550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn_Lights

jtkleine

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't seem to be able to figure this out by myself. The resolutions that we are using with 550D -- are they 1:1 crops, or are they scaled down from some larger area of the sensor? I think I would prefer a 1:1 crop. I know the sensor has a bayer pattern, but still.

pavelpp

Shawn_Lights, can you share which build you are using? I am getting only 19fps stable with the same reso

Shawn_Lights

Quote from: pavelpp on May 27, 2013, 08:48:07 PM
Shawn_Lights, can you share which build you are using? I am getting only 19fps stable with the same reso

I used this build: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5582.msg40579#msg40579

Auto ETTR Build. I have a 45mb/s Sandisk Extreme card.

pavelpp

Quote from: Shawn_Lights on May 27, 2013, 09:05:53 PM
I used this build: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5582.msg40579#msg40579

Auto ETTR Build. I have a 45mb/s Sandisk Extreme card.

Hmm, I am using the same build, but my card is Toshiba 60mb/s. I should get another card..

Shawn_Lights

Shawn_Lights

handbanana

No. At these resolutions RAW seems pretty useless to me. I also have a 60D so I have been messing with that more, but I figured I'd try the 550D. 60D DNGs revert to 5600 Kelvin in Adobe Camera RAW and sometimes exposure seems off, but it's at higher resolutions for longer (although not continuously at 1280 wide so still pretty useless imo).

pavelpp

prabhath.mp

Hi All,

This query might have been already answered however could anyone please let me know how safe is the new update (for recording RAW on 550D) http://www.mediafire.com/download/37ag5vd6z7mm4vj/ML_Raw_fps_ETTR.rar - Has there been any update after this?

Can I use this on a 16GB Sandisk 30MB/s Class 10 card to record RAW?

Also, has anyone tried to copy these files from an Ubuntu operating system (13.04)? (I previously had Windows XP when I had copied version 2.3 to the SD card). Is the procedure still the same or would there be any compilation errors if I copy from any other operating system except Windows?

Sorry for asking too many questions but I am eager to know :)

Thanks for answering!

Cheers..
Knowledge enhances by sharing!
Every moment is a new learning experience!!
I use:-Camera: Canon 550D/T2i  Lens: Canon 50mm 1.8 II ; Canon kit (18-55 non IS) ; 55-250 EFS IS ; Macro converter tubes with AF.

LeviBetz

Guys! I'm so excited that it works on my 550D! Even at this low resolution, it's still a very cool filmic look! I had an idea though, what about B&W? Could we achieve higher resolutions in B&W? The files would be a third of the size (or so I'd imagine with only 1 channel)

pavelpp

Here's my quick test http://vimeo.com/67112590

My workflow on Mac:

1) raw2dng
2) batch convert in RPP > tiff (16-bit L Perceptual)
3) Terminal : ffmpeg -f image2 -r 24 -i %6d.tiff -vcodec libx264 -preset veryslow -qp 0 -pix_fmt yuv420p movie.mkv

Think I will play with Automator to make a script which will automate the whole process. As you can see the clip is very short, because it stops as soon as 1 frame drops.. I can allow skipped frames, then it drops a frame or two occasionally..

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also adjust color and exposure in RPP and save setting as directory default before loading all dng's

3pointedit

Ooh, that's pretty sweet. A very different look to regular h264. The low resolution makes it really soft, but the DR makes it sooooo filmic. I love it.

Ode to RAW:
If the 5D mkIII is the cine camera,
The 550D is the super 8 film maker!
Film is dead long live the Lantern

Shawn_lights those images are remarkably sharp! How many frames are you able to record in one shot? LV on or off?
550D on ML-roids

LeviBetz

This raw is kicking H.264's ass so hard it's almost funny. I just put together a little clip at 960x408 and I'd almost venture to say it appears sharper than the 1080 H.264.... I'll upload tomorrow, it looks very cool (with very little effort).

pavelpp

Looks like my Toshiba SD card is not stable, because sometimes I am able to capture quite a few frames in 960x408 @ 24fps, and next time it stops  immediately even at lower resolutions.

LeviBetz

It seems like there's a spike in nessecary transfer rate right at the start which kills it for some of the higher resolutions. I wonder if there's a way to solve this?

zenlenz

I've been playing with the first bin provided by mk11174 (thanks for that!) over the last couple of days. Even to my untrained, amateur eye the raw footage available to us now, beats that previous Canon mush we had to endure.

pavelpp

Quote from: LeviBetz on May 28, 2013, 12:31:52 PM
It seems like there's a spike in nessecary transfer rate right at the start which kills it for some of the higher resolutions. I wonder if there's a way to solve this?

I noticed that too

deleted.account

Quote from: LeviBetz on May 28, 2013, 12:07:56 PM
This raw is kicking H.264's ass so hard it's almost funny. I just put together a little clip at 960x408 and I'd almost venture to say it appears sharper than the 1080 H.264.... I'll upload tomorrow, it looks very cool (with very little effort).

Is this using the Photo mode ie: no line skipping or 1920x1080 video mode with line skipping?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0

I've only tried it out so far with the later, should I be using Photo mode 1:1 crop, is it even available for 550D? Haven't had chance to try yet.  I'm using MK11147's builds. Cheers.

**EDIT**

Nevermind, sorted, been so long since I used any mode other than video I'd forgotten how to use Livemode in 'M' or any other photo shooting mode. Photo modes give waaaaaay better output than video modes. 1:1 crop vs line skipped.

Shawn_Lights

Quote from: 3pointedit on May 28, 2013, 11:45:50 AM
Ooh, that's pretty sweet. A very different look to regular h264. The low resolution makes it really soft, but the DR makes it sooooo filmic. I love it.

Ode to RAW:
If the 5D mkIII is the cine camera,
The 550D is the super 8 film maker!
Film is dead long live the Lantern

Shawn_lights those images are remarkably sharp! How many frames are you able to record in one shot? LV on or off?

LV was on. I actually had to stop the recording. It was running continuously.

bzhwindtalker

Hello guys, I'm new here, I just dowloaded and installed the custom raw firmware, my card is pretty shitty I can't even get continuous 940p, but I noticed I get repetabily +20% frames when I choose 720p60 from the canon menu VS 1080p24.
Can someone confirm this behaviour?
Thanks for the nice work guys!
Adam
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

pavelpp

Managed to squeeze out 30 frames of 720p @ 23fps

http://vimeo.com/67151500

406p @ 23fps (720x406) seems to be stable for me

http://vimeo.com/67151498

Shawn_Lights

Hopefully the 10bit hack will help us get closer to full hd. We can only wish.

CFP

Quote from: Shawn_Lights on May 28, 2013, 10:24:35 PM
Hopefully the 10bit hack will help us get closer to full hd. We can only wish.
Sorry but even 10-bit won't solve the 21 Megabyte/s write speed issue. It should allow us to record 1280 X 550. That's a nice 21:9 aspect ratio.
(1280 X 550 X 10 / 8 X 24 = 20 Megabye/s)

And once you 550D guys get the "SRAW" option back, you'll get at least continuous recording in 960 X 540 :D