550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qsara

Quote from: JohnBarlow on May 29, 2013, 02:47:38 PM
Hints for 550D users

1 Record 12 FPS and use Twixtor to 24 FPS -- see what Twixtor can do here
https://vimeo.com/54986947#

2 Record 720P mode and scale height by 1.66x -- 720P mode has pixel aspect ratio embedded

3 Record with 2x scope at 12 FPS, tested with 1360 x 694 for 2.35 and 1440 x 694 for 2.48
Stretch 1360 x 694 to 1632 x 694 (2.35) and 1440 x 694 to 1728 x 694 (2.48)

you're just speaking theoretically, please do it and share the result with us. we're all burning time on our 550Ds here.

qsara

Quote from: pooli on May 29, 2013, 04:08:54 PM
Please tell me, is the ability to record full RAW on the 550d in the future, we can hope for it, or is it maybe never?

full-what? full-hd? yeah its impossible with 14bit raw at 20MB/s record rate.

we're already capturing 24fps 960x320px RAW Video on 550D, an it up-scales easily to 720p.

al vilar

Can anyone provide me the latest nightly link for 550d raw to test?

Thanks

aombk

here is what i havent figured out.
does raw recording work the same way foe every canon eos camera?
you set the resolution and you get a crop of a line skipped  frame?

all i can do with my 550d is record small resolutions cropped but some people here are comparing  h264 1080p full sensor videos with upscaled sub1080p resolution0s. but the fov is the same. even with 550d.
how do they do that?

aombk

i guess what im trying to ask is, can we record full sensor raw? (no matter what resolution)
5d3 does that and with resolution close to full hd, right?

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: JohnBarlow on May 29, 2013, 01:41:04 PM
No bad pixels on sensor!

Its the same issue on 600d that was fixed

see spinkle fix build 600d...

I tried to search the forum for this 600d fix, but I cannot find it. Can you give a link ? So I can try to port the fix into 550d also ! Many thanks !  ;)
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

JohnBarlow

I used the one from this page

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-2.0/downloads
[600D] Still Sprinkle Free.zip   281.4 KB   2013-05-27   153

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on May 29, 2013, 06:56:50 PM
I tried to search the forum for this 600d fix, but I cannot find it. Can you give a link ? So I can try to port the fix into 550d also ! Many thanks !  ;)

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: JohnBarlow on May 29, 2013, 07:24:09 PM
I used the one from this page

[600D] Still Sprinkle Free.zip   281.4 KB   2013-05-27   153

Thanks. Unfortunately it's a compiled version. I need the sources of this version, but i cannot find them inside the commits. Do this correction was already merged into the official ML nightly build ? If yes, I can check in the official repository current sources.
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

mk11174

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on May 29, 2013, 07:34:13 PM
Thanks. Unfortunately it's a compiled version. I need the sources of this version, but i cannot find them inside the commits. Do this correction was already merged into the official ML nightly build ? If yes, I can check in the official repository current sources.
Same here, I see he included a bin file so I dont know if there are any changes that need to be done to the source too besides just replace the rec_raw.mo and magic.sys file included. I havent had a chance just to try it, I will try with the latest source once I get a free chance for sure.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

JohnBarlow

Maybe you can find the info from user 1% ?

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on May 29, 2013, 07:34:13 PM

deleted.account

Quote from: CFP on May 29, 2013, 03:28:20 PM
There's a feature in the newest Magic Lantern builds that allows you to change the picture quality for photos inside the Magic Lantern menu.
Usually this is only possible in Canon menu. You know, that are the settings like "L" (For Large JPEGs) or "RAW+L" (For Large JPEGs and Canon raw pictures).
And since the Rebel line had only one size for raw pictures, ML added two more sizes: MRAW and SRAW (Medium and Small). They don't work properly but they affect the size of the buffer. And that's the important thing: The normal size of the buffer is 68 Megabyte. With MRAW it's only 36 Megabyte but with SRAW it becomes 96 Megabyte. And with a bigger buffer you can record more frames, even in higher resolutions.

SRAW has nothing to do with crop modes. And it doesn't affect the image quality of the raw videos. It only increases the size of the buffer.

But when SRAW doesn't work on your cameras then 1% probably was right when he said that the 550D is actually the worst camera for raw video. But don't worry, 600D is the second worst :P

And keep in mind that when shooting in Canon's 720p mode you'll get even more aliasing than in 1080p or 480p mode since it has even more line skipping. It's only usefull if you want to get as much width as possible to keep the crop factor small.

