550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3pointedit

So, I'm gunna give it a go today. What build/components should I look for for 550D? Are there an install instructions for 550D yet or do I just follow 5D stuff?
550D on ML-roids

Shawn_Lights

Quote from: 3pointedit on May 29, 2013, 12:27:39 AM
So, I'm gunna give it a go today. What build/components should I look for for 550D? Are there an install instructions for 550D yet or do I just follow 5D stuff?

Go to the link I posted a few post back. Copy the bin file and the raw module folder.

LeviBetz

Quote from: y3llow on May 28, 2013, 02:59:37 PM
Is this using the Photo mode ie: no line skipping or 1920x1080 video mode with line skipping?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0

I've only tried it out so far with the later, should I be using Photo mode 1:1 crop, is it even available for 550D? Haven't had chance to try yet.  I'm using MK11147's builds. Cheers.

**EDIT**

Nevermind, sorted, been so long since I used any mode other than video I'd forgotten how to use Livemode in 'M' or any other photo shooting mode. Photo modes give waaaaaay better output than video modes. 1:1 crop vs line skipped.

I was simply in video mode. I'll post up my results once I finish editing them. I'm not in love with the things I shot (stupid amounts of focus racking...) but the quality is great for "standard def"!

3pointedit

shawn_lights thanks for that I'm loosing track of where I see stuff in all these threads!

After recording some RAW I tried dropping the file on the rwa2dng.exe. It seems to run through all the images but doesn't render any out. I'm guessing they should end up in the root folder with the .exe (?), the app doesn't say the raw file is faulty or anything.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour. I thought it may have to do with the 550D raw files.

On windows machine.
550D on ML-roids

deleted.account

With MK11174's builds has anyone got 'Seperate WAV' working? I've switched it on in the audio menu rather than using 'Beep' although beep is useful to signal start and end of recording as I clear overlays on record but have no WAVs on the SD card.

Is Seperate WAV for recording to an external audio recorder? Anyone using an external audio recorder in any way with these raw builds?

nightvision04

Here's my results with 960 x 360. I've upscaled the results to 1920 x 720 (2.66:1). I used Raw2dng.exe for conversion, then imported into After Effects with a low saturation color profile. Finally, it was colored in Resolve. Coloring was a great challenge. It probably would have been near impossible if I didn't use a flat color profile.

Many thanks to Alex and MK11147

Enjoy :)

Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

pavelpp

mm, dunno, looks quite grainy to my eyes. Perhaps needs higher bit rate export before uploading to youtube?

nightvision04

Hmmm. I upscaled to 1080p before uploading, so you won't see the preserved resolution with watching on 1080p. Perhaps that's it?

I'm sure you know this... But again, it's only 960 x 360p.
Resolve Addict. ML RAW Addict. Contagious.

qsara

my screen at 1600x900, 720p seems really sharp, 1080p looks smooth, I prefer to upscale to 900px, although it can only viewable on my screen and 720p, still having problems to upscale to 1080..

I think we must exchange our 550D with 50D..

mk11174

Quote from: CFP on May 28, 2013, 11:18:02 PM

And once you 550D guys get the "SRAW" option back, you'll get at least continuous recording in 960 X 540 :D
I already tried to enable SRAW, our camera gets Assert errors with it on, that is probably why Alex has it disabled in the regular builds, it actually is still on in the regular builds, but it is used in the the feature AutoBurst Picture Quality, if you turn that on while set to RAW in canon menu you get an Assert error with our camera. And that is if I turn it on to be used like on your cam with this 550D Raw Video build or when I use it with the new nightly builds, doesn't help us at all.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

deleted.account

Could someone clarify then this sRAW, is this the difference between line skipped video mode vs 1:1 crop photo mode?

JohnBarlow

Getting odd sprinklies pixie dust on 720p mode using this hack

ML_Raw_fps_ETTR.rar

Tested up to 10gb , no frame outs, 1360 x 694 , 12fps, shutter override 1/48

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: JohnBarlow on May 29, 2013, 12:46:53 PM
Getting odd sprinklies pixie dust on 720p mode using this hack

ML_Raw_fps_ETTR.rar

Tested up to 10gb , no frame outs, 1360 x 694 , 12fps, shutter override 1/48

You have probably some bad pixels on the sensor: with normal video & photos they are masked in the canon firmware, but in ml raw not
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

LeviBetz

Here's my little test video. Although I think I over did it with the bass in the music... a lot...  ::)

Schmeknicolor

Just something that may have some sense...

