, then continuous. I stopped it after 1000 frames

UPDATE: 960x544 (16:9) @ 20fps continuous

I would prefer a 1200 width option back, jumping from 960 to 1280 is a bit too much, maybe even something in between would not hurt.

hethfilms

Hey everyone! Just tested mk11174´s latest version. Best I could squeeze out of it was 1280x544 (2.35) @18 fps continuos. That´s already pretty awesome. I´m amazed how great and clean you still can get the picture even in low light. Was using an old 50 mm 1.4 lens.

I´ve tried bringing the clip to 24 fps using After Effects CS6 time remapping and interpolation, it actually was flawless, but of course it´s really time consuming. If we can bring it to 720p cinescope (2.35) @ 24p I´d be more than satisfied with that. It would actually be unbelievably cool to see something like that from a little consumer camera like the 550d. :)

I can also second that 720p (1280x720) @ 12 fps works, first try skipped frames, second try flawless continous shooting. That way you can just half the speed of the clip and use pixelmotion in After Effects to get 24p, although still not the real deal of course ;)

Oh yes I was using a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I 8 GB card with 95 mb/s (I know probably overkill, but I just wanted to make sure, that the SD card is not the bottle neck here...)

mk11174

Quote from: pavelpp on May 30, 2013, 10:39:08 PM
I would prefer a 1200 width option back, jumping from 960 to 1280 is a bit too much, maybe even something in between would not hurt.
No prob, I will try to add back in the raw_rec module from before and compile it in to get the other module menu for raw rec, I to thought it was cooler, better to test with source mostly left untouched first, but since it works I will try to add that back in for sure.

By the way, BIG thanks to 1% for getting more mem out of the main source! Only thing that help us with this build even if we had to lose a few features, but nothing important at least.

pavelpp

btw, raw playback in camera crashes it - have to pull out the battery.

mk11174

Quote from: pavelpp on May 30, 2013, 11:03:39 PM
btw, raw playback in camera crashes it - have to pull out the battery.
I am sure it will crash doing that, the new source added a few things that used up more of our memory so we are back at the border line again. But at least we get bigger size with Raw Rec!

Maybe when I add back in the last module from last build, maybe it will work better.

pavelpp

Thanks mk11174! Will continue experimenting tomorrow.. now off to bed..