CFP thanks for such a detailed reply. Regarding the buffer size, if buffer is 'Shoot malloc total' yes I see 68MB. Cheers for the explanation.

notdabod

Quote from: qsara on May 29, 2013, 04:21:00 PM
full-what? full-hd? yeah its impossible with 14bit raw at 20MB/s record rate.

we're already capturing 24fps 960x320px RAW Video on 550D, an it up-scales easily to 720p.

WOW!

Would you please share your steps to getting RAW working on 550D?

I think we can assume that everyone has the last firmware from canon and ML, but what next?

I did get RAW working on my friends 5dM2, is it as simple as that?

Just drag and drop the right files from the link below on the SD card and reformat?

Thanks

3pointedit

I managed to get my camera to crash shooting RAW. Just dropped battery and I was good to go. I noticed that I have to setup the RAW feature in video shoot mode, then shoot in photo mode. At the end of a recording using 1:1 ratio the camera hung and created a error file. I guess I should pass this on, but I'm not sure if the core Devs are interested at this early time of 550D implementation.

I gather there is no way to get full FOV due to memory restrictions. So there are no additional line skips available? Grateful that there are at least an overlayed shooting box :)
550D on ML-roids

mk11174

Quote from: 3pointedit on May 30, 2013, 03:42:01 AM
I managed to get my camera to crash shooting RAW. Just dropped battery and I was good to go. I noticed that I have to setup the RAW feature in video shoot mode, then shoot in photo mode. At the end of a recording using 1:1 ratio the camera hung and created a error file. I guess I should pass this on, but I'm not sure if the core Devs are interested at this early time of 550D implementation.

I gather there is no way to get full FOV due to memory restrictions. So there are no additional line skips available? Grateful that there are at least an overlayed shooting box :)
No, cant really even worry about crashes using Raw Rec, cause this build is just a build for us to at least use it. The only stable release you can count on is the full build which does not include Raw Rec because of memory issues.

deleted.account

Quote from: 3pointedit on May 30, 2013, 03:42:01 AM

3point, use video mode for raw, forget photo mode, it doesn't offer 1:1 vs line skipped, I was mistaken, only 5DIII has that option so far I think.

I'm getting continuous using 960x540 at 2.35:1 (960x408) with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s although max is about 21.5MB/s through SD controller. I have Global Draw on, the scopes, peaking and zebras then clear overlays automatically when recording and drew a small box on an LCD sticky screen protector for the white rectangle to help framing.

Yeah for sure, a build that could keep the framing box on but all other stuff off when recording and not have to keep navigating through resolution and aspect ratio every time switch camera back on, being able to set a default res and ar would be useful. :-)

3pointedit

Hmmm, I seem to have the framing box in photo mode?

All a bit of a sore point as I cannot get raw2dng to work anyway. So all I have seen are black and white previews :P
550D on ML-roids

deleted.account

raw2dng.exe is a command line tool? So you could fire up a terminal with Run cmd from your Windows start menu, change directory to your raws and raw2dng exe with cd whatever then type raw2dng M000000.RAW, hit return and that should do it. Otherwise could try one of the batching tools from the Post Pro thread?

pavelpp

so.. 550d seems to be useless for raw, because in order to compare it to a hacked Lumix GH2 it needs to record at least in the same resolution.

Videoteq

"raw2dng.exe is a command line tool? So you could fire up a terminal with Run cmd from your Windows start menu, change directory to your raws and raw2dng exe with cd whatever then type raw2dng M000000.RAW, hit return and that should do it. Otherwise could try one of the batching tools from the Post Pro thread?"

On my Win 7 and Win 8 pc's I simply drag the raw file and drop onto raw2dng.exe and it produces all the dng's into the same directory as the raw2dnd.exe file. It's really quick too.

Unable to experiment on my 550D just now as I'm away till the weekend with other camera gear. Looks like good progress is being made though. I have a BMPCC on order so I won't be buying a 50D, but the 550D could be useful for green screen work maybe.

mk11174

For anyone wondering about the white rectangle and constant bitrate, these features are all enabled in the later release I posted with EttR and Crop in it, http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5582.msg40875#msg40875  I see the Raw rectangle as I record Raw, if this is the rectangle you mean, maybe you need to clear your ML config file, it is loaded and works. Let me know if this is the one your talking about.