People already noticed that changing to 720p in the Canon menu results in more frames captured, to me that means that the cpu and memory are still working out the original h264 video processing. Does this makes sense?
If it does, what about try to disable this or get a way of recording the raw video while in a photo mode?
It would free the cpu and memory.

pavelpp

Could it be that in 720p mode the captured area is actually smaller? That would explain the higher amount of frames. The picture I get in 720p mode is much grainier and noisier than in 1080p mode.

JohnBarlow

No bad pixels on sensor!

Its the same issue on 600d that was fixed

see spinkle fix build 600d...

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on May 29, 2013, 01:16:27 PM
You have probably some bad pixels on the sensor: with normal video & photos they are masked in the canon firmware, but in ml raw not

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: JohnBarlow on May 29, 2013, 01:41:04 PM
No bad pixels on sensor!

Its the same issue on 600d that was fixed

see spinkle fix build 600d...

Good to know ! Now I post this problem in the "state-of-the-art" head post of this thread ! Many thanks for your signaling !  :)
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

JuanIrache

Hi guys,

I'm just catching up with this topic. So my question might not make much sense.

Would this allow to create a non-raw cropped mode for the 550d? I assume buffer and card speeds will not be able to cope with 720 or 1080 raw frames, but is it possible to compress them and still select the area that is being recorded?

JohnBarlow

Hints for 550D users

1 Record 12 FPS and use Twixtor to 24 FPS -- see what Twixtor can do here
https://vimeo.com/54986947#

2 Record 720P mode and scale height by 1.66x -- 720P mode has pixel aspect ratio embedded

3 Record with 2x scope at 12 FPS, tested with 1360 x 694 for 2.35 and 1440 x 694 for 2.48
Stretch 1360 x 694 to 1632 x 694 (2.35) and 1440 x 694 to 1728 x 694 (2.48)

pavelpp

Quote from: JohnBarlow on May 29, 2013, 02:47:38 PM
3 Record with 2x scope at 12 FPS, tested with 1360 x 694 for 2.35 and 1440 x 694 for 2.48
Stretch 1360 x 694 to 1632 x 694 (2.35) and 1440 x 694 to 1728 x 694 (2.48)

I did not get that.. what do you mean?

CFP

Quote from: y3llow on May 29, 2013, 12:01:07 PM
Could someone clarify then this sRAW, is this the difference between line skipped video mode vs 1:1 crop photo mode?
There's a feature in the newest Magic Lantern builds that allows you to change the picture quality for photos inside the Magic Lantern menu.
Usually this is only possible in Canon menu. You know, that are the settings like "L" (For Large JPEGs) or "RAW+L" (For Large JPEGs and Canon raw pictures).
And since the Rebel line had only one size for raw pictures, ML added two more sizes: MRAW and SRAW (Medium and Small). They don't work properly but they affect the size of the buffer. And that's the important thing: The normal size of the buffer is 68 Megabyte. With MRAW it's only 36 Megabyte but with SRAW it becomes 96 Megabyte. And with a bigger buffer you can record more frames, even in higher resolutions.

SRAW has nothing to do with crop modes. And it doesn't affect the image quality of the raw videos. It only increases the size of the buffer.

But when SRAW doesn't work on your cameras then 1% probably was right when he said that the 550D is actually the worst camera for raw video. But don't worry, 600D is the second worst :P

And keep in mind that when shooting in Canon's 720p mode you'll get even more aliasing than in 1080p or 480p mode since it has even more line skipping. It's only usefull if you want to get as much width as possible to keep the crop factor small.

JohnBarlow

JohnBarlow

Using a 2x scope reduces this effect, since the sensor effectively sees a 2x vertically stretched image

Quote from: CFP on May 29, 2013, 03:28:20 PM

At keep in mind that when shooting in Canon's 720p mode you'll get even more aliasing than in 1080p or 480p mode since it has even more line skipping. It's only usefull if you want to get as much width as possible to keep the crop factor small.

pooli

Please tell me, is the ability to record full RAW on the 550d in the future, we can hope for it, or is it maybe never?