I also get 960x408 at 24fps regardless if I turn global draw and any other feature off, so you should be able to keep everything on that is enabled for the release. Hack mode does seem to stop the skipping with 960x408, it always skips after 72 frames 1st try but the 2nd and next tries till I reboot cam all are no skip. I use 45 MB/s sandisk extreme and yes, only get max 20-21 mb/s cause that is as fast as the cameras controller will record no matter how fast your card is.

3pointedit

Yes the white rectangle is the one I meant and that is the build I am using too. The rectangle matches recorded result in photo mode, but not video mode (I think).
550D on ML-roids

mk11174

Quote from: 3pointedit on May 30, 2013, 01:46:20 PM
Yes the white rectangle is the one I meant and that is the build I am using too. The rectangle matches recorded result in photo mode, but not video mode (I think).
I always use video mode, but your saying its there but does not match what your recording, I will have to check now. This kind of stuff I wont be able to fix if it is a bug cause this has nothing to do with memory or the features I have enabled, I have not messed with the Raw Rec module this is from the latest unified build from the stable release, alls I did was turn features off that are not used much to get more memory, non of that will effect how Raw Rec works.

mk11174

Hmm, no issues in video mode, I just tested it and the rectangle is right on target for 960x408, is that the res you are using?

On target in photo mode as well at least while I have rectangle centered, did not try moving rectangle, but I know panning feature works when I use it to move rectangle and video recorded follows rectangle.

One thing I noticed, recording in video mode is more stable, very hard to keep from skipping frames in photo mode, I see no reason to use photo mode, video mode seems best while using Raw Rec. No skips using 960x408 except very 1st try.

deleted.account

Quote from: mk11174 on May 30, 2013, 01:44:12 PM
For anyone wondering about the white rectangle and constant bitrate, these features are all enabled in the later release I posted with EttR and Crop in it, http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5582.msg40875#msg40875  I see the Raw rectangle as I record Raw, if this is the rectangle you mean, maybe you need to clear your ML config file, it is loaded and works. Let me know if this is the one your talking about.

I think a little bit of misunderstanding here between the three of us. :-)

The white rectangle in raw record is the feature in question, but when testing what to switch on and off during recording to get a continuous 960x408 I found 'Clear Overlays' when recording solved drop outs, so I'd use focus peaking, zebras, white rectangle and raw histogram to compose and expose then when hitting record overlays were cleared, but of coarse this removed the white rectangle. :-( 

So to be able to switch off focus peaking, zebras and histogram when hitting record but leave white rectangle on might hopefully still prevent drop outs but give a framing target, currently I just drew a rectangle on a clear LCD protector with an indelible ink pen :-)

QuoteI also get 960x408 at 24fps regardless if I turn global draw and any other feature off, so you should be able to keep everything on that is enabled for the release. Hack mode does seem to stop the skipping with 960x408, it always skips after 72 frames 1st try but the 2nd and next tries till I reboot cam all are no skip. I use 45 MB/s sandisk extreme and yes, only get max 20-21 mb/s cause that is as fast as the cameras controller will record no matter how fast your card is.

I tried leaving overlays on and got dropped frames with a 95MB/s card (21.5MB/s controller max)

Regarding setting raw resolution in the menu it would be really good to set a default to 960x408 but it doesn't save in config, so every shot when turning cam back on we have to switch the resolution back from 1754x??? whatever it is, even though the 550D just isn't capable of that resolution anyway.

Obviously I'm not complaining, this is alpha experimental and I'm very grateful to you for the builds, we all are but would be great to smooth out some of the fiddling in camera.

On a positive, I too looking forward to trying out the tracking (panning) feature. :-)

I added to the confusion in an earlier post about photo mode vs video mode, CFP put me straight, bottom line no point using photo mode unless on a 5D MKIII. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5494.375

Quote from: CFP on May 29, 2013, 03:42:56 PM
It doesn't make any difference in picture quality and it should make no difference in performance. But in photo mode you can't set ISO, aperture and shutter speed manually. Sure, you can change the numbers but the actual aperture doesn't move if you change the number on the display.

So: For manual exposure control, record in Movie Mode.

pavelpp

Someone mentioned line skipping. Would it be possible to take use just the center of the sensor to avoid line skipping? Just like GH2 does in EX. Tele Conv. mode ?